CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › The Franchises › Friday the 13th Catch-All
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Friday the 13th Catch-All - Page 2

post #51 of 1212
Huge bummer. I think if anything the 13th Friday film should be huge and grandiose. Found footage would just box in the potential and really limit what they can do.

Shit I'd take another VS. film over cheap found footage nonsense.
post #52 of 1212
Hopefully, it's just a YouTube clip of someone doing a speed run of "Friday The 13th" on NES.
post #53 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J View Post

It's all about Amy Steel for me:



Damn right.
post #54 of 1212
They should totally call the next movie "Friday: The 13th."
post #55 of 1212

I just want to see a character who's filming start doing "ki ki ki ma ma ma" music to himself as he's walking through the woods.

post #56 of 1212
I never understood why part 7 gets no love, growing up it was always my favorite. The way he was resurrected, fighting someone with supernatural powers and some great kills (the sleeping bag slammed against the tree) were all cool and alotta fun. I loved Jason's design with being able to see his decomposed body and its Kane Hodder's best performance
post #57 of 1212
Made my dad stay at the drive-in theater until well after midnight on a school night to see The New Blood.
post #58 of 1212
It may sound weird but my favorite death in the series is Crispin Glover's corkscrew and clever death. There's something about his reaction to the corkscrew, his inability to scream and complete panic that really alarms me, then he gets his face split open. I love it.

But my favorite character is Demon. I love him singing in the shitter.
post #59 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynis View Post

Huge bummer. I think if anything the 13th Friday film should be huge and grandiose. Found footage would just box in the potential and really limit what they can do.

Shit I'd take another VS. film over cheap found footage nonsense.

 

At least it's a different take on it.  

post #60 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccc View Post
 

 

At least it's a different take on it.  

 

Different meaning "fucking lazy and pointless" in this instance.

post #61 of 1212
"Fucking lazy and pointless" is the glue that holds this series together!
post #62 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post
 

 

Different meaning "fucking lazy and pointless" in this instance.

 

What?!?!   The whole series if fucking lazy and pointless.  Why not try to do something different with the formula.  It's been beaten to death for 25 years.  With a machete!  

post #63 of 1212
Harumph!
post #64 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post

Different meaning "fucking lazy and pointless" in this instance.


The series is not exaclty known as fine art you know.....not that I have any hope in a found footage addition to the series...actually I'd like to get the Paramount people to fucking realize that a Friday the 13th set during the winter months has not been done....who knows maybe the other side of Crystal Lake has a ski resort we have not yet seen...
post #65 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasteofTape View Post


actually I'd like to get the Paramount people to fucking realize that a Friday the 13th set during the winter months has not been done...

 

Oh they know. It just would take more effort to shoot in snow and they wouldn't want that now would they.

 

Or maybe this will be a found footage winter Friday the 13th to really piss off the fans.

post #66 of 1212
I've seen "Cold Prey." Snowbound horror is overrated.

Unless it's "The Thing."
post #67 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccc View Post
 

 

What?!?!   The whole series if fucking lazy and pointless.  Why not try to do something different with the formula.  It's been beaten to death for 25 years.  With a machete!  

Found footage is hardly "something different." As Part VI taught us, you can have fun with the formula with resorting to a gimmick. Maybe it's just because I don't like the found footage approach but I'd rather see them hand it off to a fun director and a writer who writes a clever script that plays on the conventions. It's actually not that hard. Found footage just seems tired and desperate at this point.

post #68 of 1212
The segment in "VHS" that everyone hates almost as much as the Ti West one is basically a found footage Jason movie.

Even so, the best kill is when the camera's being used to bludgeon someone to death.
post #69 of 1212

I'd love a follow up to Jason X, just to see where the hell you go from there. Jason Takes Rigel 7!

post #70 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J View Post
 

Found footage is hardly "something different." As Part VI taught us, you can have fun with the formula with resorting to a gimmick. Maybe it's just because I don't like the found footage approach but I'd rather see them hand it off to a fun director and a writer who writes a clever script that plays on the conventions. It's actually not that hard. Found footage just seems tired and desperate at this point.

 

Hmmm...I'm feeling ya.    Much like You're Next.  I'd love to see Adam Wingard take over.    

post #71 of 1212

That's why FREDDY VS JASON 2 makes more sense since that universe is definitely has more material compared to the lackluster remakes of the titular characters. 

post #72 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post

I'd love a follow up to Jason X, just to see where the hell you go from there. Jason Takes Rigel 7!

Jason on LV-486?
post #73 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

I've seen "Cold Prey." Snowbound horror is overrated.

Unless it's "The Thing."


Well..so it found footage...if I have to take one stale idea over the other I'm voting for Jason hacking apart snowboarding teens...and drowning co-eds in a hot tub....

BUUUUUUT if Paramount really wants to do something different they can contact me about my Bollywood version of Friday the 13th.
post #74 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post
 

That's why FREDDY VS JASON 2 makes more sense since that universe is definitely has more material compared to the lackluster remakes of the titular characters. 

 

I don't think the FRIDAY reboot exists outside the "continuity" (heheh, FRIDAY THE 13TH continuity) of the others.  If Jason lost the hockey mask somehow after FVJ it fits in just as well as any of the other sequels do.  I was actually pretty happy to see a Q&A with Mark Swift where he basically said the same thing.

 

The trouble with found footage is that FRIDAY THE 13TH has always been a visceral series.  There have been suspenseful sequences, but it's always been about the kill above all else.  Found footage doesn't really compliment that.  (Whereas I think something like a found footage HALLOWEEN movie could work, as the cameras work with the Shape as a voyeur.)

post #75 of 1212
Jason should be the one with the camera.
post #76 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post
 

 

I don't think the FRIDAY reboot exists outside the "continuity" (heheh, FRIDAY THE 13TH continuity) of the others.  If Jason lost the hockey mask somehow after FVJ it fits in just as well as any of the other sequels do.  I was actually pretty happy to see a Q&A with Mark Swift where he basically said the same thing.

 

The trouble with found footage is that FRIDAY THE 13TH has always been a visceral series.  There have been suspenseful sequences, but it's always been about the kill above all else.  Found footage doesn't really compliment that.  (Whereas I think something like a found footage HALLOWEEN movie could work, as the cameras work with the Shape as a voyeur.)

 

But "found footage" is a visceral experience.  If done right it could heighten that experience.  

post #77 of 1212

Found footage relies on character development and a feeling of dread.  These are not things FRIDAY THE 13TH has ever been interested in.

post #78 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post
 

 

I don't think the FRIDAY reboot exists outside the "continuity" (heheh, FRIDAY THE 13TH continuity) of the others.  If Jason lost the hockey mask somehow after FVJ it fits in just as well as any of the other sequels do.

 

Except he ain't a zombie in the reboot and everything post 4 he is.

post #79 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post
 

Found footage relies on character development and a feeling of dread.  These are not things FRIDAY THE 13TH has ever been interested in.

 

But they should be.  Perhaps I'm in the minority of not all that exited to see yet another lazily written hack and slash starring Jason.  I'd like to see some elevation in a reboot or whatever the hell it will be.  

post #80 of 1212
Tommy Jarvis had a character arc. First he was Corey Feldman, then he was a guy who didn't look like Corey Feldman, and then he was another guy who didn't look like Corey Feldman or the other guy who didn't look like Corey Feldman, either.
post #81 of 1212
Thread Starter 
In terms of continuity (yeah, HAH), the reboot makes it a point to show the abbreviated events of the original Friday the 13th truncated together in the year 1980, with Jason drowning and Mrs. Voorhees seeking revenge all in a short period of time (as opposed to decades later).

Aside from that, Jason in the reboot could be the same Jason from FvJ if you surmise he actually heals back to human complexion after a given period of time (seemingly backed up by Jason having normal skin in Jason X).

The only thing is, and I forget what year Jason X takes place in at the beginning, but Jason gets frozen and then ends up in space.

So yeah, reboot.
post #82 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post
 

Found footage relies on character development and a feeling of dread.  These are not things FRIDAY THE 13TH has ever been interested in.

 

Respectfully disagree. The first four films have wonderful moments of "dread" (i.e. atmosphere and suspense).

post #83 of 1212

The 13th should continue Jason's position as horror's Ernest and go for JASON GOES TO PRISON. I'm actually not joking - well I am about that being the title, but concept-wise it would be amazing. Start out like a regular prison movie, warring factions, et cetera, but with a pre-credits scene showing a mysterious giant box being ferried carefully into the bowels of the prison. The prisoners get wind of it - some kind of super-badass killer dude being stored in a top-secret lockdown or some such guff - and the various factions decide to get him onside by breaking him out. Cue carnage, lots of riffs on prison movie archetypes, rampages through conjugal trailers, a sleazy warden getting bisected and on and on the list of fun goes.

 

The trailers alone would be epic. Imagine seeing a prison-movie ad that suddenly turns into a FRIDAY THE 13TH promo.

post #84 of 1212
"Friday The 13th: Part XIII - The Crystal Lake Redemption."
post #85 of 1212

YES.

 

"Can you get me a machete, Red?"

 

"What for?"

 

"...I collect grass."

post #86 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post
 

Found footage relies on character development and a feeling of dread.  These are not things FRIDAY THE 13TH has ever been interested in.

I have never found any characters in any found footage film to be especially compelling.

post #87 of 1212

I just wanted to chime in and say I'm glad this thread exists (not that Friday the 13th fans are in short supply or anything). This series and A Nightmare on Elm Street are the quintessential experiences I yearned for as a kid, so they'll always remain close to my heart. I grew up in a family where I was sheltered from being able to watch horror films, so naturally I gravitated toward them like a madman as I got older. As time goes on the vale gets thinner revealing their poor quality, but I can't help myself as I try to reclaim a fun part of childhood that was stolen from me, knowing I'll never truly get it back.

 

I own the Crystal Lake Memories book but have only read about 20% of it. I recently sold my DVDs to upgrade to the new boxset as well as the recent 7-hour documentary (it's great, but a notch below Never Sleep Again - perhaps because I'm more of a Freddy fan, but the stories seemed better). I've only watched a few of the movies so far but I already have a new appreciation for The New Blood, a film I used to consider one of the weakest only to realize it's undermined by its stupid ending (due to a producers' fit about the make-up). (Also, Lar Park Lincoln currently looks like a cute chubby version of Jenna Jameson before her face went all Picasso.)

 

I enjoyed the reboot for what it was, though it seemed to be lacking a certain... je ne sais quoi. I thought it was smart to combine the first 3 to help get things moving and avoid an unnecessary re-telling of the original which is so entrenched in peoples' heads. I was really hoping to get a better realized version of Jason's #1 opponent in Tommy Jarvis, so I was disappointed to hear for the past few years that they weren't planning on a sequel. The news of found footage... on one hand, it would be an interesting take, but those who are pointing out that it would rob the movie of what its main draw is (the kills) are dead-on about why it ultimately wouldn't work.

 

I say go snow. It would be like Jason runs into the crew from Ski Patrol, resulting in all kinds of hilarity (icicle impalement; sled decaps; Santa impersonator stabbed via reindeer antlers).

post #88 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post
 

 

Except he ain't a zombie in the reboot and everything post 4 he is.

 

Not in JASON X.  And he's black in FREDDY VS. JASON because the blood has pooled in his body, but he clearly still breathes and is "alive".  One of the biggest traits of living Jason is that he runs, and he runs in FVJ.

Not that it matters much, as the series' continuity is so loose anyway.  But the precedent is there for Jason to be human again.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
 

 

Respectfully disagree. The first four films have wonderful moments of "dread" (i.e. atmosphere and suspense).

 

If by "dread" you mean "the camera focuses on a boring character for an agonizingly long time while nothing happens," sure.  I watched FRIDAY 1 for the first time in a few years and it's particularly tough to sit through because of how much Cunningham mishandles the actual stalk-n'-slash stuff.  FRIDAY 3 ain't much better.


Edited by The Dark Shape - 10/4/13 at 10:57pm
post #89 of 1212

Too bad we never got the freddy vs jason vs ash movie so for a reboot a found footage film no thanks and 

 

 

Jason x rocked in my opinion.


Edited by dilla7 - 10/4/13 at 10:59pm
post #90 of 1212

Jason X is so fucking good.

post #91 of 1212

Am I in bizarro world? Jason X good? I hope you're all being ironic!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post
 

 

Not in JASON X.  And he's black in FREDDY VS. JASON because the blood has pooled in his body, but he clearly still breathes and is "alive". 
 

 

Huh? He's clearly undead. He gets resurrected in the opening scene in FVJ.

post #92 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post
 

 

Huh? He's clearly undead. He gets resurrected in the opening scene in FVJ.

 

He's breathing.  He coughs up water.  He has a circulatory system so that you can inject him with shit and knock him out.  He has mongoloid face and not the fucked up zombie face of THE NEW BLOOD and JASON TAKES MANHATTAN.

 

And really?  You're arguing this in a series so ridiculously silly?


Edited by The Dark Shape - 10/5/13 at 9:25am
post #93 of 1212
Who's arguing? Obviously you paid more attention to FVJ than I did (or the other movies with his face). All I know is he was dead in the opening scene and Freddy brought him back. If you say he's alive, so be it.

Edited by User_32 - 10/5/13 at 12:23pm
post #94 of 1212

I say he's a dude who comes back to life in almost every movie.

post #95 of 1212

Right.

 

So I have a confession:

 

I've been a huge fan of the franchise since I was kid but the only theatrical outings I've seen are Freddy vs. Jason and the 2009 remake. 1-Jason Goes To Hell either happened before I was born or at a time when I was too young to see them in their initial outings. Jason X was the first one I was "old" enough to see but it A) Came and went very quickly and B) Didn't come to the town I was living in at the time.

 

Not counting anniversary or revival screenings, who was lucky enough to catch these in the theaters during the series' prime?

post #96 of 1212

He's not a zombie in FvsJ. He's resurrected there and he's resurrected before, at the conclusion of JASON GOES TO HELL. That's at least two live-flesh Jason incarnations that the reboot could have been depicting. I like Dark Shape's take - the reboot isn't a reboot, it's Jason going back to his roots.

post #97 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J View Post
Not counting anniversary or revival screenings, who was lucky enough to catch these in the theaters during the series' prime?

 

 

 

Well, to me, the serie's prime were the first four films. I saw Part 3 and The Final Chapter in their original theatrical runs.

 

Part 3 has, even to this day, some of the best 3-D effects employed in a theatrical film.

 

I will always remember The Final Chapter because the entire theater was so packed, with some people even standing in the back of the auditorium and others sitting in the aisles. It was like a rock concert. Nonstop screams and hysteria for 90 minutes.

post #98 of 1212
God damn, Agent Z, that "Final Chapter" screening sounds glorious.

I saw a 3D screening of the third film in Hollywood back in '06 or '07. It started crazy-late because of projector issues, but once it did start, it was magnificent.
post #99 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
 

 

 

 

Well, to me, the serie's prime were the first four films. I saw Part 3 and The Final Chapter in their original theatrical runs.

 

Part 3 has, even to this day, some of the best 3-D effects employed in a theatrical film.

 

I will always remember The Final Chapter because the entire theater was so packed, with some people even standing in the back of the auditorium and others sitting in the aisles. It was like a rock concert. Nonstop screams and hysteria for 90 minutes.

Man, you nailed my experiences to a fucking-T!   I saw Part 3 in 3D and it was the best 3D at the time.  That movie is why I still love 3D.  Part 4 will always be my favorite because the audience went bananas over it.  I saw that at least 5 times in the theaters. 

 

It was good to be teen during the 80's.  So much horror gold there. 

post #100 of 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
 

 

 

I will always remember The Final Chapter because the entire theater was so packed, with some people even standing in the back of the auditorium and others sitting in the aisles. It was like a rock concert. Nonstop screams and hysteria for 90 minutes.

 

This was my FREDDY VS. JASON experience and it was glorious.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Franchises
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › The Franchises › Friday the 13th Catch-All