CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Movie Miscellany › October Horror Movie Challenge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October Horror Movie Challenge - Page 27

post #1301 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post
 

AMITYVILLE: THE AWAKENING (2017)

 

 

Franck Khalfoun seemed to like shooting one thing with any detail: Bella Thorne.  Or more importantly to him, her ass.

post #1302 of 1520

 

THE CONJURING 2 - I am a big fan of Blumhouse, and this flagship series is the most Blumhouse of them all. I appreciate the restraint this has in comparison to the Insidiae, but I would say their attempts to make it feel prestigious are wasted. It's structurally a Ghost House amusement park ride, and nothing's changing that. Still, the period detail and time given to the minor roles does flesh this out, and the third act is ultimately pretty satisfying. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are excellent in these roles, that totally work in that Dale Cooper realm of embodying goodness in a truly appealing way, and their interactions give the series a low key romance subplot that really works. But at 2h15, it's almost a half hour longer than the original, and more than a bit repetitive, especially in the first half. How long can this old British man stay scary? Not for like an hour and a half.

 

1. The Dead Zone

2. High Plains Drifter

3. Gerald's Game

4. The Mist

5. Re-Animator

6. Pet Semetary

7. The Conjuring 2

8. Nosferatu

9. Graveyard Shift

10. Cujo

11. Cult of Chucky

12. 47 Meters Down

13. Friend Request

14. Mercy

15. Flatliners

16. The Axe Murders of Vilisca

post #1303 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post
 

It's one of the worst retcons ever.  That's why I pretend RESURRECTION doesn't exist.

I will cop to owning Ressurection, just because I bought that nice bluray set that came out a couple of years ago. However, I pretend that one and the Zombie entries aren't there. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post
 

 

 

THE CONJURING 2 - I am a big fan of Blumhouse, and this flagship series is the most Blumhouse of them all. I appreciate the restraint this has in comparison to the Insidiae, but I would say their attempts to make it feel prestigious are wasted. It's structurally a Ghost House amusement park ride, and nothing's changing that. Still, the period detail and time given to the minor roles does flesh this out, and the third act is ultimately pretty satisfying. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are excellent in these roles, that totally work in that Dale Cooper realm of embodying goodness in a truly appealing way, and their interactions give the series a low key romance subplot that really works. But at 2h15, it's almost a half hour longer than the original, and more than a bit repetitive, especially in the first half. How long can this old British man stay scary? Not for like an hour and a half.

 

 

I found the crooked man to be genuinely unsettling and that doesn't happen often for me anymore.

post #1304 of 1520

I love the Crooked Man. Whenever he's around, that shit works. But's it's mostly cranky old Bill Wilkins, who's just an old guy that stands behind you and yells every now and then.

post #1305 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post
 

I love the Crooked Man. Whenever he's around, that shit works. But's it's mostly cranky old Bill Wilkins, who's just an old guy that stands behind you and yells every now and then.


That's going to be me when I kick it. I'm just going to haunt and yell old man things like, you're playing that music too loud, get off my lawn, where's the Metamucil.

post #1306 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by millennium1 View Post
 

Franck Khalfoun seemed to like shooting one thing with any detail: Bella Thorne.  Or more importantly to him, her ass.


Yeah.  She spends fully half the movie wearing... not very much.  And since I'm reasonably certain she was like 16 when the movie was shot, it feels pretty icky.

post #1307 of 1520
I enjoyed "Happy Death Day" in all its PG-13 horror glory. I'm an easy mark when it comes to slasher movies, and although it's pretty bloodless, it has fun with the high concept.

1) Tetsuo: The Iron Man
2) Street Trash
3) Nightmare City
4) Happy Death Day
5) Frankenstein Unbound
6) Cult of Chucky
7) Victor Crowley
8) Parents
post #1308 of 1520

Who was the killer?

post #1309 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post

I love the Crooked Man. Whenever he's around, that shit works. But's it's mostly cranky old Bill Wilkins, who's just an old guy that stands behind you and yells every now and then.

I still think Old Man Bill works personally. Ghosts are usually creepy kids or ladies so a cantankerous old bastard is a nice change of pace. And the vocal effects with his screaming worked like gang busters on me.

Also, Evil Nun was a great design. That scene with the painting? Fuuuuck.
post #1310 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Who was the killer?

The frienships we made along the way.
post #1311 of 1520

*Takes a hit*

 

Fucking deeeeeeeeeeeeep man.

post #1312 of 1520
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

 

11. AND SOON THE DARKNESS (original) -  very European rural paranoia thriller. I paid a good chunk of change for OOP Anchor Bay DVD, but it was worth it.  Excellent mood piece where every character is suspicious and makes you uneasy. Slowly escalates to a breathless nail biter finale.

 

12. AND SOON THE DARKNESS (Remake) (Blu) - enjoyably watchable even if it botches everything that made original a classic.  Argentina locale and Amber Heard scream queen carry the show

 

13. THE BEGUILED (original) (Blu) - a psychosexual Southern Gothic Horror Story. In his prime Clint really played around with his image like few classic  movie stars ever dared. He's a charming rogue, but movie pulls no punches in that he's a lying predator creep. That's why I always say Siegel's politics weren't as reactionary as his reputation. Film is almost a feminist revenge cautionary tale.

 

14. BAD DREAMS  (DVD)-  1988 pseudo-Slasher written by de Souza.  Ebert notoriously hated it, but until twist ending derail, it's pretty effective B, although never the complete freak out it should be. Best use of weirdo Richard Lynch factor since GOD TOLD ME TO.  The second of a brilliant 1-2 punch for Dean Cameron.  Also Sy Richardson! (who cracks me up as the most 'I don't give a fuck'/ 'I've seen it all Cop' ever during goofy last few minutes).

 

15. DRESSED TO KILL - this is the ultimate De Palma Hitchcock riff. I feel like De Palma and Argento were dueling in an unspoken Hitch acolyte rivalry, and this was the masterstroke/ deathblow that Argento could never quite answer.  Ironic since DePalma unabashedly borrows from him here, and Argento's response was to do the same/ bite his style with TENEBRE.

 

All the performances are stellar, but the one to savor is Keith Gordon's. My idealized geek is mixture of his Peter Miller and Christian Slater's Clarence Worley.

 

Can you imagine if original choice Sean Connery had played the Michael Caine part??? Caine rules, but that would've been brilliant!

 

BTW, it always takes me almost 3 hours to watch this because i'm always mesmerized by the almost wordless museum scene, and keep replaying it over and over.

post #1313 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post


I still think Old Man Bill works personally. Ghosts are usually creepy kids or ladies so a cantankerous old bastard is a nice change of pace. And the vocal effects with his screaming worked like gang busters on me.

Also, Evil Nun was a great design. That scene with the painting? Fuuuuck.


He's fine, they just lean into him a little hard for a little long.

 

Evil Nun and Crooked Man are the prestige. I'll go to both their movies next year.

post #1314 of 1520
They're making spin offs for them? Sweet.

I'll check out Annabelle: Creation sometime (and skip Annabelle) but I would prefer if Wan would make a Conjuring 3 after Aquaman. Just so I can have more Warren adventures. They anchor these movies really well. Looking at their wiki page there are a few cases that would work, like the Trial of Arne Cheyenne Johnson or the Smurl haunting.
post #1315 of 1520

Wan is why these films work so well. It's probably just because I just watched that documentary, but the way he builds tension and tells stories with the camera is very young Spielberg. I have minimal interest in a Wan-less Conjuring 3. Which is not to say I won't see it, but he's the reason these are what they are.

post #1316 of 1520
Going back to Dead Alive for a minute, I was extremely impressed with the practical and puppet work in that. Like, I actually think it's up there with The Thing in terms of sheer inventiveness and believability. Like one scene where a guy's whole face and hair gets ripped off looked so real or another where someone's lower body gets eaten down to the bone and you see the legs still kicking. So good.

Also, there's a living intestinal tract with an anus for a mouth. And a priest kung fu's zombies while screaming "I KICK ARSE FOR THE LORD". Thet was the moment I fell in love with that movie.

Loved that they stole the Demon Rat Monkey off of Skull Island as well. Complete with Natives. Jackson's Kong love was evident even then.
post #1317 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post

And for my bit of Steve Minor.


Halloween H20 (streaming on Hulu)

Not my favorite Steve Minor film by a long shot. That would be Friday the 13th part 2 (coming tomorrow). This was the first time I have watched this since it came out. Not a big fan. Usually movies I don’t like seem to drag, but this felt an hour long. Too many wink callbacks to the first 2 for my taste. The mask isn’t right. And I swear they use several different masks with slightly different facial expressions, which just seems silly. However, I did like the ending. I like that Strode knows Michael isn’t dead and is going to finish him off. It’s a good ending. I just wasn’t a huge fan of everything that came before.

Tomorrow, hopefully 4-5 Friday the 13th movies!!!

EDIT: It also occurred to me watching this movie. So H20 is 20 years later. Next year will be 20 years since H20. What the fuck?!?

We were talking about the mask debacle in the McBride/Green Halloween 11 thread a few days ago.

They shot the Myers scenes with the first mask and found it to be too “alien” then got a new one and went back.

The scene with the kid in the kitchen is literally a cgi mask, apparently that part couldn’t be reshot with the new one?

(Also, I’ve always wondered, why does the kid turn ON the disposal first?)

[/IMG]

post #1318 of 1520

CHILDREN OF THE CORN 

 

The remake.  Ugh.  Its really terrible.  The first movie of the season I've actively hated.  

 

 

 

 

2017 RANKINGS (in order of enjoyment):

 

1. IT (2017)

2. GERALD'S GAME (2017)

3. SALEM'S LOT (1979)

4. DREAMCATCHER (2003)

5. 1408 (2007)

6. THE STAND (1994)

7. PET SEMATARY (1989)

8. THINNER (1996)

9. DESPERATION (2006)

10. PET SEMATARY TWO (1992)

11. IT (1990)

12. GRAVEYARD SHIFT (1990)

13. CHILDREN OF THE CORN (2009)

post #1319 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call Me Roy View Post

We were talking about the mask debacle in the McBride/Green Halloween 11 thread a few days ago.

They shot the Myers scenes with the first mask and found it to be too “alien” then got a new one and went back.

The scene with the kid in the kitchen is literally a cgi mask, apparently that part couldn’t be reshot with the new one?

(Also, I’ve always wondered, why does the kid turn ON the disposal first?)

[/IMG]


Wow that mask in the bottom image is fuck awful.
post #1320 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

 

BTW, it always takes me almost 3 hours to watch this because i'm always mesmerized by the almost wordless museum scene, and keep replaying it over and over.

That sequence is perfect. FREAKIN' PERFECT.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post
 

Wan is why these films work so well. It's probably just because I just watched that documentary, but the way he builds tension and tells stories with the camera is very young Spielberg. I have minimal interest in a Wan-less Conjuring 3. Which is not to say I won't see it, but he's the reason these are what they are.

I remember being skeptical about The Conjuring, but Wan's skill behind the camera is damn impressive. There's a 70s-esque slow zoom shot early on that's so fantastic, one of those "don't worry, the filmmaker knows what he's doing" moments.

post #1321 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

Wow that mask in the bottom image is fuck awful.

I agree. The one they used could have been better if they had shot it in lower lighting without showing his eyes. The way it looks gives him this mopey look.
post #1322 of 1520


FRIDAY THE 13TH (1980)

 

And the first one is down. The Kevin Bacon kill is the best kill in this one. I still don't know how Ms. Vorhees gets that guy up on the door but I find it's best not to ask questions. On the bluray you can see the toothpicks in her neck that they used to keep the dummy head on at the end of the movie. I like this one but I like part 2 more. Bigger cast, better kills. Which speaking of, on to part 2.

 

IN ORDER

 

1. Night of the Demons (1988)
2. The Blob (1988)
3. Re-Animator (1985)
4. Cult of Chucky (2017)
5. IT (1990)
6. Legend of Hell House (1973)
7. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 (1985)
8. Texas Chainsaw (2013)
9. My Bloody Valentine (2009)
10. The Possession (2012)
11. The Burning (1981)
12. Sleepaway Camp II (1988)
13. Sleepaway Camp III (1989)

14. Friday the 13th (Original) (1980)

post #1323 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call Me Roy View Post

I agree. The one they used could have been better if they had shot it in lower lighting without showing his eyes. The way it looks gives him this mopey look.

Much of it is the scrunched up nose.
post #1324 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post

Going back to Dead Alive for a minute, I was extremely impressed with the practical and puppet work in that. Like, I actually think it's up there with The Thing in terms of sheer inventiveness and believability. Like one scene where a guy's whole face and hair gets ripped off looked so real or another where someone's lower body gets eaten down to the bone and you see the legs still kicking. So good.

 

The one effect that looks cheapish is the zombie baby that clearly becomes some dude in a costume whenever it runs around. But for some reason that just made me laugh even more.

post #1325 of 1520

I will never understand the love that the Conjuring films get. They're so po-faced and humorless. Loud, stinging string scares galore. Ugh.

post #1326 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post
 

I will never understand the love that the Conjuring films get. They're so po-faced and humorless. Loud, stinging string scares galore. Ugh.

I've seen so many shitty horror movies that I'll always overrate ones that show a modicum of skill.

post #1327 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post
 

I've seen so many shitty horror movies that I'll always overrate ones that show a modicum of skill.

 

Actually, that's a great way of putting it.

 

Carry on, please.

post #1328 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post
 

 

The one effect that looks cheapish is the zombie baby that clearly becomes some dude in a costume whenever it runs around. But for some reason that just made me laugh even more.

 

Yeah, Zombie Baby is so much hilarious cheese that you cannot help but roll with it. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post
 

I will never understand the love that the Conjuring films get. They're so po-faced and humorless. Loud, stinging string scares galore. Ugh.

 

They're just extremely well crafted and properly terrifying ghost stories. And as said, the central relationship between the Warrens, who are wholesome and enjoyable protagonists with a sweet loving bond does a lot to get me to root for them. 

post #1329 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Who was the killer?

Technically, the cupcake.
post #1330 of 1520

Day 8: Decided to go with the original as well

 

 

I always liked how subversive it feels that the on first sight decent Mrs. Voorhees turns out to be that crazy. Forgot how long this takes to take off though. Agreed on the Bacon Kill being the best although I'm also partial to the axe to the face. Not the best one but a lot of fun.

 

My list (in order of enjoyment):

 

1) Dead Alive

2) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

3) The Conjuring 2

4) The Conjuring 

5) Friday The 13th

6) It Follows

7) Alien 3

8) Hostel Part III

post #1331 of 1520
6.The Blair Witch... wow. What a garbage can of a movie. Super boring. Characters I didn’t give a shit about. So was it Heather or not?? UFOs?? Dumb.

7.8.9. Today is F13 2-4.. part 2 only gets better. Part 3 suffers from 3 female leads that could be triplets (the casting in this...) a terrible setting (the “lake”).. Jason looks and acts great though. Could have used a better final girl. Give me Ginny in 2’s setting, with part 4’s Jason.. perfection.

4 comes up next and it is the pinnacle of the series. No doubt.

Enjoyment
1.F13 4
2.F13 2
3.H20
4.F 13 3
5.Geralds Game
6.Pet Sematary
7.Cult of Chucky
8.Prom Night
9.Blair Witch
post #1332 of 1520


FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 (1981)

 

I saw a list of Friday films ranked worst to first with Part 6, Part 4, and Part 2 being the top three. I'm inclined to agree, although I do have a soft spot for Part 7 as well. Amy Steel is the best final girl of the franchise though. There's a lot to like about this movie. Jason doesn't have the iconic mask yet, is running around with a pillowcase with one eye hole on his head and then he looks like a deformed hillbilly. This installment also has one of the best kills in the series when Mark takes the machete to the face and goes down the stairs backwards in his wheelchair. Two things though. One, every time they do that lingering shot on mama Vorhees at the end I'm always waiting for the eyes to open or the head to move even though I've seen this a million times. Two, what happened to Paul?

 

BEST KILLS

Part 1: Toss up, Jack's arrow to the throat / Marcie's ax to the face

Part 2: Mark's machete to the face and ride down the stairs

 

IN ORDER

 

1. Night of the Demons (1988)
2. The Blob (1988)
3. Re-Animator (1985)
4. Cult of Chucky (2017)
5. IT (1990)
6. Legend of Hell House (1973)
7. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 (1985)
8. Texas Chainsaw (2013)
9. My Bloody Valentine (2009)
10. The Possession (2012)
11. The Burning (1981)
12. Sleepaway Camp II (1988)
13. Sleepaway Camp III (1989)

14. Friday the 13th (1980)

15. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

post #1333 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMonkeyDeluxeS View Post




FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 (1981)

I saw a list of Friday films ranked worst to first with Part 6, Part 4, and Part 2 being the top three. I'm inclined to agree, although I do have a soft spot for Part 7 as well. Amy Steel is the best final girl of the franchise though. There's a lot to like about this movie. Jason doesn't have the iconic mask yet, is running around with a pillowcase with one eye hole on his head and then he looks like a deformed hillbilly. This installment also has one of the best kills in the series when Mark takes the machete to the face and goes down the stairs backwards in his wheelchair. Two things though. One, every time they do that lingering shot on mama Vorhees at the end I'm always waiting for the eyes to open or the head to move even though I've seen this a million times. Two, what happened to Paul?

BEST KILLS
Part 1: Toss up, Jack's arrow to the throat / Marcie's ax to the face
Part 2: Mark's machete to the face and ride down the stairs

IN ORDER

1. Night of the Demons (1988)

2. The Blob (1988)

3. Re-Animator (1985)

4. Cult of Chucky (2017)

5. IT (1990)

6. Legend of Hell House (1973)

7. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 (1985)

8. Texas Chainsaw (2013)

9. My Bloody Valentine (2009)

10. The Possession (2012)

11. The Burning (1981)

12. Sleepaway Camp II (1988)

13. Sleepaway Camp III (1989)

14. Friday the 13th (1980)
15. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

She was supposed to open her eyes. Then they decided against it during editing but kept the shot intact, just cutting it short.

The disappearance of Paul is strange. But people seem to think the last few minutes was a dream, what with the dog being alive after clearly being seen dead in the woods.
post #1334 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call Me Roy View Post


She was supposed to open her eyes. Then they decided against it during editing but kept the shot intact, just cutting it short.

The disappearance of Paul is strange. But people seem to think the last few minutes was a dream, what with the dog being alive after clearly being seen dead in the woods.


That makes sense then because the shot gives me that impression every single time. 

post #1335 of 1520
Yeah, I still expect it too haha.
post #1336 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

I will never understand the love that the Conjuring films get. They're so po-faced and humorless. Loud, stinging string scares galore. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post

I've seen so many shitty horror movies that I'll always overrate ones that show a modicum of skill.

I finally watched the first one sometime over the summer and didn't really get why it spawned such a phenomenon either. It is skillfully made and I really like the cast-- and maybe that is what makes it for people-- but it otherwise seemed not too far off all the other "The Last Haunted Exorcism of Emily Rose in Connecticut" type flicks we've gotten this century, and felt a bit like old hat. I plan on watching "The Conjuring 2" soon and see if I feel any differently. I understand that one is supposed to be better?

So, another movie I heard a lot about over the years and finally watched last night:



Pretty damn creepy to be honest. I think what really gives it a push is this kinda unnaturalistic manner everyone has, which I wouldn't chalk up to simply subpar acting. It seems like a choice that these people all seem on the verge of hysterics in even normal circumstances. It really gives you a sense of unease whenn you're not seeing some unpleasant kills. It works particularly well against the familiar sense of place, for this old Catholic boy anyway-- the church/rectory environs, with its yellowing imagery-- I could just about smell the mold and wood polish.



1. Bride of Frankenstein
2. Dracula ('31)
3. Gerald's Game
4. Inferno
5. Pet Sematary
6. Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan ('58)
7. Alice Sweet Alice
8. House of Dracula
9. The Cat o' Nine Tails
10. What Have You Done to Solange?
11. Lights Out
12. Whistle and I'll Come to You ('10)
13. Curse of the Crimson Altar
14. Dracula's Daughter
15. Slumber Party Massacre
post #1337 of 1520

 


FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3 (1982)

 

Jason theme goes disco. This is a weird movie in the scope of the rest of the series. It supposedly takes place a day after part 2 but he lost all his hillbilly hair. They also imply in Chris' flashback that Jason either had sexy times with her or tried to. Can't completely discard the movie though because this is where he gets the mask. The best kill of this movie for me is a toss-up between the harpoon to Vera's eye or Andy getting sliced in half with the machete. A couple of fun facts. Supposedly for this movie originally Jason was going to track Ginny from part 2 to a mental hospital but Amy Steel declined to reprise her role. Originally this was going to be the last of a trilogy and apparently, this was the first movie to knock E.T. out of the number one slot back in 82.

 

BEST KILLS

 

Part 1: Arrow to Jack's throat / Marcie ax to the face

Part 2: Mark's machete to the face and ride down the stairs

Part 3: Arrow to Vera's eye / Andy sliced in half

 

IN ORDER

 

1. Night of the Demons (1988)
2. The Blob (1988)
3. Re-Animator (1985)
4. Cult of Chucky (2017)
5. IT (1990)
6. Legend of Hell House (1973)
7. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 (1985)
8. Texas Chainsaw (2013)
9. My Bloody Valentine (2009)
10. The Possession (2012)
11. The Burning (1981)
12. Sleepaway Camp II (1988)
13. Sleepaway Camp III (1989)

14. Friday the 13th (1980)

15. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

16. Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982)

post #1338 of 1520
Also he kills a pregnant woman and a bearded hippie that today would have been played by Marc Maron!
post #1339 of 1520

Usually the first FRIDAY is my go-to for a Friday the 13th (because it’s my favorite of the series), but I’m giving it a rest for a while.  As such…

 

FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 (1981)

Still has that same special northeast campground atmosphere as the first (before the productions moved to the west coast and the south).  The formula is starting to form with this one, as Jason finally takes center stage; what’s nice about that, though, is that PART 2 never ignores or tries to retcon the first film, but rather treats Jason’s actions here as a kind of extended revenge for what happened to his mother in the previous movie.  The series is still working out who/what Jason really is, and here we get the backwoods version before his more classic appearance takes shape in the next movie.  Steve Miner stages some solid kills, as well as some surprisingly decent moments of tension, and Amy Steel is one of the best Final Girls of the 1980s (the movie has one of the better groups of kids in general).  We also get another good score from Harry Manfredini before he went synth-crazy in the ‘90s.  And bonus points for bringing back Crazy Ralph.

 

Availability: Various home video formats, iTunes, Google Play, Amazon Video

 

Ranking - In Order of Enjoyment

    1.    DRACULA (1931)
    2.    THE WOLF MAN (1941)
    3.    BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935)
    4.    A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (1984)
    5.    THE NIGHT STALKER (1972)
    6.    BEETLEJUICE (1988)
    7.    THE FOG (1980)
    8.    GERALD’S GAME (2017)
    9.    CREEP (2014)
    10.  HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH (1982)
    11.  FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 (1981)
    12.  WE GO ON (2016)
    13.  THE LIMEHOUSE GOLEM (2017)
    14.  MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM (1933)
    15.  DRACULA’S DAUGHTER (1936)
    16.  TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE (1983)
    17.  HELLO MARY LOU: PROM NIGHT II (1987)
    18.  DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE (1968)
    19.  SLEEPAWAY CAMP (1983)
    20.  BLAIR WITCH (2016)
    21.  THE BEAST WITHIN (1982)
    22.  FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE (1974)
    23.  THE LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1960)
    24.  PROJECT: METALBEAST (1995)
    25.  AMITYVILLE: THE AWAKENING (2017)
    26.  NIGHT OF THE DEMON (1980)
    27.  LEATHERFACE (2017)

 

Supplemental Viewing (So to Speak!)
    •    IT’S ALIVE: THE TRUE STORY OF FRANKENSTEIN (1994)


Edited by Belloq87 - 10/13/17 at 1:06pm
post #1340 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

I enjoyed "Happy Death Day" in all its PG-13 horror glory. I'm an easy mark when it comes to slasher movies, and although it's pretty bloodless, it has fun with the high concept.

1) Tetsuo: The Iron Man
2) Street Trash
3) Nightmare City
4) Happy Death Day
5) Frankenstein Unbound
6) Cult of Chucky
7) Victor Crowley
8) Parents


I'm glad you liked Happy Death Day. I 'm going to see it tonight. Its been getting good, but not great reviews. AV Club gave it a C + but I take them with a grain of salt since they fucked up the design of the site.

post #1341 of 1520
Just don't think too hard about the killer's plan because holy shit it makes no sense.
post #1342 of 1520


FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE FINAL CHAPTER (1984)

 

Had to pick the oldest up from school and then run a couple of errands so the last half an hour got put off for awhile. Can we talk about how awesomely bad Crispin Glover's dancing is? It gets him a girl though so I guess he couldn't complain. This is the Friday the 13th I always think of when I think of the series. This one and Jason Lives. We get Tommy Jarvis' arrival on the scene in this one and the awesome effect of Jason taking the knife to the eye and sliding down it. This one also has two contenders for best kill. Paul taking the harpoon the groin and Jimmy taking the corkscrew to the hand and then the meat cleaver to the face.

 

BEST KILLS

 

Part 1: Arrow to Jack's throat / Marcie ax to the face

Part 2: Mark's machete to the face and ride down the stairs

Part 3: Arrow to Vera's eye / Andy sliced in half

Part 4: Paul taking the harpoon the groin and Jimmy taking the corkscrew to the hand and then the meat cleaver to the face.

 

IN ORDER

 

1. Night of the Demons (1988)
2. The Blob (1988)
3. Re-Animator (1985)
4. Cult of Chucky (2017)
5. IT (1990)
6. Legend of Hell House (1973)
7. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 (1985)
8. Texas Chainsaw (2013)
9. My Bloody Valentine (2009)
10. The Possession (2012)
11. The Burning (1981)
12. Sleepaway Camp II (1988)
13. Sleepaway Camp III (1989)

14. Friday the 13th (1980)

15. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

16. Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982)

17. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

post #1343 of 1520
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

 

11. AND SOON THE DARKNESS (original) -  very European rural paranoia thriller. I paid a good chunk of change for OOP Anchor Bay DVD, but it was worth it.  Excellent mood piece where every character is suspicious and makes you uneasy. Slowly escalates to a breathless nail biter finale.

 

12. AND SOON THE DARKNESS (Remake) (Blu) - enjoyably watchable even if it botches everything that made original a classic.  Argentina locale and Amber Heard scream queen carry the show

 

13. THE BEGUILED (original) (Blu) - a psychosexual Southern Gothic Horror Story. In his prime Clint really played around with his image like few classic  movie stars ever dared. He's a charming rogue, but movie pulls no punches in that he's a lying predator creep. That's why I always say Siegel's politics weren't as reactionary as his reputation. Film is almost a feminist revenge cautionary tale.

 

14. BAD DREAMS  (DVD)-  1988 pseudo-Slasher written by de Souza.  Ebert notoriously hated it, but until twist ending derail, it's pretty effective B, although never the complete freak out it should be. Best use of weirdo Richard Lynch factor since GOD TOLD ME TO.  The second of a brilliant 1-2 punch for Dean Cameron.  Also Sy Richardson! (who cracks me up as the most 'I don't give a fuck'/ 'I've seen it all Cop' ever during goofy last few minutes).

 

15. DRESSED TO KILL (DVD) - this is the ultimate De Palma Hitchcock riff. I feel like De Palma and Argento were dueling in an unspoken Hitch acolyte rivalry, and this was the masterstroke/ deathblow that Argento could never quite answer.  Ironic since DePalma unabashedly borrows from him here, and Argento's response was to do the same/ bite his style with TENEBRE.

 

All the performances are stellar, but the one to savor is Keith Gordon's. My idealized geek is mixture of his Peter Miller and Christian Slater's Clarence Worley.

 

Can you imagine if original choice Sean Connery had played the Michael Caine part??? Caine rules, but that would've been brilliant!

 

BTW, it always takes me almost 3 hours to watch this because i'm always mesmerized by the almost wordless museum scene, and keep replaying it over and over.

 

16. THE OMEN (original) (DVD) - like ROSEMARY'S , lurid pulp elevated by exceptional craft. Masterful as mood piece. Peck is spectacular.

post #1344 of 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

 

Peck is spectacular.

He's one of the biggest reasons THE OMEN is so effective.  He treats the material seriously, so we take it seriously.  There are few - if any - other actors of his stature that could have filled that role as well as he did.

post #1345 of 1520


FRIDAY THE 13TH: JASON LIVES (1986)

 

My favorite Friday. My mom recorded this off of showtime for me when I was 8 years old and I wore the tape out. I love everything about this movie. Adult Tommy comes back, high body count, this time we actually get some campers instead of just counselors. A lot of good kills in this one. The guy that gets stabbed with the spear and Jason just throws him up over his head, court getting stabbed in the side of his head with a knife and the RV rolling over. The two best though are the girl that gets her head pushed into the wall so hard it make an indent of her face in the side of the RV and the Sheriff getting bent straight backwards.

 

BEST KILLS

 

Part 1: Arrow to Jack's throat / Marcie ax to the face

Part 2: Mark's machete to the face and ride down the stairs

Part 3: Arrow to Vera's eye / Andy sliced in half

Part 4: Paul taking the harpoon the groin and Jimmy taking the corkscrew to the hand and then the meat cleaver to the face.

Part 6: RV face plant / Sheriff bending

 

IN ORDER

 

1. Night of the Demons (1988)
2. The Blob (1988)
3. Re-Animator (1985)
4. Cult of Chucky (2017)
5. IT (1990)
6. Legend of Hell House (1973)
7. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 (1985)
8. Texas Chainsaw (2013)
9. My Bloody Valentine (2009)
10. The Possession (2012)
11. The Burning (1981)
12. Sleepaway Camp II (1988)
13. Sleepaway Camp III (1989)

14. Friday the 13th (1980)

15. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

16. Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982)

17. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

18. Friday the 13th: Jason Lives (1986)

post #1346 of 1520

No 13: Friday The 13TH (1980)

Seems only fair, considering the date.  Might become a marathon tonight.

post #1347 of 1520


FRIDAY THE 13TH: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN (1989)

 

Finished up my Friday viewings with this craziness. My wife watched this with me tonight and she had never seen it before. Man did she have questions. How do they have that big boat on the lake? How did they get it out of the lake to go to New York? How did Jason get to New York? Why do they flood the sewer with toxic waste? How does toxic waste turn Jason back into a kid? I very calmly looked at her and responded, because movie. It's also really weird how fixated he is on the final guy and girl. You would think in a city like that, with that many people he'd go murder happy. He kills the two junky robbers, but he doesn't kill the gang of kids whose boombox he kicks, instead opting to show them what was under his mask. Wtf? We all know what the best kill of this movie is.  When Jason puts down the Shoryuken and Julius' head ends up in a dumpster.

 

BEST KILLS

 

Part 1: Arrow to Jack's throat / Marcie ax to the face

Part 2: Mark's machete to the face and ride down the stairs

Part 3: Arrow to Vera's eye / Andy sliced in half

Part 4: Paul taking the harpoon the groin and Jimmy taking the corkscrew to the hand and then the meat cleaver to the face.

Part 6: RV face plant / Sheriff bending

Part 8: Julius gets his head punched off

 

IN ORDER

 

1. Night of the Demons (1988)
2. The Blob (1988)
3. Re-Animator (1985)
4. Cult of Chucky (2017)
5. IT (1990)
6. Legend of Hell House (1973)
7. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 (1985)
8. Texas Chainsaw (2013)
9. My Bloody Valentine (2009)
10. The Possession (2012)
11. The Burning (1981)
12. Sleepaway Camp II (1988)
13. Sleepaway Camp III (1989)

14. Friday the 13th (1980)

15. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

16. Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982)

17. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

18. Friday the 13th: Jason Lives (1986)

19. Friday the 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan (Vancouver) (1989)

post #1348 of 1520
Anybody watching the Friday the 13th movies today?
post #1349 of 1520

I just can't.  Many of them are so bad.  Most.  

post #1350 of 1520
How dare you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Movie Miscellany
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Movie Miscellany › October Horror Movie Challenge