CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Movie Miscellany › October Horror Movie Challenge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October Horror Movie Challenge - Page 37

post #1801 of 1824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

 I didn't watch "The Thing" for the zillionth time like you non-risk takers!
 

Hey, sometimes if you want to compromise with the wife in order to watch horror movies all month long you have to compromise.  I would have liked to watched more new movies, but I still manages 11 new ones out of my 33.  I'm cool with that.

post #1802 of 1824
The two movies that I watched with a femme were incidentally the ones we both hated. She'll never trust me again!
post #1803 of 1824

Huh, 21 out of my 51 were new. Not bad! I would have thought I only watched a bunch of shit I've seen before.

post #1804 of 1824

I didn't make 50, but oh well.

 

Call me a cliché, but I rounded out the night with the usual suspects:

 

45./46. HALLOWEEN + HALLOWEEN II

 

Image result for halloween 2 1981 gif

post #1805 of 1824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

The two movies that I watched with a femme were incidentally the ones we both hated. She'll never trust me again!


I don't know how many times I have to tell you my mom doesn't like The Happening or Nic Cage's The Wicker Man.

post #1806 of 1824
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy dunlop View Post
 

Also need to mention that this thread rocks.  The general CHUD horror thread keeps the convo going year-round, but I always look forward to this legit deep dive into the genre with you fine folks every October.  The quality of discussion and the sheer volume of recommendations and discoveries... its good stuff.      

Absolutely, I've seen so many gems thanks to this thread.

 

I think all but 4 of my 35 were new. But c'mon, it's the fuckin' Thing.

post #1807 of 1824

I usually save The Thing for St. Patrick's Day.

post #1808 of 1824
You have to watch "The Thing" during the first damn week of winter.
post #1809 of 1824

Yeah, Brad gets it. The Thing is a Christmas movie.

post #1810 of 1824
Winter on the Southern Hemisphere is in like June. No one tell wd40!
post #1811 of 1824

1. There is no such thing as Winter in Texas.

2. St. Patrick's Day is Russell's birthday, where the wife and I take the day off and have Russellmania, watching Kurt Russell movies all day.

post #1812 of 1824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Winter on the Southern Hemisphere is in like June. No one tell wd40!


I adjust for my hemisphere.

post #1813 of 1824
No one was supposed to tell him!
post #1814 of 1824
Quote:



A Tale of Two Sisters (Shudder)

Finally got around to watching this today after many years of meaning to get to it. Really, really good. Kept me disoriented throughout. I only wish I hadn't already seen that shit American remake a while back.


 

 

A Tale of Two Sisters is my champion horror movie. My all time favorite. Its beautifully filmed and the story, acting and FX  is all great and contains not just one, but two twists. I haven't even bothered watching the shitty American version - I knew they'd fuck it up. 

post #1815 of 1824
Quote:
Originally Posted by smugbug View Post
 

 

A Tale of Two Sisters is my champion horror movie. My all time favorite. Its beautifully filmed and the story, acting and FX  is all great and contains not just one, but two twists. I haven't even bothered watching the shitty American version - I knew they'd fuck it up. 

Holy crap did they bungle it.  I didn't know at the time that it was a remake.  If I had known I wouldn't have watched it before witching this one.  Watching The Uninvited, 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
it was bungled so badly, I think inside 5 minutes I was like "That one is dead."  It was just way obvious. 
post #1816 of 1824

October 31st, finished up on that Mist series now on Netflix. And put these two fabulous films on:

 

 

 

 

 

Dracula (1979) - This is one of my favorite Dracula films. Top three. Why is because of the art direction. So deliciously gothic. And I think the years have aged this movie like a fine wine. This is, of course, Hollywood sexing up Dracula. Turning him into the man meat of blood suckers.  LOOK at when Frank Langella had hair. And how he fills up a frilly white shirt. So fine. I also love the soundtrack. 

 

And that scene of Van Helsing and Mina in the mine tunnel?  STILL nightmare fuel. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ALIEN - this ended October 31st for me. And was the best way to punctuate October. Best haunted house movie. I can wax poetic on this movie and have, but I won't here. Still so damn good.

 

 

 

 

 

2017 In Order of Enjoyment (IOE):

 

 

 

 ALIEN

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Demon Knight

Fright Night

Let The Right One In

The Devil's Backbone

Dracula (1979)

VAMP

April Fools Day

Sleepy Hollow

Krampus

My Bloody Valentine (2009)

The Craft

The Babysitter (2017)

Black Christmas

Ghoulies

Pumpkinhead

Carrie

Hellraiser

The Ruins

From Dusk til Dawn

Scream

Odd Thomas

Deep Blue Sea

Cult of Chucky

Ghoulies 2

Waxwork

Gerald's Game

New Nightmare

Scream

Scream 2

Scream 3 

Scream 4

Curse of Chucky

Alien Covenant

What Lies Beneath

Victor Frankenstein (2015)

Ghost Story (1982)

Midnight Meat Train

Lake Mungo

post #1817 of 1824
Quote:
Originally Posted by smugbug View Post
 

October 31st, finished up on that Mist series now on Netflix. And put these two fabulous films on:

 

 

 

 

 

Dracula (1979) - This is one of my favorite Dracula films. Top three. Why is because of the art direction. So deliciously gothic. And I think the years have aged this movie like a fine wine. This is, of course, Hollywood sexing up Dracula. Turning him into the man meat of blood suckers.  LOOK at when Frank Langella had hair. And how he fills up a frilly white shirt. So fine. I also love the soundtrack. 

 

And that scene of Van Helsing and Mina in the mine tunnel?  STILL nightmare fuel.

Big fan of this version.  It's crazy to think that director John Badham went from SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER into this.  Great looking production, with an insanely underrated John Williams score.  It futzes around with the source material a TON, but that's part of the fun.

post #1818 of 1824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post
 

Big fan of this version.  It's crazy to think that director John Badham went from SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER into this.  Great looking production, with an insanely underrated John Williams score.  It futzes around with the source material a TON, but that's part of the fun.


RIGHT?! 

 

I think right after SNF was the right time time for Badham to do this. So glad he did.  If you ever have a chance, you can still find remnants of the Broadway production on the 'net. It also starred Frank Langella with sets designed by Edward Gorey. 

 

Yeah on that John Williams score. Damn. So fucking good.

post #1819 of 1824
Quote:
Originally Posted by smugbug View Post
 

If you ever have a chance, you can still find remnants of the Broadway production on the 'net. It also starred Frank Langella with sets designed by Edward Gorey. 

I think I've seen a few photos over the years, and I've read the script (which is more or less the same script that Bela Lugosi performed in his original Broadway run prior to the 1931 film), but I should really do some more digging and see what I can find.

 

My mother saw the Langella version on stage, and she still brings it up from time to time.

post #1820 of 1824
Quote:
Originally Posted by smugbug View Post
 

October 31st, finished up on that Mist series now on Netflix. And put these two fabulous films on:

 

I just finished that up too.

 

It did get better when everything started really going to shit and everyone started going all Lord of the Flies and nutty AF.

post #1821 of 1824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrichead View Post
 

I just finished that up too.

 

It did get better when everything started really going to shit and everyone started going all Lord of the Flies and nutty AF.


Yeah!  I wonder if this is going to get a S2 and if so, where they're going to take it. 

post #1822 of 1824
Quote:
Originally Posted by smugbug View Post
 


Yeah!  I wonder if this is going to get a S2 and if so, where they're going to take it. 


Not likely. It was canceled by Spike. Maybe Netflix will scoop it up if enough people watch it?

post #1823 of 1824
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
 


Not likely. It was canceled by Spike. Maybe Netflix will scoop it up if enough people watch it?


Ah. I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I'm okay with not going further. On the other, just enough curiosity to want to know where it goes. 

post #1824 of 1824
Quote:
Originally Posted by smugbug View Post
 


Ah. I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I'm okay with not going further. On the other, just enough curiosity to want to know where it goes. 

Same here. They set up some conspiracy stuff, but not really saying where the mist came from.

 

If that small sample in the mall was characteristic of the country as a whole, then pretty much total chaos and people killing each other.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Movie Miscellany
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Movie Miscellany › October Horror Movie Challenge