CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › 2016: God is Dead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016: God is Dead - Page 213

post #10601 of 22490
That old fuck could at least learn how to pronounce "patriot."
post #10602 of 22490

Trump saying he'd be fine with American citizens accused of terrorism being tried at Guantanamo:

 

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/election/donald-trump/article95144337.html

post #10603 of 22490

Hugh Hewitt literally called Hillary Clinton "the worst Secretary of State in U.S. history" just moments ago on Lawrence O'Donnell.

 

Worse than, say...oh, I dunno...Colin Powell and Condolezza Rice, Hugh? The ones who were on duty when 9/11 went down, and who deliberately helped to lie us into an illegal war?

post #10604 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Is Hillary even campaigning? The news is just what Trump said, what people say he said, and what people say about what he said/meant to say.

Somebody on Clinton's campaign team is smart enough to know that their opponent is the hen that laid the golden eggs. Instead of having Clinton embarrass herself by trying too hard to defend the years Goldmann Sachs spent earning her gratitude, instead of having Kaine embarrass himself trying to defend his insane belief that financial institutions suffer from too much regulation, they're benching these two and letting Trump hog the spotlight and run his mouth. That's absolutely what Clinton's people should be doing, from a strategic standpoint.
Edited by Reasor - 8/11/16 at 7:54pm
post #10605 of 22490
So supposedly there is some kind of emergency meeting between the RNC and Trump campaign tomorrow.
post #10606 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul755 View Post

So supposedly there is some kind of emergency meeting between the RNC and Trump campaign tomorrow.
I'd like to think that means shit is about to go down, but at this point there's already a pile of previous emergency meetings with the Trump campaign sitting on Priebus's lawn, and look where it's gotten them.
post #10607 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post


I'd like to think that means shit is about to go down, but at this point there's already a pile of previous emergency meetings with the Trump campaign sitting on Priebus's lawn, and look where it's gotten them.


Yeah, they'll have their meeting.  Trump will make another speech with a teleprompter and lay off Twitter for a day or two.  And then on day three he'll go back to crazytown like clockwork.

post #10608 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmacq1 View Post


Yeah, they'll have their meeting.  Trump will make another speech with a teleprompter and lay off Twitter for a day or two.  And then on day three he'll go back to crazytown like clockwork.
Until he can steal his phone back from Manafort or get Ivanka to buy him a new one.
post #10609 of 22490
.
Edited by Agentsands77 - 11/9/16 at 6:23am
post #10610 of 22490

I'm thinking this is Trump at home and Reince keeps calling....

 

post #10611 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

I'd like to think that means shit is about to go down, but at this point there's already a pile of previous emergency meetings with the Trump campaign sitting on Priebus's lawn, and look where it's gotten them.

I think without the distraction from Trump, that would give them a couple months to focus on Hillary, and my cynicism tells me that's more than enough to win, regardless of who they replace him with.

post #10612 of 22490

Yup -- MSNBC just confirmed that the "emergency meeting" will be happening tomorrow.

post #10613 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post

I think without the distraction from Trump, that would give them a couple months to focus on Hillary, and my cynicism tells me that's more than enough to win, regardless of who they replace him with.
Problem for the GOP in trying to or succeeding in replacing Trump is they will split the ticket and give it to Hillary. Plenty of his supporters will sit out or vote for him over the "official" candidate.
post #10614 of 22490

Also, it's looking like Trump won't even be at the meeting tomorrow, LOL.

post #10615 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul755 View Post


Problem for the GOP in trying to or succeeding in replacing Trump is they will split the ticket and give it to Hillary. Plenty of his supporters will sit out or vote for him over the "official" candidate.


Nah. From my experience, every conservative I know is talking themselves into Trump because at least it's not Hillary. I think you underestimate how much she's hated.

post #10616 of 22490

Trump's bloated ego and unearned sense of greatness may be what saves us.  Every attempted 'pivot' rubber bands into a messier controversy.  Besides, are the attention spans of every affected group so far THAT bad?  Will 90 days of 'decent' behavior cancel out a year of shit?

post #10617 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post


Nah. From my experience, every conservative I know is talking themselves into Trump because at least it's not Hillary. I think you underestimate how much she's hated.
Not at all. It's part of the reason Trump still has a chance.

But don't underestimate that fact he would keep campaigning and all the nut jobs that vote for him. It'll be 1992 all over again.
post #10618 of 22490
It'll be Hillary's second inauguration in 2021, and you guys'll be like, "I think Trump still has a chance..."
post #10619 of 22490

Motherfuck Donald Trump.

 

The President's 2016 Summer playlist is pure flames. Even our countries most ardent enemies have long since stopped trying to go at the guy. He's just too damn cool.

post #10620 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

It'll be Hillary's second inauguration in 2021, and you guys'll be like, "I think Trump still has a chance..."
Pretty much yeah
post #10621 of 22490
What's funny was that Monday's teleprompter speech was supposed to be Trump's reboot. And then he fucked it up with a comment he probably forgot he said less than 24 hours later.

Trump's problem isn't unforced errors though. It's getting back on message. A simple non-apology about how he didn't mean to offend anyone would have worked 90 percent of the time. Instead, we get doubling down and making shit worse and finally a meeting with Trump's nannies. This has happened many times already.
post #10622 of 22490

I guess it's possible, as we get to the home stretch of this thing, that people are finally starting to appreciate the whole 'unfit for the office' thing. It's a great national shame that it's taken so long, or that it's still happening at all. The fact that there will likely be a number of red states on the final electoral map is just humiliating. 

 

It's become really tough for me to understand how someone could possibly vote for the man, beyond purely anarchic reasons. I can't not see Trump supporters as anything but people with a bone deep rot in their souls. They could be charitably called shamefully dumb, I suppose. Regardless, the Tea Party and its ilk has become the exact shitty, selfish grace note we should always have expected from the Boomers on their way out the door.

post #10623 of 22490
on a very surface level, I can see why someone would vote for Donald Trump: dude is charismatic and doesn't fit the ideal politician. Also: fuck politicians. I think everyone is so tired of the shenanigans that occurs in congress and the White House, where it feels like politicians are more interested in filling their pockets than helping people, where the political system is so fucked that it's almost impossible to get anything done.
post #10624 of 22490
I get that, but if the knock on politicians is that they're greedy and full of shit, how in da fuq is Trump a corrective? I guess I can see that someone would think he's the kind of guy that can 'get things done', if you just listen to what he says and don't research it at all. But that fits comfortably in the shamefully dumb category, for me.
post #10625 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post
 


Nah. From my experience, every conservative I know is talking themselves into Trump because at least it's not Hillary. I think you underestimate how much she's hated.

 

Not just that.  Pretty much the #1 goal of the GOP for the last 25 years or so has been "make sure Hillary Clinton never becomes President."  Even before Obama's administration, Hillary was the boogey(wo)man of the GOP.  Think about how the eight years of "hate that black guy in the White House" has galvanized segments of the GOP base.  Now think about how they've been playing that same routine with Hillary for over twice that amount of time.  "Giving up" and saying "Ehn, fine...we'll vote for Clinton" would be tossing 25 years of work out the window!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondguy View Post
 

Trump's bloated ego and unearned sense of greatness may be what saves us.  Every attempted 'pivot' rubber bands into a messier controversy.  Besides, are the attention spans of every affected group so far THAT bad?  Will 90 days of 'decent' behavior cancel out a year of shit?

 

Collective attention spans are that bad, yes.  Especially among white voters.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

It'll be Hillary's second inauguration in 2021, and you guys'll be like, "I think Trump still has a chance..."

 

I think treating him like he's a very real threat is the best possible course of action until the election is actually done.  We can save the whole patting ourselves on the back routine for afterwards.

 

Of course, then we have to have four years of Hillary campaigning for re-election because you can sure as shit count on the Republicans trying even harder to make her a one-term President than they did Obama.

post #10626 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Oreo View Post

on a very surface level, I can see why someone would vote for Donald Trump: dude is charismatic and doesn't fit the ideal politician. Also: fuck politicians. I think everyone is so tired of the shenanigans that occurs in congress and the White House, where it feels like politicians are more interested in filling their pockets than helping people, where the political system is so fucked that it's almost impossible to get anything done.

 

Yes. On a very surface level. I get the frustration, too. It's a big reason Sanders did so well.

 

What I do not get is how anyone can listen to him talk for more than 30 seconds and keep thinking, "This is my guy. He'd make a great president." Because it's obvious, less than a minute into any time he talks, that he's completely full of shit and doesn't fuck all about anything.

post #10627 of 22490

Not ONLY is he a political outsider...he doesn't even understand sarcasm!  That's just how OUSTSIDE HE IS:

 

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/764057342837088257

post #10628 of 22490

Something I've thought about in the last day:

 

I worry that Trump's crazy is peaking too soon. There are what, 85 days left before the election? HRC isn't Obama; she isn't generally beloved or even all that well liked, and she has some major weaknesses that a more sane person could exploit.

 

I fear that there's still time for the RNC to remove Trump and replace him with someone like Pence - an actual grown up, who has a record the far right will like and can string more than 4 words together coherently without requiring 7 fact checkers.

 

I mean, ideally, we'd see this level of implosion going on in mid-September, when it's far, far too late for the RNC to even contemplate recovery. 

 

Here's hoping that purported meeting between the RNC and Trump staffers is either bogus or has as much effect as all previous attempts to reign Trump in.

post #10629 of 22490

So a joint FBI-US Attorney investigation of the Clinton Foundation is now underway - http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/11/exclusive-joint-fbi-us-attorney-probe-of-clinton-foundation-is-underway/

 

At one point do Republicans take themselves to task for blowing such a golden opportunity? Or is that kind of self-reflection now considered devious leftist behavior?

post #10630 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 

I fear that there's still time for the RNC to remove Trump and replace him with someone like Pence - an actual grown up, who has a record the far right will like and can string more than 4 words together coherently without requiring 7 fact checkers.

 

 

The smartest thing that the RNC could do right now would be to yank Trump and make Pence the nominee.  He's come across as being rational and presidential in everything that I've seen, and he'd be able to muster a ton of support by the Republicans.  Indeed, I'd give him great odds at beating Hillary, especially if more and more hacking dirt comes to light.

post #10631 of 22490

Thing is, Trump doesn't go away if they do that. He'll probably continue to get more airtime. They don't want to be seen as disenfranchising the will of their shitty base. It could be DWS, but times ten. Plus, the people lit up by Trump are in part so excited because he's not a regular politician, whatever that means. I doubt very much replacing Trump is a slam dunk, no matter how vulnerable Clinton might seem.

post #10632 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post
 

Thing is, Trump doesn't go away if they do that. He'll probably continue to get more airtime. They don't want to be seen as disenfranchising the will of their shitty base. It could be DWS, but times ten. Plus, the people lit up by Trump are in part so excited because he's not a regular politician, whatever that means. I doubt very much replacing Trump is a slam dunk, no matter how vulnerable Clinton might seem.

This probably sounds hateful, but I think Trump's base is so gullible and easily led that they can easily be talked into voting for anything with an R by his name. I don't see people chanting "Kill that bitch" at rallies deciding to sit out this election.

post #10633 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post
 

So a joint FBI-US Attorney investigation of the Clinton Foundation is now underway - http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/11/exclusive-joint-fbi-us-attorney-probe-of-clinton-foundation-is-underway/

 

Tangent to the linked story: am I the only one who finds Terry McAuliffe incredibly punchable? A quick review of his record as governor says he did or tried to do some really good things, but he's always struck me as incredibly fake and smarmy.

post #10634 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post
 

This probably sounds hateful, but I think Trump's base is so gullible and easily led that they can easily be talked into voting for anything with an R by his name. I don't see people chanting "Kill that bitch" at rallies deciding to sit out this election.

 

If Trump said 'vote for Pence, he's your guy', most of the Trump faithful would do it.  He can do no wrong in their eyes.  Pence in there would absolutely hit the reset button, bring all of the hesitant 'never Trump' Republicans back into the fold, and mobilize the anti-Hillary movement.  From that point on, all that Pence would have to do is not fuck things up and let all of the damaging DNC/Hillary info that comes out between now and November 8th do the work for him.

post #10635 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

 

The smartest thing that the RNC could do right now would be to yank Trump and make Pence the nominee.  He's come across as being rational and presidential in everything that I've seen, and he'd be able to muster a ton of support by the Republicans.  Indeed, I'd give him great odds at beating Hillary, especially if more and more hacking dirt comes to light.

 

Just to be clear though, Pence is 100% scum in his own right: anti-evolution anti-women's rights, climate change denier, anti-LGBTQ rights etc. etc. He may be more coherent, but he's not exactly leagues removed from his boss on the shitbag scale. Not saying you're wrong in terms of it being smart politically, but he's still a pretty hardcore choice.

post #10636 of 22490
.
Edited by Agentsands77 - 11/9/16 at 6:23am
post #10637 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatoon View Post

 

Just to be clear though, Pence is 100% scum in his own right: anti-evolution anti-women's rights, climate change denier, anti-LGBTQ rights etc. etc. He may be more coherent, but he's not exactly leagues removed from his boss on the shitbag scale. Not saying you're wrong in terms of it being smart politically, but he's still a pretty hardcore choice.

 

Which is why I think he'd had a good chance of beating HRC. He lines up perfectly with the worst, most hateful of the far right's key issues, he's essentially scandal-free, and he has governing experience.

 

Picking Pence as his running mate might yet prove to be the most strategic thing Trump does, especially if Trump himself somehow exits the race and Pence becomes the nominee.

 

I'd rather have Kasich, even though both choices make me nauseous, as Kasich doesn't seem to be as hardline as Pence is.

post #10638 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatoon View Post
 

 

Just to be clear though, Pence is 100% scum in his own right: anti-evolution anti-women's rights, climate change denier, anti-LGBTQ rights etc. etc. He may be more coherent, but he's not exactly leagues removed from his boss on the shitbag scale. Not saying you're wrong in terms of it being smart politically, but he's still a pretty hardcore choice.

 

I'm not defending his stance, I'm merely defending his demeanor.  The man is, for lack of a better term, presidential.  Love him or hate him, he looks and acts the part, and he doesn't step on his dick every 5 minutes by making outlandish statements.  Because he's the VP nominee, he's getting out there and getting known, and a lot of people are finding him relatable and, dare I say it, likable.  I think he'd absolutely win against Hillary.

 

I don't think for a second that Reince isn't aware of this, either.  They're probably already trying to figure out if they can flip the ticket to Pence/Trump so that they can keep the ballots in place.

post #10639 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

But how would that play out with states' ballot requirements?

 

Flip the ticket.  Pence becomes the Presidential nominee, Trump becomes the VP nominee.  That would turn shit around fast fast fast for the Republican campaign.

post #10640 of 22490

Nothing Trump has ever done in his life suggests he'd be ok with that.

post #10641 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post
 

Nothing Trump has ever done in his life suggests he'd be ok with that.

 

Yep, that's why we're probably safe.  His ego won't allow him to do the right thing for the party.

post #10642 of 22490

Not only would he not accept it, and I mean, he obviously wouldn't accept it-- he's not in this just to have a job-- but also, why go to unprecedented lengths to get rid of a toxic problem, only to keep it around?  It would be the kind of solution where nobody ends up happy.  (Which is the one reason that remotely suggests the Republicans might do it.)

post #10643 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

 

Flip the ticket.  Pence becomes the Presidential nominee, Trump becomes the VP nominee.  That would turn shit around fast fast fast for the Republican campaign.

 

As much as I agree that literally anyone else has a legit shot at beating Clinton this year, and as hilarious as it would be for Trump to publicly have to deal with being demoted and having a boss (cue Mr. Blonde: "I don't have a boss"), slotting him in to the Palin end doesn't, historically, help the top of the ticket and certainly doesn't take the spotlight off the VP. If they want Trump not to be their nominee for President and retain any shot of gaining the office, they're going to have to remove him from the equation entirely.* And I just don't see how that can legally happen and remain on all the ballots anymore. Although in this freakin election, I'm not counting anything out.

 

But holy shit, picturing a demoted Donald in a VP debate is even more tantalizing than vs Clinton, who will certainly show some "presidential" restraint. Kaine would have SO much more license to bait him mercilessly. "Your own party deemed you unfit for the office, Donald. Pipe down and wait your turn."

 

*And virtually (or maybe literally) gag him with some no-press order with a hardcore NDC to keep him out of the press for three months. Hahahahaha -- right. He'd blow the NDC in a week and toss the lawsuit on the pile with the others.

 

So, yeah, now I'm kind of hoping they do flip the ticket.

post #10644 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post
 

So a joint FBI-US Attorney investigation of the Clinton Foundation is now underway - http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/11/exclusive-joint-fbi-us-attorney-probe-of-clinton-foundation-is-underway/

 

At one point do Republicans take themselves to task for blowing such a golden opportunity? Or is that kind of self-reflection now considered devious leftist behavior?

 

This time they'll get her for sure!  Totally in the bag this time!

post #10645 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
 

Not only would he not accept it, and I mean, he obviously wouldn't accept it-- he's not in this just to have a job-- but also, why go to unprecedented lengths to get rid of a toxic problem, only to keep it around?  It would be the kind of solution where nobody ends up happy.  (Which is the one reason that remotely suggests the Republicans might do it.)

 

Because it's their only option.  I think that Trump would absolutely go nuclear if he was outright removed from the ticket.  He would absolutely bring down the Republican party with him.  The only thing that might work is to appeal to his ego.

 

Donald: you already said that you plan on having your vice president run all domestic and foreign affairs, and all that you want to focus on is making America great again.  Since you're ceding all actual power to him, why not just make him the actual president and become the vice president yourself?  It'd be much easier to focus on 'making America great again' from the passenger seat.

 

He won't go for it, but it's the best option to keep him from exercising his nuclear option.

post #10646 of 22490

The Vice President doesn't have the option to order a nuclear strike.  Trump doesn't want to lose that.

 

Edit:  Basically what Judas already said.

post #10647 of 22490

Krugman on the simple reason Rs are still supporting Trump: tax cuts for the wealthy - http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/12/opinion/pieces-of-silver.html

I mean, we knew this, but it's good to be reminded.

post #10648 of 22490
If the Republicans were to hypothetically flip the two, all the Democrats would have to do is concentrate their messaging on how broken the GOP is to have made such an unprecedented move.

The GOP couldn't even counter with the treatment of Bernie Sanders because it wouldn't even be close to the subversion of constituent will that a party ticket switch-up like that would be.

Trump had to read from a prepared statement to do a detail-free endorsement of Ryan, McCain, and Ayotte. This is the GOP's guy and their stuck with him.
post #10649 of 22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

If the Republicans were to hypothetically flip the two, all the Democrats would have to do is concentrate their messaging on how broken the GOP is to have made such an unprecedented move.

The GOP couldn't even counter with the treatment of Bernie Sanders because it wouldn't even be close to the subversion of constituent will that a party ticket switch-up like that would be.

 

Wouldn't matter.  Flipping the two would keep the Trump supporters in line and reel in the 'never Trump' Republicans.  If they kept quiet and let all of the email leaks/anti-Hillary talk rule the airwaves for the next three months, they'd have a solid shot at winning.  They'd lose some support for the 'broken GOP' messaging, but they'd gain a lot more from the people who would now be able to support the Republican ticket without Trump at the top.

post #10650 of 22490
It's an unworkable idea. The Trump supporters would lose their minds and Trump would stilk have a tongue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Political Discourse
CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › 2016: God is Dead