CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › PACIFIC RIM: UPRISING (2018) Pre-Release Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PACIFIC RIM: UPRISING (2018) Pre-Release Thread - Page 3

post #101 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

Not to be "that guy" but isn't one of the reasons Pacific Rim's getting a sequel because of it's success in China? So, you'd think they'd want to appeal to China with the sequel, right? But - and there's no easy way to say this - isn't China kinda terribly racist? 


Considering how much they minimized Boyega in the advertisements for TFA beforehand...yeah, it is a little funny.  Maybe they figure the brand is established over there?

post #102 of 386
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

Not to be "that guy" but isn't one of the reasons Pacific Rim's getting a sequel because of it's success in China? So, you'd think they'd want to appeal to China with the sequel, right? But - and there's no easy way to say this - isn't China kinda terribly racist? 


Yeah, they're so racist they just cast John Boyega in the movie.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp View Post
 

I greatly anticipate seeing the first trailer for this in a packed theater:

 

Almost half the audience: "They made a Pacific Rim 2? Why?"

 

The other half: "What's Pacific Rim?"

 

Two dudes in the exact center of the theater: "YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!"


This coming from the guy who literally drops to his knees whenever Blomkamp announces a new project amuses me greatly.

post #103 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post
 


Yeah, they're so racist they just cast John Boyega in the movie.

 

 

Wait! China cast Pacific Rim 2?

post #104 of 386
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

 

Wait! China cast Pacific Rim 2?

 

Well, you're saying that Chinese box office is responsible for PR 2 so they would've been upset with Boyega being cast since they're so damn racist.

post #105 of 386

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

 

But China isn't casting this movie. If they were, Boyega wouldn't have a chance. As Dent pointed out above, they purposely minimized him on the cover for TFA over there. 

post #106 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post
 


Yeah, they're so racist they just cast John Boyega in the movie.

 

 


This coming from the guy who literally drops to his knees whenever Blomkamp announces a new project amuses me greatly.


Huh?

 

I did love District 9. I was excited pre-release about Elysium but it was fairly disappointing, but there were things that I liked. It was like a B-minus movie for me. Chappie was a mess, the script for that thing was just all over the place, and I had always had tempered expectations for it. But yeah, that was bad.

 

Incorrect ad hominems aside, none of that changes the fact that 1) Pacific Rim was not that successful relative to its budget, especially in the States, and 2) the only people I know who like it are people on here. it's a niche audience flick. and there's about a dozen other things I wish GdT was working on instead, but whatever, that's just me (and a bunch of other people).

post #107 of 386
I LOVE CHAPPIE!!
post #108 of 386

URGH

post #109 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I LOVE CHAPPIE!!


there are a lot of elements and ideas in Chappie that I like. but there are also a ton of things I don't like at all and the movie's story and plot are just poorly constructed.

post #110 of 386

Pacific Rim also has an element that I like, and that's when jaegers fight kaiju. that is pretty cool. I like that.

 

and that's it.

post #111 of 386
Thread Starter 

It's a fun concept/universe that PR exists in. Giant robots fighting giant monsters is something I can get behind.

post #112 of 386

true enough. and maybe the sequel will have something, anything, else worth giving a damn about.

post #113 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

Not to be "that guy" but isn't one of the reasons Pacific Rim's getting a sequel because of it's success in China? So, you'd think they'd want to appeal to China with the sequel, right? But - and there's no easy way to say this - isn't China kinda terribly racist? 

 

And HOW!

 

 

But fuck em.  Boyega's such a massive improvement I'm actually kind of hopeful for this sequel I didn't want.

post #114 of 386

I'm weirdly hoping he's playing Hacker Pentecost, Stacker's computer whiz-kid of a son, and that he gets a "Today we are cancelling the Apocalypse..... for my dad!" speech.

post #115 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

I'm weirdly hoping he's playing Hacker Pentecost, Stacker's computer whiz-kid of a son, and that he gets a "Today we are cancelling the Apocalypse..... for my dad!" speech.


Apparently he IS playing Stacker Pentecost's son:

 

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/06/john-boyega-pacific-rim-2-lead-guillermo-del-toro-steven-s-deknight-1201685076/

post #116 of 386
John Boyega for Ron Perlman's estranged son, rediscovering his relationship with his father as they try to pull off a multi-million-dollar deal job in the high-stakes world of black-market Kaiju parts.
post #117 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post
 


Apparently he IS playing Stacker Pentecost's son:

 

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/06/john-boyega-pacific-rim-2-lead-guillermo-del-toro-steven-s-deknight-1201685076/

 

 

NO WAY

 

Today is my favorite day of the year.

post #118 of 386

Oh shit, Steven S. DeKnight is directing?

 

My optimism for this is growing fast.

post #119 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp View Post
 

I greatly anticipate seeing the first trailer for this in a packed theater:

 

Almost half the audience: "They made a Pacific Rim 2? Why?"

 

The other half: "What's Pacific Rim?"

 

Two dudes in the exact center of the theater: "YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!"

 

One off those two dudes will be me.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post
 

 

Did it shrink his manhood too?  She certainly wouldn't have bleached him if she got a taste of that black D. 

 

Or is it racist to think that all asian males have small Ds and that all black males have big Ds?

 

Once you go black you never go bleach.

post #120 of 386

DeKnight's a left-field choice, I was expecting someone who'd done one of those small budget Del Toro-produced horror flicks. But good for him, at least this time they have better writers on board.

post #121 of 386
Aww man. You mean i might have to be excited for a sequel to Pacific Rim?

This is a horrid day
post #122 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post
 

 

And HOW!

 

 

But fuck em.  Boyega's such a massive improvement I'm actually kind of hopeful for this sequel I didn't want.

 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/29/asia/chinese-racist-detergent-ad-apology/

 

I mentioned this in another thread, but to be fair a lot of Chinese people called BS on that ad. Based on my limited experience there definitely seems to be shades of the US in terms of urban/rural, older/younger break-downs over this stuff (gay rights is a similar issue), complicated by the fact that most parts of China are VERY racially homogeneous so how you should treat people from different races is often a hypothetical question rather than a practical one. That said, seeing people here go ape-shit over ALL the Avengers (I've seen lots of War Machine/Falcon toys and apparel) is at least a hopeful sign that increased diversity in US blockbusters (which is all you get over here) could have a positive effect on social perception. As for the actual movie, Pacific Rim was 30 minutes of a great film, if they can improve that number I'm in. It's also kind of a point of pride in my city (Changzhou) that Crimson Typhoon got built here. Much like my hometown of Rochester, NY it's nice to get the occasional random shout-out like our big city brethren. Damn shame when that budget constraint kaiju got him. 

post #123 of 386

I would like to pilot the Jaeger built in Cleveland.

 

Or at least die in the initial piloting attempt.

post #124 of 386

Separately, my wife was not pleased with John Boyega's casting.  She wanted Idris Elba back.  When I said Idris shouldn't play his own son, she asked me "Why the fuck not?"

 

Tough to argue with hormones.

post #125 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Class 782 View Post

Separately, my wife was not pleased with John Boyega's casting.  She wanted Idris Elba back.  When I said Idris shouldn't play his own son, she asked me "Why the fuck not?"

Tough to argue with hormones common sense.

Fixed.
post #126 of 386
"You can always find me in the Drift."

Elba will be back.
post #127 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Class 782 View Post

I would like to pilot the Jaeger built in Cleveland.

Or at least die in the initial piloting attempt.
The Cleveland Jaeger would do fine until the final battle...then it would fail in the most hilariously, devastating way possible.
post #128 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatoon View Post
 

 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/29/asia/chinese-racist-detergent-ad-apology/

 

I mentioned this in another thread, but to be fair a lot of Chinese people called BS on that ad. Based on my limited experience there definitely seems to be shades of the US in terms of urban/rural, older/younger break-downs over this stuff (gay rights is a similar issue), complicated by the fact that most parts of China are VERY racially homogeneous so how you should treat people from different races is often a hypothetical question rather than a practical one. That said, seeing people here go ape-shit over ALL the Avengers (I've seen lots of War Machine/Falcon toys and apparel) is at least a hopeful sign that increased diversity in US blockbusters (which is all you get over here) could have a positive effect on social perception. As for the actual movie, Pacific Rim was 30 minutes of a great film, if they can improve that number I'm in. It's also kind of a point of pride in my city (Changzhou) that Crimson Typhoon got built here. Much like my hometown of Rochester, NY it's nice to get the occasional random shout-out like our big city brethren. Damn shame when that budget constraint kaiju got him. 

I love how the end of that ad is him going "And now you go, I want a white women!"

post #129 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul755 View Post


The Cleveland Jaeger would do fine until the final battle...then it would fail in the most hilariously, devastating way possible.

I guarantee the New Haven one won't be able to get out of the parking lot.

post #130 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatoon View Post

It's also kind of a point of pride in my city (Changzhou) that Crimson Typhoon got built here. Much like my hometown of Rochester, NY it's nice to get the occasional random shout-out like our big city brethren. Damn shame when that budget constraint kaiju got him. 
Crimson Typhoon went out like a bitch. Youd think the Chinese would have been PISSED. Hell, I was pissed.
post #131 of 386
Especially since it was one of the cooler jaegers with a cool name.
post #132 of 386

ehehehe, too bad it wasn't called CRIMSON PEAK...

post #133 of 386

In a summer where sequels that nobody asked for are making less than the original, I really wonder what the point here is.

post #134 of 386
Don't queation it im so happy!!

I bet it made a lot of international. Legendary does warcraft 2 that will be even crazier.
post #135 of 386
All I really want out of Pacific Rim 2 is for them to drop the CGI and give us guys in rubber suits instead.
post #136 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp View Post
 

I greatly anticipate seeing the first trailer for this in a packed theater:

 

Almost half the audience: "They made a Pacific Rim 2? Why?"

 

The other half: "What's Pacific Rim?"

 

Two dudes in the exact center of the theater: "YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!"


Hey, there's at least 3 dudes in my group, and my wife.  So 4 of us in the center of the theater, pretty much.

post #137 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

All I really want out of Pacific Rim 2 is for them to drop the CGI and give us guys in rubber suits instead.

 

That would look so bad.  Nobody can do suitmation like the Japanese can, but even they have been making the transition to CGI for Kaiju and giant mecha stuff for years now.  If the latest teasers for Gamera and Ultraman are anything to go by, about the only thing left that they still do for real is Super Sentai, and even that has a lot of CGI doubles now.  Heck a lot of that goes full CG too.

 

Godzilla Resurgence is man-in-suit, but it looks kinda bad so far.

post #138 of 386

I'm not sure about that. Nowadays there are very small cameras that shoot crazy fps, with those and some of that Hobbit forced perspective / digital compositing trickery you could pull off pretty mental guy-in-suit action. 

post #139 of 386

I would agree with practical puppets or suits if the first movies monsters didn't look so great, which they did.  It's fine for Pac Rim to do CG.

post #140 of 386

Even though the design aesthetic of PR was to make it look like all the Jaegers and Kaiju's could be people in suits, they were still inhuman enough where it wouldn't be practical without a lot CGI accentuation anyway.  It would have to involve a lot wire work, broken bones to whip around all those massive appendages, and loads of CGI doubles.

 

Having 2 dudes in rubber suits wrestle each other in miniature city's or countryside has always looked like exactly that.  I don't think a big budget mainstream Hollywood movie would ever do that unless as a parody. Just look how that first King Kong remake turned out.  Rick Baker in a monkey suit, ehck. I mean if Marvel's not ever gonna make the Hulk a real guy again...

 

Can't say I wasn't a bit disappointed that the live action Transformers weren't dudes in fiberglass/cardboard robot suits like in Super Sentai, though.  Not even state of the art animatronic heads for closeups.  But the cgi in those movies are so good and lifelike, so that's okay.

post #141 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Class 782 View Post
 

I would like to pilot the Jaeger built in Cleveland.

 

Or at least die in the initial piloting attempt.

Will you settle for New Jersey?

post #142 of 386

I couldn't pilot the Jersey Jaeger (best band name or best band name EVER?).

 

I'm not a made man.

post #143 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBM View Post

But the cgi in those movies are so good and lifelike, so that's okay.
Hahahahahaha no.
post #144 of 386
Guillermo del Toro is not directing this? I didn't even like the first one and this disappoints me.

Maybe because I disliked the first Hellboy but dug Hellboy II..
post #145 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post


Hahahahahaha no.


 Okay. Say what will you about the quality of those movies overall, but damn if a lot of the shots feel as if the bots are actually real things in the frame.  That's not something you can say about most CGI these days.  There was that little crazy guy in the first one where the few scant shots of the real puppet looked flat and rubbery, while the cgi shots were actually more convincing.  Digital Domain can do some damn good photorealistic rendering. 

 

And the TF animation is lifelike because a lot of it is mocapped, its just blended so well with all of the key frame animation that its hard to notice unless you have a keen eye, like me.

post #146 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacuumJockey View Post
 

Will you settle for New Jersey?

 

No one should settle for New Jersey.

post #147 of 386

 

I would pilot the Canadian Jaeger.  I'd be notable for being the only pilot to go it solo.  My other seat is occupied by my beer keg.  

post #148 of 386

Needs more flying Jaegers and city sized Kaijus.  Think the Independence Day saucers, just fleshy.

 

"DOESN'T ANYONE HAVE ANY ELBOW ROCKETS LEFT!?"

post #149 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBM View Post
 

Needs more flying Jaegers and city sized Kaijus.  Think the Independence Day saucers, just fleshy.

 

"DOESN'T ANYONE HAVE ANY ELBOW ROCKETS LEFT!?"

*Snowblind stumbles into the fight awkwardly.  Clearly extremely drunk*

 

Sorry I'm late, Mr. President!  I got hung up back there... Armed and packin', lets plow the road!

 

*accidentally shoots Nooj and Bradito's Jaeger*

post #150 of 386
I still hate that Del Toro ignored my homeland of Chile on the Pacific Rim script/Lore, specially because Chile not only has the largest stretch of pacific coast on the planet, but is also the entry point to the Atlantic Ocean.
I get that having the South American Shatterdome being based in Lima/Peru is because it's a more we'll known country internationally, but from a logic/realism POV, it makes no sense that Chile gets snubbed.

Also, crazy idea for the sequel: go full Attack on Titan on it, with grunts wearing powered armor/exoesqueletons acting as a infantry, ground based anti kanji army, essentially the guys that buy time for a Jaeger to be deployed.
I mean, Edge of Tomorrow plus Godzilla! Go full EDF on the sequel!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › PACIFIC RIM: UPRISING (2018) Pre-Release Thread