New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cool Shit

post #1 of 424
Thread Starter 

Hopefully the antithesis of the "Tired Shit" thread, this can be a place to remark upon the little niceties, the little (or big) cool things that happen to us occasionally.

 

As a starter, I just ordered a pizza and a 2-litre diet soda for us, planning to watch Godzilla this afternoon. Turns out they were out of diet soda bottles, but the delivery guy brought us four large individual fountain sodas with ice at no charge. Needless to say, he got a very nice tip.

 

Your turn.

post #2 of 424
Yay! Ive been wanting one if these for months, but never had the online confidence to start the thread.

So this thread is my first "Cool Shit" entry smile.gif

Second is the fact that my daughter has been learning the ukelele. She now knows 4 chords that she can quickly move between. We jammed together for the first time at the weekend, me on guitar, her on uke. It sounds lame but, for us, it was the coolest shit ever smile.gif
post #3 of 424

Finished up a lengthy (and overplanned) Jack & Jill for my sister and her fiance yesterday.  Invested $1,000.00 on it, $3,062.00 total profit overall.  She wants Hawaii, she's gettin' Hawaii.  Both of our parents have passed, it's been a rather emotional time, and this mark in the "plus" column is exactly what we needed.

post #4 of 424
Antibiotics.

I'm certainly not a proponent of their overuse and I try to avoid them if possible, but when you absolutely need them then they're freaking great.

We truly will be fucked if everything becomes resistant to them though.
post #5 of 424

My wife's 50th birthday is this December, and I left it up to her to decide where she wanted to go for vacation.  After much stewing on the issue, she decided that she wanted to go to Disney World for two weeks over Christmas and New Years.  I did some research and worked with AAA on this to put together a package that got her everything that she wanted and fit our budget.

 

We were about to pull the trigger on this when I got an email from Disney for a coupon (I'm on their mailing list, as we've been down to Disney World three times over the past 9 years): it got us the dining package for free as long as we arrived down there by a certain date, which was going to be the case (just barely).  I forwarded the coupon to our AAA agent and asked her if we qualified for it.

 

YES

 

She got Disney to apply the code and reworked the package for us.  Doing the math, it looks like this last minute coupon from Disney is going to save us around $1200 when all is said and done.  That should enable me to buy her some nice shit while we're down there for two weeks.

 

I AM SPARTACUS.

post #6 of 424

Oh, and here's proof that I work for the right company:

 

Some of you know that I've been in and out of the hospital quite a bit over the past 2 and a half months, eventually spending about half of August sitting on my ass in a hospital bed.  Work has been awesome about letting me deal with this, and the client that I am doing work for has been incredibly supportive while I deal with my medical issues.

 

Today, my boss had a check-in chat with me to see how I was doing (and, for the record, I'm doing GREAT so far).  She asked how my wife is doing and how she handled everything with my hospital stays.  I won't lie, my wife was a trooper but the whole situation really stressed her out.  What does my boss do?  She tells me to take my wife out to any restaurant that she wants and expense it to the company up to $200.

 

So yeah, I'm pretty loyal to this place.

post #7 of 424
Judas, both of those posts are awesome.


This November is our ten-year anniversary. We got married in Vegas in 2004, nothing Elvis-y, a "real" wedding with a block of 60 rooms reserved in two different hotels, a fleet of three buses to take our guests from the Strip to the wedding hall and back, etc. Kinda made us broke for a while afterwards, but if we had had the same scale wedding here in NYC, it would've easily been double or triple. Also, both of us, as well as the vast majority of our friends, are (or at least, were) huge proponents of vice in general, so a destination wedding in Vegas seemed like a grand plan. It was, about a 100 people showed up out of the 120 or so invited, and was a truly fantastic time. Life then got in the way, careers followed by kids happened, and we haven't been back since.

Decided to say fuck it, just booked an Elvis Chapel on the Strip for our 10-year anniversary, so we can renew our vows before the King. Only inviting a select group of friends, and conniving family to watch the kids. Also getting her the diamond engagement ring I couldn't afford ten years ago.

Can. Not. Wait.
post #8 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Oh, and here's proof that I work for the right company:

Some of you know that I've been in and out of the hospital quite a bit over the past 2 and a half months, eventually spending about half of August sitting on my ass in a hospital bed.  Work has been awesome about letting me deal with this, and the client that I am doing work for has been incredibly supportive while I deal with my medical issues.

Today, my boss had a check-in chat with me to see how I was doing (and, for the record, I'm doing GREAT so far).  She asked how my wife is doing and how she handled everything with my hospital stays.  I won't lie, my wife was a trooper but the whole situation really stressed her out.  What does my boss do?  She tells me to take my wife out to any restaurant that she wants and expense it to the company up to $200.

So yeah, I'm pretty loyal to this place.

That's brilliant. It's amazing how much harder you work for a company like that as well.

The place I work is similar in its outlook. They are invested in me, as a person. My bosses regularly ask about my wife and kids, they bend over backwards to ensure I can do personal stuff. They expect me to work hard, and be the best I can be at work, and because of their attitude towards me I have no problems with that. They also praise and reward me for my work.

Because of this, despite the fact I'm doing harder stuff and working harder than ever before my actual work stress levels are way down and I'm genuinely the happiest I've been in any job.

I wish more employers were the same.
post #9 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post


That's brilliant. It's amazing how much harder you work for a company like that as well.
 

 

I won't lie...we've had a few people leave our company for more money over the past two weeks in a sort of mini-Exodus.  We're busy as hell and hiring like mad for all of the new contracts, and losing some of these people (a few of whom are leads) is putting a strain on management.  I have little doubt that, while my boss genuinely likes me and also knows and likes my wife, she also needs me to stick around and not leave as well.  It's things like this dinner that do a good job of solidifying my loyalty to this place.

post #10 of 424
The older I get the more I realise what makes me happier in a job. I mean thats relatively easy for me now because my skill set ensures I can pretty much always be on a good wicket. I certainly cant see me being lured by more money anywhere.

Other cool shit: this site. Its supportive, insightful etc but what I most like is that it can make me reassess long held beliefs on things, or rather assessments of things formed from my 20 or 30 year old self.

When it's at it's best it makes me reappraise things. Even a single comment can do that. Sometimes my opinion wont change, but a lot of times it does, simply because I've got more life experience now and can rejudge things that my 20 or 30 year old self couldn't or wouldn't.

This isnt a put down of being 20 or 30 BTW, more a recognition that I was blinkered or hampered then. And they say you get more set in your ways as you get older. I think Ive actually become more accepting of others opinions, or at least accepting of the fact that other peoples opinions may actually be valid.
post #11 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post
I think Ive actually become more accepting of others opinions, or at least accepting of the fact that other peoples opinions may actually be valid.

 

I wish more people were like you on the internet.  Most of the people that I run into are convinced that anyone that disagrees with them is a complete idiot.

post #12 of 424
Cheers. I can still be pig headed though smile.gif

I think it stems from acknowledging what a dick I've been in the past. The "jukebox of shame" (embarrassing or dick things you've done randomly popping into your head), when you face those things head on, certainly makes you realise that you aren't the be all and end all.
post #13 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post

Other cool shit: this site. Its supportive, insightful etc but what I most like is that it can make me reassess long held beliefs on things, or rather assessments of things formed from my 20 or 30 year old self.

When it's at it's best it makes me reappraise things. Even a single comment can do that. Sometimes my opinion wont change, but a lot of times it does, simply because I've got more life experience now and can rejudge things that my 20 or 30 year old self couldn't or wouldn't.

This isnt a put down of being 20 or 30 BTW, more a recognition that I was blinkered or hampered then. And they say you get more set in your ways as you get older. I think Ive actually become more accepting of others opinions, or at least accepting of the fact that other peoples opinions may actually be valid.
I don't post anywhere else on the internet but from all I've gathered, this is one of the sanest most knowledgable, friendliest places to socialize.

And regarding the accepting others opinions thing....well, I feel like I kinda have to here. There's some actual real INTELLECTUALS posting around here (I'm certainly not including myself in that). The Baileys and the Jacknifejohnnys and the Mangys and Arjens and Singers etc etc are all obviously so much smarter than (me) the knuckleheads that I interact with in my day to day life that it astounds me. There's not a one of y'all I haven't learned something from. And believe me...I need all of it I can get haha. It's great to know people like y'all are out there because you run into so many awful folks you begin to wonder if that's all there is. It's certainly the majority.

Anyway....more Cool Shit: Real Friends

I loaned my blu ray of Christine to a friend out of town a few weeks ago. I don't loan my stuff out much but this guy's like a brother to me and I trust him with my life so...a blu ray is small potatoes.

Today I go to the post office and amongst my mail I have an Amazon package (wasn't expecting anything) and a letter from him. The Amazon package was a brand new Christine blu and the letter was explaining that my copy that I had loaned him apparently got stolen (among a bunch of their stuff too) by either some of her shady friends or his idiot brother....they haven't figured out who yet. The letter said that he shit when he went on Amazon and saw how much it cost. But he owed it to me, he felt and replaced it right away. He has no kids and is pretty well off...otherwise I wouldn't have let him pay over a $100 for a movie just to pay me back. I'd have felt like I was taking food out of his kids mouth(s). But since that's not the case, I was glad to have it replaced but even more glad to know that there's still folks like that out there..
post #14 of 424

That's called CLASS.  Hold onto friends like that, Fraid.

post #15 of 424
Thread Starter 

It's finally my second date with someone I met a few weeks ago, I have the house to myself this weekend, I get to cook for her (almost always a plus in my book), and she's staying overnight to watch the Falcons game with me for brunch on Sunday (I made it spectacularly clear that I have a guest room for her). And she wants to watch, as she put it, "something scary" Saturday night.

 

Any suggestions?

post #16 of 424

If she wants to watch something scary, be sure to be ready to cuddle and let her bury her head in your chest.

 

For modern movies, I really liked SINISTER.  For classics, you really can't go wrong with THE SHINING (if she's never seen it) or THE THING.  

 

If she's really fucking cool, show her SHAUN OF THE DEAD.

post #17 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

It's finally my second date with someone I met a few weeks ago, I have the house to myself this weekend, I get to cook for her (almost always a plus in my book), and she's staying overnight to watch the Falcons game with me for brunch on Sunday (I made it spectacularly clear that I have a guest room for her). And she wants to watch, as she put it, "something scary" Saturday night.

Any suggestions?

The Human Centipede, of course!



Or, go classy/classic. Slant did a decent top 100 list last year. I'd go with An American Werewolf in London, the original Halloween, or Rosemary's Baby. Also, 2008's The Hottie and the Nottie, starring Paris Hilton, is fucking terrifying.

Good luck!
post #18 of 424
I'll go oldschool and say The Haunting.
post #19 of 424

NOSFERATU.  I showed that to my wife last Halloween and she absolutely loved it.  Very proud of her for liking that one.

post #20 of 424
Thread Starter 

Great suggestions. I'm thinking old-school/modern double feature now. I guess I need to find out what she has and hasn't seen.

 

You guys rock.

post #21 of 424
American Werewolf in London is a great suggestion.

The Descent is the most recent film that has actually scared me most. The wife HATES horror films and she loved the Descent. I thought it would lose her when the cave dwellers appeared but it didnt at all.
post #22 of 424
It may be too late for suggestions but I've found one that has NEVER failed me as a date movie is Brotherhood of the Wolf. It's like the movie equivalent of Barry White. It has this absolutely perfect mixture of ferocity and raw sensuality (with more than a hint of kink). But it also has horror elements which will get her snuggled up to ya for sure. Being a French language film doesn't hurt (and also earns you unexpected points for being....or at least SEEMING...in my case...cultured).

I can't for the life of me think of one to double feature with this though..
post #23 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

It may be too late for suggestions but I've found one that has NEVER failed me as a date movie is Brotherhood of the Wolf. It's like the movie equivalent of Barry White. It has this absolutely perfect mixture of ferocity and raw sensuality (with more than a hint of kink). But it also has horror elements which will get her snuggled up to ya for sure. Being a French language film doesn't hurt (and also earns you unexpected points for being....or at least SEEMING...in my case...cultured).

I can't for the life of me think of one to double feature with this though..

 

David Lee Roth vs werewolves...what's not to love?

post #24 of 424
Thread Starter 

Just got off the phone with her, looks like we're going with the 1958 Hammer Dracula, and An American Werewolf In London, both of which she's aware of, but neither of which she has seen. Keeping dinner light (cheese platter, chopped salad, crusty Italian bread), but doing the full-on Eggs Benedict brunch with Bloody Marys tomorrow.

 

It feels weird being nervous about a date. Haven't felt like this in a long time.

post #25 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

Just got off the phone with her, looks like we're going with the 1958 Hammer Dracula, and An American Werewolf In London, both of which she's aware of, but neither of which she has seen.
Man, I kinda hafta hate you now.

(Best o' luck with the date!)
post #26 of 424
Its Fathers Day in NZ

I got:

A toy Groot
Mr Mercedes by Stephen King
A Dr Who DVD

Being loved enough to be brought presents they know I'll like is cool shit indeed smile.gif
post #27 of 424
My girl drew me a card with Daddy Groot holding a dancing Baby Groot. (Dont worry I wont inflict any more of my kids art)

I tweeted it to James Gunn who very kindly "favourited" it. This has made my girl (and me) very happy!

So celebs who take the time to acknowledge their fans = cool shit.

Also, Ive followed him on twitter for a while and he seems like a genuinely nice bloke. Very pleased GotG is doing so well for him.
post #28 of 424
Thread Starter 

Best.

 

Date.

 

Ever.

 

Thanks, Falcons.

 

What scares me is that I could get used to this.

post #29 of 424
Meeting good people. Caught up with Bucho last night in Auckland.

Good times, good food, good chat.

In charming kiwi parlance he is a good cunt smile.gif
post #30 of 424

When medical things you've been concerned about are NOT cancer.

post #31 of 424
Kimchi. Tastes great, full of probiotics. Keeps your gut in check when on antibiotics.

Super food!
post #32 of 424

I'm gonna run out of rep on this thread real fast.

 

Nothing huge to report but one of my best friends from high school just messaged me to say that my appreciation for Star Wars Lego has made a big impression on her 8-year-old son. I'll take validation anywhere I can get it.

post #33 of 424
Chicken salt
post #34 of 424

At 34, I am officially going away on holiday with a girlfriend for the first time ever. We're only doing 4 days in Cape Town, so I guess it can be considered a test-run of sorts but I'm still pretty excited. Also exciting? The fact that I'm seeing someone I'd actually consider going away with.

post #35 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post
 

At 34, I am officially going away on holiday with a girlfriend for the first time ever. We're only doing 4 days in Cape Town, so I guess it can be considered a test-run of sorts but I'm still pretty excited. Also exciting? The fact that I'm seeing someone I'd actually consider going away with.

 

Before I asked my wife to marry me, I took her away to Vegas for a long weekend.  It was my first ever 'let's go away together' kind of vacation, and it was awesome....10/10.  I hope that you have the same experience!

post #36 of 424

It's no longer 115 degrees outside, and it won't be again for eight months.

 

I woke up at 4:30 this morning to 60 degree weather and was so excited I went for a five mile walk. I had almost forgotten what it was like to be outside and not be hot.

post #37 of 424

A terribly slow day at the theatre was brightened by a conversation with an elderly patron who wanted to know all about our new(ish) digital projection system. I reward curiosity.

post #38 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
 

It's no longer 115 degrees outside, and it won't be again for eight months.

 

I woke up at 4:30 this morning to 60 degree weather and was so excited I went for a five mile walk. I had almost forgotten what it was like to be outside and not be hot.

 

We had our last gorgeous weekend of 2014: it was 84 and sunny all weekend long, and the wife and I were outside for almost all of it.  It was GLORIOUS.

 

Today?  It's 56 and rainy, and I don't think we're supposed to get much above 60 for the immediate future.  While it's a bummer to have the temperature drop, it IS nice to have that crisp, clean Fall air to enjoy.

post #39 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

....She tells me to take my wife out to any restaurant that she wants and expense it to the company up to $200.

 

So yeah, I'm pretty loyal to this place.

 

 

Nice. 

 

It's funny how some companies (or at least managers) understand, and most don't, that this $200 just bought an employee that will probably work himself like a dog for them. 

post #40 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post

Kimchi. Tastes great, full of probiotics. Keeps your gut in check when on antibiotics.

Super food!

 

 

Kimchi is like a nuclear bomb on any head cold. TRUE SCIENCE. 

post #41 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavez View Post
 

 

It's funny how some companies (or at least managers) understand, and most don't, that this $200 just bought an employee that will probably work himself like a dog for them. 

 

I've won hearts and minds by distributing permanent nametags.

post #42 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
 

 

I've won hearts and minds by distributing permanent nametags.

 

 

Trust me, I'm one of those suckers....."Fuck this company what bullshit...." "Hey Dave, I just wanted to let you know we all see what a great job you're doing and really appreciate it." "I WILL RUN INTO A BURNING BUILDING TO SAVE LAST YEAR'S ACCOUNTING FOR YOU" 

post #43 of 424

I love it when people have too much time on their hands and come up with something randomly fun.

 

Open a command prompt on your computer of choice

 

Type and enter

 

tracert -h 100 216.81.59.173 

 

wait for a wee while while it gets to the nitty gritty then marvel at how someone made the effort to actually do this

 

For those that can't be bothered here's the output

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Tracing route to FIN [216.81.59.173]
over a maximum of 100 hops:

  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  -snip-
  2    26 ms    52 ms    28 ms  -snip-
  3    14 ms    33 ms    49 ms  -snip-
  4    18 ms    22 ms    22 ms  -snip-
  5    19 ms    23 ms    22 ms  -snip-
  6    27 ms    30 ms    30 ms  -snip-
  7    31 ms    31 ms    34 ms  -snip-
  8    26 ms    27 ms    30 ms  75.149.231.30
  9    46 ms    66 ms    66 ms  xe-1-2-0.atl11.ip4.tinet.net [89.149.181.117]
10     *       49 ms    49 ms  epik-networks-gw.ip4.tinet.net [77.67.69.158]
11    61 ms    59 ms    63 ms  po0-3.dsr2.atl.epikip.net [216.81.59.2]
12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
13   101 ms   118 ms   102 ms  Episode.IV [206.214.251.1]
14   101 ms   101 ms   102 ms  A.NEW.HOPE [206.214.251.6]
15    99 ms    99 ms    99 ms  It.is.a.period.of.civil.war [206.214.251.9]
16   102 ms   136 ms   117 ms  Rebel.spaceships [206.214.251.14]
17   116 ms    98 ms    95 ms  striking.from.a.hidden.base [206.214.251.17]
18   101 ms   115 ms    99 ms  have.won.their.first.victory [206.214.251.22]
19    99 ms    99 ms   100 ms  against.the.evil.Galactic.Empire [206.214.251.25]
20   118 ms    98 ms   100 ms  During.the.battle [206.214.251.30]
21   117 ms   101 ms   102 ms  Rebel.spies.managed [206.214.251.33]
22    99 ms   117 ms    94 ms  to.steal.secret.plans [206.214.251.38]
23   100 ms    96 ms   101 ms  to.the.Empires.ultimate.weapon [206.214.251.41]
24   103 ms   101 ms   105 ms  the.DEATH.STAR [206.214.251.46]
25    99 ms   100 ms    96 ms  an.armored.space.station [206.214.251.49]
26   120 ms   102 ms    98 ms  with.enough.power.to [206.214.251.54]
27    98 ms    98 ms   118 ms  destroy.an.entire.planet [206.214.251.57]
28    98 ms    97 ms   101 ms  Pursued.by.the.Empires [206.214.251.62]
29   101 ms   105 ms   117 ms  sinister.agents [206.214.251.65]
30   100 ms   100 ms   100 ms  Princess.Leia.races.home [206.214.251.70]
31   104 ms   101 ms   102 ms  aboard.her.starship [206.214.251.73]
32   105 ms   102 ms   103 ms  custodian.of.the.stolen.plans [206.214.251.78]
33   100 ms   100 ms   103 ms  that.can.save.her [206.214.251.81]
34   100 ms   106 ms   139 ms  people.and.restore [206.214.251.86]
35   100 ms   121 ms   102 ms  freedom.to.the.galaxy [206.214.251.89]
36    99 ms   101 ms    98 ms  0-------------------0 [206.214.251.94]
37   104 ms   118 ms   101 ms  0------------------0 [206.214.251.97]
38   100 ms    99 ms    99 ms  0-----------------0 [206.214.251.102]
39   102 ms   100 ms    97 ms  0----------------0 [206.214.251.105]
40   105 ms   118 ms   123 ms  0---------------0 [206.214.251.110]
41   100 ms   105 ms    98 ms  0--------------0 [206.214.251.113]
42   109 ms   115 ms   113 ms  0-------------0 [206.214.251.118]
43   161 ms   155 ms   154 ms  0------------0 [206.214.251.121]
44   114 ms    98 ms   112 ms  0-----------0 [206.214.251.126]
45   101 ms   124 ms   105 ms  0----------0 [206.214.251.129]
46    98 ms   143 ms   117 ms  0---------0 [206.214.251.134]
47   102 ms    97 ms   105 ms  0--------0 [206.214.251.137]
48   101 ms   101 ms   140 ms  0-------0 [206.214.251.142]
49   104 ms   107 ms   103 ms  0------0 [206.214.251.145]
50   102 ms   103 ms   104 ms  0-----0 [206.214.251.150]
51  1067 ms   100 ms   100 ms  0----0 [206.214.251.153]
52   100 ms   101 ms   104 ms  0---0 [206.214.251.158]
53   104 ms   101 ms   101 ms  0--0 [206.214.251.161]
54   108 ms   104 ms    99 ms  0-0 [206.214.251.166]
55   102 ms   101 ms   106 ms  00 [206.214.251.169]
56   106 ms   105 ms   104 ms  I [206.214.251.174]
57   102 ms   123 ms   105 ms  By.Ryan.Werber [206.214.251.177]
58   117 ms   103 ms   111 ms  When.CCIEs.Get.Bored [206.214.251.182]
59   107 ms   103 ms   105 ms  read.more.at.beaglenetworks.net [206.214.251.185]
60   105 ms   122 ms   101 ms  FIN [216.81.59.173]

Trace complete.
post #44 of 424

How to drive a conservative crazy - criticize the living fuck out of Obama, but keep reinforcing it with the "JUST LIKE GWB" qualifier. 

post #45 of 424

General Cool Shit:

 

The fact that spring has sprung.  Spent all weekend in the garden.  Slightly sunburnt but it was mint nonetheless.

 

Technical Cool Shit:

 

PowerShell.  Holy crap.  Just started getting into this to automate stuff, like bulk user creation etc.  Even better M$ makes it easy for you now by showing you the PowerShell stuff it does in the background.  So you do what you need to do for one manually, then copy what they've done and create a bulk file.  HOURS of work saved allowing me to come here and blather on :)

post #46 of 424
For any Book of the New Sun/Adventure Time fans



post #47 of 424

Wife is done with chemo. Woo hoo! Considering this was our 2nd time out dealing with this shit, hopefully she is done FO-EVAHR.

post #48 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martianman View Post
 

Wife is done with chemo. Woo hoo! Considering this was our 2nd time out dealing with this shit, hopefully she is done FO-EVAHR.

Congratulations!  I'm so happy for the two of you!

post #49 of 424
The fact I have things like this lurking in my garden

post #50 of 424

 


It's a French moped from the late 1970's which I photographed in downtown LA recently.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Chewers Catch-All