CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › The Franchises › DC Cinematic Universe Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion - Page 49

post #2401 of 3698
It was only a few months after Age of Ultron that Disney permanently took control of Marvel Studios from Ike Perlmutter and handed it to Kevin Feige.

Perlmutter was super cheap and controlling. The Creative Committee, which is also no more, had a lot of input as well.

It's no surprise why directors like Taika Waititi and Ryan Coogler are making movies in Phase 3. It's a better environment.
post #2402 of 3698

I forgot about Perlmutter. Yeah, I'd wager he had a lot to do with Whedon's discontent and Ultron's awkwardness.

post #2403 of 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post
 

I also personally, after Hugo Schwyzer, Kyle Payne, and countless other self-identified capital M, capital F, Male Feminists who have been accused or convicted of sexual assault, I am very suspicious of anyone who chooses to wield that label quite as visibly as Whedon. 

 

Michael, I agree. My problem with Whedon is he doesn't seem to have ever really grappled with the contradictions and problems in his work. Like, he's never offered a solid defense for killing Tara. 

 

Boone, you do realize that you've assumed that very role here on CHUD, right?


Edited by Cylon Baby - 3/30/17 at 4:37pm
post #2404 of 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

Boone, you do realize that you've assumed that very role here on CHUD, right?

I'm a participant in the Woke Olympics too, but this is too damn good.
post #2405 of 3698
Somebody check that guy's basement for dead hookers.
post #2406 of 3698

 As one of those annoying Joss Whedon fans, him writing and directing a Batgirl movie does make me interested in said movie. I'm not 100 percent sold on it. First off, I still haven't seen a good Murderverse movie yet. After whatever happened on AOU, I would think that Whedon would get complete creative control in writing, but that doesn't mean that DC still couldn't screw him over. I believe that is what happened with Ayer on Suicide Squad.

 

 I would post my thoughts on Tara's death but it wouldn't be as good as what Schwartz wrote. Ok I do have some thoughts. The theme of the season was that it was the darkest time in the lives of Buffy and the Scooby gang, and Tara being murdered and Willow's quest for vengeance made things go from bad to worse. I do think that Dark Willow gave Hannigan the best material she ever had on the show. That said at the end everybody had gotten though the worst time of their lives and may have been better for it. Season 6 isn't one of the better seasons; the show went too far with making the characters miserable. I still think Xander leaving Anya at the altar was a bridge too far. That said the finale is still excellent.

 

 I know its already been said, but Black Widow didn't say she was a monster because she couldn't have kids, she thought she was one because she was raised to be a killer and nothing more.

post #2407 of 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post
 

 

This also bugs the crap out of me, too, as it is very clearly an Elseworlds comic that's gotten folded into the main continuity. 

 

Schwartz, I see your points - I disagree with them - but I'm going to take some time and respond to them later, rather than fire a post at the end of the day. But I appreciate anyone - everyone - willing to engage on this. 

 

I think I'll start another thread specifically about some of this stuff, because I find it interesting and perplexing at once.

post #2408 of 3698
I'm calling it now, Whedons Batgirl never happens....

DC/Warner will start trying to shoehorn in Plastic Man or some shit and Whedon will walk.
post #2409 of 3698

She'll become a one scene joke in The Batman where Batfleck purposefully drives over her in the Batmobile and laughs to himself. 

post #2410 of 3698
I feel like Whedon of all people could make a scene with Plas work, like maybe Batgirl knows his kid or something.
post #2411 of 3698
The more I think about this the more it's annoying me because the eventual compromised product prevents us from getting another Cabin in the Woods, Serenity, Dollhouse, or even that World War 2 original horror movie or another Shakespeare adaptation from Whedon
post #2412 of 3698
Much Ado About Nothing came out the same year as The Avengers. The man stays busy.
post #2413 of 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post

Much Ado About Nothing came out the same year as The Avengers. The man stays busy.

 

Yep.

 

Also: MAAN is great. Really, really great. I think I still prefer the Branagh version over it, but there's no real need to choose. Both are delightful and excellently done.

post #2414 of 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post
 

 

Boone, you do realize that you've assumed that very role here on CHUD, right?

 

Yes. I don't entirely lack self-awareness, and I admit that here, I am a bit more vocal about these kinds of social/activist issues than I am in other places in my life, where I do my best to listen and absorb, rather than dominate the discussion. A lot of what I do here at my most annoying is offer a counterpoint to some of the prevailing wisdom. If that role here gets translated as "male feminism," fine, sure, whatever. 

 

However, I do think there's a difference between what I've described above and the vocal, identified, specific adoption of the label Male Feminist by some of the people listed above - people who in turn prove to have adopted that label to compensate for some pretty big personal failings. Remember that SNL sketch about this? That's what I'm talking about. 

 

This is an entirely different discussion - back on topic. I thought this article from Pajiba summed up my skepticism about Whedon and Batgirl pretty well. 

 

Quote:

But it’s being written, directed, and produced by Joss Whedon, whose quippy style is perfect for Barbara Gordon (imagine if Buffy and Willow raised a child together and that’s basically Babs)! Good! Except sometimes, Whedon makes mistakes that are not to his fandom’s liking (Age Of Ultron, season seven of Buffy, the lack of Asian representation in FireflyDollhouse) and writes a very particular type of brutalized female survivor (Black Widow in Age Of Ultron, River Tam in FireflyDollhouse) that might make some Babs fans nervous given her character’s history… maybe not bad but very disconcerting!

But between this and the Gotham City Sirens movie, Warner Brothers is willing to greenlight more superheroine movies without worrying about the success of Wonder Woman, which means maybe they’ve finally learned that female characters can be viable, bankable movie leads! Extremely good! But except for Wonder Woman, they haven’t given any female directors opportunities to direct those films! So very disappointingly bad!

But… we’re that much closer to a a Bat family! A real honest-to-god Bat family! GOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!

Guys. I don’t know. I’m so excited and I’m so scared. If you mess this up, Warner Brothers, you are all dead to me for the rest of time.

 


http://www.pajiba.com/dc_movies/joss-whedon-is-directing-a-batgirl-movie.php

post #2415 of 3698
Arnold flapping his gums about playing a Batman villain again. Get him as the Riddler I say. Or Poison Ivy, just thirsty for that ginger Arnie!

Or old washed up Bane or some shit w/e.
post #2416 of 3698
Hugo Strange!
post #2417 of 3698

The current predictions have Wonder Woman as the lowest opening DCU movie.

 

You know what? Despite my issues with the DCU, I think it's a shame. Not only because the trailers have been fairly strong but because Hollywood is stupid. If it doesn't hit $100m, Hollywood won't assume it's because of the taint of the other DCU movies or because WW is less well-known than Batman or Superman - they'll assume it's because it's a female-led superhero movie. You know they will. 


Edited by MrSaxon - 4/11/17 at 2:14pm
post #2418 of 3698

Well, estimating box office numbers anything more than two to maybe three weeks out is basically throwing darts at a wall. But I guess we'll see. I don't think even presales have started yet.

post #2419 of 3698
Doctor Strange just made $83 Million opening?

Logan made $85 Million?

So $83 Million isn't a bad opening. It's actually a safe bet. So this is basically non news.

Like Dent said, it's too far out to predict.

Of course WB will view this as some kind of internal disaster and will probably react poorly to this "prediction" by making changes.
post #2420 of 3698
Certain factors are probably taken in to consideration:

Dr. Strange is a relatively unknown superhero outside the realm of geekdom/collectors

Logan was a February opened, hard R, non-comic in visual nature (albeit with an established character but hard R nonetheless).

If your sister attempts to lift a fridge by herself, your grandmother might quip

"Who do you think you are Wonder Woman?"

She's had a live action show, countless cartoons, appearances on lunchboxes, t-shirts, and of course comics for over 50 years. And, now recently, the appearance in a film regarded in somewhat polarizing circles.

Lots of pressure.
post #2421 of 3698
Right. But Doctor Strange was the 14th movie in a franchise that holds a lot of good will.

Logan was a Wolverine movie, a character probably 5th after Batman, Superman, Spider-Man and Wonder Woman in popularity, and was the end of that version of the franchise as we know it.

Despite speaking a lot of ill about this movie in this thread, I still think a $83 million opening is a fair number.
post #2422 of 3698
I'll probably see "Wonder Woman."
post #2423 of 3698
I'll wait til Lifetime airs it.
post #2424 of 3698

I think WB should definitely worry about Justice League's box office, in comparison.

 

It opens on November 17th and has the weekend to itself (That Thor: Ragnarok could still be taking a small chunk from).

 

But not even a full week later is Disney's new Pixar movie, Coco, which will be released on November 22nd, right at peak Thanksgiving holiday timing.

post #2425 of 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

The current predictions have Wonder Woman as the lowest opening DCU movie.

 

You know what? Despite my issues with the DCU, I think it's a shame. Not only because the trailers have been fairly strong but because Hollywood is stupid. If it doesn't hit $100m, Hollywood won't assume it's because of the taint of the other DCU movies or because WW is less well-known than Batman or Superman - they'll assume it's because it's a female-led superhero movie. You know they will. 

 

 

This might be crazy, but I think setting the movie in World War I was a mistake. That wasn't a "good" war like World War II. 

 

It's associated with trench warfare, millions of people being killed senselessly, and Kaiser Wilhelm doesn't have the same recognition as Hitler and the Nazis. And that's with people who know anything at all about World War I.

post #2426 of 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post
 

 

 

This might be crazy, but I think setting the movie in World War I was a mistake. That wasn't a "good" war like World War II. 

 

It's associated with trench warfare, millions of people being killed senselessly, and Kaiser Wilhelm doesn't have the same recognition as Hitler and the Nazis. And that's with people who know anything at all about World War I.

 

True, but the DCU isn't a "good" movie series...

post #2427 of 3698
DCU doesn't even deserve a war, give'm the Korea conflict and make it for TV.
post #2428 of 3698
Korea conflict?

I can't believe that a film in a franchise hated on constantly, starring a women, featuring a character who hasn't graced pop culture in 40 years isn't going to break records.
post #2429 of 3698
Not the current conflict, the one from 50-53.
post #2430 of 3698
I think, since the villain in "Wonder Woman" is Ares, her enemy is basically war itself. And that's a bit more fitting for WWI's senselessness than it is for a "good" war.

I'd be really surprised if WW does poorly... unless it's straight up unwatchable. And that would suck since I actually plan on buying a ticket for this one.
post #2431 of 3698
If Wonder Woman was set during the Korean War we would have the "Where's Hawkeye???" complaints all over again.
post #2432 of 3698
(golf clap)
post #2433 of 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post
 

 

 

This might be crazy, but I think setting the movie in World War I was a mistake. That wasn't a "good" war like World War II. 

 

It's associated with trench warfare, millions of people being killed senselessly, and Kaiser Wilhelm doesn't have the same recognition as Hitler and the Nazis. And that's with people who know anything at all about World War I.


Setting it in WW I makes sense to me because Diana would have a good reason to stay away from the world after seeing so much senseless killing.

post #2434 of 3698

I expect a full origin story to Diana's half-century of living as an antiques dealer.

post #2435 of 3698

Hopefully we'll see her hook up with a rogue English antique dealer during the 80's, allowing Ian McShane to provide us with a Wonder Woman / Lovejoy cross-over.

 

Only 5% of the people reading this post will know what I'm talking about, and only 0.5% of that 5% will find it as amusing as I do. Still, if it means I get to post this wonderful publicity still from the show of Ian McShane trying to look tough whilst holding a vase, it was definitely worth it.

 

post #2436 of 3698

post #2437 of 3698
Wonder Woman, trained in ancient Themyscira to kill people with swords and Zeus' magical gauntlets is forced to travel to not quite as ancient Europe when World War I comes to the shores of her home. Then she will kill people with swords and Zeus' gauntlets because it's more honourable. Or something.
post #2438 of 3698
So AQUAMAN just cast their King Nereus.

Dolph fucking Lundgren.
post #2439 of 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by catartik View Post

Wonder Woman, trained in ancient Themyscira to kill people with swords and Zeus' magical gauntlets is forced to travel to not quite as ancient Europe when World War I comes to the shores of her home. Then she will kill people with swords and Zeus' gauntlets because it's more honourable. Or something.

Nah she will use her sword to knock them out, the way swords are supposed to be used.

post #2440 of 3698

This new poster exposes the League's greatest weakness. They can only look in one direction at a time!

 

1oef5wh_large.jpg 

post #2441 of 3698

I still can't believe how shitty Cyborg looks. So fucking dumb.

post #2442 of 3698
Hmm. It used to be "Unite the Seven." Still keeping the Martian under wraps?
post #2443 of 3698
And DCU head Johns really wants a Lantern film, of any kind, going.
post #2444 of 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Slim View Post

Hmm. It used to be "Unite the Seven." Still keeping the Martian under wraps?

 

Yeah. I've been wondering about that. Was the "Seven" the "seven seas" (which seems unlikely but it was Aquaman in those posters)? Or are they still intent in bringing in Green Lantern?

 

(I'm still wondering if a team has Supes and GL, why the fuck would they need anyone else?)

post #2445 of 3698

I'm pretty sure the Green Lantern is going to be an after-credits "easter egg". 

post #2446 of 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 

I still can't believe how shitty Cyborg looks. So fucking dumb.


The fucking worst character ever in the history of fiction.

post #2447 of 3698
Hey!

... he's good on the teen Titans cartoon. He's a sort of interesting character. Stop hating on black robocop you... you robo racist!!!
post #2448 of 3698

Lame.

post #2449 of 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
 


Setting it in WW I makes sense to me because Diana would have a good reason to stay away from the world after seeing so much senseless killing.

 

Oh yeah I see the reasoning storywise, I just don't know that it will get asses in seats marketing wise. 

post #2450 of 3698

So shitty.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Franchises
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › The Franchises › DC Cinematic Universe Discussion