CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › Game of Thrones season 5 - Show Discussion Only
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Game of Thrones season 5 - Show Discussion Only

post #1 of 3724
Thread Starter 
Teaser's up. Please God let Arya, Sir Jorah and Tyrie meet up. I can't wait.
post #2 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

Teaser's up. Please God let Arya, Sir Jorah and Tyrie meet up. I can't wait.

Cool, don't post it or anything.

post #3 of 3724
If we're talking about the same eleven seconds, I watched it, got nothing off of it. Still excited of course.
post #4 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

If we're talking about the same eleven seconds, I watched it, got nothing off of it. Still excited of course.

True.

post #5 of 3724
I mentioned this in the Season 4 thread, and I'm not sure how viable this is, but if we *trust each other well enough*, should we get in on a dead pool for S5? I freely admit that I wouldn't know where to start, because they fucking cleaned house these past two seasons.
post #6 of 3724
I don't even trust myself well enough.
post #7 of 3724
I'm far from unsullied, and I would recommend against such a thing. You're practically daring people to spoil you.
post #8 of 3724
I suppose. I just thought it could be fun.
post #9 of 3724
Depending on where things end up, that idea actually might work next season.
post #10 of 3724

What's this eleven seconds of footage mentioned previously?  Have they released something for s5?

post #11 of 3724

http://collider.com/game-of-thrones-season-5-images/

 

About 1:37 in. It's a few close ups of some of the main cast standing in indistinct places/where we last saw them.

 

There's also a glimpse of Ed Harris looking awesome in Westworld.

post #12 of 3724

Epic.

post #13 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

I mentioned this in the Season 4 thread, and I'm not sure how viable this is, but if we *trust each other well enough*, should we get in on a dead pool for S5? I freely admit that I wouldn't know where to start, because they fucking cleaned house these past two seasons.

 

Not in this thread. It will clutter it up and just invites oh-so-clever people who think knowing how a story is going to go makes them smart and want to make amazing "predictions". If you do decide to do something like this, please make another thread for it so that people can easily avoid it.

post #14 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
 

 

Not in this thread. It will clutter it up and just invites oh-so-clever people who think knowing how a story is going to go makes them smart and want to make amazing "predictions". If you do decide to do something like this, please make another thread for it so that people can easily avoid it.


Agree

post #15 of 3724

I hadn't even seen that teaser footage. Cool.

 

They are texting out one-play clips to people; the fansites have transcripts and captured footage. Little glimpses, but fun. Sign up at http://threeeyedraven.com/

 

I have been staying off the fansites because I had two new actors spoiled, even though I'm guessing official promotional footage will reveal these guys long before their episodes air... they are big names, great actors, and I'm super excited to see what they bring.

post #16 of 3724
post #17 of 3724
We did this once before, comparing characters from The Wire to those in GoT, but I think Slate may have nailed it...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/05/30/game_of_thrones_and_the_wire_matching_the_characters_on_each_show_to_their.html
post #18 of 3724

A single shot from Season 5 at 0:34 of this IMAX trailer.

 

post #19 of 3724

It's going to be so straaaaange seeing him somewhere other than King's Landing.

post #20 of 3724
Well, we were introduced to him at Winterfell, and then onto The Wall, and in The Vale. He's been other places, it's just been a long while. What will be interesting is I assume he's not going to be around people who know or give a shit who he is.
post #21 of 3724

It's camcorded (So you might want to wait for the official release)

 

But not bad in 720P.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #22 of 3724

wrong thread!


Edited by machiav - 1/30/15 at 12:10pm
post #23 of 3724

wrong thread!

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90


Edited by machiav - 1/30/15 at 12:15pm
post #24 of 3724

HD Trailer.  Have at it, yea salty dogs.

 

 

Shit looks good.

post #25 of 3724
Sexy. Sounds like Jonathan Pryce in the VO, but I don't think we see him.
post #26 of 3724

As much as I like Bowie's "Heroes", I hate its use here.

post #27 of 3724
Yeah, it doesn't especially fit with anything going on. I'm trying to think what song of his would have been better. Maybe The Man Who Sold The World or a cut off of the more obscure Outside, but not Heroes. Actually, it might have been interesting if they went with Helden, his German version off of Christiane F., but then everyone would wonder what the fuck was the point.
post #28 of 3724

pumped. PUMPED. So many old, beloved characters. So much new stuff. The stills they also released... they've got some personal favorite actors entering the series. PUMPED MOTHERFUCKERS! 

post #29 of 3724

Honestly, that is not a very good trailer.

post #30 of 3724

Honestly, I don't think I've liked a single Game of Thrones trailer, and its mostly due to their song choice. And also their decision to fill their trailers with the most generic dialogue ever.

 

"I wonder...if this is the PRICE....for our SINS."

 

ugh, fuck YOU.

post #31 of 3724

Honestly, I could hammer nails through bricks with my cock right now, I'm so excited.

post #32 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceL View Post

Honestly, I could hammer nails through bricks with my cock right now, I'm so excited.

I know that feeling, but trust me ... you shouldn't try it.
post #33 of 3724

In tangentially related news, Hafthor Bjornsson (Gregor Clegane) broke a 1000 year old Viking record that may have just been a legend.

 

Quote:
 "Game of Thrones" actor Hafthor Bjornsson recently broke a 1,000 year-old Viking record for strength by carrying a 32-foot, 1,433 pound log for five steps at The World’s Strongest Viking competition in Norway, a regional competition similar to The World’s Strongest Man.
The record that Bjornsson broke comes from the Icelandic legend of viking Orm Storulfsson, who it was said carried the mast of a ship with the same specifications for three steps. In the legend, 50 men had to place the log on Storulfsson’s back and, after the third step, he broke his back and was never the same.
 
 

This guy might very well be able to hammer nails through bricks with his cock.  

post #34 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post
 

In tangentially related news, Hafthor Bjornsson (Gregor Clegane) broke a 1000 year old Viking record that may have just been a legend.

 

This guy might very well be able to hammer nails through bricks with his cock.  

or asplode a man's face with his bare hands.

post #35 of 3724

Or fuck you into paralysis.

post #36 of 3724

 

Applies to the Mountain.

post #37 of 3724
The only GoT podcast that really matters is back in business with something of a Season 5 Preview episode. No you godless heathens, not Cast of Kings, I said the only one that REALLY matters.

That's right ... The Joffrey of Podcasts hath returneth
post #38 of 3724

Really like this poster.

 

post #39 of 3724

I look at that and hope it means that Tyrian will come face to face with Dani/dragons this season, and not that HBO decided to put two random cool images together even though they have nothing to do with what will be on the show. 

 

I am so damn excited for everything that's coming, and its hard to believe its not really all that far off now. I suppose I should be avoiding spoilers and  trailers and etc, but to hell with that.

post #40 of 3724
So HBO Brazil is at this moment playing a full-series marathon of this show.

As some of you may recall, I only got on board with it last year.

I still struggle to get people's utter fascination with it. The first season just ended and it just strikes me as being such a heavy handed attempt to be "hard", what with all the gratuitous sex (and seriously, so much of it in the first season is SO needless) and overt violence.

It did sort of tone itself down eventually, but I still feel I'm not loving this as much as I ought to. It is IMPECCABLY produced and has some of the best characters AND actors in any visual narrative right now (I can't get on board with Kit Harrington, though he is a very hard worker, and I really wonder what Dany could be in the hands of an actress worthy of the role), but I feel that it is a victim of its own freedom. With more restraint, I think I'd like this more.

I don't even know why exactly I'm posting this. I guess I'm just curious why so many people here whose opinion I value and respect so much love this like they do. Because while I have absolute respect for the talent and craft on display here, I still feel this show holds me at arm's length for some reason.
post #41 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrevellozo View Post

So HBO Brazil is at this moment playing a full-series marathon of this show.

As some of you may recall, I only got on board with it last year.

I still struggle to get people's utter fascination with it. The first season just ended and it just strikes me as being such a heavy handed attempt to be "hard", what with all the gratuitous sex (and seriously, so much of it in the first season is SO needless) and overt violence.

It did sort of tone itself down eventually, but I still feel I'm not loving this as much as I ought to. It is IMPECCABLY produced and has some of the best characters AND actors in any visual narrative right now (I can't get on board with Kit Harrington, though he is a very hard worker, and I really wonder what Dany could be in the hands of an actress worthy of the role), but I feel that it is a victim of its own freedom. With more restraint, I think I'd like this more.

I don't even know why exactly I'm posting this. I guess I'm just curious why so many people here whose opinion I value and respect so much love this like they do. Because while I have absolute respect for the talent and craft on display here, I still feel this show holds me at arm's length for some reason.

Think you kind of answered your own question there, bub.

post #42 of 3724
Maybe. I really wish I could get more into this. Do you think reading the books would change my perception of it?

Also, for true blue fans, are my criticisms valid?
post #43 of 3724

Andre, I agree the typical HBO tits n' blood n' whores elements can be a bit much when you think about it.

 

However, the strength of most of the storylines, the unexpected ways they intersect with each other, the numerous characters that rank among the best on TV...all of that easily puts it in the top 5 shows on right now. For me, it's #1 in the "can't wait to see what happens next" category, in a way I haven't felt since back when Lost was good.

 

It just keeps building and building and building in a really satisfying way, and actually has narrative vision behind the big picture (from the source material), which is so rare that it's basically nonexistent in annual seasonal TV.

 

I'm finishing the 2nd book now, but since we agreed to pretend they don't exist in this thread, I'll keep my comments limited. The 2nd book especially is excellent, but very different in terms of things being shuffled around. There aren't nearly as many bad scenes of people sitting around pontificating about whores, it's more concerned with the overall big picture and how it relates to the history of the realm and it's denizens.

post #44 of 3724
I'm VERY excited for season 5, but I'm much more interested in what will happen in Hannibal or Veep, for example, than this.

My questioning seriously comes from the fact that I simply want to know why people have fallen so hard for this. Most everyone hates fantasy.

Actually, I think it was a convergence of this marathon and a student earlier this week telling me that, while he HATED "The Lord of the Rings", he loves "Game of Thrones".

I'm Genuinely curious as to why this is as big as it is.

And I'm SO HAPPY it is, too!! Genre absolutely deserves to be mainstream.
post #45 of 3724
Also from me being kinda embarrassed that I, a massive movie geek, shamefully admitted to watching season 3 of "House of Cards" in 2 days to my boss, only to have him tell me that he watched ALL of this show within the same time span.

This is a guy who is married, with 2 young daughters, a lot more on his workload than me who never has time to go to a theatre to watch a film. And yet this show made him gorge on it like that.

As a film student, it fascinates me and baffles me in equal measure. Hence my posts.
post #46 of 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrevellozo View Post

I'm VERY excited for season 5, but I'm much more interested in what will happen in Hannibal or Veep, for example, than this.

My questioning seriously comes from the fact that I simply want to know why people have fallen so hard for this. Most everyone hates fantasy.

Actually, I think it was a convergence of this marathon and a student earlier this week telling me that, while he HATED "The Lord of the Rings", he loves "Game of Thrones".

I'm Genuinely curious as to why this is as big as it is.

And I'm SO HAPPY it is, too!! Genre absolutely deserves to be mainstream.

It's as you say: it's the production value + the strength of the actors and writing that really made people (like myself) fall in love with the series. I absolutely don't agree that people hate fantasy--it's more like there isn't that many good examples of it (in a tv or film medium) besides the LOTR trilogy. 

post #47 of 3724
I really appreciate you engaging with me over all this. Most people refuse to discuss my lack of adoration for the show when I say I don't love it.

I Do think that, at least maybe here in Brazil, most people don't like fantasy. My mum's husband, for example, told me he only watched "The Two Towers" with me because I had a fever (which is pretty funny, considering how much he loves me and my mum), and yet he loves this show more than anything because it is "realistic". Actually a lot of people use that word about this show.

I guess I have to place this in the Almodovar-VonTrier-Tarantino drawer of my brain as "great examples of massive talent that just don't speak to me".
post #48 of 3724
Funny that fantasy and Brazil don't mix considering the sheer number of fantasies Ive had that take place there.
post #49 of 3724
One thing that comes to mind when I think about how well this show has managed to engage me is that when I'm thinking of it or talking to friends about it, at some point the phrase "back then" will come out of my or someone else's mouth. That's "back then" as in the "historicity" of Game of Thrones. This is absurd of course because there is no history, there is no back then, but there is the smart decision to pattern the world so closely after Medieval Europe and the commitment to the reality of its own universe.

The show is so very good at this that whenever I see a dragon, or zombie or giant or whatever, I always end up saying to myself "oh, yeah, this is a fantasy show."
post #50 of 3724

Yeah, that seems to be a large part of why most people connect so easily with GoT, it's realistic milieu which makes it more relate-able for people I'm guessing.  Also, the shock value from unexpected deaths and the like helps keep people hooked much like it does with The Walking Dead.  As well as the aforementioned great acting and character work.  All combined gives us the global phenomenon that we see now.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Television
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › Game of Thrones season 5 - Show Discussion Only