CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › Suicide Squad pre-release discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suicide Squad pre-release discussion thread - Page 47

post #2301 of 2785

Oh wow...reviews are trending badly.  What a shock.

post #2302 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoken View Post
 

King Tut or bust.

 

Speaking of faygo, Im amazed that there has never been a comic about the Gathering of the Juggalos taking place in Gotham City.

I mean, the comedy potential is ripe in such a concept...a bunch of idiots in clown paint throwing a celebration in Batman's own city?

Thats gotta end up with Batman awkwardly trying to explain to Comissioner Gordon why he just beat the shit out of hundreds of people.

 

...nerd stench...

 

http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/The_Jokerz

post #2303 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrix View Post
 

 

...nerd stench...

 

http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/The_Jokerz

Yeah, i know.

But i just like the idea of a festival of followers of a some crappy, clown styled music act being crashed by Batman by mistake.

post #2304 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

Oh wow...reviews are trending badly.  What a shock.

 

Let's cut the trailer to the tune of "Another One Bites the Dust" and call it a day, people!

post #2305 of 2785
At least the Zack Snyder-storied WONDER WOMAN will be amazing.

And the Zack Snyder-directed JUSTICE LEAGUE will be amazing.

Those are the next two DCU movies.
post #2306 of 2785

That original Comic-Con tease was so perfect, with the amount of time they had, I honestly can't believe they managed to screw it up so badly.*

 

*(Based off these reviews...)

post #2307 of 2785
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/suicide-squad-film-review-915825

Suicide Squad may not quite commit harakiri, but it certainly feels like it’s taken far too many sleeping pills.

Ouch!
post #2308 of 2785
Clearly the critic - bribery department at Disney/Marvel has been working overtime this summer...

I'm actually sorry to hear that this may not be any good. Was looking forward to it. Still going to watch-- maybe if my expectations are in the basement I'll enjoy it.
post #2309 of 2785

not that the Tomatometer is the end-all be-all or the most accurate depiction of a critical consensus--in fact, I kind of hate how much weight fanboys put on the thing, it's a little sad--but I was definitely not expecting this thing to be registering at 33% or whatever after a good chunk of reviews. it's interesting that I keep reading over and over that Will Smith is good in it, and Leto is good, and Robbie is really good, and Davis is really good, and their characters are interesting and... mostly rotten reviews. Like, man, the story and edit seriously must be a major mess.


Edited by wasp - 8/2/16 at 2:48pm
post #2310 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynis View Post

At least the Zack Snyder-storied WONDER WOMAN will be amazing.

And the Zack Snyder-directed JUSTICE LEAGUE will be amazing.

Those are the next two DCU movies.

 

Bradito, quit using an alt! :D

post #2311 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post

Bradito, quit using an alt! biggrin.gif


vBJhzG.gif
post #2312 of 2785
Fuck da reviews.

They didn't keep me from seeing BvS....so they won't keep me from seeing this.

It's not a crime to like a movie....unless you waste your time trying to convince others that it's great..
post #2313 of 2785

Even most of the meh/bad reviews seem to indicate that it's not a total loss.  Some found it fun in spite of the glaring flaws.  I'm seeing it regardless, though...the wife really wants to see it and I can't deny her anything.

post #2314 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Even most of the meh/bad reviews seem to indicate that it's not a total loss.  Some found it fun in spite of the glaring flaws.
That's what I said when the reviews for SPECTRE started rolling in. Now look at me!

Before SPECTRE:
Die%2BAnother%2BDay%2B(5).jpg

After SPECTRE:
zao.jpg

Such is the cruelty of fanboy disappointment!
post #2315 of 2785

This is a disappointment to me. I loved the trailers and had high hopes for this. Still seeing it Thursday night but just going by the plot points I'm taking from the reviews, I'm gonna be let down. 

post #2316 of 2785
I'm going to see it. I'm going to hate it. But I'll find the good things in it and be frustrated that it failed. People in this forum will spend the next few months contorting over backwards to explain to everyone why they liked it and how it's actually a good movie. Rinse and repeat until this DC experiment very quickly runs out of gas.
post #2317 of 2785
Post Internet Phenomenae: Expressing Anticipointment For A Movie You Plan To See Anyway
post #2318 of 2785

Kevin Smith can't get enough!

 

Quote:

 Kevin Smith:
 
"Look who you're asking. Look how I'm dressed, are you serious? You got me for five minutes and you're going to ask that question? No, they need to make more dude. I don't care if they're quote unquote bad or something, the more you see the better it is. Like, make it as, as ubiquitous as the western was in the fifties I say, because what's better than little morality tales. Some of them are going to be wonderful, some may be not as wonderful, but let em make them all. There's no such thing as too many of these things."

 

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1541009/kevin-smith-responds-to-superhero-fatigue-in-hollywood

post #2319 of 2785

I wish the DCEU could have a win. I fully admit that the Marvel films are far better in an overall quality control sense, but the corporate sameness of it all creeps me out. It's as if everyone just decided that McDonalds is the best restaurant in the world and all we should have is McDonalds. Ok maybe Marvel is better than McDonalds. TGI Fridays then. 

post #2320 of 2785
So far DC's filmmaker friendly method has been them giving the kitchen over to people who can't cook.
post #2321 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

So far DC's filmmaker friendly method has been them giving the kitchen over to people who can't cook.

 

What's DC in that metaphor?

 

The restaurant owner who re-edits the food before it reaches the table?

post #2322 of 2785

DCEU is like a Jack in the Box that keeps going through inept management. 

post #2323 of 2785

Just saw this petition started by DC fans to shut down Rotten Tomatoes:

 

http://www.screengeek.net/2016/08/02/dc-fans-start-petition-to-shut-down-rotten-tomatoes/

 

It has more signatures than I thought it would...

post #2324 of 2785
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp View Post
 

not that the Tomatometer is the end-all be-all or the most accurate depiction of a critical consensus--in fact, I kind of hate how much weight fanboys put on the thing, it's a little sad--but I was definitely not expecting this thing to be registering at 33% or whatever after a good chunk of reviews. it's interesting that I keep reading over and over that Will Smith is good in it, and Leto is good, and Robbie is really good, and Davis is really good, and their characters are interesting and... mostly rotten reviews. Like, man, the story and edit seriously must be a major mess.

 

Rotten Tomatoes also shows the average score out of 10, but not as much attention is drawn to that on the site as opposed to the big green splat icon.

post #2325 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Just saw this petition started by DC fans to shut down Rotten Tomatoes:

http://www.screengeek.net/2016/08/02/dc-fans-start-petition-to-shut-down-rotten-tomatoes/

It has more signatures than I thought it would...

Stuff like that will never not be funny.
post #2326 of 2785
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
 

Just saw this petition started by DC fans to shut down Rotten Tomatoes:

 

http://www.screengeek.net/2016/08/02/dc-fans-start-petition-to-shut-down-rotten-tomatoes/

 

It has more signatures than I thought it would...

 

I am not shocked.

 

Considering 1200 people went on IMDB, before it was possibly seen by 1200 people with IMDB accounts, and gave the movie a 10/10 rating to somehow try to convince other people that it's good.  

post #2327 of 2785
Why are DC fans so up in arms over negative reviews? What matters is whether or not you like it.

Reviews only matter when you agree with them.
post #2328 of 2785
What the hell happened to THIS one??

Just a thought, but could maybe the people who put together the DC trailers be put in complete charge of one of these projects? They sure know how to create a damned good movie in the space of two minutes. The Suicide Squad trailers were fantastic. Even my 64 year-old mother wanted to see it.
post #2329 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenomad View Post

What the hell happened to THIS one??

Just a thought, but could maybe the people who put together the DC trailers be put in complete charge of one of these projects? They sure know how to create a damned good movie in the space of two minutes. The Suicide Squad trailers were fantastic. Even my 64 year-old mother wanted to see it.

No kidding. The movie looked amazingly fun in those trailers.

I'm really shocked. So much a part of me wants to believe Marvel gave out paychecks to these reviewers just because of how crazy it all seems.
post #2330 of 2785
Thread Starter 
I'm hearing a lot of talk of what popular, older songs are used in the movie like Sympathy for the Devil, Unfortunate Son, Spirit in the Sky, and Bohemian Rhapsody.
 
Those are all greats songs, but it's clearly an attempt to ape what James Gunn was trying to do with the music in GotG.
 
The major difference is Gunn used a lot of deep tracks.  Rather than the obvious hits. He wasn't trying to copy anyone, but inject his movie with his favourite music.  It's pretty telling what the difference is.
post #2331 of 2785
If they're all good songs, what does it matter?
post #2332 of 2785
This soundtrack is brought to you by other movie soundtracks.

Fuck, throw in "All Star" by Smashmouth while you're at it.
post #2333 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

If they're all good songs, what does it matter?
It matters because it's the difference between cloying "hip" pretension and genuine enthusiasm. Which would likely be reflected in other aspects of the movie.

Besides, weren't they using somebody's cover of "Bohemian Rhapsody" or something? Or is that just for end-credits shittiness, like when Watchmen dropped some shitty punk-lite cover of "Desolation Row" over the end credits?
post #2334 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

If they're all good songs, what does it matter?

Ayers also used a song on the GOTG soundtrack "Spirit in the Sky".
post #2335 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

This soundtrack is brought to you by other movie soundtracks.

Fuck, throw in "All Star" by Smashmouth while you're at it.

 

post #2336 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
 

 

What's DC in that metaphor?

 

The restaurant owner who re-edits the food before it reaches the table?

That's kind of assuming the chef was wronged by management.  Until you realize the Chef made Sabotage and sucks to begin with.

post #2337 of 2785
I hope "Sweet Home Alabama" plays over the end credits.
post #2338 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

I hope "Sweet Home Alabama" plays over the end credits.

 

Will "Fortunate Son" do?

post #2339 of 2785

This one would be perfect:

 

Covered by Nickelback, naturally. God, this song is still terrible after all these years.

post #2340 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post
 

This one would be perfect:

 

Covered by Nickelback, naturally. God, this song is still terrible after all these years.

 

I like it.

post #2341 of 2785
Will Smith should sing the end credits song. WHY DID THIS STOP HAPPENING?!
post #2342 of 2785

It went up to 38 percent! :)

 

Then it fell back down to 35 again :(

post #2343 of 2785

I'm going to see this movie so hard, I'll end up forming an opinion on it after I leave the theater.

 

That's how we Old Millenials roll.

post #2344 of 2785

Yes yes, you're unbiased and completely subjective and you refuse to have any opinion whatsoever until after the movie.  Blah blah good for you.  

 

Here's a cookie.  

post #2345 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
 

That's how we Old Millenials roll.

 

Represent!

 

Honestly, the horrible reviews for BvS didn't stop me enjoying the hell out of that. I'm sure they ain't going to, here.

post #2346 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Why are DC fans so up in arms over negative reviews? What matters is whether or not you like it.

Reviews only matter when you agree with them.

This reaction is applicable to anything. Sports teams, politicians, etc.

If you believe in the value of something, you're probably going to take exception to people trashing it. I'm usually good about debating someone when they rag on something I feel has worth, but even I have my moments. Following David Bowie's death, someone on this board was dismissive of his work and I just about lost my shit. That happened because I grew up listening to him and his output had a profound artistic and personal influence on me.

I say that because on a certain level, I'm introspective enough that I can *kind of* feel where these enraged fanboys are coming from. They're invested.

One of the, I hope, many things that separates me from them is that my status as a grown fucking man comes first and I'm not about to expend that kind of energy going to iWar over a fucking cartoon movie.
post #2347 of 2785

Comic book movie.  But yes.  

post #2348 of 2785

Rolling Stone's review is harsh.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/suicide-squad-movie-review-w432204

I already bought my ticket for a Thursday night showing, so the bad reviews aren't stopping me from making up my own mind.

post #2349 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post

Represent!

Honestly, the horrible reviews for BvS didn't stop me enjoying the hell out of that. I'm sure they ain't going to, here.
Preach.
post #2350 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Comic book movie.  But yes.  

Is this formalism meant as a corrective or something?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › Suicide Squad pre-release discussion thread