CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › Suicide Squad pre-release discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suicide Squad pre-release discussion thread - Page 50

post #2451 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

ASM2 is the best!

Thats why you're the Cool Guy, and we are the dweebs.

post #2452 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 

The action in BvS is far superior to anything in AOU, the Hulk/Stark fight maybe excepted. 

 

I mean, both films are mostly just messes of pixels when it comes to action. But Snyder is easily and clearly a far better visualist and action choreographer than Wheaton.

 

The set up or emotional build up to the title fight in BvS may not work, but the fight itself, as a pure action sequence, is pretty fucking great. Geography is established and consistent. Movements are clear and easily followed. Camera motion and angles are interesting and expertly done. And we feel a lot of the punches and impacts.

 

 

Yeah I'm surprised anyone would think the AoU scenes are good and that includes the Hulk fight.

 

I don't think anything Marvel or DC have done even comes close to the warehouse raid in BvS in my book. The one recent superhero action scene I think might compare is the Deadpool highway fight which ironically was a Marvel movie not done by Marvel. I guess people can argue that AoU or what have you had better scenes because of the character interactions but honestly, I don't get that either. Though maybe that part is just me. I done feel particularly invested in any these characters, so it's not like I'm watching the Tony/Hulk fight while gritting my teeth because Tony might get hurt. I judge the scenes on a purely technical level and in that alone, Snyder is greatly superior. The man can shoot the shit out of a scene.

post #2453 of 2785
Yes yes, because as we've already established action isn't about characters. It's for robot people who enjoy choreography to look at.

*rolls eyes*

Team "Snyder is a better action director than anything Marvel has produced" is going to have to find a stronger argument than that sauce, as it is weak.
post #2454 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoken View Post
 

I think it would work like a charm, because:

 

-Zemo is already established a soldier and strategic mastermind that would definitely jump at the chance to take down superpowered threats, and even plan his own escape/masterplan while seemingly under control of General Ross. (plus, him having to act undercover would be a good reason to have him in costume).

-Marvel has proven they can introduce new characters and make them resonate/matter to audiences (GOTG comes to mind) in just one film.

-There are plenty of great characters from the comics and MCU to use: Abomination, Justin Hammer (just make him Spy Master), Ghost*, Atlas, Mach V, Radioactive Man, Songbird, Moonstone and so on. Hell, they could strike a deal with Sony and use the Flash Thompson version of Venom.

 

*Hell, I would love to see Ghost onscreen, specially his current version; the design is great and his whole motivation of being a corporate saboteur/hacker with super powers and anti-corporation paranoia would be amazing. Super powered Mr Robot, so to speak.

 

 

This also gives Marvel a chance to "repair" the most lacking aspects of their films and that's the villains.

post #2455 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoken View Post
 

I would never say that any of the action in a marvel film rivals something truly amazing and unique as Fury Road or The Raid, but in terms of their genre and the overal blockbuster quality?

No way they are mediocre or bad, at all.

I think that the only action sequence in a superhero film thats not in a Marvel movie is Spider-Man's 2 clock tower/train fight, and thats all on Raimi.

But Civil War's Budapest chase, Airport battle and Bunker Finale? All of them handle their action, characters and transitioning between sequences pretty damn well.

Miles ahead of BvS or MoS, or any Michale Bay CG/explosion nonsense.

Hell, I absolutely love the final Cap/Bucky/Iron Man fight, mainly because of how it starts big, and with each action beat scales down to the point that it ends up with Tony and Steve just fighting hand to hand.

It absolutely works in terms of the movie's set up and character building, so its a great sequence, even if it follows the Marvel comic book styled action.

 

Hell, I hope Derickson actually lives up to the Inception like vibe Dr Strange's trailer promises; superhero action with magic altering reality and perception?

That would be unique.

Ya know I was watching Blade last night and I forgot just how good that simplistic straightforward action can be. Like really it was exhilarating. If he was allowed to direct a Marvel film........

post #2456 of 2785
Thread Starter 

That Batman vs. Superman battle sucks.  

 

It's dark. It's raining.

 

It's Superman getting shot with sound waves and machine guns.  Then he throws Batman on a building.  Then it's followed by the bathroom fight in T3: Rise of the Machines.  And then Martha.

 

That Hulk vs. Iron Man fight in AoU is superior in every single way.

post #2457 of 2785
If Blade was?
post #2458 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Yes yes, because as we've already established action isn't about characters. It's for robot people who enjoy choreography to look at.

*rolls eyes*

Team "Snyder is a better action director than anything Marvel has produced" is going to have to find a stronger argument than that sauce, as it is weak.

 

I was plain in what I said. Action is partly about character, I just don't find the Marvel characters to be any more compelling than the ones in DC films. The Whedonesque snark keeps me at arms length.

 

And yes, of course choreography, shooting and editing is a HUGE factor, how is that even an argument?

post #2459 of 2785
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post
 

 

I don't think anything Marvel or DC have done even comes close to the warehouse raid in BvS in my book. 

 

First of all, the opening boat scene in the Winter Soldier is better staged and executed than that warehouse scene. They made Captain America such a badass immediately in that movie.

 

And secondly, again from the Winter Solider, the causeway scene is better than anything in Man of Steel or BvS.

post #2460 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by catartik View Post
 

 

First of all, the opening boat scene in the Winter Soldier is better staged and executed than that warehouse scene.

 

And secondly, again from the Winter Solider, the causeway scene is better than anything in Man of Steel or BvS.


Look we're just arguing taste here and can go on all day but nope and nope.

post #2461 of 2785

Hell, I'll take the elevator scene in The Winter Soldier over the warehouse scene in Batman v. Superman. If only for the fact that the tension build up and payoff is great, the fight feels hard-hitting in a way that isn't over the top and nearly comical like the warehouse scene.

post #2462 of 2785
Funny how we're talking about the warehouse scene positively and nothing else.
post #2463 of 2785
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post
 

Ya know I was watching Blade last night and I forgot just how good that simplistic straightforward action can be. Like really it was exhilarating. If he was allowed to direct a Marvel film........

 

I completely agree.  Blade pre-dated the Matrix and I don't think anything Hollywood produced, choreography wise, was anything close to what they accomplished in Blade at that point.

 

And then Norrington made LXG...

post #2464 of 2785
Well, he got the extraordinary part right.
post #2465 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Funny how we're talking about the warehouse scene positively and nothing else.

 

The Doomsday scene isn't very good. In terms of pure CG battles though, I think the final MoS battle is phenomenal. But it just gets to be so fucking much after a while.

post #2466 of 2785
That was man of steels problem in both major action scenes. He blew me away and didn't know when to quit while he was ahead. They go and on.
post #2467 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by catartik View Post

First of all, the opening boat scene in the Winter Soldier is better staged and executed than that warehouse scene. They made Captain America such a badass immediately in that movie.

And secondly, again from the Winter Solider, the causeway scene is better than anything in Man of Steel or BvS.

110% agreed. I'd take TWS action scenes over anything in MOS and BVS.
post #2468 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger Management View Post

110% agreed. I'd take TWS action scenes over anything in MOS and BVS.
I'll take none of the above, please.
post #2469 of 2785

That one scene in Winter Solider where Captain America stares blankly off into space is better than anything in BvS!

post #2470 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

I'll take none of the above, please.

 

 

post #2471 of 2785
https://twitter.com/nickdesemlyen/status/760906800690503680

When you're from the streets you still apologise for yelling "fuck Marvel" though.
post #2472 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

I guess I just don't understand why heavily pre visualized action is bad in your eyes? You say it lacks passion or vision, that it "feels" cold. Agree to disagree, that just strikes me as saying film is better than digital because of unmeasurable qualities. For me Tony's CG suit fending off a fairly real looking giant green monster isn't less thrilling than people trading not real blows, or not really shooting each other in the face because of texture quality. Jurassic Park doesn't fail to thrill me and fill me with wonder because spielberg carefully planned and designed the first dinosaur scene around CG instead of somehow building a real 300 foot dinosaur on set.


Jurassic Park was a great mix of techniques. You won't get any debate from me on that.

 

I miss the mix. And I miss the ingenuity that filmmakers used to try very hard at employing to suspend your disbelief. I miss feeling like the director is making most of the choices when it comes to how to most effectively shoot an action scene. But maybe I'm just old skool.

 

I don't think CG is bad in and of itself, I just think it's too much of a crutch or catch-all right now, and I'm not feeling much directorial vision from a lot of current blockbuster action.

post #2473 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunt View Post

https://twitter.com/nickdesemlyen/status/760906800690503680

When you're from the streets you still apologise for yelling "fuck Marvel" though.

 

Definitely someone who wanted to work for Marvel but opted to do this movie instead. Poor bastard.

post #2474 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynis View Post

Nothing in ASM2 trumps the closeup of Electro's tooth gap fixing during his transformation.

The eels perform orthodontic corrections, they fix a diastema!


They make Jamie... Foxxier.

post #2475 of 2785
At the end of the day, all these movies are really quite similar.
post #2476 of 2785

Not quite true. The DC ones make you regret your decision while the Marvel ones are a fun party every couple of months.

post #2477 of 2785
You'd be surprised how many people keep expecting Superman and/or Batman to pop up in an Avengers movie. Then I feel all dorky as hell when I start to try to explain what's keeping Marvel and DCs characters apart for eternity (they just don't get the concept of Marvel is THIS and DC is THAT).

Maybe I'm weird for being able to tell all of these movies easily apart. But I can take any 30 seconds out of any Friday the 13th movie and tell you which one it is also so....maybe I just think about this stuff too much..
post #2478 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp View Post


They make Jamie... Foxxier.

NO FLEEDING
post #2479 of 2785
Does anyone miss fleed? Really?

Didn't think so.
post #2480 of 2785

Where is that guy, anyway? Did he finally get shadow banned?

post #2481 of 2785

Nothing shadowy about it. He was banned for outright racist remarks.

post #2482 of 2785
Well, yeah...except it wasn't all that shadowed..


ETA: ALWAYS late to the punch! But yeah...he kinda dug his own grave..
post #2483 of 2785
He yelled at me once for making fun of the Tea Party.
post #2484 of 2785
Fleed was...odd. Even moreso finding out he's almost 50..
post #2485 of 2785
How the hell did I miss that?!!!

When/where was this?
post #2486 of 2785

When did that happen? I knew Fleed was a bit nutty but I didn't think he was racist nutty!

post #2487 of 2785

2015 CHUD Christmas Party. It was a hoot. Mcnooj got drunk. Stale Elvis did a load of acid in the restroom. 50 year old Duke Fleed made racist remarks and got forcibly ejected by Jacknifejohnny.

 

You should have been there!

post #2488 of 2785
He made a comment about Naomi Harris being a "politically correct" Moneypenny. Johnny even gave him a chance to backtrack on that and explain...which he did....and confirmed that he meant EXACTLY what it sounded like that meant.

I can't remember what thread..
post #2489 of 2785
Wait what? When did this happen?

ETA Nevermind. That's crazy, surely one of the most under the radar bannings/meltdowns of our time.
post #2490 of 2785
post #2491 of 2785
I could (and did) defend his weirdness but there was no defending that..
post #2492 of 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Here.

Well blimey.
post #2493 of 2785

I never saw that coming but I can't say I'm going to miss him or his horrible puns at all.

post #2494 of 2785
I remember getting mad when he said marriage is only between a man and a woman.

So I can't say I'm that surprised.
post #2495 of 2785
As I said, fleed's conservative views have always been around. He just didn't come out with them too often.
post #2496 of 2785
Yep, the use of intra-clause ellipses in conjunction with hurricanes of puns is ruined forever. Even if you put on sunglasses and The Who plays afterward. Ruined like toothbrush moustaches. Fleeded, all Fleeded. Life is fleeding at best.
post #2497 of 2785
Anywho, watching this moobie in an hour and a half!
post #2498 of 2785
Had no idea Fleed was banned.
And over Spectre?
At least it could had been over a superhero movie, as it would had fit his persona.
Well, he had his chance.
post #2499 of 2785
So even "Spectre" haters can at least appreciate that the film finally douched the site of fleed.
post #2500 of 2785
I will still never understand fleeds schtick. Even for a "forum character" it was pretty boring.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › Suicide Squad pre-release discussion thread