CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › The official Black Mirror thread (spoilers!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official Black Mirror thread (spoilers!)

post #1 of 278
Thread Starter 

So this is on Netflix and is a thing now because it is great. You should read nothing about it before watching and watch everything about it before reading.

post #2 of 278

Just watched the first two episodes. Very interesting! Sort of a modern sci-fi British twilight zone. I'm in

post #3 of 278

Sadly, my instant account expired but I caught the first two episodes. Pretty great, bleak, and "oh god, this is all true, isn't it?.."

post #4 of 278

The Entire History of You is excellent. 

post #5 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccc View Post
 

The Entire History of You is excellent. 

 

That was the first time I realized that Toby Kebbell was a pretty good actor, and I was interested to see where his career went. And then he signed on as Doctor Doom is what might eventually become the career-killing new Fantastic Four movie. Oh dear.

 

Piece of trivia: Robert Downey Jnr is turning this episode into a feature film apparently.

post #6 of 278

I wish I could like WHITE BEAR as much as everyone else, but I'm still disappointed that the twist didn't turn out to be that the protagonist was an actual WHITE BEAR the entire time and that's why no one treated her humanely. Last shot, just a bear growling and crying....it's what I wanted to see, damnitt!

post #7 of 278

Saw all the episodes a while back...loved it.  Modern day Twilight Zone.  Can't wait for S3.

post #8 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

 

That was the first time I realized that Toby Kebbell was a pretty good actor, and I was interested to see where his career went. And then he signed on as Doctor Doom is what might eventually become the career-killing new Fantastic Four movie. Oh dear.

 

Piece of trivia: Robert Downey Jnr is turning this episode into a feature film apparently.

 

I've only watched The National Anthem but based on the description of the one Downey has optioned, did no one see The Final Cut with Robin Williams and Jim Caviezel? It sounds like the exact same concept. 

post #9 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

 

Piece of trivia: Robert Downey Jnr is turning this episode into a feature film apparently.

 

Interesting...that ep was the most intriguing to me.

post #10 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccc View Post
 

The Entire History of You is excellent. 

 

"Written by Jesse Armstrong (the co-creator of Peep Show who also wrote for The Thick Of It and scripted Chris Morris’ brilliant satirical film Four Lions),..." (AV Club)

 

Yeah, no wonder.

 

I still think I liked Fifteen Million Merits the most.

post #11 of 278

Fifteen Million Merits is just plain scary in how accurate that future probably is...at least the average person's domicile part. I uh...actually would prefer a job where all you had to do was pedal on an bike, you kidding me? Doesn't even look like they have bosses breathing down their necks about quotas, sign me up for THAT life!

 

Also, the best training montage music ever? Most definitely. I listen to this shit while I work out, makes you feel like you're actually accomplishing something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuJKQyVk7ac

post #12 of 278

trailer for the NEW Black Mirror Christmas special (on dec 16th)

post #13 of 278

Fifteen Million Merits is best because of that incredible soul shattering monologue from Daniel Kaluuya, plus I have never seen reality competitions torn apart like that. God Bless America meant well but didn't do it for me.

 

I have a soft spot for Be Right Back, which has a lot of Starman DNA in it (there are hints of Carpenter throughout the series; Brooker has great taste). Waldo is the "weakest", but even that one is pretty good.

 

Anyone who likes this should try and hunt down Dead Set, Brooker's "zombies invade Big Brother" show from a few years ago. It's not quite a masterpiece like Black Mirror, but still a great showcase for his absurdist/darkly cynical personality.

post #14 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post
 

Fifteen Million Merits is best because of that incredible soul shattering monologue from Daniel Kaluuya, plus I have never seen reality competitions torn apart like that. God Bless America meant well but didn't do it for me.

 

I sometimes wonder if Brooker is making a few self-aware comments about himself with the ending to that episode.  The whole resolution of "this guy is a threat to the machine - make his whole angle PART of the machine!" seems a little self-aware.  Charlie himself is constantly berating TV, the media and so forth, but he knows that at the end of the day, he's simply a part of that entire industry after all.

post #15 of 278
15 Million Merits is, for me, the odd one out. All of the other episodes have a five minutes from now sense of urgency . . . five minutes ago, even. It's great, don't get me wrong, it just lacks that immediacy of the other entries. Still an impressive six for six though.
post #16 of 278

Just watched the first episode last night. I think my wife put it succinctly today when she said, "I can't stop thinking about that dude fucking a pig on national TV."

post #17 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J View Post
 

 

I've only watched The National Anthem but based on the description of the one Downey has optioned, did no one see The Final Cut with Robin Williams and Jim Caviezel? It sounds like the exact same concept. 


It's different because it's not about editing your history or memories.  History is more like if everything in your life recorded you become obessed with going over every detail again and again.  Job interviews, arguments with your girlfriend, etc.  It's basically google glass.

post #18 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccc View Post


... you become obessed with going over every detail again and again ....arguments with your girlfriend, etc. 

That's why Entire History of You is the most uncomfortable for me to watch. It's like watching any argument (internal or external) based on paranoia I've had "well, you said this" or "you looked like this" or "you were behaving like this". I found it almost unbearable to watch, it resonated so hard for me.
post #19 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post


That's why Entire History of You is the most uncomfortable for me to watch. It's like watching any argument (internal or external) based on paranoia I've had "well, you said this" or "you looked like this" or "you were behaving like this". I found it almost unbearable to watch, it resonated so hard for me.

 


What makes it more scary is that is basically where we are at now.  My biggest fear for my kids is having everything recorded once they reach their teen years.  Do one stupid thing and it's on social media.  That terrifies me because I did a ton of stupid shit as a kid and thank god nobody had cell phones with cameras.  

 

Sometimes the memory of something is more powerful then going on your laptop and checking that video or picture from 10 years ago.   What's the point of a memory.

 

And I'm the type of person who would OCD going over my day. 

post #20 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehauk View Post
 

trailer for the NEW Black Mirror Christmas special (on dec 16th)

 

This looks great. I'm so glad that they got Jon Hamm for the Christmas Special. 

post #21 of 278

Just caught the pilot.  Geezus.

 

 

And I mean that in a, "I'm totally intrigued by this show, so I'm in" way.

post #22 of 278

Yeah, "The National Anthem" is great. It tends to get overlooked due to some of the bigger, more science-fictiony based episodes which come later and that's a shame because Rory Kinnear as Prime Minister Callow and the plot itself, which comments not only on the impossibility of hiding something in this age of social media but on the dark depths of human curiosity, makes for a really solid hour of television. 

post #23 of 278

Out of all six episodes, "National Anthem" is the one that just stays with me.   I mean that episiode was like something Chuck Pallahnuk(sp?) would come up with.   Very sick stuff but compelling and bar none the funniest episode of the series so far.   The advisor's monologue while walking down the corridor is hilarious in a very dark way.  

post #24 of 278
Really enjoying this right now.

Just the first two episodes so far.
post #25 of 278

The pilot's actually been the weakest episode for me so far. It's just such a ridiculous concept that I expected them to lean way harder into the black comedy of it. Instead, its all played in this self-serious way that doesn't quite work for me. My favourite so far has been "The Entire History of You" for the exact reasons that Andy found it uncomfortable to watch. It's one of the most accurate pieces of speculative fiction I've ever seen.

post #26 of 278
I really enjoyed how self serious the pilot was.

Made it even funnier.
post #27 of 278
There is no play book.
post #28 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post
 

The pilot's actually been the weakest episode for me so far. It's just such a ridiculous concept that I expected them to lean way harder into the black comedy of it. Instead, its all played in this self-serious way that doesn't quite work for me. My favourite so far has been "The Entire History of You" for the exact reasons that Andy found it uncomfortable to watch. It's one of the most accurate pieces of speculative fiction I've ever seen.

"The Entire History of You" was really good, but "15 Million Merits" is still my favorite. Hope to finish the 2nd season in the next day or two.

post #29 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post
 

The pilot's actually been the weakest episode for me so far. It's just such a ridiculous concept that I expected them to lean way harder into the black comedy of it. Instead, its all played in this self-serious way that doesn't quite work for me. My favourite so far has been "The Entire History of You" for the exact reasons that Andy found it uncomfortable to watch. It's one of the most accurate pieces of speculative fiction I've ever seen.

 

Oh I think they did lean hard into the humor of it but were very dry about it.   I found the whole monologue about making it last as long as possible so it doesn't look like you enjoyed it to be both gut bustingly hilarious and horrific at the same time.   Plus there's a lot of humor to be found in the idea that all of this was in the end an art piece by a Banksy like figure.

post #30 of 278
Oh man Hayley Atwell is heartbreaking.

Hey, look at that weird mirror...
post #31 of 278
Waldo was an odd one. Particularly the end credits.
post #32 of 278
It's also the least emotionally engaging of the series. But coming between the tragedy and sadness of Be Right Back and the angering horror of White Bear, that's kind of OK.

Really interested in your opinion of White Bear, Nooj.
Edited by Turingmachine75 - 12/15/14 at 2:43pm
post #33 of 278
I was so so on most of the episode. Fun reveal though.
post #34 of 278
I felt the same way. I was even disappointed with the . . . rote standardness? . . . of it compared to the other entries. I thought it was a turkey until the audience reveal near the end. Complete 180 after that, it's now the episode that sticks with me the most. For days I couldn't stop raving about it to anyone who would listen.

I think for the gut punch to work as well as it did, the episode needed that "Seen it!" quality it had in the first half. Err, three quarters. Hell, the best parts occurred over the ending credits . . . something all the episodes have in common, actually.
post #35 of 278

Just a quick reminder to UK chewers that the Black Mirror Christmas special airs tonight at 9pm on Channel 4!

post #36 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

Just a quick reminder to UK chewers that the Black Mirror Christmas special airs tonight at 9pm on Channel 4!

A quick reminder to US chewers that are going to pirate this, it usually takes about 3 hours after airing to be put up. However remember that the time differences with the UK and America. 

post #37 of 278

Oh, I just realized that there's a front page article about this. How weird. Doesn't usually happen for UK TV.

post #38 of 278

a clip from Black Mirror Christmas~

post #39 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post
 

A quick reminder to US chewers that are going to pirate this, it usually takes about 3 hours after airing to be put up. However remember that the time differences with the UK and America. 

 

It will also be showing Christmas day on Audience Network (Direct TV) in the US.

post #40 of 278
Sweet. I was worried Audience wouldn't air it until next year.
post #41 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post
 

 

It will also be showing Christmas day on Audience Network (Direct TV) in the US.

Yeah like anyone is going to wait for that.

post #42 of 278

Thought it might be helpful to people who don't use dodgy methods to watch the latest shows. But noted, I'll make sure not to post info like that in future!

post #43 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post
 

Thought it might be helpful to people who don't use dodgy methods to watch the latest shows. But noted, I'll make sure not to post info like that in future!

Thanks man, I mean people don't actually have Directv do they?

post #44 of 278

Still shouldn't take an attitude of "pfft, as if anyone would watch it LEGALLY lol losers". At least TRY to hide the fact that you're stealing content.

 

Having said that, has it aired yet? Where the hell is it? Looking everywhere for it.

post #45 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post
 

Still shouldn't take an attitude of "pfft, as if anyone would watch it LEGALLY lol losers". At least TRY to hide the fact that you're stealing content.

 

Having said that, has it aired yet? Where the hell is it? Looking everywhere for it.

I actually am kidding. I haven't watch any episode of black mirror. 

post #46 of 278

I thought this was fantastic.

 

I found myself continually re-evaluating it as it went on; a result, no doubt, of the previous episodes setting such a high standard. I wasn't sure at first, probably because I'd guessed where that first story was going at quite an early stage which slightly disappointed me, but the introduction of the 'cookie' was where I began to really warm to the episode. It was with the third story and the wrap-around, however, where I became certain that this would rank extremely highly on my list of favorite Black Mirror episodes. The concept of that real world block, stopping you from even seeing photographs of that person, is absolutely terrifying to me.

 

And how great was Jon Hamm? I can't imagine anyone else in that role now, which is a testament to him. 

 

I laughed when I saw that one of the men helping Hamm during the first story had a username referencing Waldo. Wasn't a big fan of that particular episode but I'll have to give it another watch some time.

 

Anyone know when we're getting more episodes of this?

post #47 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by The NZ Natural View Post
 

 

I sometimes wonder if Brooker is making a few self-aware comments about himself with the ending to that episode.  The whole resolution of "this guy is a threat to the machine - make his whole angle PART of the machine!" seems a little self-aware.  Charlie himself is constantly berating TV, the media and so forth, but he knows that at the end of the day, he's simply a part of that entire industry after all.

 

The whole thing's a fifty-fifty between his own self-loathing and his co-writer's (his wife!) experiences working with Simon Cowell on X-Factor or whichever variant of the talent nonsense it was that she worked on for a time. Suffice to say, she did not enjoy it much.

 

The Christmas special was incredible, if more predictable than the rest of the episodes. That whole thing with the cookies was utterly terrifying, Jon Hamm casually eating toast while torturing someone for months at a time, gah.

post #48 of 278

Goddamit. I want to see White Christmas. Now.  

 

 

I've got one more episode (The Waldo Moment) to watch of S2.  These things can be so bleak that it's the most difficult marathon to sit through. White Bear just plain did me in, mentally.  Giving it another day before I watch that last ep. 

 

This series, though, is insanely compelling stuff.  I couldn't turn away from White Bear and the end turned my stomach.  I don't care if that woman (SPOILERS, btw).......deserved it or not - that shit was unsettling; especially the amount of glee there was in the participants. 

 

Be Right Back.  Tragic. Heartbreaking.  Hayley Attwell was a revelation.  Brilliant episode.

post #49 of 278

So White Christmas was suitably bleak, huh?  Really dug it.  Watching Spall and Hamm sit across a table from each other was absolutely captivating.  And although it was a bit more predictable than most stories, as already mentioned, it really didn't matter.  In fact, seeing it coming might have even made it more dreadful.  Red Block.  Fuck, man.

post #50 of 278

I have a feeling this will end up being my favorite Christmas special of the year. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Television
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › The official Black Mirror thread (spoilers!)