CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › The Franchises › STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Thread - Page 3

post #101 of 1062

I'm here. Let the party continue.

post #102 of 1062

It's surprising how this way and that the "spy reports" for this thing are. Seems like the only solid bits if info out there are the concept artwork pieces.

 

Everything else is fan speculation and misinformation running wild.

post #103 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

It's surprising how this way and that the "spy reports" for this thing are. Seems like the only solid bits if info out there are the concept artwork pieces.

Everything else is fan speculation and misinformation running wild.


Sounds like a J.J. Abrams picture to me!
post #104 of 1062
The Kylo Ren thing is fascinating to me. I like the Vader obsession angle, but I also want a completely new villain who's his own gimmick. I hope we get both.
post #105 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

 

Everything else is fan speculation and misinformation running wild.


Just. Like. Khaaaaaaan!

 

I wonder if someone should whisper in Abrams ear and let him know, "Hey, that whole Mystery Box thing. It ain't so mystery."

post #106 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

The Kylo Ren thing is fascinating to me. I like the Vader obsession angle, but I also want a completely new villain who's his own gimmick. I hope we get both.


Han/Leia's son who is a perversion on the idea of Luke.  A guy who was really only interested on becoming a Jedi anyway(initially)as a way to connect to his father.  

 

Kylo Ren seems to be a take on the character of Mordred.

post #107 of 1062

Seriously, can we stop with the spoiler tags in this thread?  We know the first lines appear in thread previews, just put some dummy text there and get on with it.  Otherwise, what's the point of having a redundant SW thread?

post #108 of 1062
People who don't want to be spoiled are fuddy duddies. There, I said it! Who's Kylo Ren, anyway?
post #109 of 1062

People are still dissecting the concept of spoilers?

post #110 of 1062
Didn't you hear? We're all prissy over-sensitive little bitches like TheForce.net patients.
post #111 of 1062
Thread Starter 

The passive-aggressiveness is strong with some people.

post #112 of 1062
Behave. It's fucking bullshit that we had to start a spoiler thread to discuss things like TIE Fighter and X-Wing art because some people didn't want the film ruined. Are there spoiler tags in the Avengers thread because people don't want to know if Captain America is in it?

Only fucking Star Wars could get a bunch of generally level-headed people into such a fucking tizz.
post #113 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

Behave. It's fucking bullshit that we had to start a spoiler thread to discuss things like TIE Fighter and X-Wing art because some people didn't want the film ruined. Are there spoiler tags in the Avengers thread because people don't want to know if Captain America is in it?

 

But doesn't the Avengers already exist in comic form?  There's nothing to spoil (except maybe who dies I suppose).  The problem is, everything about Star Wars from here on out is being made up...it's all pretty much brand new.  Tie Fighters and X-Wings aren't spoilers because they already exist, and anyone bitching about that doesn't understand what a spoiler actually is.  The issue was people discussing major plot points that were out in the open with no regard for those who didn't want to know that information.  Those are obviously spoilers and should be appropriately tagged (it's why the tags exist in the first place), but people weren't doing that.  Hence, this thread.  If you want someone to blame, blame them.

post #114 of 1062

There's a new rumor that the New Republic (or whatever it is) has secretly built a new Death Star, and Leia has to make the choice to use it on an inhabited world, upon which the Remnant Empire has built an ultimate weapon.

 

If it's true (and it's likely not, because what the fuck?), this is my biggest worry with these new films: you have to find a way to top Vader, Emperor Palpatine and the Death Star, or these new films will feel irrelevant. Where do you go once the greatest evil and doomsday weapon in the galaxy are destroyed? How do you create a credible threat for a group of heroes that have already beaten the worst shit imaginable?

post #115 of 1062
SPOILER: JAMAICAN RESTAURANTS NEVER HAVE FOOD

I would love a movie about the Rebels discovering that bringing order to a chaotic galaxy is more complicated than they thought it would be, both logistically and morally.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
There's no way on God's green Earth that Abrams has it in him to deliver a movie that smart, though.

Edited by Reasor - 2/3/15 at 8:22am
post #116 of 1062

I imagine it might get some lip service, but don't expect any kind of substantial exploration of that irony/realization. There are too many mystery boxes to not explain for that kind of shit.

post #117 of 1062

On an unrelated note, the one consistency seems to be that Luke has a big freak-out and isolates himself because he's afraid he's a danger.

 

I wonder if being the only active Force user left in the galaxy had an adverse effect on him. The Force is a living thing, and probably wants to be used. I wonder if Luke is overwhelmed with being the basically the funnel for all that, and that's what causes him to have a massive display of power.

 

Shit, having Luke be the doomsday weapon instead of another stupid Death Star would be way more compelling and interesting.

post #118 of 1062

Now I want to know why Jamaican restaurants never have food.

post #119 of 1062

We could tell you, but it's considered a spoiler.

post #120 of 1062
It could just be the instant onslaught of celebrity that motivates Luke to GTFO. The guy's phone is ringing off the hook with race stereotype aliens wanting him to settle their trade disputes and twi'lek women wanting to have his midichlorian babies.
post #121 of 1062
.

Edited by Agentsands77 - 6/4/16 at 6:00pm
post #122 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

Ugh, such a BS attempt at moral ambiguity. Sounds like the kind of thing we'd see in an Abrams flick, though.

I hope both doomsday weapons are pointed at each other in a giant, galactic Mexican standoff. (While space doves fly in the background.)
post #123 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
 

There's a new rumor that the New Republic (or whatever it is) has secretly built a new Death Star, and Leia has to make the choice to use it on an inhabited world, upon which the Remnant Empire has built an ultimate weapon.

 

If it's true (and it's likely not, because what the fuck?), this is my biggest worry with these new films: you have to find a way to top Vader, Emperor Palpatine and the Death Star, or these new films will feel irrelevant. Where do you go once the greatest evil and doomsday weapon in the galaxy are destroyed? How do you create a credible threat for a group of heroes that have already beaten the worst shit imaginable?

ANOTHER death star?

post #124 of 1062

SPOILERS BECAUSE SPOILER BEAR CAN'T HELP HIMSELF 

 

There, yes?

 

Man, I hope that's not true. We've already done the "Another death star!" in the SW cinematic universe. Time for something new.

post #125 of 1062

.


Edited by Agentsands77 - 6/4/16 at 6:00pm
post #126 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post

ANOTHER death star?

Yes but this time it's called a "Freedom Star."
post #127 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post


Yes but this time it's called a "Freedom Star."

Alright then.

post #128 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post

ANOTHER death star?

Yes but this time it's called a "Freedom Star."

 

....and Dick Cheney makes a special guest appearance as the mystery big bad!

post #129 of 1062

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-stand-alone-movie-768582

 

So...

 

I'm thinking that regardless of which is true (Maslany or Jones), Disneyfilm found out who one of their leaks was this past week.

post #130 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
 

There's a new rumor that the New Republic (or whatever it is) has secretly built a new Death Star, and Leia has to make the choice to use it on an inhabited world, upon which the Remnant Empire has built an ultimate weapon.

 

If it's true (and it's likely not, because what the fuck?), this is my biggest worry with these new films: you have to find a way to top Vader, Emperor Palpatine and the Death Star, or these new films will feel irrelevant. Where do you go once the greatest evil and doomsday weapon in the galaxy are destroyed? How do you create a credible threat for a group of heroes that have already beaten the worst shit imaginable?

 

This part REALLY REALLY bothers me...

 

Quote:
 

And finally – This might come as a shock considering what all the actors have been saying but not everyone is entirely happy with the way the movie is heading. Several people have told me they feel like they are just ‘going over old ground’ with the things they are being asked to work on. The feeling is that The Force Awakens is a rehash of the original movie and doesn’t have enough new ideas in it.

 

The prequels were full of new ideas and concepts but as one person put it to me there’s a ‘lack of imagination’ around The Force Awakens and everything is just a riff on what’s already been done.

 

Sorry to end that on a negative note but that’s a common feeling I’m getting.

 

See, I was afraid of this.  Abrams made the decision to throw out Lucas' notes from the treatment and shove his own ideas in, essentially making his own fanwank Star Wars movie from scratch.

 

Fuck.  

 

Lucas isn't so great with details (dialogue, etc), but he is a genius with broad strokes...and I have a feeling there were some gold nuggets in his treatments that wouldn't make this as much of a rehash...I mean there is always going to be a certain amount of "poetry, it rhymes" going on, but I don't see Lucas as someone who plans out 3 separate trilogies just to go over old ground.

 

My fear is we're getting JJ ABRAMS' STAR WARS EP 7 from top to bottom...and that fills me with dread.  I feel this movie will be chock full of eye roll inducing callbacks and silly retreads.  

post #131 of 1062
.
Edited by Agentsands77 - 6/4/16 at 6:00pm
post #132 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
 

I mean there is always going to be a certain amount of "poetry, it rhymes" going on, but I don't see Lucas as someone who plans out 3 separate trilogies just to go over old ground.

 

Everyone makes fun of the "rhyming" concept but I've always enjoyed it -- the idea that EPISODE I ends with Anakin watching a funeral and EPISODE VI ending with Anakin's funeral, for instance.  Rhyming can be connective tissue between disparate stories.

 

What I hate is tracing, and that's been my biggest worry since it was revealed Abrams chucked Arndt's draft based on Lucas' story in favor of one focusing on the original characters.

post #133 of 1062
I think Lucas using rhyming in Star Wars was more him just rehashing ideas himself then retconning this as rhyming and trying to pass himself off as some sort of creative genius. I'm surprised people fall for so much of his bullshit - he is undoubtably great with the broad strokes but I really don't credit him with enough nouse to make the trilogies rhyme as he made half of them up on the fly. He falls for his own bullshit.
post #134 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
"poetry, it rhymes"

http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/

post #135 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

I think Lucas using rhyming in Star Wars was more him just rehashing ideas himself then retconning this as rhyming and trying to pass himself off as some sort of creative genius. I'm surprised people fall for so much of his bullshit - he is undoubtably great with the broad strokes but I really don't credit him with enough nouse to make the trilogies rhyme as he made half of them up on the fly. He falls for his own bullshit.


Yeah, I agree.  I mean we got the same creatively bankrupt stuff in AOTC withe the whole Obi-wan latching onto an asteroid to hide/Solo hiding on a star destroyer winks.

 

I mean seriously wtf was the purpose of referencing that at all?

post #136 of 1062

Guys, you keep saying rhyming but I'm pretty sure you mean symmetry.

 

Episode one closing with a funeral gives the entire six film arc symmetry since it ends with a funeral, and both funerals hold great import for Anakin Skywalker.

post #137 of 1062
I thought Episode I ended with Boss Mass holding a giant sparkly crystal ball into the air for some reason.
post #138 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

I thought Episode I ended with Boss Mass holding a giant sparkly crystal ball into the air for some reason.

That's because they also needed to end the first movie of the new trilogy with an awards ceremony.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #139 of 1062

post #140 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

I think Lucas using rhyming in Star Wars was more him just rehashing ideas himself then retconning this as rhyming and trying to pass himself off as some sort of creative genius. I'm surprised people fall for so much of his bullshit - he is undoubtably great with the broad strokes but I really don't credit him with enough nouse to make the trilogies rhyme as he made half of them up on the fly. He falls for his own bullshit.

 

People really seem to get off on stripping Lucas of his accomplishments.  Lucas is as fallible as most other creative artist given too much rope.  I get it.  But did Lucas ever say he meant for things to "rhyme" from the beginning?  That whole thing came from the making of the Phantom Menace documentary, years and years after the original trilogy, and people ran with it.  Of course he saw similarities in Anakin blowing up the trade ship and Luke blowing up the death star.  Him relating it to poetry was shorthand for making a point.  And anybody who can pull off making A New Hope and writing Empire Strikes Back deserves to pat himself on the back a bit.

post #141 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

I think Lucas using rhyming in Star Wars was more him just rehashing ideas himself then retconning this as rhyming and trying to pass himself off as some sort of creative genius. I'm surprised people fall for so much of his bullshit - he is undoubtably great with the broad strokes but I really don't credit him with enough nouse to make the trilogies rhyme as he made half of them up on the fly. He falls for his own bullshit.


Or you take what he says far too seriously.  C'mon -- "trying to pass himself off as some sort of creative genius"?  That's your own baggage, not anything Lucas has said.  (Or Lucas is an incredibly strange person who tries to pass himself off as a genius by telling people that the thing they believe he's a genius for is just a movie that they spend way too much time thinking about.)

post #142 of 1062
post #143 of 1062
I've been on the new Star Tours a couple times. It kind of bugs me that C-3PO pilots the star speeder.
post #144 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

http://www.slashfilm.com/disney-star-wars-theme-park-plans-to-be-announced-fairly-soon/

Yeahhhhhh, get dat paper!!!

 

The unholy marriage of one of my favorite things ever (Star Wars) with one of my most hated things ever (theme parks).

post #145 of 1062
What, D.T., you don't like measels?
post #146 of 1062
LOL
post #147 of 1062
Measels are like the only thing you can get at Disneyland that isn't ridiculously overpriced.
post #148 of 1062
Apropos of nothing, I skimmed a bit of speculation regarding the identity of some of the characters and it was amusing to me that some fans immediately assume that Boyega and Nyong'o's characters are related. If they are, fine, but I kind of love the unconscious assumption that two black actors with presumably significant roles can't possibly be in Star Wars without their characters sharing blood. Pretty funny.
post #149 of 1062

They all look alike.

post #150 of 1062

Stormtroopers? Well, yeah, they're clones!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Franchises
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › The Franchises › STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Thread