CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Sports › The Chicago Cubs March to the 2015 World Series
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Chicago Cubs March to the 2015 World Series

Poll Results: How well will the Cubs do this year

 
  • 21% (4)
    Win World series
  • 5% (1)
    Win the Central Division
  • 15% (3)
    Get a Wild Card Spot
  • 15% (3)
    Be better than the White Sox but miss playoffs
  • 42% (8)
    Continue to be a joke
19 Total Votes  
post #1 of 391
Thread Starter 

 

After a 5 year break I'm dusting off this thread.  The stars have aligned and the Cubs are poised to break out this year.  I was naïve to think Bryant could break into the Opening Day Roster but I understand the decision.  If he had a different agent(Boras) he might have made the roster.

 

The Central isn't as good as in the past.  The Reds aren't much of a threat anymore and the Brewers regressed.  It's not 4 deep anymore

 

Joe Maddon has already made a smart move by moving Edwin Jackson to the bullpen.  The guy can be great for 4 innings, 5 if lucky, but sooner or later he'll blow up.  But he did help get the Cubs Kris Bryant by sucking so bad so hats off to him.

 

The Rotation is solid.  Top 2 guys have no hit stuff and the botton half will always keep you in the game.

 

Starting Pitchers

Lester

Arrieta

Hammel

Wood

Hendricks.

 

Relief Pitchers

Phil Coke

Jason Motte

Edwin Jackson

Pedro Strop

Justin Grimm

Neil Ramirez

Closer Hector Rondon

 

Catchers - I assume one of these catchers goes when Bryant comes up.

David Ross

Wilington Castillo 

Miguel Montero

 

Infield

1B Anthony Rizzo

2B  Tommy La Stella, Arismendy Alcantara(CF)

SS Starlin Castro, Jonathan Herrera

3B  Mike Olt(1B)

 

Outfield

LF Chris Couglan,  Matt Szcur(RF/CF)

CF Dexter Fowler

RF Jorge Soler

 

That's the 25 man roster.  For now. 

 

Haven't seen an official roster but will update near game time.

 

It's gonna happen.  It is the year of the goat.


Edited by Anyawatchin Angel - 4/5/15 at 1:17pm
post #2 of 391

I'll just say this, the way people from Chicago sound on this is very similar to how people from DC sounded with the Nationals a couple of years back. Look how well that turned out. I say just play the game and stop talking about anything post-regular season.

post #3 of 391

Sorry to say oftentimes being better than my White Sox does not necessarily preclude one from being a joke!  Might wanna tweak the poll.

 

(2005... 2005... 2005... just keep reminding myself of 2005.)

post #4 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by donde View Post

 

I'll just say this, the way people from Chicago sound on this is very similar to how people from DC sounded with the Nationals a couple of years back. Look how well that turned out. I say just play the game and stop talking about anything post-regular season.


Exactly... because it really is a crapshoot once you get to the playoffs.  But obviously it's imperative to be good enough to at least have a shot, and the Cubs seem to be, so there's reason for optimism.  But you could win 105 games and it means jack shit once October rolls around.  Just enjoy the ride... which many Cubs fans seem to do anyway, even when they're lousy.

 

One thing I will say is there's no such thing as winning "a year early."  If you're good enough, you better take advantage of the opportunity, because there's no guarantee you will be there the next year (let alone the next five.)

post #5 of 391
Thread Starter 

Opening Day Line up.  Lester bats 8th.

 

Quote:
 Maddon indicated all spring he might bat his pitchers in the 8-hole, as he likes the idea of back-to-back leadoff-type men batting No. 9 and No. 1. Tommy La Stella will bat ninth Sunday, with Dexter Fowler leading off.

 

Fowler CF

Soler   Rf

Rizzo 1B

Castro SS

Coghlan LF

Olt  3B

Ross  C

Lester  P

La Stella 2B

 

I love Soler batting 2nd.  When Bryant comes up they will go Soler, Rizzo, Bryant, Castro.  If Fowler can hit .300 they will score a ton of runs.

 

*Full Roster out


Edited by Anyawatchin Angel - 4/5/15 at 1:36pm
post #6 of 391
Thread Starter 

And it's only the 2nd and Wainwright is getting the calls out of the Zone and Lester isn't.  ESPN's K-Zone is going to piss me off this year with how good it is. 

post #7 of 391
Thread Starter 

Ok the ump just sucks.  Huge strike zone and inconsistent.

post #8 of 391

That game last night was pitiful.  Everything about the organization seems to be a joke.  How many runners were left on base?  How many balls dropped between fielders?  How many restrooms were open on the upper concourse? 

 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-cubs-apologize-for-long-bathroom-lines-at-wrigley-we-missed-the-mark-20150406-story.html

 

 

I want to get excited about this team, but give me something to root for damnit.

post #9 of 391

I had tickets for today's game, but alas it was cancelled.  I was getting real excited to pee in a cup.

post #10 of 391
Thread Starter 

CUBS WIN!!!!

 

But just 2 hits.  If only they had a power hitting third basemen somewhere.

post #11 of 391
Thread Starter 

3-2

 

How is LaTroy Hawkins still in baseball?  I can understand if he was a lefty but the guy is 42 years old.  He was done a long time ago. I remember back in the day when he use to blow leads all the time for the Cubs. 

post #12 of 391
Thread Starter 
First Place Bitches!

Three in a row and the last 2 were late come from behind wins. Those type of wins build confidence. Sure it's early but it's better than the usual 1-6 start.
post #13 of 391
I'm so fucking excited! Love, love the patience they've shown! Soler is a beast! The pen had been lights out.
post #14 of 391
Today we should win. Pitching miss match.
post #15 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post

3-2

How is LaTroy Hawkins still in baseball?  I can understand if he was a lefty but the guy is 42 years old.  He was done a long time ago. I remember back in the day when he use to blow leads all the time for the Cubs. 

And still closing! Lol!
post #16 of 391
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccc View Post

Today we should win. Pitching miss match.

Letser gets the pub but Arrieta is the real beast.  Wood, Hammel, and Hendricks are all good 3/4 starters.  And if you saw the final game in Colorado Hendricks screwed up by reaching for the ball or the Cubs get out of the 2nd giving up no runs instead of 4. 

 

The bullpen is what makes me most happy.  You don't have that you may as well tank the season.

post #17 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post

Letser gets the pub but Arrieta is the real beast.  Wood, Hammel, and Hendricks are all good 3/4 starters.  And if you saw the final game in Colorado Hendricks screwed up by reaching for the ball or the Cubs get out of the 2nd giving up no runs instead of 4. 

The bullpen is what makes me most happy.  You don't have that you may as well tank the season.

That final game in Colorado, Rockies had no business winning that game. They basically handed the Cubs the win and they struggled to capitalize, but when they finally did it felt damn, damn good!

Can't wait for Bryant and Russell this offense will be on full on beast mode. So fucking exciting.

Edit:

Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs 42m42 minutes ago
Cubs bullpen last two days: 8.2 IP, 6 H, 0 BB, 8 K's, 0 R
post #18 of 391
Thread Starter 

Jason Marquis is still in the league?!  First LaTroy Hawkins and now Marquis.  Former Cub reuinion tour. 

 

Funny watching Soler tonight.  It's a bit chilly at arounf 50 degrees but he has a full winter mask on.

post #19 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post
 

Jason Marquis is still in the league?!  First LaTroy Hawkins and now Marquis.  Former Cub reuinion tour. 

 

Funny watching Soler tonight.  It's a bit chilly at arounf 50 degrees but he has a full winter mask on.


I cracked up also.  I mean it's not that cold!   Did you see the adjustment on his third AB?  Marquis fooled the hell out of him and he adjusted with a walk.  He's got amazing insticts and very, very smart for his age.   I'm still concerned about RISP.  This game should be at least 7 - 0, but it's crappy weather, and shit will heat up in the summer. 

 

Edit:  Castro is having a good game.  All he does is hit and hit and hit.  People need to stop bitching and dangling him as trade bait.  He'll have a great shot at 1000 hits this year and he's 25 years old!  Move him to second and Russell to SS and let them play for the next 10 years.  

post #20 of 391

Anya and all you other Cubs fans out  there, this is for you, and you have my sympathies....

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edkQdkZeeFg

post #21 of 391

OMG!  I NEVER SAW THAT BEFORE!   Derrrrr..........

post #22 of 391
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccc View Post

 

Edit:  Castro is having a good game.  All he does is hit and hit and hit.  People need to stop bitching and dangling him as trade bait.  He'll have a great shot at 1000 hits this year and he's 25 years old!  Move him to second and Russell to SS and let them play for the next 10 years.  

I'm a bit troubled by his off the field activities so I don't mind him going.  And if you can get young pitching then I think you do it and bring in Russell. 

 

Bad news on the pitching front.  Looks like set up man Neil Ramirez will be gone for a while.  MRI today.  Last year when called up he played 50 games, 43IP, 10.92 K/IP, 1.05 whip, and 1.44 ERA.  Luckily the Cubs have a lot of live arms to bring up.

 

And with the injuries at 3B, Ramirez headed to the DL it's the perfect time to bring up Bryant.  They can just say circumstances changed and he's needed now.

post #23 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post
 

I'm a bit troubled by his off the field activities so I don't mind him going.  And if you can get young pitching then I think you do it and bring in Russell. 

 

Bad news on the pitching front.  Looks like set up man Neil Ramirez will be gone for a while.  MRI today.  Last year when called up he played 50 games, 43IP, 10.92 K/IP, 1.05 whip, and 1.44 ERA.  Luckily the Cubs have a lot of live arms to bring up.

 

And with the injuries at 3B, Ramirez headed to the DL it's the perfect time to bring up Bryant.  They can just say circumstances changed and he's needed now.

Nah.  I would hang on to him.  Whose gonna play 2nd?  You don't make holes if you don't have to.  Sucks about Ramirez!  I knew it was serious last night after two pitches.

 

 

Bryant will come up on Monday on the road.  I highly, highly doubt they will bring him up in Chicago with the media all over him.  

post #24 of 391
Thread Starter 

Alcantra can play 2nd.  Baez too if he ever learns to be patient at the plate. 

post #25 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post
 

Alcantra can play 2nd.  Baez too if he ever learns to be patient at the plate. 

 

I don't think there's a person alive who'd rather see those two over Castro, who is on a team friendly contract.  

 

Food for thought:

 

"The youngest player in history to reach 1,000 hits was Ty Cobb; he hit the mark when he was 24 years, 145 days old. Cobb holds the record in the AL whereas Mel Ott holds the National Leaguerecord by getting his 1,000th hit at 24 years, 154 days old."

 

Castro should hit 1000 hits this year.  25 years old.  

 

BTW  - Russell and Bryant in the Iowa lineup tonight.  

post #26 of 391

EDIT:  Bryant is getting called up!  Will be there tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Russell 3-4 and Bryant was robbed of a homer and then hit a 3 run shot (so far).  Call them both up!

 

 

Fowler

Rizzo

Soler

Bryant

Castro

Cog

Montero

<pitcher>

Russell

 

 

FUCKING A!  That's a Dong fest!


Edited by cccc - 4/16/15 at 7:05pm
post #27 of 391
Thread Starter 

HAPPY KRIS BRYANT DAY!

post #28 of 391
Thread Starter 

He's batting 4th.  Personally I'd have him 2nd, then Rizzo, then Soler.  Couglan can't protect him. 

 

 

 

 

 

Me at about 1:35

 

post #29 of 391

Russell is next!  He's playing 2nd in the minors and I give him another month and he's up.  

 

Can't fucking wait for today's game!!!

post #30 of 391

I was talking to my friend about the Bryant situation and he says that if there's a Wild Card play-in game, the season gets extended like 3 days and we lose the rights we wanted to gain with him or something.  He was adamant they were going to wait until Monday to call him up just in case this happens.  Looks like he was mistaken.

post #31 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costco Mike View Post
 

I was talking to my friend about the Bryant situation and he says that if there's a Wild Card play-in game, the season gets extended like 3 days and we lose the rights we wanted to gain with him or something.  He was adamant they were going to wait until Monday to call him up just in case this happens.  Looks like he was mistaken.

I heard that also, but I don't think it's true.  

post #32 of 391

Works for me.  His first at bat was crazy, everybody just taking pictures of him, talk about pressure.

 

This Padres game is fun so far though. 

post #33 of 391
Thread Starter 
Bryant struck out five times in his first pro game. No worries.
post #34 of 391

And he was facing Shields.  He just missed that pitch in the 7th.    This ump is a fucker today!   

post #35 of 391
Thread Starter 
Kind of digging the pitcher batting 8th when they have a stud batting 2nd.

1st hit for Bryant is broken bat single to center scoring run and he gets to 2nd on throw.
post #36 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post

Kind of digging the pitcher batting 8th when they have a stud batting 2nd.

1st hit for Bryant is broken bat single to center scoring run and he gets to 2nd on throw.


He's settling now.  Smart enough to lay off the shit and take the walk.  Really fantastic adjustment by Bryant today.  Happy to see it.

 

Not crazy about taking out Hendricks, but they probably want to end this start on a good note.  He's been amazing since the first and 8K's today.  Bravo!

post #37 of 391


I look forward to you guys liveblogging every at bat of this guy's career.
 

post #38 of 391
Thread Starter 

Bryant with an infield single to SS.  Cubs in business.  1st/3rd and 1 out.  Ross to PH.  Looks like the Padres are going have 5 infielders.

 

CUBS WIN!!!  Castro with the bases loaded rbi knock.

post #39 of 391

That game, that fucking game...I swear being a cubs fan all my fucking life....Only us!   Glad we pulled it out...

post #40 of 391

 


Edited by cccc - 4/19/15 at 8:03am
post #41 of 391

#wearegood

post #42 of 391

And we're just getting Russell now...

post #43 of 391
Thread Starter 
Stunned Addison Russell is coming up already. I'll assume he'lol be plugged in the 9 spot to be the 2nd lead off hitter. I'm just glad they are bringing up their best guys so early. Now if Lester can get his head out of his ass this team will start racking up victories.
post #44 of 391

post #45 of 391

Lester will be fine.  He's velocity was good last start just needs to get his pitches on point.  I bet next start he'll have a real good game.

post #46 of 391

post #47 of 391

I would actually be fine with the Cubs morphing into the evil empire.  We have been lovable losers for way too long. 

post #48 of 391

Lineup for today!

 

  1. Dexter Fowler, CF
  2. Jorge Soler, RF
  3. Anthony Rizzo, 1B
  4. Kris Bryant, 3B
  5. Starlin Castro, SS
  6. Chris Denorfia, LF
  7. Welington Castillo, C
  8. Travis Wood, SP
  9. Addison Russell, 2B
post #49 of 391
Thread Starter 

I smell a trade for LF in the future.  A veteran bat come playoff time.  Coughlin is all right, but it be nice to have a thumper there.

post #50 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post
 

Opening Day Line up.  Lester bats 8th.

 

 

Fowler CF

Soler   Rf

Rizzo 1B

Castro SS

Coghlan LF

Olt  3B

Ross  C

Lester  P

La Stella 2B

 

I love Soler batting 2nd.  When Bryant comes up they will go Soler, Rizzo, Bryant, Castro.  If Fowler can hit .300 they will score a ton of runs.

 

*Full Roster out

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post

Stunned Addison Russell is coming up already. I'll assume he'lol be plugged in the 9 spot to be the 2nd lead off hitter. I'm just glad they are bringing up their best guys so early. Now if Lester can get his head out of his ass this team will start racking up victories.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post

Kind of digging the pitcher batting 8th when they have a stud batting 2nd.

1st hit for Bryant is broken bat single to center scoring run and he gets to 2nd on throw.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Sports › The Chicago Cubs March to the 2015 World Series