CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › BLADE RUNNER 2 Pre Release
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BLADE RUNNER 2 Pre Release - Page 8

post #351 of 1173
Leto in this trailer seems like he's playing Viggo's Satan from The Prophecy.

So...if Tyrell was a God figure to the replicants maybe Leto is....

I'm just thinking too much..
post #352 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post

 

 

At least this is the future of Blade Runner, so more advanced technology makes sense. As opposed to Prometheus, where everything is way fancier than the first Alien even though it takes place a couple of decades before. 

 

I think they might have explainded that by showing that the Nostromo was a grungy low-budget mining vessel, whereas the Prometheus was a fancy state of the art science/exploration ship and medpod yacht for a rich CEO and his daughter.

post #353 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
 

 

I think they might have explainded that by showing that the Nostromo was a grungy low-budget mining vessel, whereas the Prometheus was a fancy state of the art science/exploration ship and medpod yacht for a rich CEO and his daughter.

Sure.

 

But, you know, Thermian documents.

post #354 of 1173
I truthfully don't think this is gonna be a huge hit. Blade Runner ain't Star Wars. Teens and early 20-somethings just see a spiffy looking Ryan Gosling movie and have no sense of the history of the thing except maybe vaguely. But I think it WILL retain a lot of the dream like ambiguity of the original. I'm kind of taken aback at the lack of faith in this despite who's directing it. You'd think it was a JJ Abrams movie (which I don't mind...but I know how the rest of you feel)..
post #355 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

I truthfully don't think this is gonna be a huge hit. Blade Runner ain't Star Wars. Teens and early 20-somethings just see a spiffy looking Ryan Gosling movie and have no sense of the history of the thing except maybe vaguely. But I think it WILL retain a lot of the dream like ambiguity of the original. I'm kind of taken aback at the lack of faith in this despite who's directing it. You'd think it was a JJ Abrams movie (which I don't mind...but I know how the rest of you feel)..

 

I've been a fan of the director sense Prisoners, which has a very dream-like quality about it. Enemy might be the one film of his I didn't quite get.  I liked this trailer, but it's quite easy to see it's selling the movie as an action spectacle of sorts, and I'm willing to bet that it just showed most of it here. It's not the director's thing. Sicario is his most action packed and the movie is mostly slow burn. 

post #356 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

Enemy might be the one film of his I didn't quite get.
I like it well enough. Doesn't add up to much, but it has some great moments.
post #357 of 1173
Truthfully, I don't even get an "action spectacle" sense from that trailer. You could cut a trailer of the first film that seems just as action packed as this.

What I'm most curious to find out is what's up with Deckard. It almost seems like who we see in this trailer is the person that the Replicant Deckard was modeled after. Like the character from the first movie did in fact expire along with Rachel at some point and Gosling sought out the real human Deckard for whatever reason. Just a vibe I get from it. Probably totally wrong..
post #358 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

I truthfully don't think this is gonna be a huge hit.

Yep. This ain't gonna set the box office on fire. Might do well enough (those hoping for the Villeneuve Dune movie to come together better hope Blade Runner 2049 doesn't faceplant), but it's definitely a kind of question mark.

post #359 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post
I've been a fan of the director sense Prisoners, which has a very dream-like quality about it. Enemy might be the one film of his I didn't quite get.  I liked this trailer, but it's quite easy to see it's selling the movie as an action spectacle of sorts, and I'm willing to bet that it just showed most of it here. It's not the director's thing. Sicario is his most action packed and the movie is mostly slow burn. 

 

I still can't articulate why but I fucking love SICARIO. Everything from the bad dream vibe to horror show score to the growing, inexorable dread and building tension which gets barely tolerable releases throughout the film.

 

Hell, the prologue itself suggests an almost entirely different kind of film, a sort of X-Files SWAT team that finds this kind of shit on a regular basis.

post #360 of 1173
Don't get me wrong...I hope it does much bigger business than I expect it to. Especially if it's a strange, not exactly straight forward film. That's just good for the industry. Even if it's far from perfect, a much more avant-garde film making a significant profit is good for everyone. Which is why I tend to root for things like this no matter what. But realistically...I think Fury Road like box office is the absolute ceiling on it, if it really catches on. And even that may be a stretch..
post #361 of 1173

yeah, Fury Road was able to show off some insane action in its promotional stuff. I think, or at least hope, that they can't do the same with Blade Runner 2049. I agree that maybe this isn't as much about action spectacle (as opposed to slow-burn aesthetic spectacle) as the trailer seems to be going for. They may have literally taken clips from every action beat in the movie for the second half of that trailer. in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what happened.

 

I think Villeneuve would like to honor what made the original special and keep that same sort of spirit alive in his movie. I think the bones of the script, the editing, and the music are going to be crucial for that and those are things you can't judge much at all from a trailer. but I will say the teaser was much better at feeling like Blade Runner.

post #362 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Leto in this trailer seems like he's playing Viggo's Satan from The Prophecy.

So...if Tyrell was a God figure to the replicants maybe Leto is....

I'm just thinking too much..

If you're overthinking it, you're probably overthinking it in precisely the same way that Leto seems to have done.
post #363 of 1173
He seems so much like Viggo's Satan to me though that that's who I picture in the trailer. Until I watch it a few more times I suppose. If he can do a performance like that, I think I'll be glad he's in this movie.

Where's the story about him sending Ford some used condoms or anal beads and Ford just punching his lights out the next time he saw him??
post #364 of 1173

"There is an order to things. That's what we do here: we keep order. The world is built on a wall that separates kind. Tell either side there's no wall, you bought a war."

 

What if everyone's a replicant? What if the Earth's environment was so polluted that man had to merge with machine? What if it's not actually 2049, but much later, after mankind is extinct? What if that secret got out?


Edited by Barry Woodward - 5/9/17 at 10:23am
post #365 of 1173
Every Barry story, ever:

post #366 of 1173

I think this film should appeal well.  You've got the movie fans with it being a Blade Runner film.  You've got the casual fans with Harrison Ford.  You've got the kids with Ryan Gosling and guns.  And as for the casual people, it's an intriguing looking trailer with great visuals.  That should work.

post #367 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 

 

I still can't articulate why but I fucking love SICARIO. Everything from the bad dream vibe to horror show score to the growing, inexorable dread and building tension which gets barely tolerable releases throughout the film.

 

Hell, the prologue itself suggests an almost entirely different kind of film, a sort of X-Files SWAT team that finds this kind of shit on a regular basis.

 

Sicario is amazing. It's like you have no idea what the movie is doing until very late in the game. It hypnotizes you. 

post #368 of 1173

You didn't know? I mean its pretty clear that Emily Blunt is being set up for something.

post #369 of 1173

I'm talking about what the film is about. 

post #370 of 1173

Dave Batista is in this too. I'm a big fan of him as Drax and I want to see if he can do more than be dead pan comic relief.

post #371 of 1173

post #372 of 1173
Urgh. Jared Leto.

I wonder if he sent his cast mates replacement eyes.

Other than him this looks interesting though.
post #373 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post
 

I'm talking about what the film is about. 

 

Well, there are multiple valid interpretations. The writer of the film (and the sequel) has said they're allegories about U.S. foreign policy. Others have given different, equally powerful takes on what the film is about.

post #374 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

Well, there are multiple valid interpretations. The writer of the film (and the sequel) has said they're allegories about U.S. foreign policy. Others have given different, equally powerful takes on what the film is about.

Remember reading that article before. Pretty interesting.
post #375 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post

Urgh. Jared Leto.

I wonder if he sent his cast mates replacement eyes.

Other than him this looks interesting though.

I guess I'm a little biased against Leto. He was banging my best friend's (who was a sttuggling actor) girlfriend. He was kind of notorious around town for stuff like that. I'm sure accepting his oscar looking like Jesus didnt help his ego any.
post #376 of 1173

I mean, even if you didn't have some weird personal vendetta against him, Leto's behavior on Suicide Squad should have guaranteed he never worked again. Katherine Heigl was shunned for far less.

post #377 of 1173
Jared Leto is a weirdo but I don't know that that stuff on Suicide Squad actually took place....or at least to the degree that they made it out to be. All of that nonsense smacked of Joker hype that went awry..
post #378 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Jared Leto is a weirdo but I don't know that that stuff on Suicide Squad actually took place....or at least to the degree that they made it out to be. All of that nonsense smacked of Joker hype that went awry..

 

It was confirmed by multiple cast members, and nothing's come out since that he was joking. Leto is super method. What makes you think that it was "hype"?

post #379 of 1173
I think Fraid is right. It felt like the whole cast was in on it as a marketing ploy.
post #380 of 1173
Except Jared. He totally thought it was edgy and frightening.
post #381 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

It was confirmed by multiple cast members, and nothing's come out since that he was joking. Leto is super method. What makes you think that it was "hype"?
I'm not claiming to know anything for sure. It just smells fishy. Like maybe he did some weird method stuff and then someone decided to embellish it into what we all read about to make it seem suuuuuper INTENSE acting or something. I think he probably did some creepy stuff. But used condoms and anal beads woulda got him punched IRL. All that method for a glorified cameo? I dunno man..
post #382 of 1173

Except it seems like the major target of his "pranks" was Robbie, a woman in an environment (not just Hollywood, but the hyper-masculine, bro-tastic sets that Ayer seems to cultivate) where there is overwhelming pressure to "get along" or be "one of the guys," even if it makes them uncomfortable or feel harassed. 

 

These stories happen all the time. They're just not talked about, because it's not Jared Leto and Margo Robbie. 

 

Let's not pretend like this isn't a problem. 

post #383 of 1173

Fuck this mean girl gossipy bullshit.

post #384 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post
 

Fuck this mean girl gossipy bullshit.

 

These stories were widely reported and confirmed by Leto's fellow cast members. How is that gossip? 

post #385 of 1173
'Cause.
post #386 of 1173

Kay. 

post #387 of 1173

So THERE!

post #388 of 1173
Boone.

Let us fuck.
post #389 of 1173
Maybe it did, maybe it didn't!

I just think it DID....some of it...and the marketing folks made more out it than what the reality was....and it kinda backfired..
post #390 of 1173

At least we can all agree Jared Leto is a piece of shit. 

post #391 of 1173
I don't know, I'm a bit biased because Leto used to bang me.
post #392 of 1173
How are his cans?
post #393 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post

Boone.

Let us fuck.

 

No. 

 

Get to fuck. 

post #394 of 1173
frown.gif
post #395 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

it all feels very slightly more lived in than the world of the recent ghost in the shell movie

and that movie didn't feel lived in at all

 

Finally watched the trailer.  Geeze, you're spot on.

 

Also kinda hating that it hints at some 'destiny' or 'chosen one' thing for Gosling.  

post #396 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

Also kinda hating that it hints at some 'destiny' or 'chosen one' thing for Gosling.
But it's part of The Formula! Just like the climax where something gets blown up real good to foil somebody's sinister plot, which will definitely happen in this movie!
post #397 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post

How are his cans?

Good enough to kick.
post #398 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post

Sticking with the original thank you very much. This looks like Jared Leto (aka shit).

Say what you will about him as a person and actor, but the guy is walking proof caloric restriction is the goddamn fountain of youth. Fucker hasn't aged in 30 years.
post #399 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post


Say what you will about him as a person and actor, but the guy is walking proof caloric restriction is the goddamn fountain of youth. Fucker hasn't aged in 30 years.

 

I can't believe anything I see on the screen after that huge article on 'digital makeup' was published.  Dude probably looks like the Cryptkeeper in person.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post


But it's part of The Formula! Just like the climax where something gets blown up real good to foil somebody's sinister plot, which will definitely happen in this movie!

 

Tyrell coporation buildings exploding!  Advertising blimps crashing to the ground!  Armies of replicants suddenly falling over dead!

post #400 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post


But it's part of The Formula! Just like the climax where something gets blown up real good to foil somebody's sinister plot, which will definitely happen in this movie!

 

Yes, Villeneuve is definitely all about rote and cliche endings...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › BLADE RUNNER 2 Pre Release