CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › BLADE RUNNER 2 Pre Release
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BLADE RUNNER 2 Pre Release - Page 12

post #551 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 

How many people thought SICARIO was an action film from the trailers? It has action in it, but it's not an "action film."

 

I'm expecting the same from BR2049. 

 

Sicario was practically an indie film with a $30M budget, those films can take chances like that.

 

BR2 is one of, it not the most expensive R-rated movies ever made.    It's probably action packed.

post #552 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

How many people thought SICARIO was an action film from the trailers? It has action in it, but it's not an "action film."

I'm expecting the same from BR2049. Trailers are meant to put butts in seats and aimed at generating interest in the widest swath of people possible.

I really, really doubt Villeneuve has gone into mid-90s action film mode for this.

The example that I'm clinging to in order to keep hope alive is The Grey. The trailers sold us "Liam Neeson fights wolves," and I almost missed out on a really lovely drama about accepting the fact of one's own mortality. The movie that the trailers depicted didn't interest me, but my father wanted to go see Liam Neeson fight some wolves, and I went with him to humor him. One of us walked out of the theater having really enjoyed the picture.
post #553 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasor View Post


The example that I'm clinging to in order to keep hope alive is The Grey. The trailers sold us "Liam Neeson fights wolves," and I almost missed out on a really lovely drama about accepting the fact of one's own mortality. The movie that the trailers depicted didn't interest me, but my father wanted to go see Liam Neeson fight some wolves, and I went with him to humor him. One of us walked out of the theater having really enjoyed the picture.

Rumors I have heard about this from someone I know in Burbank is that the trailers are making it look far more action-heavy than it is. That's all that I was told--that and that the first few cuts were quite long, like in excess of 150 minutes. 

 

Anyway, I imagine that the trailers are hyping up the action elements disproportionate to their actual standing in the film's running time, but it could still be more "action-y" than some of us would like, I'm sure. 

post #554 of 1173
I couldn't care less if this movie is more action oriented or not. I'm not expecting the vague, dreamlike puzzle box of a movie that the original was. Because I'm being offered more Blade Runner. I mean...more of this world with that budget and this director and shot by Deakins? Yes please!
post #555 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

I'm not expecting the vague, dreamlike puzzle box of a movie that the original was. Because I'm being offered more Blade Runner.

 

You kind of contradicted yourself there.

post #556 of 1173
Visuals man. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm looking forward to about it if it doesn't deliver on one other aspect..
post #557 of 1173

Yep. With Villeneuve as the director, you know it's going to look gorgeous if nothing else.

post #558 of 1173
Plus Deakins...I mean, good lord..
post #559 of 1173
Denis Villeneuve is one of the best directors working today. My expectations are high not just because it's a sequel to one of my favorite sci-fi movies, there's a lot.

It's Blade Runner.

It's Villeneuve.

It's Deakins.

It's Harrison Ford, at last, revisiting a movie that I put over his other blockbusters because I'm the kook that prefers Deckard to Han Solo and Indiana Jones.

It's Gosling, who I consider the best actor working today.

Factor in the supporting cast, strong trailers... yeah, I'm hyped.
post #560 of 1173

I'm very wary but the recent TV spot ("to strangers") was the best promotional thing released since the first teaser.

post #561 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post
It's Gosling, who I consider the best actor working today.

 

You had me until this point. Gosling's solid, I don't argue that. But the best?

post #562 of 1173
Thread Starter 

Anyone know of any real active BR fansites doing stuff like trailer analysis, with forums and etc?

post #563 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceL View Post
 

Anyone know of any real active BR fansites doing stuff like trailer analysis, with forums and etc?

 

io9 usually does trailer breakdowns. Might want to check there.

post #564 of 1173
Thread Starter 

They are shooting three short films to flesh out the BR world. Here's one by the guy that did MORGAN.

 

post #565 of 1173
Leto continues to put me off.

Jared Leto ACTING is all I get from any of his performances. He never disappears into a role, he makes it all about how he has become the role.

Love everything else but fuck, I hate that guy. If it was anything other than Blade Runner I'd avoid it.
post #566 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post

Leto continues to put me off.

Jared Leto ACTING is all I get from any of his performances. He never disappears into a role, he makes it all about how he has become the role.

Love everything else but fuck, I hate that guy. If it was anything other than Blade Runner I'd avoid it.

 

post #567 of 1173

Leto's career is the fault of everyone who said Requiem for a Dream was a good movie.

post #568 of 1173

Requiem just showed how good Aronofsky is at pulling a performance out of people, because Leto never did anything worth a damn since.  Except maybe Dallas Buyers Club.

post #569 of 1173

I just hate Requiem for a Dream. Taking pot shots at it makes me feel better.

post #570 of 1173
Requiem for a Dream is one of those movies that I can never ever watch again. Not that I thought it was BAD.

Leto seems so un-Leto like in the Blade Runner preview (at least to me anyway) that I'm not wary of him being in it yet. I swear he reminds me SOOO MUCH of Viggo Mortensen as Satan in The Prophecy. Which kinda fits I guess. He looks like he's the Tyrell of the sequel. And if Tyrell was like God in the original...well, you probably see where I'm going with this..
post #571 of 1173

I dunno about Requiem for a Dream, I've never been brave enough to watch it.  But Leto was amazingly good in Lord of War, essentially the heart of the film.

post #572 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones View Post
 

I dunno about Requiem for a Dream, I've never been brave enough to watch it.  

 

It's essential watching for anyone who claims to be a movie fan.  It's no worse than your average horror movie in terms of content, so there's that...

 

And it happens to be one of the best films of that decade.  It pretty much launched Aronofsky's career.

post #573 of 1173

I don't find it all that disturbing, because it's so over the top -- almost to cartoony levels of miserableness by the end. And I find it to be really efforted. It feels like an after-school special on PCP.

 

Which, in all fairness, is more or less the point, I guess.

post #574 of 1173
Thread Starter 

Posters. I'm not going to lie, I hate Ford's stupid Tshirt. I hope he gets some kind of futuristic space shirt in the movie at some point.

 

 

 

 

 

post #575 of 1173

Michael Shannon is America's greatest working actor, handed the title he did not want, nor did he ask for, after the death of Philip Seymour Hoffman. 

post #576 of 1173
Forgot Leto was in Requiem. Amazing film but like Fraid I can never watch it again.
post #577 of 1173
I actually kind of dig Leto's performance in that short. Usually can't stand the guy but he's appropriately creepy there and I don't think he's doing his usual showy ACTING schtick.

Also like all the little glimpses of the world it gives like their being a full blown replicant uprising in the past.

And most importantly...BENNY WONG!
post #578 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post

I actually kind of dig Leto's performance in that short. Usually can't stand the guy but he's appropriately creepy there and I don't think he's doing his usual showy ACTING schtick.

 

Oh, he's ACTING there.

 

But....it's fine? I mean, it seems to be a heightened world with a specific tone, and his approach works there. For me, at least.

 

I'm assuming that whatever tension Villeneuve aims for in the actual film, wondering who the villain is won't be part of that. Leto's character is clearly a bad guy.

post #579 of 1173

There's a word for Leto that Nooj, Agent and I like to throw around:

 

Schmacting.

 

If only he had a cigarette in his hand, his performance would improve 1,000%.

post #580 of 1173

Oooh, that's right. And it's really applicable to that short.

 

It's fine. He was fine.

post #581 of 1173
Benny Wong was better though. Love me some Benny.
post #582 of 1173

He's one of those actors who makes everything they're in better just be being in it.

post #583 of 1173

Hearing that BR2 clocks in at a bladder bursting 2 hours, 48 minutes.

post #584 of 1173

what was the average runtime for the various cuts of the original film?

post #585 of 1173

They could save time by cutting out Jared Leto!

post #586 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post
 

what was the average runtime for the various cuts of the original film?


They all seem to average around 116/117 minutes.

post #587 of 1173

I trust Villeneuve on the runtime.  His films, so far, haven't had any padding that made me look at my watch.

post #588 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Hearing that BR2 clocks in at a bladder bursting 2 hours, 48 minutes.

My bladder is ready.
post #589 of 1173
It would be amazing if the advent of the Moviepass business model meant that films could run a little longer. By no means does every movie benefit from length, but one that works by immersing you in an atmosphere definitely could.
post #590 of 1173
Epic length actually gets me interested, suggests they might be going for something ambitious after all.
post #591 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

I trust Villeneuve on the runtime.  His films, so far, haven't had any padding that made me look at my watch.

 

In any case, it means there's a lot more to the story than just this trailer suggests. It also means that there's going to be ton of visuals. It blows my mind what we may end up seeing. 

post #592 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

Hearing that BR2 clocks in at a bladder bursting 2 hours, 48 minutes.

 

40 minutes of which is caused by Leto's slow delivery, slow acting and dramatic pauses.

post #593 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post
 

 

40 minutes of which is caused by Leto's slow delivery, slow acting and dramatic pauses.

 

Personally, I thought that Leto was decent in that short film linked up above.  Those acting choices worked there, and I suspect that they will work just fine in the context of the actual film itself.

post #594 of 1173

But 40 minutes extra Judas, 40 MINUTES!

 

I'm only partially joking about Leto, he was fine in the short but unfortunately not enough for me to forget it was him.  I appreciate this is a failing on my part.

 

Him and Ewan Magregor (for some reason, not sure when that happened) are two actors who will actively put me off a movie.

post #595 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

Hearing that BR2 clocks in at a bladder bursting 2 hours, 48 minutes.

 

I find most long movies rarely justify their length, especially if they're genre flicks.  Always something that could've been cut.  The tendency these days is for long, epic run times on simple Hollywood genre movies for some reason. 

post #596 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post
 

But 40 minutes extra Judas, 40 MINUTES!

 

I'm only partially joking about Leto, he was fine in the short but unfortunately not enough for me to forget it was him.  I appreciate this is a failing on my part.

 

Him and Ewan Magregor (for some reason, not sure when that happened) are two actors who will actively put me off a movie.

 

I'm hit or miss on McGregor, so I hear you.

 

And Leto was terrible in SUICIDE SQUAD and amazing in DALLAS BUYER'S CLUB.  He's inconsistent but, when he's on, he's on.  I will withhold judgement on how he is in BR2 until I see the final product, but that short film gave me some confidence that he may be 'on', at least for me.

post #597 of 1173

Leto always has the same cold, dead eyes... like a doll's eyes... nothing going on behind them. Maybe the contacts will help improve his performance. And he reminds of a subdued Crispin Glover in the short, too.

 

The guy who did Morgan is Ridley's son, btw.

post #598 of 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomTastic View Post
 

Leto always has the same cold, dead eyes... like a doll's eyes... nothing going on behind them. Maybe the contacts will help improve his performance. And he reminds of a subdued Crispin Glover in the short, too.

 

The guy who did Morgan is Ridley's son, btw.

 

I stand by my assertion that he earned the hell out of his Oscar for DBC.  Regardless of the weight that he lost or overly going method with the role, he did a fantastic job of ACTING there.

post #599 of 1173

I didn't feel Leto's impact on Dallas Buyers Club. Nothing about it felt iconic. The film itself drags whenever McConaughey isn't onscreen. IMO, Jonah Hill earned it for Diamond Donnie Azoff.

 

His Suicide Squad "performance" made me never want to see him act again. I'm making an exception on this movie.

post #600 of 1173
I tried to be a LetoJoker apologist up until I saw Suicide Squad. Now I feel like I deserve an apology.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › BLADE RUNNER 2 Pre Release