CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › TERMINATOR: GENISYS Post Release Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TERMINATOR: GENISYS Post Release Thread - Page 15

post #701 of 866
It's the best mood to be in.
post #702 of 866
The opening scenes of pew pew bought some goodwill. Finally some purple lazer future war shit!

John3000 kept dragging the movie into the shitter but the leads were amusing enough. And JK Simmons could be in a remake of A Serbian Film and I'd watch it.
post #703 of 866

This movie proved that just giving people more future war really doesn't help.

post #704 of 866
Stop ragging on a future where giant machines still use human-sized bodies to drive human-conforming trucks like it's ridiculous or something!
post #705 of 866
Hey! Here's another movie that looks positively GOLDEN post ID:R!
post #706 of 866

That's how our standards keep slipping.

 

A steady stream of "well at least this bad thing from last year isn't as bad as this bad thing from this year!" 

 

and on and on and on...

post #707 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

That's how our standards keep slipping.

A steady stream of "well at least this bad thing from last year isn't as bad as this bad thing from this year!" 

and on and on and on...
Oh stop over analyzing everything Nooj
smile.gif! I enjoy empty spectacle movies in an empty spectacular way. They're there....I'm there....enjoyment usually happens.

My standards. My TRUE standards aren't slipping. There's a part of me that has a surprising amount of contempt for Hollywood because everything can't be as good as TRUE all-time favorites like The Third Man or No Country for Old Men or Ran. But one can't expect that level of artistry to come around often. It SHOULD. But it doesn't. So I enjoy the shit outta junk until they do..
post #708 of 866

Frank Miller's RoboCop vs. Terminator graphic novel, and I'm really not kidding here, is the only story to really take advantage of the limitless possibilities of a SkyNet-dominated Earth. 

 

The Terminators become truly bizarre and non-human in their conception, and at one point a fleet of Terminator ships (with building-sized skulls on the front) launch into space to conquer the galaxy.

 

That's the kind of gonzo thinking the movies keep holding themselves back from achieving.

 

Anyways, this movie lacked any kind of visceral punch. Something I really appreciated about Midnight Special, which I just watched, was the sound design and how gunshots (used sparingly in the movie) have a real gutpunch to them. The first two Terminator movies had that. Genysis sounds like BB guns. That's just one of its many problems.

post #709 of 866

Genisys is now available streaming on Amazon Prime.  Time to cancel Amazon Prime.

post #710 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Slim View Post

Stop ragging on a future where giant machines still use human-sized bodies to drive human-conforming trucks like it's ridiculous or something!


Even McG got that right in Terminator Salvation. All the vehicles were retrofitted to drive themselves! Because, you know, they were machines. 

post #711 of 866
Somewhere between Salvation and Genysis is a decent....something. Take the good points from each..
post #712 of 866
Salvation would have at least made a statement if they'd gone for the more radical ending.
post #713 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Slim View Post

Salvation would have at least made a statement if they'd gone for the more radical ending.


Salvation wasn't about nothing, though I guess you're right in that the movie would have been 10 times more interesting if it had explored the hybrid storyline to its full potential. 

post #714 of 866
I go back and forth on Genysis.

That doesn't mean I think we need any more Terminator movies though.

It's worth owning Genysis however just to have used that paper slipcover on Arjen during the Christmas exchange..
post #715 of 866
There were some cool ideas in the TV series that died when it was cancelled too. Some of them were better than what we got in these last sequels, but hey, gotta fear change and walk that path of highlight-reel nostalgia bait.
post #716 of 866

I particularly liked Sarah Connor Chronicles' idea of human travelers from alternate futures with conflicting agendas.

post #717 of 866
Me too. Dudes were tripping over each other looking for Terminators and having 12 Monkeys arguments over whose Apocalypse was more important.

The Machines had a PETA-like pro-organic faction too, IIRC.
post #718 of 866

Yeah, Chronicles is better than anything else that came after T2. They even pulled off a submarine episode.

post #719 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by millennium1 View Post
 

Genisys is now available streaming on Amazon Prime.  Time to cancel Amazon Prime.

 

For some reason I misread that as "steaming", which reminded me of just how much of a pile the movie was.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
 

Yeah, Chronicles is better than anything else that came after T2. They even pulled off a submarine episode.

 

Another series I liked cancelled too soon and left hanging with cliffhangers by Fox added to the list.  Grrr, VR 5, Strange Luck, Space: Above and Beyond, Firefly... grrr.

post #720 of 866
I'm baffled by the reception and reputation Genisys has. I don't think I can find anything salvageable in it, unlike the other sequels.
post #721 of 866

Geneshit does, what Nintenhoes don't.

post #722 of 866
Seems like this is merely what happens when you make a movie just to hold on to the rights. That, and the Connor family are the reason why nothing good or lasting will ever come from this series beyond the first two. It's down to catch phrases and variations on the same three or four characters.
post #723 of 866
Actually, what would be cool instead of a future war Terminator, is a post-war film where humans are rebuilding, but good old fashioned tribalism rears its head and a subset of survivors deploy human-controlled cyborgs and assorted machines against another group of survivors. Dump time travel. Dump Skynet. Make Terminator about what it's always been about: humans fucking each other over with a Pandora's Box of technology.
post #724 of 866

that would SCARE audiences!

 

"this isn't MY terminator!!!"

 

'haw!

post #725 of 866
Fine! Connor's great grandchildren will be the heroes, played by actors mo-capped to look like a young Linda Hamilton and Michael Biehn. Schwarzenegger's bastard will make an appearance as a Terminator who has daddy issues with Skynet.
post #726 of 866

(heavy breathing)

post #727 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Actually, what would be cool instead of a future war Terminator, is a post-war film where humans are rebuilding, but good old fashioned tribalism rears its head and a subset of survivors deploy human-controlled cyborgs and assorted machines against another group of survivors. Dump time travel. Dump Skynet. Make Terminator about what it's always been about: humans fucking each other over with a Pandora's Box of technology.
That actually sounds interesting.

We can't allow that.
post #728 of 866

I really miss The Chicago Code.

post #729 of 866

Anyone want to hear my silly idea for a Terminator sequel? I came up with this right after Salvation. 

 

The movie starts in Civil War days in America.  There's a flash of lightening, union soldiers head over to investigate. They find a naked man, unconscious in a hole in the ground. They bring him into the tent, where they proceed to interrogate him as he wakes up. The camera swishes around and it turns out to be -- Kyle Reese. 

 

In 2026, Reese had transported to another timeline after finding out that Skynet was sending not just Terminators but H-Ks and other deadly machines to a time where humanity is completely vulnerable and at war with each other.  Having long given up on its attempts to kill Connor and his kin, Skynet speeds up the processing of the time displacement field, all its resources going toward the theory of time travel itself. Now, it can send more than just living tissue.

 

Reese hopscotched across time to stop the assault. And over the course of several days, the Union and Confederate forces begin to understand a new enemy. Towards the second to third act, Reese ends up being the John Connor to a rag tag group of inexperienced freedom fighters in 1886 and, at the end, provides Connor with a larger Resistance when Reese convinces them to follow him into the future. 

 

Wouldn't you want to see Machines against ants with musket balls and canons?


Edited by Carnotaur3 - 7/3/16 at 8:24pm
post #730 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post
 

Anyone want to hear my silly idea for a Terminator sequel? I came up with this right after Salvation. 

 

The movie starts in Civil War days in America.  There's a flash of lightening, union soldiers head over to investigate. They find a naked man, unconscious in a hole in the ground. They bring him into the tent, where they proceed to interrogate him as he wakes up. The camera swishes around and it turns out to be -- Kyle Reese. 

 

In 2026, Reese had transported to another timeline after finding out that Skynet was sending not just Terminators but H-Ks and other deadly machines to a time where humanity is completely vulnerable and at war with each other.  Having long given up on its attempts to kill Connor and his kin, Skynet speeds up the processing of the time displacement field, all its resources going toward the theory of time travel itself. Now, it can send more than just living tissue.

 

Reese hopscotched across time to stop the assault. And over the course of several days, the Union and Confederate forces begin to understand a new enemy. Towards the second to third act, Reese ends up being the John Connor to a rag tag group of inexperienced freedom fighters in 1886 and, at the end, provides Connor with a larger Resistance when Reese convinces them to follow him into the future. 

Nice!

post #731 of 866
That is cool. I would totally watch that. BTW you should read Turtledove's Guns of the South (mysterious visitor provides Johnny Reb with AK-47s) as it's a similar idea that's pretty fun.

I'm sure there was a one-off comic in the 90's that had Terminator v. Cavemen.
post #732 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post
 

Anyone want to hear my silly idea for a Terminator sequel? I came up with this right after Salvation. 

 

The movie starts in Civil War days in America.  There's a flash of lightening, union soldiers head over to investigate. They find a naked man, unconscious in a hole in the ground. They bring him into the tent, where they proceed to interrogate him as he wakes up. The camera swishes around and it turns out to be -- Kyle Reese. 

 

In 2026, Reese had transported to another timeline after finding out that Skynet was sending not just Terminators but H-Ks and other deadly machines to a time where humanity is completely vulnerable and at war with each other.  Having long given up on its attempts to kill Connor and his kin, Skynet speeds up the processing of the time displacement field, all its resources going toward the theory of time travel itself. Now, it can send more than just living tissue.

 

Reese hopscotched across time to stop the assault. And over the course of several days, the Union and Confederate forces begin to understand a new enemy. Towards the second to third act, Reese ends up being the John Connor to a rag tag group of inexperienced freedom fighters in 1886 and, at the end, provides Connor with a larger Resistance when Reese convinces them to follow him into the future. 

 

Wouldn't you want to see Machines against ants with musket balls and canons?

 

I'd rather watch this treatment than anything else resembling Genysis. 

post #733 of 866

Finally saw this and thought it was...cute.

post #734 of 866
It is cute.
post #735 of 866

I agree.

post #736 of 866

I guess I'm not the only one.  :)

post #737 of 866
A cute ly bad
post #738 of 866
Cute pun!
post #739 of 866
Yes, adorbs.
post #740 of 866

post #741 of 866

Urgh.  I fast-forwarded through this a few weeks ago.  Still awful.

post #742 of 866
Eh, I'll still lightly defend it. It's certainly better (to me anyway) than either of the previous two...though not even CLOSE to the first two.

It's about as decent and harmless as one of the lesser Marvel movies...which fits, considering who directed it.

I can only imagine how much better it would've gone over if it HAD been the first one since T2...but they been fucking that up for years..
post #743 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

It's certainly better (to me anyway) than either of the previous two.

No, Salvation is decent.  I mean, it's not great, but it's at least doing something productive.  Finally the franchise had taken a step forward from it's mistakes, only to then give up and with Genisys lapse back into yet another remake of T2.  Now nothing makes sense anymore, and furthermore nobody cares.  I don't think it's Arnold's fault really, and to be fair I think he was the highlight of Genisys, but it's like he's just dragged the whole thing backwards.

post #744 of 866
Salvation seemed decent once upon a time. But it not getting followed up soured it on me somewhat.

Which is a weird thing to say because I'm almost 100% sure that this one isn't getting followed up either..
post #745 of 866
Genisys>Salvation.

Maybe not the Salvation script they botched, but in the telling Genny is the more amusing film.
post #746 of 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Slim View Post

Genisys>Salvation.

Maybe not the Salvation script they botched, but in the telling Genny is the more amusing film.

 

Marathoned the series recently and found myself coming to the same conclusion. Salvation felt like a real slog. Genisys may be stupid but it didn't drag.

post #747 of 866

I'm sort of enjoying this... But Jai Courtney is just.... Awful.  Just the worst.

post #748 of 866
How's Clarke for you? Can't stop Khaleesi-ing the joint up?
post #749 of 866
Which Clarke?
post #750 of 866
The lady one. You don't speak Dothraki?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › TERMINATOR: GENISYS Post Release Thread