CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Sports › 2016 NFL THREAD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016 NFL THREAD - Page 10

post #451 of 1931
Holy shit, Dak Prescott.

80 yard drive and a TD against LA's first team defense. Kid looks fierce.
post #452 of 1931
So the Rams want to extend 7-9 Jeff Fischer? The guy is the definition of mediocre.
post #453 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post

So the Rams want to extend 7-9 Jeff Fischer? The guy is the definition of mediocre.


The funniest part of the first episode of Hard Knocks is Jeff Fisher angrily saying he won't go 7-9. Even Jeff Fisher knows he's Jeff Fisher.

post #454 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

Holy shit, Dak Prescott.

80 yard drive and a TD against LA's first team defense. Kid looks fierce.

 

 

I had him pegged as a sleeper. It's tough to draw conclusions vs a vanilla defense in the first preseason game, but there are certainly worse ways to start out an NFL career. 

post #455 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post

So the Rams want to extend 7-9 Jeff Fischer? The guy is the definition of mediocre.

 

 

I think the way he started out - holding together the Houston/Tennessee team during a tough transition and eventually coaxing them to the SB - had people thinking he was REALLY good. 

 

Instead, that was his high point. Since then, he's been, as you say, mediocre. I think he's the definition of a MOR coach - he'll probably get the team to play around it's ability level, but as far as squeezing out an extra win or two by outscheming an opponent? Nah, that ain't going to happen. Of course, he's good enough where the team isn't going to crater out for no reason, either. 


He's one of those guys fans can't wait to get rid of, until they realize the GM is replacing him with Jack Del Rio or Mike Mularkey. 

post #456 of 1931

I watched/listened to the Texans/49ers. Does anyone really think CK was actually hurt so Gabbert was "forced" to start?

post #457 of 1931

Arm fatigue seemed like a paper-thin reason for him not participating, yeah.

post #458 of 1931

Schefter says that 2 sources told him Kaepernick has "a dead arm." That doesn't sound good.

SF's #3 apparently tore his ACL also.

post #459 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post
 

Schefter says that 2 sources told him Kaepernick has "a dead arm." That doesn't sound good.

 

We used to give each other dead arms in grade school. I take back my comment from earlier - that shit ain't nothin' to fuck with.

post #460 of 1931

DC recently had to release our last year's most promising rookie, CB Keyshoen Jarrett, because he wasn't healing from nerve damage to his shoulder taken in the regular season closer. Dead arm? As of a month ago he still couldn't peel a banana unassisted. So, yeah, here's hoping Kaep isn't dealing with something like that.

post #461 of 1931

That's incredibly sad about Jarrett. I doubt Kaep is dealing with anything near that level of intensity, though. It's probably just preseason bullshit, and Chip Kelly probably thinks he's working some smoke and mirrors.

post #462 of 1931

post #463 of 1931
Oh, right. Now I remember why football in LA sucks.
post #464 of 1931
They are going to be one of the top 5 worst fanbases by seasons end.

The other four being Philly, Chicago, New England and DC.
post #465 of 1931
LA is an ugly fucking city*. Lakers fans are insufferable, Kings fans are just fucking assholes who don't know a thing about hockey, and Dodgers fans are almost as big of pricks as their players are. I'll avoid Rams/Cardinals games just as much as I avoid Niners/Cardinals games. California fan bases just have no fucking clue how to conduct themselves.

*Sorry, Brad.
post #466 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmurdoch View Post

They are going to be one of the top 5 worst fanbases by seasons end.

The other four being Philly, Chicago, New England and DC.
Chicago? Nope. Might want to look at your own fanbase.
post #467 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post
 

Schefter says that 2 sources told him Kaepernick has "a dead arm." That doesn't sound good.
 

There's a masturbation joke in there somewhere.

 

But seriously, is that maybe why he went from so so hot right now to possibly terrible? That would make sense.

post #468 of 1931

As I was driving in this morning, Nashville sports radio was talking about Dorial Green-Beckham, and how he didn't really need to work much in the preseason because he was guaranteed a spot on the roster for at least a couple more years.

Titans just announced they traded DGB to the Eagles for a guard.

wut

post #469 of 1931

Yeah I just saw that trade flash by on the NFL mobile app. Ok then.

 

Ha ha and according to the article I read, the Eagles tried to get Boldin first (who signed with the Lions) and "settled" for DGB. Titans' GM gives it the ol' "...in the end we felt like this was the best decision for the team."

post #470 of 1931

I'm a Missouri Tigers fan and I can say, Dorial Green-Beckham has MAJOR issues.

post #471 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martianman View Post
 

 

But seriously, is that maybe why he went from so so hot right now to possibly terrible? That would make sense.

 

Never learning to read a defense doesn't help, either. 

post #472 of 1931

Anybody else watching Hard Knocks? There's a player on the Rams, Will Hayes, who doesn't believe in dinosaurs but DOES believe in mermaids. For that reason alone, I'm rooting against the Rams this season.

post #473 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post
 

Anybody else watching Hard Knocks? There's a player on the Rams, Will Hayes, who doesn't believe in dinosaurs but DOES believe in mermaids. For that reason alone, I'm rooting against the Rams this season.

 

It's pretty amazing, I don't think he understands the whole "past" thing at all.  Or animals.  Or mythology.

 

Will Leitch predicting Jacksonville takes their division, and I can't really argue with his logic:

 

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/196269240/afc-south-preview

post #474 of 1931

Leitch has the Titans going 3-13, which I don't think will happen. Of course, I have zero evidence to justify my optimism.

post #475 of 1931

I'm pulling for the Titans, I like Marioto, but I can't imagine them going more than 5 - 11.

post #476 of 1931
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post


Will Leitch predicting Jacksonville takes their division, and I can't really argue with his logic:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/196269240/afc-south-preview

STOP IT
post #477 of 1931

So the lawyer representing people suing the NFL for the HOF game debacle has ordered Goodell not to destroy his cell phone - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/18/lawyer-tells-roger-goodell-david-baker-to-preserve-their-cell-phones/

Ha!

post #478 of 1931

With Gawker Media sold, and Magary pretty much already out the door, this could be our last year of Why Your Team Sucks.  I think I look forward to WYTS more than the actual football season.

post #479 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post
 

With Gawker Media sold, and Magary pretty much already out the door, this could be our last year of Why Your Team Sucks.  I think I look forward to WYTS more than the actual football season.

Me too, the one on the Bills today was great.

It sounds like Gawker itself is the only one of the sites shutting down, so hopefully he'll be able to finish the series.

post #480 of 1931

Hopefully!  They have been deliciously brutal this year. 

 

I'm too optimistic about the Seahawks this year, and need WYTS to bring me down.

post #481 of 1931

Kicker Josh Brown suspended one game for domestic violence. According to his wife, he's beaten her over 20 times. Good grief.

post #482 of 1931

Geeze, that's awful.

 

I was going to segue into a joke about Seattle's O-line, but that's poor taste, even for me.

post #483 of 1931
Tony Romo is going to play tonight.

Get on it, Cowboys fans. The window of opportunity to see Romo play only stays open for so long, each year.
post #484 of 1931
post #485 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavez View Post
 

Gary Barnidge is ONE OF US ONE OF US GABBA GABBA

 

https://theringer.com/cleveland-browns-tight-end-gary-barnidge-movies-a1c4673bcd7e#.y6l6jhgak


Proudest moment as a Browns fan since that game they came back against the Titans on the road.

Speaking of, watching the Titans face the Panthers now. Matt Cassel is useless. Thankfully, Mariota could get snapped like a twig at any time. (drinks)

post #486 of 1931

Todd Marinovich, the Manziel before Manziel was born, was arrested in somebody's yard naked with some meth. He's 47 now, and he looks 80.

post #487 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post
 

Todd Marinovich, the Manziel before Manziel was born, was arrested in somebody's yard naked with some meth. He's 47 now, and he looks 80.

 

 

Aw.

 

 

He had his issues in the past; I generally dislike schadenfreude and this is a case where he seemed to have more or less slayed that dragon, so this makes me sad. There's a great 30 for 30 on him. 

post #488 of 1931

I've seen the 30 for 30, as well. This is just depressing.

post #489 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post
 

Todd Marinovich, the Manziel before Manziel was born, was arrested in somebody's yard naked with some meth. He's 47 now, and he looks 80.

 

You aint kidding.  Poor guy looks like Lance Henricksen, if Lance Henrickson had died ten years ago.

 

At least the Seahawks have put last years disastrous preseason drama behind them...

 

Quote:
 Michael Bennett: ‘Dirty plays’ have led to fights in Seahawks practice
 

 

Damnit!

post #490 of 1931
Quote:

 Prince died. Blair missed the kick.

 

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2016-minnesota-vikings-1785695904

 

I learned Minnesota tried to generate revenue from e-pulltabs, and the Viking's owner is Walugi.  I knew he was a crook, I just didn't know he was actually Walugi.

post #491 of 1931
The Vikings "Why Your Team Sucks" may have been the best one yet. Such mediocrity for so long. Love the fan comments.
post #492 of 1931
I love not seeing Daily Fantasy ads every commercial break. Did they all get shut down or was it just in states where the AGs went after them?
post #493 of 1931
Thread Starter 
post #494 of 1931

 

What did I say?

post #495 of 1931
Romo is a very likable guy, but he's made out of glass and I don't see how anyone thinks Dallas can win a super bowl with him as their quarterback.

I've been watching Hard Knocks and somehow I find it a lot more enjoyable this year than in years past, though I admit even though the rams have returned to my hometown there doesn't seem to be anyone on this team I care to root for.

And though I don't disagree about Jeff Fisher being a mediocre head coach, the guy has also never had an elite or even top ten QB to work with.
post #496 of 1931
Please don't make excuses for Jeff Fisher. Lovie Smith never had a QB worth a damn and he managed more .500 or better seasons in his Bears tenure than Fischer has in his career. Fisher blows. Always has, always will.
post #497 of 1931
Thread Starter 

Steve McNair was pretty damn good.

post #498 of 1931

Steve McNair was elite for a few years there, which coincided with the Titans being pretty damn good.

 

And who cares about Lovie Smith.  What does that have to do with Jeff Fisher?

post #499 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Class 782 View Post

Steve McNair was elite for a few years there, which coincided with the Titans being pretty damn good.

And who cares about Lovie Smith.  What does that have to do with Jeff Fisher?
He's another coach who had no QB yet still managed to get to .500 or better. You can win in this league with less than great QB play. You just have to be great in other areas. Lovie sucked at getting the offense together but he got his defense and special teams to greatness which led to winning seasons. Now I'm glad he's gone because I want more than just a few winning seasons.
Jeff Fisher couldn't get anything right. He doesn't deserve to be a coach in the league. Not having a QB is not an excuse for not getting to .500.
post #500 of 1931

Managing to almost get to .500 is Jeff Fisher's entire reason for existing. His greatest skill as a coach is his ability to keep his job. To borrow a phrase from Nathan Rabin, it's truly a "shitty miracle."

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Sports › 2016 NFL THREAD