CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Sports › 2016 MLB Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016 MLB Thread - Page 3

post #101 of 166

I wish it had gone five, but you can't complain about how entertaining those four games were.  If the Nats beat the Dodgers all will be good with baseball.  A Cleveland Chicago series would be pretty great.

post #102 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post

The lasting image for me will be Romo's grinning face and hop leaving the mound after failing in the final game of the season (not the first time he seemed bemused at his own failure this year). Thanks for the great work in 2012 and 2014 Sergio, now don't let the door hit you on the way out!

 

The lasting image for me is Moore sitting in the dugout in the 9th instead of on the mound. Pitch counts be damned, he was dealing. Put him out there for the 9th. If he lets a runner on then yank him.

 

I'm not gonna get too ticked at Romo. Without him the last couple weeks they don't get to the postseason. Who disappointed me the most was Lopez. He just doesn't get the lefties out like he used to. Seems like a class guy but I think his run is done.

 

Now it's all about getting rid of the Dodgers. Make it happen, Dusty.

post #103 of 166

I know Bochy had all those arms at his disposal and was playing the matchups, but in general I never like it when a manager doesn't give a closer a clean inning to start with (unless it's to get the final out of the 8th.)  I'd rather have him try to work out of his own jam in the 9th than someone else's.

post #104 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post
 

 

The lasting image for me is Moore sitting in the dugout in the 9th instead of on the mound. Pitch counts be damned, he was dealing. Put him out there for the 9th. If he lets a runner on then yank him.

 

I'm not gonna get too ticked at Romo. Without him the last couple weeks they don't get to the postseason. Who disappointed me the most was Lopez. He just doesn't get the lefties out like he used to. Seems like a class guy but I think his run is done.

 

 

Yeah, it's definitely fair to criticize taking Moore out. But he hasn't been an ace, and if he puts someone on, you've made the job harder for that beleaguered bullpen. It's three out before three (make that four) runs. 

 

And I'm not on Romo for blowing it (twice). I'm on him for looking like he was amused by the whole thing. Lots of Giants players had down years, and even more had down second halves. But only one had to hide his grin as left the field after failing.

 

I want to say Romo, Casilla and Lopez are all FAs now. I agree that Lopez looks ineffective, and Casilla's not a viable closer. But of the three, Romo's the only one I don't want to see back under any circumstances. More than anything these Giants teams have been characterized by groups of guys who buy all-in on the team. Romo's looking like too much of Brian Wilson has rubbed off on him.

post #105 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
 

I know Bochy had all those arms at his disposal and was playing the matchups, but in general I never like it when a manager doesn't give a closer a clean inning to start with (unless it's to get the final out of the 8th.)  I'd rather have him try to work out of his own jam in the 9th than someone else's.

Well, that's the thing. We didn't have a closer. We had a bunch of mediocre relievers.

 

Personally, I've always felt that the closer is a losing role, as your best pitchers should be used the FIRST time the game is on the line, not saved for later when it might not matter. But "bullpen by committee" can only work if the committee is quality. This year, the Giants had the pu-pu platter.

post #106 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post

I want to say Romo, Casilla and Lopez are all FAs now. I agree that Lopez looks ineffective, and Casilla's not a viable closer. But of the three, Romo's the only one I don't want to see back under any circumstances. More than anything these Giants teams have been characterized by groups of guys who buy all-in on the team. Romo's looking like too much of Brian Wilson has rubbed off on him.

 

Yep, all 3 are FAs. Casilla and Lopez are gone. Romo is iffy. Maybe on a one year deal? I don't know. Too hard to judge so soon after tonight's events.

 

Peavy and Pagan are also off the books, Blanco as well for whatever that's worth. Aside from the pen they need power. Especially right-handed power. Cespedes will opt out of his deal and I'd love to see the Giants pony up the dough for him. Though the more traditional "Giants" move would be to sign Brandon Moss for a year and let him platoon with Mac Williamson.

post #107 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post
 

 

Yep, all 3 are FAs. Casilla and Lopez are gone. Romo is iffy. Maybe on a one year deal? I don't know. Too hard to judge so soon after tonight's events.

 

Peavy and Pagan are also off the books, Blanco as well for whatever that's worth. Aside from the pen they need power. Especially right-handed power. Cespedes will opt out of his deal and I'd love to see the Giants pony up the dough for him. Though the more traditional "Giants" move would be to sign Brandon Moss for a year and let him platoon with Mac Williamson.

 

Wasn't Casilla the lowest paid of the three? I suspect they're all gone due to their asking prices being well above their value.

 

Left field's really the only easy place to upgrade, unless there's a hot-hitting catcher available to let Posey move to first, as his late-season power drop-off is an annual event at this point. But it's probably easier to find a unicorn than a catcher that would be worth making that move.

 

They also may need to do a new deal w/ Cueto. He can opt-out, and should. He can easily demand more money. But I'm not sure where that'll put their LF budget.

post #108 of 166

Cueto can opt out after next season, he'll be back for '17.

 

You might be right about Romo. Hard to gauge. The smile thing when taken out is a tired act.

 

Posey is not going to first anytime soon. They gave Belt a nice contract and for the time being he'll be at first. Belt was money the first half but fell off the cliff the second. You could move Belt to left and Posey to first but like you said no catcher is gonna be better on offense than even a struggling Posey.

post #109 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post
 

Cueto can opt out after next season, he'll be back for '17.

 

 

Ah, ok. My point's the same in that case, since they'd better be planning on giving Cueto a sack of money, then watching him grab it, pause, shimmy backwards, and quickly grab for another sack of money.

post #110 of 166

Loved watching Cueto pitch this season. The Giants are mostly a very workmanlike team so the bits of flash he adds are a lot of fun.

 

That being said after next season he'll be 31. Still in his prime but on the back end. If another team wants to pay him more than what he'd get on his current deal with the Giants, not to mention give him an extra year or two beyond his Giants deal, then I wouldn't be too upset if he decides to opt out.

post #111 of 166
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

I know Bochy had all those arms at his disposal and was playing the matchups, but in general I never like it when a manager doesn't give a closer a clean inning to start with (unless it's to get the final out of the 8th.)  I'd rather have him try to work out of his own jam in the 9th than someone else's.
That's the problem I had with the Cubs 8th yesterday. Wood puts a runner on and Rondon comes in. Rondon isn't use to coming in with runners on as a former closer. Then he does the same with Chapman. Rondon is a former closer so the righty/lefty thing should not apply. And it's not like the lefty up was Joey Votto-that I can understand trying to play the matchup.
post #112 of 166

Javy owned this series.  My god he was everywhere.  

post #113 of 166

Ugh.  I fuckin' hate the Dodgers.  Your guys better win.

post #114 of 166

Dammit Werth, you gotta get that run home. Boogers.

post #115 of 166
Thread Starter 
If the Dodgers lead heading into the 9th who closes it out?

All the managers are trigger happy with their bullpens. RP sometimes gat a runner on
And get out of it. Some overthinking going on in every series.
post #116 of 166

That was a good move. Sometimes the save is needed in the seventh. Maybe (hopefully) it backfires but you gotta manage differently in games like this.

post #117 of 166

Well, here's something.

post #118 of 166

Okay Cubs, don't choke. The Dodgers must go down and they must go down hard.

post #119 of 166
I have no idea there's so many Dodgers haters in this forum. Dodgers may be the underdog but they have persevered throughout the season; I have no doubt that they can prevail against the Cubs and advance to the World Series.
post #120 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger Management View Post

I have no idea there's so many Dodgers haters in this forum. Dodgers may be the underdog but they have persevered throughout the season; I have no doubt that they can prevail against the Cubs and advance to the World Series.

 

I mean, there are a couple Giants fans prominent in this forum.  And me?  I just hate the Dodgers.  Same reason I hate the Yankees.

post #121 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

I mean, there are a couple prominent Giants fans in this forum.  And me?  I just hate the Dodgers.  Same reason I hate the Yankees.

Yankees I can understand, but why the Dodgers?
post #122 of 166

As I said, same reason as the Yankees.  I don't hate the Yankees because they won so much.  I hate the Yankees because they automatically can have a higher payroll and attract big free agents easier than other teams.  And sure, they'd be crazy not to use that to their advantage, but it doesn't mean I have to root for them.  Dodgers are the exact same way.  Everyone loves to go to L.A., and they have had the highest payroll for at least the last couple years, and it's always way up there.

 

ETA- And also, in the interest of full disclosure, since you asked, while I am primarily a Chicago sports fan, I did live for most of my childhood/young adulthood in Northern California.  So while I am not a Giants fan per se, I definitely have the hatred of all L.A. teams thing in my blood.

post #123 of 166

The Dodgers, year after year, always manage to field a roster full of players with the most punchable faces. Chase Utley, just look at that guy. Look at him. What cause could anyone have to cheer for him?

 

I'm rooting hard for the Cubs but I gotta bad feeling about this series. Dodgers finally have a manager who is willing to toss the book out when managing big games.

post #124 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

As I said, same reason as the Yankees.  I don't hate the Yankees because they won so much.  I hate the Yankees because they automatically can have a higher payroll and attract big free agents easier than other teams.  And sure, they'd be crazy not to use that to their advantage, but it doesn't mean I have to root for them.  Dodgers are the exact same way.  Everyone loves to go to L.A., and they have had the highest payroll for at least the last couple years, and it's always way up there.

Well, Dodgers had to suffer through the Fox and McCourt ownership years, and they have a pretty long drought (since '88). They have a high payroll now but a lot of the money are paid to players who are no longer with the team. If money is no issue then they would have kept Grinke or go after a high priced pitcher like Sale before the deadline.
post #125 of 166

I dunno, Molt.  I think Dave Roberts deserved to lose that game.

 

Too bad he was going up against Dusty Baker, who deserves to lose every game.

post #126 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post

The Dodgers, year after year, always manage to field a roster full of players with the most punchable faces. Chase Utley, just look at that guy. Look at him. What cause could anyone have to cheer for him?

I'm rooting hard for the Cubs but I gotta bad feeling about this series. Dodgers finally have a manager who is willing to toss the book out when managing big games.

Well, the most hated player in MLB should be Bumgarner; I just can't stand him although I know he's the best player on the Giants roster.
post #127 of 166

The best postseason performers garner so much respect it cancels out their assholeness.  Look at MJ and Kobe.

post #128 of 166

Dusty is a favorite, but yeah, no manager has mastered the art of mismanaging late innings like he has.

 

Roberts' moves last night could have blown up in his face but just the fact that he's willing to mix it up gives me the bad feeling that he has a good pulse on what is needed to win. Their offense and especially their bullpen is also way better than it has been in years.

 

People always say game 3 or game 5 is the key game of a 7 game series. For this one I'm saying it's game 1. The pitching match-up is going to favor the Cubs. If somehow they drop that game at home I see them folding fast.

post #129 of 166

Dammit, Cubs. You have me rooting for a team that hasn't won since the invention of RADIO, and then if the Dodgers win I have to root for a team that hasn't won since before Rock n Roll existed.

post #130 of 166
Indiana are winning it al. I know they lost today but they look really though to beat. Plus it's destiny the cavaliers won so it makes sense that the Indians win as well. Right?
post #131 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
 

Dammit, Cubs. You have me rooting for a team that hasn't won since the invention of RADIO, and then if the Dodgers win I have to root for a team that hasn't won since before Rock n Roll existed.

 

It's only 2-1 but yes this is frustrating. Cubs have no fire at all. Don't strike me as a team that is gonna rise up against adversity.

post #132 of 166
If the cubs can't beat a 20 year rookie they are done! This series ain't going back to Chicago..
post #133 of 166

Fellas in the replay booth are sure pulling for the Cubs.

post #134 of 166
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post

It's only 2-1 but yes this is frustrating. Cubs have no fire at all. Don't strike me as a team that is gonna rise up against adversity.
Adversity-like being down 5-2 in the 9th in game 4 to the Giants?
post #135 of 166
Be serious. No team hitting against the Giants bullpen faced adversity this season.
post #136 of 166

Kershaw gets two outs against the Nats and pitches one good game against the Cubs and all of a sudden the guy's Bumgarner?  Guess not.

post #137 of 166

So it's really going to happen... Cubs v Indians.

 

I'm not sure I'd take a free ticket to that series... I mean the odds of an asteroid hitting the stadium have gone up by 10000%

post #138 of 166

So does just getting to the series break the curse of the billy goat?

post #139 of 166
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

So does just getting to the series break the curse of the billy goat?
Yes. The curse was either no more WS games at Wrigley or never get to the Series again.
post #140 of 166

So Pete Rose sang Pearl Jam and then did an impression of a helicopter.  Forget the Hall of Fame, give that man an Emmy!

post #141 of 166

Crazy to think Schwarber is the Cubs all-time postseason home run leader.

post #142 of 166
Thread Starter 
Yes and no. Pre 1920 guys really didn't hit HR's so that knocks out a bunch of WS appearances. From 46-84 they never made the playoffs. And from 85-2014 they sucked while in the playoffs.

I say Schwarber goes deep tonight.
post #143 of 166
Close there.
post #144 of 166
Why the fuck are not one of these weekend games a day game? Does tradition mean nothing anywhere anymore? Seems like it would be a no brainer to market a day game at Wrigley for this series.
post #145 of 166
1. Ad money
2. Ratings
3. Football
post #146 of 166
Exactly,. As much as I would love to see a World Series game under the sun, those days are long gone.
post #147 of 166

Pfft, they're day games for some of us! Game two started at four in the afternoon!

post #148 of 166
So Cubs fans if they don't win the World Series, which it's looking like, is merely a trip to the WS considered a success?
post #149 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Buff View Post

So Cubs fans if they don't win the World Series, which it's looking like, is merely a trip to the WS considered a success?

 

For Cubs fans it's all about breaking the drought that started back in 1908. I doubt a trip would suffice for them if they don't win it all.

post #150 of 166

I'm not a Cubs fan, but I have plenty of friends and family that are lifelong members of that club.  This season is a success.  It is a team that is both very  young, and very talented.  There are no guarantees in baseball, but they have every opportunity to get back.  It's disappointing in the sense that they were the best team all year, and  I do  think it would be a bitter pill to lose game 5 at Wrigley.  But if they make this a six or seven* game series, they were right there, they just ran into a hotter team.  The 1908 thing wasn't the only drought.  After 71 years, just getting there was a big deal.  In terms of lore, the Curse of the Billy Goat should be over just by having a World Series at Wrigley, as Anya pointed out earlier.

 

* Watch out if that happens.  Bats may come alive with momentum and against Kluber on a second instance of short rest.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Sports › 2016 MLB Thread