CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › Zack Snyder & Joss Whedon's JUSTICE LEAGUE (2017) Pre-Release Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Zack Snyder & Joss Whedon's JUSTICE LEAGUE (2017) Pre-Release Discussion

post #1 of 5612
Thread Starter 
Fuck you.
post #2 of 5612

Is that a statement from Zack Snyder in the press release?

post #3 of 5612

Given that it was supposed to start filming today, I'm surprised there hasn't been an official press release yet.

post #4 of 5612
Thread Starter 
Larry Fong is out as dp due to "scheduling conflicts ", Fabian Wagner is doing it.

If Snyder keeps his job, the leash will be very, very short.
post #5 of 5612
Wild. I didn't think they could swap out DPs so close to production, since they work closely with the other departments during pre-production.
post #6 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Larry Fong is out as dp due to "scheduling conflicts ", Fabian Wagner is doing it.

If Snyder keeps his job, the leash will be very, very short.

Literally had no idea who Wagner was, so looked him up.  Turns out he was the cinematographer for all of S2 of Sherlock and the Hardhome episode of GoT (among several GoT episodes, including the concluding episodes of this coming season).  Still, mostly a TV dude, so hopefully he really brings his A-game.

post #7 of 5612
Thread Starter 
It would be somewhat amusing to me if Warner Bros. is firing Snyder piecemeal and the next thing we hear is that he also has "scheduling conflicts" and Miguel Sapochnik, the director of the Hardhome episode, will be his replacement.
post #8 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Wild. I didn't think they could swap out DPs so close to production, since they work closely with the other departments during pre-production.

Great. They removed the one thing I was looking forward to.  

post #9 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

It would be somewhat amusing to me if Warner Bros. is firing Snyder piecemeal and the next thing we hear is that he also has "scheduling conflicts" and Miguel Sapochnik, the director of the Hardhome episode, will be his replacement.
I dunno, I think if they were gonna sack Snyder they would have done it by now.

I'm most curious about how quickly into the movie they bring back Superman and based off BvS reaction...how quickly they turn him into the 2nd coming of Chris Reeve.
post #10 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul755 View Post


I dunno, I think if they were gonna sack Snyder they would have done it by now.

I'm most curious about how quickly into the movie they bring back Superman and based off BvS reaction...how quickly they turn him into the 2nd coming of Chris Reeve.

If Zack didn't do it after Man of Steel, why the fuck would he do it in Justice League?  Why would he do ANYTHING but mangle these characters in his own special way?  They're rewarded him with a blockbuster for shitting the bed twice now.  

post #11 of 5612
The dark cloud that must be hanging over this production as it starts is amazing. The set must be a barrel of monkeys!


Dead, festering monkeys. With sores.
post #12 of 5612

So...  I've sure you're all very motivated by the fact that everyone hated everything but Ben...  Ready for a few months of grueling long work days?!

post #13 of 5612

I could see WB approaching Affleck to direct after the first week if dailies aren't up to par. 

post #14 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

If Zack didn't do it after Man of Steel, why the fuck would he do it in Justice League?  Why would he do ANYTHING but mangle these characters in his own special way?  They're rewarded him with a blockbuster for shitting the bed twice now.  
Big difference is MoS didn't garner nearly the hate BvS did. I think the studio forces a change using his resurrection as a chance to reboot. Maybe I'm naive. Only time will tell.

I mean, I liked MoS but I fully expected at the very least a live action version of the animated Superman in BvS.
post #15 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul755 View Post


Big difference is MoS didn't garner nearly the hate BvS did. I think the studio forces a change using his resurrection as a chance to reboot. Maybe I'm naive. Only time will tell.

I mean, I liked MoS but I fully expected at the very least a live action version of the animated Superman in BvS.

That's what I expected to.  What a perfect chance in the ashes of Man Of Steel to make Clark's story all about finding the "Superman" within himself, proving himself as a genuine hero.  But Zack just doesn't care about the comics character, he likes his passive, angsty, "real world" flawed whiner better.  He thinks sincerity is cheesy and stupid.  Man of Steel didn't garner as much hate you're right, but there was still a lot of noise about Zack's Superman.

post #16 of 5612
True, which is why I think the studio forces him to change it, left to his own devices your right we'd get an even mopier Superman.

The noise about Superman in MoS came mostly from him killing Zod and allowing the destruction. And that could have been undone in BvS but wasn't.
post #17 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by millennium1 View Post
 

I could see WB approaching Affleck to direct after the first week if dailies aren't up to par. 


The thing is, to his credit, Snyder shoots a beautiful frame, i.e. pretty pictures, so I can where dailies out of context would make one think that the film has the goods.

Unfortunately, Snyder has proven inept in tying all these pretty pictures together with anything resembling compelling, coherent storytelling (although you could say that that is also a failure of the editing process.....).

And it seems that he wouldn't know a great script, if it bit him on the nose.

It's basically the knock against all these Directors that came from shooting commercials, except of course David Fincher or Ridley Scott.

post #18 of 5612

Am I missing something with the "BvS is a massive box office failure" story? It's made a couple hundred million in profits after 2 weeks. Somebody fill in the blanks for me.

post #19 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Tremaine View Post

 

And it seems that he wouldn't know a great script, if it bit him on the nose.

It's pretty clear at this point that Snyder either doesn't read the scripts or doesn't care.  

post #20 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
 

Am I missing something with the "BvS is a massive box office failure" story? It's made a couple hundred million in profits after 2 weeks. Somebody fill in the blanks for me.

 

Because it hasn't and likely won't during its initial release. It's heading for a 2 multiplier domestically, its international share is less than most comic book movies in recent years, and it has no markets left to get into. It's not a massive box office failure, but it is far below where they needed it to be and where they expected it to be.

 

ETA: Not to mention that you don't want our franchise starter to eke its way past the goal line. You want it to run through the endzone, through the marching band, and jump into the bleachers. If BvS turns a profit during its release it will be by a few finger tips.


Edited by MikeI - 4/11/16 at 8:13pm
post #21 of 5612

To put it simply, WB is expecting to make less profit on BvS than they did on the underperforming Man of Steel.  

post #22 of 5612
BvS underperforming makes me very happy.
post #23 of 5612
I love it no matter how it performs.

That's what real love is!
post #24 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

I love it no matter how it performs.

That's what real love is!

 

And how many ex girlfriends have used that line on you? Be honest.

post #25 of 5612
Thread Starter 
The underperformance of the film doesn't make me happy at all because it's doing exactly what I expected it to do and being critically savaged slightly more than I expected it to be.

I get nothing out of not being the least bit surprised.
post #26 of 5612
Sight unseen, I expected a competent movie featuring Batman and Superman to approach $500M domestic.
post #27 of 5612
"Competent" is apparently an extremely far-reaching word in this case. From a technical standpoint, it was surely competently made.

Not much else, though.
post #28 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil spurn View Post

"Competent" is apparently an extremely far-reaching word in this case. From a technical standpoint, it was surely competently made.

Not much else, though.

I dunno about even about giving it that.  The editing in the first half is pretty damn rough.

post #29 of 5612

They should get David Ayer to take over. Everyone seems to be pleased with what he's delivered, the trailers for Suicide Squad look fun, and a number of the actors on that movie have talked about how much they enjoyed working with him (something I don't remember any of the BvS cast saying about Snyder).

post #30 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

They should get David Ayer to take over. Everyone seems to be pleased with what he's delivered, the trailers for Suicide Squad look fun, and a number of the actors on that movie have talked about how much they enjoyed working with him (something I don't remember any of the BvS cast saying about Snyder).

I'm cautiously optimistic, but clearly you're not aware of Ayer's bad tendencies. 

 

Watch Sabotage.  

post #31 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
 

I'm cautiously optimistic, but clearly you're not aware of Ayer's bad tendencies. 

 

Watch Sabotage.  

 

Oh, I'm aware (I HATED End Of Watch) but there's no escaping the fact that Suicide Squad is looking like it might be the movie which BvS was not. If that movie turns out to be the better of the two, I'd rather have him at the reigns than Snyder.

post #32 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

 

Oh, I'm aware (I HATED End Of Watch) but there's no escaping the fact that Suicide Squad is looking like it might be the movie which BvS was not. If that movie turns out to be the better of the two, I'd rather have him at the reigns than Snyder.

I want somebody really good who doesn't have a spotty ass track record like Ayer or Snyder.  

post #33 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
 

I want somebody really good who doesn't have a spotty ass track record like Ayer or Snyder.  

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 75

 

I know there are a million and one reasons why he wouldn't do it.  Doesn't stop me from wishing it into existence through sheer willpower.

post #34 of 5612
It couldn't be any worse, even if he misfires!
post #35 of 5612

Miller being hailed as a potential savior for the DC franchise is the ultimate irony, considering how widely derided its JLA project was in online circles at the time. What a difference a few years make.

post #36 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Larry Fong is out as dp due to "scheduling conflicts ", Fabian Wagner is doing it.

If Snyder keeps his job, the leash will be very, very short.

 

I'm reading that as good news. I quite liked the aesthetics of MAN OF STEEL, the early snippets felt like Snyder was pushing himself into new directions as a filmmaker. I know people love the visuals of BvS (which I haven't seen) but I really don't like that kind of soundstage-y 90s superhero film look. 

 

And it's going to be interesting how the production of JL will alter Snyder's looks, since he visually aged a few decades during the making of BvS.

post #37 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunt View Post
 

Miller being hailed as a potential savior for the DC franchise is the ultimate irony, considering how widely derided its JLA project was in online circles at the time. What a difference a few years make.

 

Was it derided that much?  I always thought the main issue people had was having two different Batmen with wildly different tones in theatres at the same time?  The rest sounded pretty damn good to me.

 

But things HAVE changed a lot since then.  Now we have two wildly different versions of The Flash, live-action AND animated Spidey movies coming out.  And Miller just coming off of one of the best films of 2015 instead of Happy Feet.

post #38 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post
 

 

Was it derided that much?  I always thought the main issue people had was having two different Batmen with wildly different tones in theatres at the same time?  The rest sounded pretty damn good to me.

 

From what I remember, yes. People didn't just hate the idea of having another Batman that wasn't Bale, the rest of the cast was also mocked for skewing too young and being mostly comprised of unknowns, and Miller was coming off of Happy Feet so the main trust "why the fuck is a guy who does kiddie shit with singing penguins touching our superheroes grrrrrrr".

 

It was rather disheartening at the time when you thought that Miller doing JLA was a perfect match of director and material to see the fanboy nation being pretty much unanimously against the project.

post #39 of 5612
I was against it too, though mostly because I thought it would deprive us of seeing Christian Bale and Brand Routh unite on screen. I wasn't against the choice of Miller, since I thought MAD MAX 2 was badass enough.
post #40 of 5612

George Miller might be a favorite in fan circles for JL Part 2, but from a realistic standpoint, I'm not sure why'd he'd agree to do it all.  

 

What the success of Happy Feet did give him is, that he now basically runs his own Zemeckis-style mini production studio from Australia and he does his own thing.  I'm not sure why'd he agree to parachute in mid-point on what was started by another filmmaker (Snyder) and fix a big studio's mess.

post #41 of 5612
Guys, remember how everyone was unsure about Ben Affleck as Batman then they ended up liking him the most (when he was wasn't killing everyone)? Well, now everyone's unsure about Zack Snyder. It stands to reason we'll end up liking his direction the most!

I have other good theories.
post #42 of 5612
Nobody's unsure about Snyder. We know he's a meatheaded hack with delusions of grandeur. What we're unsure of is how many critically-revlied box-office underperformers it will take for the studio to realize that.
post #43 of 5612

I'm still not sure about Bradito, y'know.

post #44 of 5612
I'll prove myself yet!
post #45 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Tremaine View Post
 

George Miller might be a favorite in fan circles for JL Part 2, but from a realistic standpoint, I'm not sure why'd he'd agree to do it all.  

 

What the success of Happy Feet did give him is, that he now basically runs his own Zemeckis-style mini production studio from Australia and he does his own thing.  I'm not sure why'd he agree to parachute in mid-point on what was started by another filmmaker (Snyder) and fix a big studio's mess.

 

If you mean Doctor D Studios, it closed down in 2013 after the failure of Happy Feet 2 and Fury Road being delayed.

post #46 of 5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunt View Post
 

 

If you mean Doctor D Studios, it closed down in 2013 after the failure of Happy Feet 2 and Fury Road being delayed.

 

Well, there we go; maybe now he's looking for a big studio teat to suckle on, who knows.

post #47 of 5612
Synders work in batman v superman can't even be complimented without several clarifications first. The cinematography is beauty... In a sound stagey phony way. The images are gorgeous, but they're in service of nonsense like superman saving people while he glowers in misery. Batman is great! Except for the fact that his suit looks stuffed like a bra, he's extremely stupid and paranoid and he kills people.
post #48 of 5612
Willem Dafoe cast as a non-villian
post #49 of 5612
Willem DeAlly?
post #50 of 5612

Ganthet.

 

(Just a guess)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › Zack Snyder & Joss Whedon's JUSTICE LEAGUE (2017) Pre-Release Discussion