CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › Ghost in the Shell: Hollywood Complex.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ghost in the Shell: Hollywood Complex. - Page 13

post #601 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Slim View Post

Yeah, whenever I go see a blues band at the local bar, if the singer mentions how his woman left him or someone slides a guitar with a bottle, I spit at them and leave.

 

I think this is a conflation of formula with design, though someone with more formal film education can (and should) correct my terminology.

 

I don't mind formula, whether it's lovingly adhered to or creatively explored. I do mind supporting details being regurgitated elements that reference a lot of shit we've already seen, simply because it's popular and cool without bring something new to it.

 

I hope for the more positive minded folks here this turns out to be a good surprise for everyone. I'd be glad to eat my cynicism if that's the case.

post #602 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post
 

Enjoy your whitewashed, watered down American appropriated live action anime then!

 

It might be a half decent cyberpunk movie as well, don't forget.  We haven't really had one of those in a while, especially not a big budget one.  We cyberpunk fans of old don't really have high expectations to begin with.

 

It's actually a little surreal to watch the clips and see all these essentially 80s and 90s ideas not only realised in a fancy way but knowing that, finally, a lot of this stuff does seem to be right around the corner.

post #603 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
 

 

It might be a half decent cyberpunk movie as well, don't forget.  We haven't really had one of those in a while, especially not a big budget one.  We cyberpunk fans of old don't really have high expectations to begin with.

 

It's actually a little surreal to watch the clips and see all these essentially 80s and 90s ideas not only realised in a fancy way but knowing that, finally, a lot of this stuff does seem to be right around the corner.



If by "a lot of this stuff", you mean a broken, socially stratified dystopia where human life is treated as nothing more than a bar code, a wallet and a very small piece of a mammoth, corrupt laisezz faire corporate machine that's wrested control of the world from nation states and their governments thus doing away with notions such as democracy and even basic human civil liberties and freedom while dazzling the subjugated with flashy digital lies and propaganda to keep them malleable and asleep - then yes, yes it does seem to be right around the corner.

 

So many cyberpunk fans don't see the genre as the warning it was intended as.

post #604 of 649

Yeah but mirror shades and neon...

post #605 of 649

Exactly!  It's so edgy and cool and I don't have to be a pasty nerd any more because I can learn kung fu in a second and get robot arms to defeat my enemies!

 

It's true though;  real social conscience is almost conspicuously absent from the genre.  I'm sure there's writers who tried to inject it wherever possible, but the fandom barely noticed.  People like the tech.  People like the philosophy of the self.  That's the big signposts.

 

I tend to see things like fandom for transhumanism and the Singularity as a sort of impotent despair at the state of things and where it's going.  But it'll be ok because one day giant AIs and expanded consciousness and whatever else, so nothing's going to matter after that.  Just keep the eyes on the prize.  (no accident they call it Nerd Apocalypse/Eschatology really).  The literature often follows that pattern as well.

post #606 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzman View Post

I tend to see things like fandom for transhumanism and the Singularity as a sort of impotent despair at the state of things and where it's going. But it'll be ok because one day giant AIs and expanded consciousness and whatever else, so nothing's going to matter after that. Just keep the eyes on the prize. (no accident they call it Nerd Apocalypse/Eschatology really).
Yup. It's the Rapture for people who think they're too cool for Jesus.
post #607 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rain Dog View Post
 



If by "a lot of this stuff", you mean a broken, socially stratified dystopia where human life is treated as nothing more than a bar code, a wallet and a very small piece of a mammoth, corrupt laisezz faire corporate machine that's wrested control of the world from nation states and their governments thus doing away with notions such as democracy and even basic human civil liberties and freedom while dazzling the subjugated with flashy digital lies and propaganda to keep them malleable and asleep - then yes, yes it does seem to be right around the corner.

 

So many cyberpunk fans don't see the genre as the warning it was intended as.

 

Exactly. This movie is a perfect example of what cyberpunk was trying to warn us about.

post #608 of 649
My eyes have been opened... I was blinded to the fact that the cyberpunk genre is actually a series of social science white papers by all those robot ninja gunfights.
post #609 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post
 

 

Exactly. This movie is a perfect example of what cyberpunk was trying to warn us about.

I blame Snowcrash and The Matrix for making Cyberpunk look Cool and Awesome.

People keep forgetting its supposed to be scary, dreadful and oppresive, like Blade Runner or Strange Days.

post #610 of 649

Just for your information, that sequence they released as a preview is not the very start of the film. There's an opening sequence before that and the footage itself is modified, there's a number of cutaways in the film version that aren't there in the preview. So, you can't be late for the start and not miss anything is what I'm saying here.

post #611 of 649

I was hoping for an opening credits sequence showing the cyborg-ing process. I am in luck?*

 

*Also, I kinda hope this is succesful so we get a Deus Ex movie; DE:Human Revolution would be amazing as a film.

post #612 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoken View Post
 

I was hoping for an opening credits sequence showing the cyborg-ing process. I am in luck?*

 

*Also, I kinda hope this is succesful so we get a Deus Ex movie; DE:Human Revolution would be amazing as a film.

 

Yes sir, on balance, this is your lucky day.

 

post #613 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoken View Post
 

I blame Snowcrash and The Matrix for making Cyberpunk look Cool and Awesome.

People keep forgetting its supposed to be scary, dreadful and oppresive, like Blade Runner or Strange Days.

  Nah.  This came out in '88

 

 

 

Virtual Light and Sterling's early stuff in particular are all laden with Cool and badassery, as per their noir origins (although Gibson's longer works get more introspective)

Snowcrash is really a kind of parody of the genre, the tropes were that well established by '92 when it came out.

post #614 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
 

  Nah.  This came out in '88

 

 

 

Virtual Light and Sterling's early stuff in particular are all laden with Cool and badassery, as per their noir origins (although Gibson's longer works get more introspective)

Snowcrash is really a kind of parody of the genre, the tropes were that well established by '92 when it came out.

 

I have that game and played it in college for a while (we ended up transitioning to SHADOWRUN after a while).  

 

It's fun, but it's pretty much just 'Hey!  Innocent Civilians!'  BADADADADADADADADADADADADADADADA.  If you were simply looking for ultra-violence, this game was for you.

post #615 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
 

  Nah.  This came out in '88

 

 

 

Virtual Light and Sterling's early stuff in particular are all laden with Cool and badassery, as per their noir origins (although Gibson's longer works get more introspective)

Snowcrash is really a kind of parody of the genre, the tropes were that well established by '92 when it came out.

I see...so this is the game CD Projeckt Red are adapting for consoles/pc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
 

 

Yes sir, on balance, this is your lucky day.

 

Not watching it till the theater, but txs!

post #616 of 649

so...we do get ScarJo nudity, then.  Surprised.

post #617 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

so...we do get ScarJo nudity, then.  Surprised.


​To be honest, I don't remember the scene in the movie being exactly that. On the other hand, I was also busy trying to work out if there was something wrong with my glasses because that whole part of the film was out of phase when they were screening it - and then it turned out to be a projection issue which they fixed. So, I might not be the best person to ask as I was a bit distracted by that and communicating with the guy who then went to the projection booth to let them know (when I noticed he was also having trouble with what he was seeing).

post #618 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

so...we do get ScarJo nudity, then.  Surprised.


From what I've read, she's all kinds of naked in Under the Skin. Maybe she just said, Fuck it, that shit's out there. Don't matter now.

post #619 of 649

Yeah, she is indeed in the buff in UNDER THE SKIN.  I was just surprised that GotS also features nudity as it's PG-13 without mention of nudity in the rating description.

post #620 of 649

With regards to the above debate about the appeal of the film for some vs the 'been there, done that" feel for others, an erstwhile Chewer (called Neoleong in these parts) wrote this about GITS:

 

Quote:

...at least it [the original anime] didn't feel like it was crafted in a laboratory by American studio executives.

 

If you put a bunch of generic action lines about hacking and mainframes and cyborgs and human beings into a program that assembled the phrases into random sentences, I wonder how many minutes it would take to come up with the screenplay for this movie.

 

...this encapsulates my reactions to the trailers. Everything looks good (as in well shot/digitally composed), and quality of rendering is high....but it just feels stale. Prefabbed. Assembled in the safest way from premade parts.

 

Again, I hope I'm wrong. I'm sure I'll catch this at some point. Just not in the theaters.

post #621 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoken View Post
 

I see...so this is the game CD Projeckt Red are adapting for consoles/pc?

 

Yeah, I believe so.  (Which I think was going to be a sort of Futcher Witcher, mechanically speaking.  But I don't rightly recall)

post #622 of 649

The combat system in CYBERPUNK (I believe it was called 'Friday Night Firefight') was pretty strong, as I recall.  It was definitely designed to streamline combat in such a way that you didn't have to deal with tons of charts (IIRC).

post #623 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

so...we do get ScarJo nudity, then.  Surprised.

 

It doesn't count as nudity unless there's nipples. It's like a thing.

post #624 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
 

 

It doesn't count as nudity unless there's nipples. It's like a thing.

 

In that clip up above, there are black bars to obscure said nipples towards the end.

post #625 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post
 

 

Exactly. This movie is a perfect example of what cyberpunk was trying to warn us about.

 

Yes. The dangerous proliferation of Japanese media and culture in all walks of life. 

 

#shuntheweeb

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoken View Post
 

I see...so this is the game CD Projeckt Red are adapting for consoles/pc?

 

More like a sequel but yes.

 

post #626 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post
 

 

Yes. The dangerous proliferation of Japanese media and culture in all walks of life. 

 

#shuntheweeb

 

Enjoy your yellowface cinema completely guilt free then!

post #627 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post

Yes. The dangerous proliferation of Japanese media and culture in all walks of life. 

#shuntheweeb
Shunt, Hew, Eeb?
post #628 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

Shunt, Hew, Eeb?

Isn't that what they're doing at the end of that Brian Yuzna movie, "Society"? Gross.
post #629 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post
 

 

Enjoy your yellowface cinema completely guilt free then!

 

I wasn't planning to but maybe I will!

 

Or I guess I could watch a Japanese animation inspired by a Ridley Scott Hollywood film that drew inspiration from a German Expressionist silent film and a French Science Fiction comic again but eh.  

post #630 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post
 

 

I wasn't planning to but maybe I will!

 

Or I guess I could watch a Japanese animation inspired by a Ridley Scott Hollywood film that drew inspiration from a German Expressionist silent film and a French Science Fiction comic again but eh.  

 

One is art and the other is an insult to art so it's not that hard to choose but eh.

post #631 of 649

Lol, okay.

post #632 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 


From what I've read, she's all kinds of naked in Under the Skin. Maybe she just said, Fuck it, that shit's out there. Don't matter now.

She's never had a 'no nudity' clause. She's on record as being annoyed with Michael Bay for making her keep her bra on during the sex scene in The Island.

post #633 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
 

She's never had a 'no nudity' clause. She's on record as being annoyed with Michael Bay for making her keep her bra on during the sex scene in The Island.

Wut?

post #634 of 649
post #635 of 649
This was enjoyable and forgettable. I enjoyed watching it, but quickly forgot most of it by the time I got home (apart from a couple character moments and a really great line about a rabbit and a fox). Also, greedy corporate bad guys might just be my least favorite kind of bad guy. So boring. Unless they're Dick Jones.
post #636 of 649
I'm kinda curious as to where it was less a question of wanting to be nude (in a movie designed to be PG-13 by design) ...

...and more a matter of how ridiculous she might've found having a love scene with her bra on. (especially since my recollection of the resulting scene was like a ridiculous lingerie/fragrance commercial)

Perhaps she just felt that keeping her bra on during the whole scene sounded dumb.

After all, it's not as if her not wearing a bra meant that R-rated nudity was guaranteed. Most movies find other ways to 'tastefully' shoot around that to avoid the R.
post #637 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

Most movies find other ways to 'tastefully' shoot around that to avoid the R.
Yes, but if Michael Bay and "tasteful" ever come in contact, the resulting explosion would destroy the universe.
post #638 of 649
When I say 'tasteful' in this case, I mean something closer to 'strategic'.

Like a Victoria's Secret ad version of the nudity sequences in Austin Powers.
post #639 of 649

Moved to the post release thread.


Edited by Inkblades - 3/31/17 at 2:11am
post #640 of 649

(Just a reminder/notification that we've got a Post-Release thread now for the spoiler stuff especially.)

 

http://www.chud.com/community/t/159235/ghost-in-the-shell-post-release-thread

post #641 of 649
Just watched this. Very surprised how much I enjoyed it. Nothing great but it's something I can see myself watching again. If just for Scarjo's robot walk. Got the steelbook from Best Buy, great cover.
post #642 of 649

Owwwwww my brain hurts. Ugh. Just sat through this.

 

Yes, I was predisposed to hate it. I'm a fan of the original film, and the prospect of a blandified PG-13 remake bugged me. I tried to give it an honest chance, though.

 

For the first half hour or so, I was thinking "Huh, maybe this won't be completely detestable. Maybe it'll manage to hit heights of blah competence." Everything looked pretty, ornate, and expensive. Even Scarlett managed to appropriately blend her naturally droning voice with the stiffness of the character.

 

Then once everything is established, it manages to get progressively worse, scene by scene. The geniuses of Hollywood screenwriting have decided that the Major needs to be a Bourne Identity. That sucks up a significant amount of screentime, without resulting in any good drama. Here's a good twist: The Major was just sitting in her apartment watching Supremacy and Ultimatum for 60% of the movie! It was all a glitch hallucination!

 

But hmmm, how do we simplify this convoluted Puppet Master business? Oh, turns out he was the Major's boyfriend. And the Major was an anti-technology blogger, which obviously makes her the most suitable brain to transform into a cybernetically enhanced government killer.

 

Every remade scene landed with a thud, from the invisible water fight, to the garbageman interrogation, to the boat diving, to the poor sad looking iSpidertank 7S. Even if I wasn't comparing them with the original version, the director doesn't know how to set up the basics of a simple dialogue scene. The beat with the garbageman looking at the holopicture of himself barely registered, and the actor sucked. Why did they even bother redoing that if they were going to whiff it so badly? I guess that question goes for the entire movie.

 

If they wanted to do CyberBourne: The Moira Krabbstein Identity so badly, they should have started from scratch and done that as a complete story, instead of half-assedly frankensteining all the visual beats from the original onto whatever this is.

 

I'm not saying the philosophical droning from the original boat scene was anything brilliant, but compare it to what we got. "Me like diving. Make me no think." ... "I go place now. Do thing."

 

So, yeah. This sucked. It did look kinda pretty, though. The director almost managed to hit that sweet spot in between Tarsem Singh and Joseph Kosinski. Too bad he can't set up a scene competently. Even if you're just a visual filmmaker, you need a tiny bit of dramatic chops to tie it all together.

post #643 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
 

 

 

Every remade scene landed with a thud, from the invisible water fight, to the garbageman interrogation, to the boat diving, to the poor sad looking iSpidertank 7S. Even if I wasn't comparing them with the original version, the director doesn't know how to set up the basics of a simple dialogue scene. The beat with the garbageman looking at the holopicture of himself barely registered, and the actor sucked. Why did they even bother redoing that if they were going to whiff it so badly? I guess that question goes for the entire movie.

 

are YOU nerdwriter videoessayman???

 

post #644 of 649

Kyle I like your nerdwriter series but I hate your stupid dork face!  Nooj and I both do!!!!

post #645 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

But hmmm, how do we simplify this convoluted Puppet Master business? Oh, turns out he was the Major's boyfriend. And the Major was an anti-technology blogger, which obviously makes her the most suitable brain to transform into a cybernetically enhanced government killer.
Say what.
post #646 of 649

it sounds more silly than it actually plays in the movie... where it's just exposition and brief visuals

 

the movie is just... there...

post #647 of 649

I wouldn't dare spread my wisdom in video-essay format. The government would catch on to me. They need highly critical brains to harvest for their new line of cyber-assassins!

 

(Also, didn't know there was a post release thread too. Oops)

post #648 of 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
 

 

(Also, didn't know there was a post release thread too. Oops)

it's ok

 

nobody cares enough about this movie to care...

 

AGENT NERDWRITER!!!

 

THE GOVERNMENT IS ONTO YOU!!!

post #649 of 649

I rather watch Aeon Flux again.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › Ghost in the Shell: Hollywood Complex.