CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › BEAUTY AND THE BEAST Live-action remake Pre-Release Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST Live-action remake Pre-Release Thread

post #1 of 793
Thread Starter 

Super-teasery first teaser for Disney's live-action remake of Beauty and the Beast dropped this morning:

 

 

(note - submitted the trailer to the site).

 

Initial thoughts:  production design and cinematography looks nice, particularly the framing on the shot of Belle gazing at the rose.  The atmosphere is helped considerably by the use of Menken's literally perfect score from the original animated film. 

 

On the downside:  Boy, that's...quite the accent Ewan McGregor's sporting as Lumiere, there.  And, yeah, this is about as unrevealing a teaser as you could possibly get.

 

But man, this film has an absolute murderer's row of talent attached.  Bill Condon directing, Emma Watson as Belle, Dan Stevens as the Beast, Luke Evans as Gaston, Kevin Kline as Maurice, McGregor as Lumiere, Ian McKellen as Cogsworth, Emma Thompson as Mrs. Potts, Josh Gad as LeFou, Stanley Tucci, Audra McDonald, and Gugu Mbatha-Raw as other servants.  Menken is reputedly writing three new songs (it seems like this one will fully embrace the music in the animated film, unlike the previous Disney live-action films).  And after Jungle Book turned out so well, definitely have my fingers crossed for this.  There have already been two classics based on Beauty and the Beast (the animated film and the Cocteau film), so here's to hoping this can bring something all its own to the table.

post #2 of 793

Jesus...that teaser is perfection.

post #3 of 793

Yeah, I was going to write this off, but then I remembered I totally dug that Cinderella remake.

post #4 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Oreo View Post
 

Yeah, I was going to write this off, but then I remembered I totally dug that Cinderella remake.

 

CINDERELLA was much, much better than I was expecting it to be.  It's refreshing to see something that doesn't have a wink of cynicism about it every once in a while, isn't it?

post #5 of 793
This movie is going to make all the money.
post #6 of 793

Is it weird that I don't like Ian McKellen for Cogsworth? Too powerful and regal-sounding for a goofball character. I'd switch McGregor to Cogsworth and find someone else for Lumiere.

post #7 of 793
Where's Jean Dujardin when you need him?
post #8 of 793
Am I the only person here wondering when they'll finally stop making live-action remakes that nobody asked for and just start doing theatrical re-releases of the original animated classics again? Seriously, do we have to break Zombie Walt Disney out of the cryo-vault and loose him on a rampage before this finally stops?
post #9 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

Am I the only person here wondering when they'll finally stop making live-action remakes that nobody asked for and just start doing theatrical re-releases of the original animated classics again? 

 

Yes.

post #10 of 793
I don't really get the appeal of remaking a perfectly good animated film as a live action film. But there's clearly an audience for this, even if I'm not part of it.
post #11 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

I don't really get the appeal of remaking a perfectly good animated film as a live action film. But there's clearly an audience for this, even if I'm not part of it.

 

I'd see the issue if the films weren't any good, but both CINDERELLA and THE JUNGLE BOOK were really first rate, quality films.  If they sucked or were even mediocre, I might complain about 'why bother' and all that, but these don't.

 

eta: bad Engrish.


Edited by Judas Booth - 5/23/16 at 1:03pm
post #12 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

Am I the only person here wondering when they'll finally stop making live-action remakes that nobody asked for

 

 

post #13 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

Am I the only person here wondering when they'll finally stop making live-action remakes that nobody asked for and just start doing theatrical re-releases of the original animated classics again? 

They DID try to start re-releasing 3D versions of the 90s output... like Lion King and Beauty and The Beast.

 

Lion King actually did really well in re-release.  Nearly $100 million on that re-release alone.

post #14 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

If they sucked or were even mediocre, I might complain about 'why bother' and all that, but these aren't.
Fair enough.
post #15 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

Am I the only person here wondering when they'll finally stop making live-action remakes that nobody asked for and just start doing theatrical re-releases of the original animated classics again? Seriously, do we have to break Zombie Walt Disney out of the cryo-vault and loose him on a rampage before this finally stops?

 

Hang on to that thought when they finally get around to remaking Aladdin, and people lose their shit.

post #16 of 793

I'd actually be really interested in seeing how they try to pull that one off.

 

SUCH A MINEFIELD.

post #17 of 793

Dan Stevens is the Beast?! Does he get to shoot anyone whilst wearing a tuxedo? How is this going to help his chances of becoming the new Bond when my letter-writing campaign to EON inevitably fails? 

post #18 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

Dan Stevens is the Beast?! Does he get to shoot anyone whilst wearing a tuxedo? How is this going to help his chances of becoming the new Bond when my letter-writing campaign to EON inevitably fails? 

 

www.danstevensisnotbeast.com

post #19 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
 

 

Hang on to that thought when they finally get around to remaking Aladdin, and people lose their shit.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post
 

I'd actually be really interested in seeing how they try to pull that one off.

 

SUCH A MINEFIELD.

 

 

 +  = 

post #20 of 793

Is that a reference to the fact that the character design on Aladdin WAS actually part-inspired by 80s-90s Cruise?

post #21 of 793

Rami Malek for Aladdin.  Boom, done.

post #22 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post
 

Is that a reference to the fact that the character design on Aladdin WAS actually part-inspired by 80s-90s Cruise?

 

post #23 of 793

what a strange photo...

post #24 of 793

I have it framed on my office wall to motivate me.

post #25 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

Jesus...that teaser is perfection.

 

If perfection is shit engineered in a lab to get saps to feel nostalgia for something they probably haven't thought much about in 20 years.  Just wake me when we reach the point where Disney's IP and theme parks are combined into one VR experience where you get to *be* whatever characters you want (your choice of 5, or try our special 8 for $800, comes with free plastic ears.) 

post #26 of 793

I've set my calendar alerts.

 

I won't let you down.

post #27 of 793

The teaser sets a mood quite well, the production design looks fantastic, and the cast is stellar, so I'm tentatively on board for this, but I do wonder exactly how they're going to visualize the servants; to just take the animated designs and do them in live action I don't think would work, but I'm also not sure what designs you could implement for the characters that wouldn't come across as freakishly strange or off-putting.  And were they motion captured, or did the actors just do straight voice-over work?  I know all the performers were hired early on along with the human characters, and were present for at least a chunk of the shoot, but beyond that I'm unsure how much participation these great actors actually had.  Seems like a waste to not mo-cap, given that you'd be having the actors on set a little anyway for the pre- and post-transformation version of the servants.

post #28 of 793

Why does this need to be remade?

post #29 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
 

Is it weird that I don't like Ian McKellen for Cogsworth? Too powerful and regal-sounding for a goofball character. I'd switch McGregor to Cogsworth and find someone else for Lumiere.

I still don't know how you cast Stanley Tucci in a Beauty and the Beast movie and not have him as Lumiere. McGregor sounds like a french Cheech Marin.

post #30 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post
 

Why does this need to be remade?

 

Because it was either this or a 3D live action Song Of The South starring Eddie Murphy. 

post #31 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
 

 

If perfection is shit engineered in a lab to get saps to feel nostalgia for something they probably haven't thought much about in 20 years.  Just wake me when we reach the point where Disney's IP and theme parks are combined into one VR experience where you get to *be* whatever characters you want (your choice of 5, or try our special 8 for $800, comes with free plastic ears.) 

 

OK.  Guess I was wrong to enjoy that teaser.  I hereby tender my apologies to all that I offended by my enjoyment.

post #32 of 793

I'm not offended by your enjoyment of it.  I will probably happily pay 800 dollars to experience what it's like to be in Rey Skywalker's pants.

post #33 of 793
Did somebody say EmWatts?
post #34 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

I'm not offended by your enjoyment of it.  I will probably happily pay 800 dollars to experience what it's like to be in Rey Skywalker's pants.

You filthy dirty man.
post #35 of 793

is she really a skywalker you think?

post #36 of 793

Nah, she's definitely a Watson. 

post #37 of 793

Rey Walston?

 

post #38 of 793
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomTastic View Post
 

I still don't know how you cast Stanley Tucci in a Beauty and the Beast movie and not have him as Lumiere. McGregor sounds like a french Cheech Marin.


If you really want to go through who's in the BatB cast, the ideal Lumiere would be Kevin Kline circa late 1980s, paired with Tucci as Cogsworth.

post #39 of 793
A hybrid of Daisy Ridley and Emma Watson?!

*Goes into a coma*
post #40 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

If perfection is shit engineered in a lab to get saps to feel nostalgia for something they probably haven't thought much about in 20 years.  Just wake me when we reach the point where Disney's IP and theme parks are combined into one VR experience where you get to *be* whatever characters you want (your choice of 5, or try our special 8 for $800, comes with free plastic ears.)
OK.  Guess I was wrong to enjoy that teaser.  I hereby tender my apologies to all that I offended by my enjoyment.
You are forgiven, my son. Go and sin no more.
post #41 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
 

I'm not offended by your enjoyment of it.  I will probably happily pay 800 dollars to experience what it's like to be in Rey Skywalker's pants.

 

Bailey... you do realize she was probably a child of incest right?

post #42 of 793

....and the rabbit hole just gets deeper and darker....

post #43 of 793

I'm here to break hearts and switch off boners. 

post #44 of 793

You think I care?!

post #45 of 793

post #46 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

The teaser sets a mood quite well, the production design looks fantastic, and the cast is stellar, so I'm tentatively on board for this, but I do wonder exactly how they're going to visualize the servants; to just take the animated designs and do them in live action I don't think would work, but I'm also not sure what designs you could implement for the characters that wouldn't come across as freakishly strange or off-putting.  And were they motion captured, or did the actors just do straight voice-over work?  I know all the performers were hired early on along with the human characters, and were present for at least a chunk of the shoot, but beyond that I'm unsure how much participation these great actors actually had.  Seems like a waste to not mo-cap, given that you'd be having the actors on set a little anyway for the pre- and post-transformation version of the servants.
The scale is sooooo weird. wink.gif
beauty-and-the-beast-live-on-stage-00.jpg?13082012140348
post #47 of 793

If I had to be guest at that party, I'd scream.

post #48 of 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post


The scale is sooooo weird. wink.gif
beauty-and-the-beast-live-on-stage-00.jpg?13082012140348


Like I said, freakishly strange!

post #49 of 793

In all seriousness the animated cartoon is beautiful and awesome, so combine that with EmWatts and my ticket is sold.  A little odd to tell this story and not do your own thing though.  I mean the the Cocteau version is also iconic.  We're deep enough in remix culture hell as it is.  

post #50 of 793

Christophe Gans just made this 2 years ago, in French. It starred Vincent Cassel and Lea Seydoux. I thought it was pretty damn good. Excellent distinct visuals, as one would expect from Gans.

 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2316801/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1

 

It was supposed to be closer to the original story. No singing bidets, as I recall.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › BEAUTY AND THE BEAST Live-action remake Pre-Release Thread