CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › GHOSTBUSTERS: ANSWER THE CALL (2016) Post-Release Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GHOSTBUSTERS: ANSWER THE CALL (2016) Post-Release Discussion - Page 21

post #1001 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrShrinker View Post
 

 

Why didn't they use Leslie Jones' encyclopedic knowledge of the city EVER?) 

This struck me as odd.  They introduce her with a line about history and what not, and I thought to myself "Oh yes, this will come in handy later on when they need to find a secret train tunnel underground, or there's something in the hotel from the old days that only Patty picks up on."  You know.  To utilize that trope.  As far as I know it didn't happen.  Which leaves that aspect of her character feeling like a very very lazy "See?  She's not a scientist and not terribly useful to the Ghostbusters at all because we've decided our black character can't be a scientist in 2016, but this skill is why she's invaluable!"

 

Just make Leslie Jones a fucking scientist.  

post #1002 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
 

This struck me as odd.  They introduce her with a line about history and what not, and I thought to myself "Oh yes, this will come in handy later on when they need to find a secret train tunnel underground, or there's something in the hotel from the old days that only Patty picks up on."  You know.  To utilize that trope.  As far as I know it didn't happen.  Which leaves that aspect of her character feeling like a very very lazy "See?  She's not a scientist and not terribly useful to the Ghostbusters at all because we've decided our black character can't be a scientist in 2016, but this skill is why she's invaluable!"

 

Just make Leslie Jones a fucking scientist.  

 

A handy guide to have:

 

Chekhov's Gun

 

"Remove everything that has no relevance to the story. If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there."

 

Chekov's Gun

 

"The phaser carried by Ensign Pavel Chekov in Star Trek: The Original Series. Completely unremarkable, and of no significance whatsoever."

post #1003 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
 

In all the bellyaching about re-casting a beloved franchise with different genders, has anyone at all mentioned that New Starbuck worked out just fine?

 

Yeah, I don't know. Mostly yes until it was no.

 

There was that ...

 

Spoilers below ...

 

Ridiculous death scene that wasn't that fooled absolutely no-one long before Glen in that zombie show.

 

Then there was that scene in the last episode between Apollo and Starbuck that was done so much better before when Angel and Cordelia did the same thing in the Angel episode "You're Welcome" - also the lead-in actually made sense that time versus whatever Battlestar Galactica did in their episode.

post #1004 of 2000

I was thinking that Patty's knowledge proved useful when they were lining up the points on the map.  But really, she was just confirming something that Erin was already gradually figuring out, right?

post #1005 of 2000
Yeah, I'd have to check but her input is inconsequential. The pattern was already noticed.

She has no real reason to be in this movie. She just showed up and nobody asked her to leave. It's like if Winston just appeared in the corner and they rolled with it.
post #1006 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
 

 

Yeah, I don't know. Mostly yes until it was no.

 

There was that ...

 

Spoilers below ...

 

Her character suffered once the show started drowning in its mythology, but so did everything.  Those issues have nothing to do with the gender-swap.

post #1007 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrShrinker View Post
 

 

Yes, this!

 

What I'm noticing as the days go by since I saw it is that I'm getting more and more frustrated with the laziness and half-assedness of it all. So many plot developments that just go nowhere (what happened to Bill Murray's character? What happened after they got "fake arrested"? Why didn't they use Leslie Jones' encyclopedic knowledge of the city EVER?) and others that just happen with no explanation (how did the villain figure out how to create such a device? Because he read their book? Did they have the instructions in there? And why was Kristen Wiig in a hotel room in the middle of the movie for no reason? And just how exactly did they learn to "kill" ghosts? Some times Kate McKinnon's character seemed to invent new weapons in the span of an afternoon, with no available resources of any kind.) Throw in some terrible jokes that they evidently thought were hilarious (the soup only has one won ton! The ghost spewed slime on her!) and my frustration is making me forget how likable they were!

You paid attention to this movie far more than I did. Once I realized they didn't give a shit about the details, neither did I.

post #1008 of 2000

I assumed Bill Murray-dressed-as-Paul Feig was killed by that fall out the window, which made it more annoying because (1) he should've died as a result of his own foolishness rather than the foolishness of Erin's impulsive opening up of the trap and setting Dragon Rock Show ghost free and (2) he doesn't come back as a ghost at the end, taunting the ladies from the beyond before getting trapped himself or moving on to wherever souls are supposed to go in this batshit continuity.

post #1009 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post

In all the bellyaching about re-casting a beloved franchise with different genders, has anyone at all mentioned that New Starbuck worked out just fine?
1. Battlestar Galactica was hardly a beloved franchise. In fact, it was the best example of why you do reboots. Do it to things that can be improved upon my 2. One that one character, not a whole roster change. Being a well written/scene stealer character (until she wasn't anymore) helps. 3. In general, I hate anytime a example is used to disapprove someone else. It's one a example or a few. That's not going to sell anyone.

I don't anyone should care this much about gender change but it's a sign of the times. Discussions about gender and gender politics are in your face all the time now so a lot of people are revolting against anything even feminist adjacent.
post #1010 of 2000

Bike riding around town today, I went by Boston University to see one of my favorite buildings, "The Castle" as it's known to the locals, which also served as the exterior location for "The Aldridge Mansion" in the beginning of the new film.  For my fellow movie-location hunters in the thread who might be interested.  The production CGI'd Manhattan into the background for use in the film.

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #1011 of 2000
Nice! And not an Irishman in sight...
post #1012 of 2000
Well he did say it was Boston...
post #1013 of 2000

Couple more "afters and befores."  What downtown locations looked like in the film versus what they look like in real-life...

 

 

post #1014 of 2000

A car with a New England Patriots sticker must've made it in somewhere. Gonna have to buy the bluray and obsessively freeze frame it, I guess.

post #1015 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racj82 View Post


1. Battlestar Galactica was hardly a beloved franchise. In fact, it was the best example of why you do reboots. Do it to things that can be improved upon my 2. One that one character, not a whole roster change. Being a well written/scene stealer character (until she wasn't anymore) helps. 3. In general, I hate anytime a example is used to disapprove someone else. It's one a example or a few. That's not going to sell anyone.

I don't anyone should care this much about gender change but it's a sign of the times. Discussions about gender and gender politics are in your face all the time now so a lot of people are revolting against anything even feminist adjacent.

Hah! I thought his comment about Starbuck was referring to Kate McKinnon. Until his post, I didn't realize how much she resembled Katte Sackhoff.

post #1016 of 2000

post #1017 of 2000

They nailed it.  

post #1018 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
 

 

post #1019 of 2000
post #1020 of 2000
Chris Hemsworth just can't deliver a hit when he's not in his Thor costume.
post #1021 of 2000

yes!  that's who's fault it is!!

post #1022 of 2000
It is kind of funny that the movie tanked despite bringing back the original cast, technically.
post #1023 of 2000

It's because Ramis wasn't in it!

post #1024 of 2000

Movie should have starred the Papa Johns and Progressive Insurance guys.  Male Ghostbusters, as God intended.

post #1025 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post
 

It's because Ramis wasn't in it!

That's true. Died just to avoid this. SO lucky!

post #1026 of 2000
Well, we've all learned a valuable lesson here: Ghostbusters fans are utter scum.

Also, remakes aren't always a sure bet.
post #1027 of 2000
My 7 year old cousin:

"Awwww dang, it's a bunch of ladies?!"

I called him a misogynist and he went home crying..
post #1028 of 2000
Your 7-year-old cousin is utter scum!
post #1029 of 2000

I eagerly (ok, not really) await Devin's column on how this is all the fault of the Ghostbros and so on.

Movie was over budgeted, overdeveloped and overhyped, and ended up being mediocre.

Thats all there is to this.

Well, that and the whole fiasco/clusterfuck that was the production of the film.

post #1030 of 2000
That's what I told him!
post #1031 of 2000
The lesson Hollywood will learn is definitely not going to be "fewer remakes." Instead, it'll just be fewer movies with female protags.

Maybe it'll become like Elizabethan times when men played all the roles.
post #1032 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Maybe it'll become like Elizabethan times when men played all the roles.

Michael Bay is going to be so pissed.

post #1033 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post

Michael Bay is going to be so pissed.

What's he going to do with all the metallic, CG tits and pussies he just spent eight months rendering?!

The leader of the Autobots is now named Optimus Prime-Piece-Of-Ass.
post #1034 of 2000
I remember big CGI balls in one of them but..
post #1035 of 2000

I guess if the extended-cut blu-ray cleans up, they could reverse the anti-sequel decision.  But I'm still on board with animated adventures.

post #1036 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
 

I guess if the extended-cut blu-ray cleans up, they could reverse the anti-sequel decision. 

not in this home-video economy...

post #1037 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
 

I guess if the extended-cut blu-ray cleans up, they could reverse the anti-sequel decision. 

not in this home-video economy...


What's the last major film to find an audience and help propel a sequel? Assume American sales only. BATMAN BEGINS?

post #1038 of 2000
INCEPTION and INTERSTELLAR would totes have sequels if Nolan wasn't so arty-farty.
post #1039 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 


What's the last major film to find an audience and help propel a sequel? Assume American sales only. BATMAN BEGINS?

 

Jack Reacher or Edge of Tomorrow?

post #1040 of 2000

Weren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtanen View Post

INCEPTION and INTERSTELLAR would totes have sequels if Nolan wasn't so arty-farty.

 

I guess I meant marginally or barely successful (as in clearing the published budget). I was under the impression both of these were solid theatrical hits.

post #1041 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

The lesson Hollywood will learn is definitely not going to be "fewer remakes." Instead, it'll just be fewer movies with female protags.

 

Didn't they just announce the cast for the all-female Ocean's reboot?

post #1042 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post


I guess I meant marginally or barely successful (as in clearing the published budget). I was under the impression both of these were solid theatrical hits.

Misunderstood you completely then. JACK REACHER may be the last one, at least until LIVE.DIE.REPEAT.AGAIN gets officially greenlit.
post #1043 of 2000
Does anyone on here REALLY want a sequel to this shitpile? Can I say that?

Ripley, Sarah Connor, The Bride, Furiosa....all have been embraced by movie lovers of either gender but now you're the dreaded M word for slagging on this turd? Fuck that noise. All the women seem like lovely people and my heart goes out to Leslie Jones for the twitter attacks but this movie needs to drift silently into the night, never to be heard from again..
post #1044 of 2000
Yeah well like you're just preventing equality from happening so
post #1045 of 2000

Has anybody found out why all the female Ghostbusters act like men?

post #1046 of 2000
They do?
post #1047 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

They do?

 

Never met many women who act like they did, with the exception of maybe Wiig's chatacter.

 

I guess the ghost-woodchipper threw me off.

post #1048 of 2000

I'd like to see a sequel with this cast.  Probably not directed by Feig though.

 

Also, I never got the impression that the characters were 'acting like men.'

 

 

What a strange thing to say.

post #1049 of 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post
 

I'd like to see a sequel with this cast.  Probably not directed by Feig though.

 

Also, I never got the impression that the characters were 'acting like men.'

 

 

What a strange thing to say.

 

I worded it badly. Maybe "guys" would have been better.

 

Maybe I'm just disappointed they didn't approach Ghostbusting any different to their male counterparts in the original films.

 

Just seemed like a wasted opportunity to explore what the gender-swap element added to the film (if anything).

post #1050 of 2000
They wore pants sometimes! What kind of a woman wears pants?! Not in Trump's America, gaw dammut!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › GHOSTBUSTERS: ANSWER THE CALL (2016) Post-Release Discussion