CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › STAR TREK BEYOND Post-Release
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

STAR TREK BEYOND Post-Release - Page 8

post #351 of 1383
Here's a cutaway of the Enterprise 1701 that was introduced at the end of ID and the beginning of BEYOND. I suppose we'll see more details on the new 1701-A sometime later.


post #352 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones View Post
 


No it was Kirstey Alley wanted way more money than they were willing to pay, now that she had become famous.  It was in Shatner's book.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
 


She wanted more money than they were willing to pay for the third movie. For the sixth, I thought she just turned them down flat? They really didn't have much to spend on TUC though - Meyer told me he couldn't afford Horner at that point.

That's what I meant. Meyer had no interest in using Saavik if she wasn't played by Kirstie. So when she chose not do it (I didn't know it was over money), he changed the character  to "Valeris".

post #353 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

Here's a cutaway of the Enterprise 1701 that was introduced at the end of ID and the beginning of BEYOND. I suppose we'll see more details on the new 1701-A sometime later.



The brewery in the secondary hull kills me.
post #354 of 1383
I'm still a bit surprised they haven't sent out official pictures of the "A" yet. It's still hard for me to notice outside of smaller warp engines what the real differences are.
post #355 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul755 View Post

I'm still a bit surprised they haven't sent out official pictures of the "A" yet. It's still hard for me to notice outside of smaller warp engines what the real differences are.

I'm wondering if they purposely wanted to keep it a bit obscured incase JJ or whoever makes the next one wants to tweak it a little. Really, really hoping this cast gets a 4th film... They deserve another shot, even if Paramount cuts the budget.
post #356 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post

I'm wondering if they purposely wanted to keep it a bit obscured incase JJ or whoever makes the next one wants to tweak it a little. Really, really hoping this cast gets a 4th film... They deserve another shot, even if Paramount cuts the budget.
A 4th one is happening. JJ already confirmed Kirk would meet his dad, so yeah...time travel.
post #357 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul755 View Post

I'm still a bit surprised they haven't sent out official pictures of the "A" yet. It's still hard for me to notice outside of smaller warp engines what the real differences are.

SPOILER SPACE

Here's a little better look at how the saucer edge and neck/secondary hull has changed:



Compared to:
post #358 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul755 View Post

A 4th one is happening. JJ already confirmed Kirk would meet his dad, so yeah...time travel.

Wouldn't be the first time a sequel was announced before the chips were counted and then quietly nixed, so I'm still praying to the sci fi gods until cameras are rolling.
post #359 of 1383
I'm most curious of who gets the directing gig.
post #360 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

I'm most curious of who gets the directing gig.

Has Pegg ever shot anything?
post #361 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
 


She wanted more money than they were willing to pay for the third movie. For the sixth, I thought she just turned them down flat? They really didn't have much to spend on TUC though - Meyer told me he couldn't afford Horner at that point.


Argh, yes I think I misremembered how that all worked out.  I do remember that Roddenberry was furious that Valeris was the traitor, he felt she had achieved "beloved character" status.  But he was furious about most things, so...

post #362 of 1383
Roddenberry was always shaking his cane, and nobody cared.
post #363 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post


Has Pegg ever shot anything?

 

I don't think so. He's won back a lot of respect back from me, not only because he helped write a good Star Trek movie that I very much enjoyed, but that he did it when the movie had lost its original writer (thank God) and it was increasingly looking as though Beyond was going to be an absolute disaster. 

 

Even if he did apparently name Jaylah after J-Law. *Shakes head with disappointment* 

post #364 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post

Has Pegg ever shot anything?

Yes, two at a time while jumping in the air.
post #365 of 1383
If Lin isn't returning, I'd love to see Brad Bird have a crack at it.

Heck, maybe with this film's success Pegg can pull a few favors and get Edgar Wright on board? In fact, Joe Cornish was on a list of directors Paramount had for Trek 3 before deciding on Lin.
post #366 of 1383
Peter Weir. Bring some of that more subtle Master and Commander mojo to this..
post #367 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Peter Weir. Bring some of that more subtle Master and Commander mojo to this..
He's too good for NuTrek.
post #368 of 1383
He is. But it's just the thought of Nu-Trek being brought up closer to his standards that is appealing to me (if he'd even do it). Beyond was better...let's keep the trajectory going!
post #369 of 1383
He'd be ideal for a classic type Trek film. Not gonna happen with nuTrek. I've accepted that these are the kind of films they will be, so all I can hope for is something like BEYOND or better where it works both as a summer spectacle and a Trek adventure.
post #370 of 1383
Ok fuck it...Jon Favreau then..
post #371 of 1383
Hmm, sure, why not? He made Paramount two summer hits with Iron Man before Disney took the rights, so he deserves it.
post #372 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post


I'm wondering if they purposely wanted to keep it a bit obscured incase JJ or whoever makes the next one wants to tweak it a little. Really, really hoping this cast gets a 4th film... They deserve another shot, even if Paramount cuts the budget.


Maybe somebody remembered the modest furor in 86, when they unveiled a picture of the -A a t a 20th anniversary celebration ... two months BEFORE TVH came out.

post #373 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiav View Post
 

 

That's what I meant. Meyer had no interest in using Saavik if she wasn't played by Kirstie. So when she chose not do it (I didn't know it was over money), he changed the character  to "Valeris".


The stuff I read with Cattrall was that the character was still Saavik when she got the script, and that she flat-out refused to be the third actress playing the same character, so that suggests they were not going to accede to GR on this. Also, she said she came up with the character name herself, something about a god of war, though I thought she just messed up a vowel from remembering Conan's girl.

 

I think it was in Cinefantastique ... the issue that talked about her taking nude pics in the Capt's chair and Nimoy losing his shit over it and personally destroying the negatives. There wasn't even money to tailor her costume (which was presumably Alley's and/or Curtis', so she paid to have it done herself.

post #374 of 1383

Aww, I kinda liked the "tale" that Nicholas Meyer was purist about Saavik being played by the actress he originally wrote/worked with. And that he'd rather replace her with a another character when Kirstie balked.

post #375 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

If Lin isn't returning, I'd love to see Brad Bird have a crack at it.

Heck, maybe with this film's success Pegg can pull a few favors and get Edgar Wright on board? In fact, Joe Cornish was on a list of directors Paramount had for Trek 3 before deciding on Lin.

All the main Star Trek elements are in place now so we just need a solid journeyman director who can shoot action and is good with the more subtle character moments - so as ever, for your consideration I'll trot out Martin Campbell.
post #376 of 1383

Betcha Brett Ratner is having his agent call for the gig.

post #377 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Betcha Brett Ratner is having his agent call for the gig.

post #378 of 1383

Just got back from seeing this and I pretty much agree overall with what everyone is saying here, this is a fun standalone Star Trek adventure and this crew finally feels like an actual alternative version of the original cast, although to be honest not much of it really stood out to me other than the lengths they took to completely ignore Into Darkness, I was pretty surprised they didn't reference the events or characters from the film at all, going as far to just completely forget about Alice Eve who it seemed was most definitely being set up to become part of the new cast.

I hope they bring back Justin Lin for the fourth film because I can only imagine the realistic alternatives and they all suck.

Funny enough, my dad didn't like it and he totally dug the last two films, I don't even begin to understand it.

This is also the first Star Trek film that has been released since I was born that I did not see on opening day with my dad. So whatever. 

post #379 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post

Yes, two at a time while jumping in the air.

(Rotating dolly shot) ...Shit just got real.
post #380 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsnotatumor 
Funny enough, my dad didn't like it and he totally dug the last two films, I don't even begin to understand it.

I've noticed that too elsewhere. User ratings on major sites have it much lower than the last two... I don't get it.
post #381 of 1383

The score's out on Youtube.  I'm definitely picking it up.  Giacchino's best work for the series so far.  And yes, there are BAD PUNS

 

post #382 of 1383

Swarm reception AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #383 of 1383

ehehehehehe perfect

post #384 of 1383
At 5mins in this track I was like "hey, this score is really working!" as far as standouts go.

post #385 of 1383
Mike and Jay on BEYOND

post #386 of 1383
This is a positive nitpick (is there such a thing?) But I was thinking about technical talk in this movie, and how it hit a perfect balance. It wasn't massively dumbed down "Lightning storm in space!" But it wasn't terrible tech the tech stuff either. A simple line like "Phasers are having minimal effect, and our Torpedoes are unable to track.". Boom. Done.
post #387 of 1383
Perfectly simplistic. I immediately got that when the first clip was posted on the pre release thread.

No more "cold fusion bomb" nonsense.
post #388 of 1383

Perfectly simplistic, light entertainment is actually exactly how I would describe this.  Saw it last night.  Was not under or overwhelmed by it.  A serviceable Trek summer action/adventure movie. 

 

Which makes it immeasurably better than the last one, but not quite as entertaining as the '09 re-intro.

post #389 of 1383
Oh, I hope Stocks reads Neil's remarks and goes on another rant about TREK '09.
post #390 of 1383
It's tempting, but with how BEYOND set things right, I can't be mad anymore. 2009 happened a long time ago and we're in a better time with DISCOVERY on the horizon...

But still, fuck that movie. Fuck it in the ear, fuck it in the other ear!

On the other hand, this all adds to my enjoyment of Orci's long overdue downfall. Not only did he get the boot from Trek, but that Simon Pegg showed him how to really do it.

So HAHA, eat it Orci.
post #391 of 1383

I guess I hate Star Trek cause I still love the 09 version and was disappointed by Beyond.

post #392 of 1383
I think it's fair to say that Trekkies are much more happy with BEYOND than most audiences are.

From Not Your Father's Star Trek to Plain Old Boring Trek.
post #393 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

From Not Your Father's Star Trek to Your Bachelor Uncle's Trek.
Fixed.
post #394 of 1383

So was Orci's rejected script ever leaked? Or the plot? I'm sure they'll add it to the book of "Unmade Star Trek Movies". 

post #395 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

So was Orci's rejected script ever leaked? Or the plot? I'm sure they'll add it to the book of "Unmade Star Trek Movies". 

From what I understand it would have been about Vulcans trying to use time travel to prevent Nero's destruction of their home planet and that through all this time travel nonsense nuKirk would meet Kirk Prime played by Shatner. Pine actually made a comment about it:

“It would just become about that,” he adds. “The movie can’t become about that. The movie has to be about whatever story we’re trying to tell. It’d be fun, it’d be kitschy, it’d be a great piece for you guys to talk about, and for late-night TV, but above and beyond that I don’t know what it serves for our storytelling purposes, you know?”

Apparently they will use the original draft as a basis for the next film, but will likely be heavily altered as it will be George Kirk appearing instead of Shatner.
post #396 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondguy View Post
 

The score's out on Youtube.  I'm definitely picking it up.  Giacchino's best work for the series so far.  And yes, there are BAD PUNS

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

At 5mins in this track I was like "hey, this score is really working!" as far as standouts go.

This is by far Giacchino's best TREK score (and I'm a fan of his previous two).  It hits a nice balance of introspective beats, moments of beauty and discovery (the "Night on the Yorktown" track is exceptional), and strong action.  This cue might be the best action track of Giacchino's live action work so far...

 

post #397 of 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

At 5mins in this track I was like "hey, this score is really working!" as far as standouts go.

 

Yeah, I'm really liking this one.

post #398 of 1383
What other series can Lin take over after #2 underwhelms? He's gottwo under his belt!
post #399 of 1383

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 3!

post #400 of 1383

NO!!!!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › STAR TREK BEYOND Post-Release