CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › SUICIDE SQUAD (2016) - POST-RELEASE THREAD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SUICIDE SQUAD (2016) - POST-RELEASE THREAD - Page 6

post #251 of 1308
Would have loved it if when Flagg basically lets them all go, Boomerang bolts and doesn't come back to the final showdown. Would have been a fitting end for that character.
post #252 of 1308
poor adam beach
post #253 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Oreo View Post

Would have loved it if when Flagg basically lets them all go, Boomerang bolts and doesn't come back to the final showdown. Would have been a fitting end for that character.

When does he come back? Does he just return?
post #254 of 1308
so THAT's why his name is boomerang!
post #255 of 1308
How come the little web cam on his boomerang isn't spinning around?
post #256 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

How come the little web cam on his boomerang isn't spinning around?

Lol, i havent' seen the movie but i get the plot hole :P

post #257 of 1308
It has a gyroscopic reverberating duel-motor shell to stay level and focused. Like a mini BB-8.
post #258 of 1308
yea obviously freema

no imagination!
post #259 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

 He's supposedly a method actor and yet, until reports of his weird set antics in this movie, I've never heard him mentioned in any discussions that involve the likes of Brando, Day-Lewis, Sellers etc. 

I feel like he maybe read the wikipedia entry on 'Method Acting' and decided 'that's what I'm going to say that I do!'

 

If he were actually method he would've spent time with actual trans people to prep for Dallas Buyer's Club.

post #260 of 1308
Let put this right on my growing pile of movies that are just fine. People will rave about it and it will make no sense to me. It will make ton of money and I will wonder why. I'll call it the Jurassic World pile.

It's neither as terrible and some made it out to be or as good as people who praise it have said.

Music was too much. As if they literally trying to make the movie lighter through sheer force of the music.

Harley was good but just became grating as fuck to me after a while. Like they just put *insert wacky Harley line* every few lines.

This squad barely felt like a squad. In terms of chemistry and the fact that this felt like the Will and Margot show. Say what you want about the avengers movies/civil war but I feel like everyone gets time to shine in those movies with a massive line up.

The action was hard for me to follow.

The whole first act was a info dump.

Fuck this version of the Joker. This feels like some bizarre cosplaying shit.

Just, ugh.

I loved Will Smith in this. That part where he just mows down all of those soldiers by himself was a true fuck yeah moment. I generally liked the squad but the movie around it was like one subpar very long episode of a 80s action show.

PAM Pretty Average Movie.
post #261 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40 View Post

Well my "average Joe" family and friends fucking love the hell out of this. My Facebook is chock full of posts praising it. Next week's drop isn't going to be a problem.
is your family and friends the entire US population? Otherwise, your sample size doesn't mean much of anything.
post #262 of 1308
After a huge Friday (65 mil), it seems like Saturday figure is 30 mil, which would be a big drop.
post #263 of 1308
I didn't think this was very good.
post #264 of 1308

Unlike BvS, I'd genuinely be interested to see an Extended Cut of this movie. 

post #265 of 1308
It's so dimly lit, I can't imagine you'd see much of anything.
post #266 of 1308

Didn't realize you'd seen it, Brad! Not a fan then, I take it? Or was it just the lighting which you had issues with?

 

ETA: Oh, I just saw your post above mine. :(

post #267 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

I didn't think this was very good.

post #268 of 1308

You and Brad are forever destined to be on opposite sides of everything, Freeman. You're like God and man, night and day, Son of Krypton and Bat of Gotham.

post #269 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

You and Brad are forever destined to be on opposite sides of everything, Freeman. You're like God and man, night and day, Son of Krypton and Bat of Gotham.

The greatest gladiator match in the history of CHUD!!!!
post #270 of 1308

Johnny did you ever end up seeing this?  You seemed to be looking forward to it until the reviews hit.  

post #271 of 1308
I find the whole Joker/Harley abuse thing interesting. The ever growing idea of reprehensible behavior being off limits in cinema (except mass collateral damage if course). In the 90s studios wouldn't have cared much what Joker did, and in the 80s they wouldn't have cared at all. The movie was the movie and real life was real life and people seemed reasonably intelligent enough to understand the difference. Kids cursed, smoked and were racist in Bad News Bears and were great CHARACTERS. And nobody cared... because it was a movie. A great movie.

Studios need to make more of a profit now since budgets are astronomical, so not offending people becomes the mantra now. The movie is no longer just the movie but a potential thought crime...so they cater to as wide an audience as possible. But by making movies for everyone, they end up with a movie made for no one. Which is why blockbusters feel so hollow now, to me at least. I sit there watching this stuff wondering "who is this for exactly? It has no identity, let alone a pulse.". I could list off a dozen blockbusters or studio movies from the 80s and 90s that no studio would dare make the same way again. But they had a pulse. They stuck with you long after leaving the parking lot.

Movies are supposed to be about fictional characters who feel real, which invests you in that journey. The Joker is someone who would gladly blow up a hospital to have a laugh...the audience knows this. They saw Dark Knight. Why is it then a stretch for this psychopath to mentally and physically abuse the only person he's close to? Its because the movie isn't made for anyone in particular. Ma and Pa Smith can't get offended by a guy who is supposed to be offensive in the extreme, because their fragile sense of self can't tolerate fiction. But that's the journey you're supposed go on as an audience member. Sanitizing a roller coaster ride no longer makes it a rollercoaster, and isn't that what these movies are supposed to be? Even Disneyland has scary shit you're supposed be haunted by.

It reminds me of an actor who played a famously reprehensible character. He said a woman came up to him after the film's screening and said "I hate you.". He said "No, you hate the character. You don't even know me." "No, I hate you.". And then there's the famous story about after the test screening of Se7en where Fincher heard two ladies as they were leaving the theater...one of them said "the people who made this movie ought to be killed.'

Those sensitive crybabies are the reason we can't have nice things anymore.
post #272 of 1308
On the other side of the spectrum are people who embrace this stuff readily. Look at any video about this movie on YouTube and the comments section is loaded with women, presumably young women who adore this relationship and think it's sexy and romantic. Like twilight it's a scary powerful man who could fucking kill you, who's bad to you who you should stay away from, but he secretly loves you with scary intensity and he will always come and rescue you. Wild horses couldn't keep him away.

It's a harmless enough fantasy if it can make Twilight a phenomon I suppose, but it is such a disturbing misunderstanding of these characters relationship in the comics. By ending the movie on that note the studio is willfully embracing that angle because it pleases people, makes more money, and is absolutely toothless and won't offend people like Joker throwing Harley out a window would.
post #273 of 1308

Haven't seen this yet (hoping to this Thursday!) but confirming what Ambler is saying, all you need is look at Batman '89. Joker apparently physically and mentally tortures Alicia until she commits suicide. We don't actually see it happening, but we see the outcome. 

 

That's fucked up, even if it's only implications. Presumably Harley would be an Alicia that embraced the experience rather than throwing herself off a roof. But I guess this movie doesn't show that.

post #274 of 1308
Seeing this today based on an illuminating text from my sister:

FUN
NOT GOOD
BUT FUN
post #275 of 1308
I don't even know if it's fun.
post #276 of 1308

It's SORTA fun.

post #277 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Yeah, such a strange thing to cut when it featured the squad bonding. They barely talk to each other throughout the entire movie.

I thought this at first as well, but as I go back through the movie in my head, I think they actually spent just the right amount of time in the bar, and although that would have been good stuff to add, a good scene might have started to drag a little in my opinion. And it hurts to say this because I think I'd like to see 2 hours of them all just palling around.

Someone above mentioned their daughter liking it, and I'm hearing a whole lot of that from the parents network my life has become at this age. A whole lot of teenagers are loving the shit out of this, including my son. His gushing opinion of this middling to good movie is validated by his first comment leaving the theater being "I sure wouldn't use a helicopter to go anywhere if I was in that movie!", and he meant it.
post #278 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

All that exposition just makes me want to watch CON AIR.

Oh shit, you have just ruined Con Air for me. I have a lot of most surely misplaced unconditional love for the Con Air, Face/Off, and The Rock NC trilogy, but Con Air always was the one with just a little something off that I couldn't put my finger on until now.
post #279 of 1308
I think that's why the bar scene is easily the best scene in the entire movie: because it lets these guys bounce off each other.
post #280 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

When does he come back? Does he just return?

he just straights up returns when everyone is doing epic badass movie walk.
post #281 of 1308

I was a little disappointed that we didn't get a full cover of Bohemian Rhapsody.  

post #282 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
 

I was a little disappointed that we didn't get a full cover of Bohemian Rhapsody.  

 

I think nearly half this film's budget had to be spent on music royalties.  It felt like every cut was accompanied by a needle drop on some recognizable song.

post #283 of 1308
Forget recognizable. It was greatest hits. It was zany.
post #284 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

On the other side of the spectrum are people who embrace this stuff readily. Look at any video about this movie on YouTube and the comments section is loaded with women, presumably young women who adore this relationship and think it's sexy and romantic. Like twilight it's a scary powerful man who could fucking kill you, who's bad to you who you should stay away from, but he secretly loves you with scary intensity and he will always come and rescue you. Wild horses couldn't keep him away.

It's a harmless enough fantasy if it can make Twilight a phenomon I suppose, but it is such a disturbing misunderstanding of these characters relationship in the comics. By ending the movie on that note the studio is willfully embracing that angle because it pleases people, makes more money, and is absolutely toothless and won't offend people like Joker throwing Harley out a window would.

I think you're wrong about that. Here's the thing: people are stupid, and will take the wrong lesson from any film (see: fight club, godfather etc etc...). As is, Suicide Squad is self-aware enough to suggest that Harley's infatuation with the Joker is absolutely unhealthy. I don't think it needs to make Joker a total monster to get the point across that THIS IS NOT A RELATIONSHIP YOU WANT, nor does it have to end with Harley separating from Joker cuz "gurl power."

I'm fine with the movie leaving Harley Quinn still sort of a broken mess because I think it fits with the ambiguity of the film, as well as the bitter endings for each of the characters.
post #285 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post
 

 

I think nearly half this film's budget had to be spent on music royalties.  It felt like every cut was accompanied by a needle drop on some recognizable song.

I heard Zemeckis did some uncredited work as the music supervisor. 

post #286 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Oh yeah.  The entire edit of this film REEKS of studio interference like nothing in recent memory.  The thought of young girls "awwwwing" over this relationship is so gross.  

I can imagine the studio bigwigs sincerely thinking that this would be way too dark for a "comic book movie." Really digging into an abusive relationship, getting the grime up to your elbows willfully, is a horse of a different color from the breezily thoughtless depictions of violence in, say, Man of Steel. You can do things in a cartoon that would make parents cringe if they took their kids to see it in live action.
post #287 of 1308

I've come to the realization that I'm a bigger fan of solo Joker, rather than Joker and Harley. This isn't to say that I don't like Harley Quinn because I absolutely do, and her presence makes certain interesting situations possible (such as the scene in Batman Beyond's "Return Of The Joker" where we see Harley and Mr J playing mom and pop to their "son" - a lethally brainwashed Tim Drake) but I've always preferred The Joker as a one-man army of terror. Sure, he can have his disposable henchmen, but he's ultimately the Clown King of Crime and I think the presence of a Clown Queen of Crime sort of diminishes his uniqueness. 

 

I feel the same way when it comes to Robin, truth be told, because my "ideal" Batman and Joker story involves just the two of them and nobody in between. Of all the villains in Batman's gallery, The Joker was probably the one who needed a love interest the least (as opposed to Mr Freeze whose background and motivation were enhanced through being given a sick wife). He's a nihilist and an agent of chaos; certainly not a figure of romance. 

 

Still, if you are going to have Harley and Joker, the best version is still the original Animated Series version, in my eyes. Batman's greatest - and most insane - enemy shouldn't be getting upset over a gangster longing for his girl, or chasing around the city after his girlfriend. Harley is meant to be the embodiment of obsession, not Joker. The Joker should barely notice that she's gone and, when she eventually returns, he should treat her the same way he'd treat any hench-person returning: with indifference, because he's not only an abusive asshole but he's absolutely fucking crazy. I think this is what added to my dislike of Leto's version of the character, although I'm slightly heartened after reading the list of deleted scenes which implies their relationship was originally written a lot closer to my preferred interpretation.

post #288 of 1308
Thread Starter 
post #289 of 1308
I couldn't help but think about how this concept was handled so much better in "Blade II." This movie is just deadly dull. There's no sense of urgency, no ticking clock. It's just impossible to care if these oddballs destroy the Skyportal because why should we care? They don't care.

Even when you try giving him the benefit of the doubt, Jared Leto flat-out sucks as the Joker. He's just rehashing Ledger under a fresh coat of paint. Maybe if he'd spent less time fucking with his costars and more time coming up with a new take on the character, it would've been something.
post #290 of 1308

This movie made Brad serious!

post #291 of 1308
I'm currently wearing Harley's jester outfit with tears streaming down the sides of my face. THAT'S HOW SERIOUS I AM!
post #292 of 1308

that is indeed serious

post #293 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomTastic View Post
 

I heard Zemeckis did some uncredited work as the music supervisor. 

SOON TO BE RELEASED AS A 2 CD SET!

post #294 of 1308
I liked the part where the Flash showed up and arrested Captain "I Keep Forgetting He's in This Movie."
post #295 of 1308

what was so special about Joel Venkamman's bomb that it's just assumed it could take out the God of Egypt when Diablo couldn't?

 

That's quite an assumption!

 

And it's not even a direct hit!  It was from under the ground!  It just looked like some regular movie bomb went off.  And poof?  That's the end of God of Egypt?

post #296 of 1308
There was a lot that was unclear.

"I can kill her by stabbing her disembodied heart... unless her brother can somehow keep her alive, then we'll have to destroy his heart!"
post #297 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

I'm currently wearing Harley's jester outfit with tears streaming down the sides of my face. THAT'S HOW SERIOUS I AM!
Why So Serious?!?!?
post #298 of 1308
This is serious business!
post #299 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

There was a lot that was unclear.
 

 

Yeah, I haven't been able to locate a good explanation for Deadshot's mask. Initially I thought it was to keep his identity hidden, but everyone seems to know who he is anyway and that doesn't account for why he wears it before they rescue Waller. I then thought that maybe it helped him aim, but the eye-piece is shown to be detachable and his earlier scene at the prison proves he doesn't need technology to help him aim. It's very baffling. 

post #300 of 1308
That must've been to paper over some reshoot shenanigans.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › SUICIDE SQUAD (2016) - POST-RELEASE THREAD