CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › SUICIDE SQUAD (2016) - POST-RELEASE THREAD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SUICIDE SQUAD (2016) - POST-RELEASE THREAD - Page 10

post #451 of 1308

I might have to go find that thing.

post #452 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
 

I bought the Official Novelization yesterday. Since these books are based on early drafts of the script, i assume this was David Ayer version being depicted.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
1) The scene where Deadshot's daughter pleads him to put the gun down. Gone. Batman takes Floyd down after he drops off Zoe with her Mom. 
2) Harley asking Batman why he saved her. "Joker took something from me. And now i am taking something from him."
3) Boomerang knows Flagg from previously. He's also really dislikes Harley.
4) The monsters the team meets in the city? Way, way harder to kill here. Deadshot shoots several of them in the head to no effect. Croc is actually the most effective fighter here.
5) Harley is also depicted as more of a seductress. Reaching out to each of the team Members to protect her. She's smart enough to know fighting is not her strong suit.
6) Over a million and a half people were killed in the first night of the takeover. 

Ugh.  Most of those I don't actually like, with the exception of the first one.  Removing the reference to Batman only saving Harley out of spite and revenge?  Smart.  Nobody wants that Batman who's a cunt, they want the Batman who acts like a hero thank you very much.  They explored the murdered in Dawn of Justice and now that's done and gone never to be mentioned again thank you very much!   The monsters being harder to kill makes a lot more sense, I believe there was confusing references in the film about them being hard to take down which are not at all true.  Harley's characterization sounds like it at least makes more logical sense, but at the same time if she's NOT the fighter she is in the film triple the "Why are you here?" confusion.

 

A million and a half people dead.  I know DC has always done things bigger and grander than everyone else, but killing like...  Most of Midway City is a bit much, even for them.  What the fuck is Hawk Girl supposed to protect?  The ashes?  Also, if that many people died it becomes totally impossible to think Wonder Woman Bats etc don't get involved.  Like, WHAT?!

post #453 of 1308

The Batman in the Novelization is definitely the Darker BVS Bats. 

 

Case in point.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
When Bats takes down Floyd in the Novelization
 
"Thanks for not letting my Daughter see this."
 
"No child should have too. In any case, she'll have grey hairs before she sees you again."
 
The Novelization makes no explanation on what Incubus and Enchantress actually are. Katanna ia as useless as she is in the film. In fact, the novelization says she's not Flagg's bodyguard. My impression is that Novelization Katanna is a freelancer just tagging along for the ride.
post #454 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

The Batman in the Novelization is definitely the Darker BVS Bats. 

Case in point. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
When Bats takes down Floyd in the Novelization
 
"Thanks for not letting my Daughter see this."
 
"No child should have too. In any case, she'll have grey hairs before she sees you again."
 
The Novelization makes no explanation on what Incubus and Enchantress actually are. Katanna ia as useless as she is in the film. In fact, the novelization says she's not Flagg's bodyguard. My impression is that Novelization Katanna is a freelancer just tagging along for the ride.
The Batman stuff isn't terrible.
post #455 of 1308

Yeah, at least he didn't brand Deadshot in front of his daughter.  Then brand the daughter.  

post #456 of 1308
you really have to focus on curating and maintaining your brand these days

even bats is not immune
post #457 of 1308

You see, it's funny because what he actually does is burn your flesh with a white hot iron shaped like a Bat, but Nooj twisted the double meaning!

post #458 of 1308
like me on facebook or retweet this photo on Instagram!
-batman

ssssssssssss

ARRRGGGHHHHAAAA, you masked freak!!!

(batman ducklips for a selfie with criminal scum)
post #459 of 1308

Criminal scum- You know, the evil Nazi in Raiders of the Lost Ark wanted to do this, too.  

post #460 of 1308
So ... I really liked this. Yeah it's got a ton of problems as listed here but it was so damn enjoyable. Especially that first half. As a "team" movie it's certainly better than Batman V Superman or Age of Ultron.
post #461 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

So ... I really liked this. Yeah it's got a ton of problems as listed here but it was so damn enjoyable. Especially that first half. As a "team" movie it's certainly better than Batman V Superman or Age of Ultron.

I mean, I don't know how anybody could possibly hold this opinion.  They're not a team, they're people who are forced together to do a thing.  They don't banter or have specific relationships or anything beyond the main two.  

post #462 of 1308
Face it Freemon--It's a better movie than Dulltron.

Just be happy you got Civil war.
post #463 of 1308

Age of Ultron is better crafted and certainly better edited but I'd take the mess that is Suicide Squad over it any day of the week. Dulltron is the epitome of a studio machine's cogs chirping and whirring towards a workmanlike whiz-bang cash cow display. Suicide Squad is a failure on a bunch of levels but there are moments where you can see it trying to be something that is its own (particularly in Waller, in the Harley/Joker relationship, in the early dynamics of the Squad trying to escape their mission and where they align or divide over that, in the bar scene, in the dreams of redeemed lives that will never be), it just has a TON of problems, not the least of which is an over-arching plot that you can tell Ayer rushed to meet his deadline and that the studio was involved with and just, like, some of the worst editing.

post #464 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Oreo View Post

Face it Freemon--It's a better movie than Dulltron.

Just be happy you got Civil war.

I'm not convinced it's better than ANY Marvel Studios movie.  I think I prefer Iron Man 2.  Suicide Squad might have had things to enjoy but as we've established it's riddled, diseased with problems.  If Age of Ultrons problems are a cold, this movie has full blown Ebola.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp View Post

 

Dulltron

Try hard.  

post #465 of 1308
I know I prefer Iron Man 2..
post #466 of 1308

Iron Man 2 wins if only because the basic premise makes some kind of logical sense.

post #467 of 1308

Iron Man 2 at least had a comprehensible action sequence storyboarded by Genndy Tartakovsky.  All Suicide Squad had was Will Smith's superstar script notes.

post #468 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
 

I'm not convinced it's better than ANY Marvel Studios movie.  I think I prefer Iron Man 2.  Suicide Squad might have had things to enjoy but as we've established it's riddled, diseased with problems.  If Age of Ultrons problems are a cold, this movie has full blown Ebola.  

Try hard.  


Dulltron doesn't deserve "try hard." It just deserves to be called Dulltron. By everyone. Forever.

post #469 of 1308

Your troll game is as weak and generic as your avatar pic.  

 

post #470 of 1308
I feel like I enjoyed SUICIDE SQUAD more than most of you guys. But ULTRON is a lot better.

Aside from BvS, I can be very forgiving with these kind of flicks.

tumblr_inline_mkz0pz58Ay1qz4rgp.gif
post #471 of 1308

I hate, HATE Ultron and even I think it's better than Suicide Squad.

post #472 of 1308
Hate?!?!
post #473 of 1308

Yes?

post #474 of 1308
I can see not caring for it. I can see disliking it. But hate? Such a powerful word.
post #475 of 1308
Different strokes I guess but Ultron is not a good movie. It's boring and charmless. Suicide Squad, while not great, is never boring and the cast are all really great keeping it moving. There's not a single touching moment in Ultron that is as good as Harley crying in the rain to then puts on a smile as the team finds her. It's also better than the Thors and Iron Man 2 if we're comparing Marvel movies.
post #476 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

I can see not caring for it. I can see disliking it. But hate? Such a powerful word.

 

Sure, it's hyperbolic statement. I'm using hate in the same way someone might say they hated BvS. There was barely anything I liked about it and I actively wished I was somewhere else while watching it.

post #477 of 1308
ULTRON is a good movie. Charmless? If you went in looking to hate it and you have a thing against whedon, sure.
post #478 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post

Sure, it's hyperbolic statement. I'm using hate in the same way someone might say they hated BvS. There was barely anything I liked about it and I actively wished I was somewhere else while watching it.

My hatred of BVS is real. It is nothing like this tepid, hyperbolic phony hatred you have of Age of Excellence.
post #479 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

ULTRON is a good movie.
giphy.gif
post #480 of 1308
Sorry you're right, it's an underrated overhated legend of a movie with one of the best comic book villains of all time in james Spader having a snarky witty blast and the only people who would argue otherwise are probably perverts and criminals.
post #481 of 1308
I love, love, love when Ultron gets brought up. Freeman, you do not stand alone. Fight the good fight my brother.
post #482 of 1308
Again Freeman, just be happy you have Civil War.


Ultron is our BvS. Accept it and move on.
post #483 of 1308
Never.

I will die on this hill and become a martyr if I must. If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you could imagine. (In Form V Vapaad lightsaber combat)
post #484 of 1308

oh snap Freeman just did a zinger about my non-avatar pic

 

my feelings are hurt

post #485 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Pants View Post

I love, love, love when Ultron gets brought up. Freeman, you do not stand alone. Fight the good fight my brother.
This sequence (and his original disarticulated-zombie-bot appearance) are really good. Unfortunately, it just serves to contrast with how underwhelming his Pessimus Prime version is, amusing genocidal snark notwithstanding, and how disappointing the "yet another climax consisting mainly of a pitched battle against a generic CGI horde" sequence is.
post #486 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp View Post

oh snap Freeman just did a zinger about my non-avatar pic

my feelings are hurt

I'm sorry that things had to go to such a devastating and horrifying extreme, but you left me no choice but the nuclear option.
post #487 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

This sequence (and his original disarticulated-zombie-bot appearance) are really good.

He's never as intimidating as he is in that scene, you're right. He absolutely should have stayed like that for longer. Also, lips on a Robut never work.

These are my criticisms of Ultron in their entirety.
post #488 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post
 

I can't remember, did we even get any sort of closure for Ike Barinholtz's character? Deadshot swears he'll get him, Harley laughs and tell him he's in big trouble when he passes her the cellphone and he then proceeds to disappear from the film.

 

Quote:
Originally posted by Codename
 
He's firing the minigun on the chopper when Joker arrives to fetch Harley.  Presumably he dies in the ensuing crash.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp View Post
 

no, I thought that was that other white dude minion of the Joker who looked like he stumbled in from a different David Ayer movie.

 

God, the editing in this movie sucks.

 

It's like nothing fully registers. It wasn't really unmemorable in a boring way, it was unmemorable in a "the editing won't let my brain keep the details straight" kind of way.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post
 


Huh, I totally missed that. Thanks.

 

The prison guard who Joker snatched from the Casino to slip Harley the phone and his right hand man were two different characters lol.  They just had similar goatees. Joker's right hand henchman was played by Jim Parrack, who was also Hoyt on True Blood.  I thought he looked familiar but couldn't place him while watching.  God that show frustrated me in the final few episodes, but that's a whole separate conversation.


Edited by CDBM - 8/11/16 at 10:22am
post #489 of 1308

I think it's great that there are folk out there who think Suicide Squad superior to Age Of Ultron. Reminds me of a guy I knew at college who insisted that The Phantom was a better movie than the "over-rated" 1989 Batman. Diversity is wonderful, even if it makes me throw "WTF" faces at you every now and again.

post #490 of 1308

I like pie.

 

But yes I do think SS was a hundred times better than BvS.  I actually had a good time watching SS while BvS was constant cringe and groan.  I do think that AoU is better than both though.

 

The Phantom better than Batman 89?  Ewww.  Perhaps your friend just preferred purple over black, or Zane over Keaton.  Zane is a sexy beast after all.

post #491 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBM View Post

  Zane is a sexy beast after all.

Yes.
post #492 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBM View Post
 

I like pie.

 

But yes I do think SS was a hundred times better than BvS.  I actually had a good time watching SS while BvS was constant cringe and groan.  I do think that AoU is better than both though.

 

The Phantom better than Batman 89?  Ewww.  Perhaps your friend just preferred purple over black, or Zane over Keaton.  Zane is a sexy beast after all.

 

Oops. I just remembered that it wasn't The Phantom, it was The Shadow.

 

He had a weird Alec Baldwin obsession going on. (On the plus side, he introduced me to Glengarry Glen Ross so I can't be angry with him.)

post #493 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Oops. I just remembered that it wasn't The Phantom, it was The Shadow.

WELL THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING!
post #494 of 1308

I'm embarrassed that I got those two mixed up, Mike! 

 

FORGIVE ME

post #495 of 1308

The Shadow is great!

post #496 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I'm embarrassed that I got those two mixed up, Mike! 

FORGIVE ME

This once...
post #497 of 1308
post #498 of 1308

Goddamn it, Leto!

post #499 of 1308

post #500 of 1308

Little late to get caught up, but I liked this. Some of it I loved, but on pure entertainment value I was more entertained upon first viewing than the theatrical cut of BvS.

 

I will say, the bar scene really, really worked. From Diablo's story to Boomerang's "What about the kids?" to Harley's "Own that shit", that's what the movie should have been allowed to be the whole time. 

 

I really want to see this cast and characters again. Well, not Katana, she didn't belong at all. Throw her in Justice League so the good guys have another lady, why the hell was she lumped in here?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › SUICIDE SQUAD (2016) - POST-RELEASE THREAD