CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › SUICIDE SQUAD (2016) - POST-RELEASE THREAD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SUICIDE SQUAD (2016) - POST-RELEASE THREAD - Page 2

post #51 of 1308
You knew Slipknot was DOA when his mugshot is included in Waller's slide show for the government and WE HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN INTRODUCED TO HIM YET. Way to cunningly play it close to the vest, movie.
post #52 of 1308
So I take nobody likes Leto's Joker? Will Warners panic and recast him for Affleck's THE BATMAN?
post #53 of 1308

People will say "oh he wasn't that bad" or "He barely had any screen time, in the full Batman movie he'll have room to nail it!"

 

I'm not fond of second chances for things that I think suck ass based on my history with these DC movies.  The Bowie, sexy, interesting, unique take on Joker I was vaguely looking forward to is way way more interesting than what he actually chooses to do here.  

post #54 of 1308
If he kept his job despite all the shit he was reportedly pulling on the set, then Leto's probably got the job until he overdoses on something himself. By the time Affleck's solo Batfilm comes out, we could all be hearing blowjob testimonials about how drugs have cost us another rare and gifted baby bird of an actor.
post #55 of 1308

Oh man.  All of the crap he pulled on set is TOTALLY not justified now.  Ledger has little moments.  Where his eye twitches a certain way where you think "The method approached worked and was worth it for him" in the way you think about Daniel Day Lewis.  For Leto here, if he went method he wasted his and everyone's time.  It's all about random behavior and yelling and weird delivery but you never truly buy any of it.  It's mugging mugging mugging for the sake of it.  

 

It isn't crafting a performance, it's about being as obnoxious as possible.  

 

Also his Joker laugh(the slow weezing thing) is the worst Joker laugh ever.  

post #56 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
 

Oh man.  All of the crap he pulled on set is TOTALLY not justified now.  Ledger has little moments.  Where his eye twitches a certain way where you think "The method approached worked and was worth it for him" in the way you think about Daniel Day Lewis.  For Leto here, if he went method he wasted his and everyone's time.  It's all about random behavior and yelling and weird delivery but you never truly buy any of it.  It's mugging mugging mugging for the sake of it.  

 

It isn't crafting a performance, it's about being as obnoxious as possible.  

 

Also his Joker laugh(the slow weezing thing) is the worst Joker laugh ever.  

 

I guess from the film you don't get the impression that Joker himself is a criminal genius, but that's kind of integral to his character, is it not?

 

How smart is he in this? Do you think he'll even be competition for Batman in the next solo movie?

 

I wonder how they're planning on bridging that gap. I can't really imagine Leto's Joker pulling off even half the stuff Ledger's Joker was able to in TDK and that's a problem.

post #57 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
 

 

I guess from the film you don't get the impression that Joker himself is a criminal genius, but that's kind of integral to his character, is it not?

 

How smart is he in this? Do you think he'll even be competition for Batman in the next solo movie?

 

I wonder how they're planning on bridging that gap. I can't really imagine Leto's Joker pulling off even half the stuff Ledger's Joker was able to in TDK and that's a problem.

You never get a hold on his intelligence compared to say The Dark Knight.  This guy is a thug who leads other thugs with guns into doing things.  In fact he's the craziest Joker yet, which is not a compliment.  He's so out there and straight jacket looney that you don't really buy him as the type of criminal who would survive for 20 years against Affleck Batman, especially with the murder and what not.  He hatches schemes to rescue Harley, but it doesn't give you the impression of intelligence so much as blunt force action.

post #58 of 1308
The difference between what Leto is trying and what he ends up accomplishing is the difference between "heel heat" and "X-pac heat."
post #59 of 1308

Did the audience like the Mid Credits scene?

post #60 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

The difference between what Leto is trying and what he ends up accomplishing is the difference between "heel heat" and "X-pac heat."

YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
 

Did the audience like the Mid Credits scene?

I didn't stick around for the mid Credits, but my audience was pretty silent.  A joke got a reaction here and there, but it was very small.

post #61 of 1308

There was some scattered applause as the credits rolled, but the mid-credits scene was met with pretty much silence.

post #62 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post
 

There was some scattered applause as the credits rolled, but the mid-credits scene was met with pretty much silence.

 

This whole Nick Fury business after the credits is really played out at this point.

 

Studios should go with the dancing tree route or don't bother.

 

I mean, it's not like anybody doesn't know Justice League is coming, they dropped the trailer at Comic-Con. What purpose does it serve?

 

By the end of the first Iron Man, The Avengers was a pipe dream at the time that fans had been whispering about -- there was a genuine novelty about a Superhero team-up film. Not anymore.

 

edit: grammar

post #63 of 1308
Plus two people sitting at a table talking isn't exactly how you send your audience home on a high note.
post #64 of 1308

I'll bet some of the audience were wondering.

 

"Isn't Nick Fury Black?"

post #65 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
 

I'll bet some of the audience were wondering.

 

"Isn't Nick Fury Black?"

 

Where did his eye-patch go? Is this supposed to be a flashback?

post #66 of 1308
I was waiting for the stinger to have a piece of info I didn't know. Instead she gives him files on people we all know he's aware of.
post #67 of 1308

I heard this was pretty much Sharknado meets I am Legend, is dat truu?

post #68 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

I was waiting for the stinger to have a piece of info I didn't know. Instead she gives him files on people we all know he's aware of.

 

Plus he's already watched the videos with the nice little logos on them that Lex made for him.

post #69 of 1308
I don't know why, but I was 1000% sure that mid-credits scene was going to have Waller and Wayne bring up something to do with JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK. Some swamp explosion near Belle Reve, or something to setup Deadman. A bit of a letdown that it was just a vague promise that the Squad would fight the Justice League.
post #70 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynis View Post

A bit of a letdown that it was just a vague promise that the Squad would fight the Justice League.

 

Wait. That's what the scene was about?

 

It didn't read for me, like, at all.

 

Did anyone else get that?

post #71 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
 

 

Wait. That's what the scene was about?

 

It didn't read for me, like, at all.

 

Did anyone else get that?

 

Wayne clearly says (and I'm paraphrasing) "My friends and I will stop you."  Maybe not directly hinting they'll fight the Suicide Squad, but definitely implying they'll take Waller down if they have to.

post #72 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post
 

 

Wayne clearly says (and I'm paraphrasing) "My friends and I will stop you."  Maybe not directly hinting they'll fight the Suicide Squad, but definitely implying they'll take Waller down if they have to.

 

Okay, now I get it.

 

Because I have to be honest, it's not doing anything for me. I can't imagine it plays for general audiences, either.

 

Why didn't they just have Batman (or Wayne) facing off with the Joker in the mid-credits scene?

 

That would have been a better teaser by default.

post #73 of 1308
Wayne says something about how he knows what Waller is doing, and she just makes that badass coy face. And he turns and says his people will stop them if she continues.

Maybe instead of a straight faceoff film, the sequel could have the stakes raised even higher, while they also dodge the League, so we only get glimpses of the heroes crossing paths like with Joker.

Anyone else surprised to see Harley in her full cartoon getup? As goofy as it was, it made me chuckle.
post #74 of 1308

The mid-credits scene is posted on the previous page.

post #75 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynis View Post

Wayne says something about how he knows what Waller is doing, and she just makes that badass coy face. And he turns and says his people will stop them if she continues.

Maybe instead of a straight faceoff film, the sequel could have the stakes raised even higher, while they also dodge the League, so we only get glimpses of the heroes crossing paths like with Joker.

Anyone else surprised to see Harley in her full cartoon getup? As goofy as it was, it made me chuckle.

 

The thing is, with Superman alive (or even without him), the JL would wreck the whole Squad in 5 seconds.

 

It's the same problem BvS had but now you multiply that by 5.

post #76 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

The thing is, with Superman alive (or even without him), the JL would wreck the whole Squad in 5 seconds.

It's the same problem BvS had but now you multiply that by 5.

Oh, you mean just like in the source material that this film was adapted from? But then the writer devises something to shake up the status quo and entertain us!

Take a page from XMEN: APOCALYPSE (please don't). Character who's too powerful? Just break his legs!
post #77 of 1308
I liked the assault on arkham animated movie where the squad fought Batman and got their asses handed to them.
post #78 of 1308
Yeah, that was pretty great. I wish studios would make big expensive comic films where the whole world wasn't at stake, some little adventure like that. I know Affleck's Batman he's directing is adapted from ARKHAM ASYLUM, but I'll hold my enthusiasm.

These newish WB animated movies are real hit-and-miss. Freeman, I feel like you have similar taste to mine with all this comic bullshit. I've seen you list comics I hold dear. Do you like Batwoman? Have you seen BAD BLOOD?
post #79 of 1308

What I want to know is, did Freeman turn heads in his Harley costume? 

post #80 of 1308

I gotta say, I always assumed this movie would conclude with a "Batman ex machina" ending where he swoops in, cleans everyone's clock, and saves the day.

post #81 of 1308

Quick question for those who have seen it: is there anything visually that mandates a viewing on the big screen?  I'm not talking about 3D, I'm talking about the film itself.  Is there anything there that is particularly 'Wow, I'm glad that I saw that in a theater' from a visual standpoint?

post #82 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

Quick question for those who have seen it: is there anything visually that mandates a viewing on the big screen?  I'm not talking about 3D, I'm talking about the film itself.  Is there anything there that is particularly 'Wow, I'm glad that I saw that in a theater' from a visual standpoint?

No. Absolutely not. There's barely a memorable shot to be honest.

post #83 of 1308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

Did the audience like the Mid Credits scene?

In my screening, people went into a tizzy when BatFleck teased the fight between the two teams.
post #84 of 1308

I'm agreeing with Freeman and Kyle on all points with this one. I really liked it for the most part but goddamn was it slashed to ribbons in the editing room. I think I'll like the eventual extended cut a whole lot more. The first act is so schizo and all over the place that it really took me out of the movie. Mercifully it settles down into it's groove as soon as they hit Midway City and I got way more into it.

 

The Squad itself is really the film's strongest part. I thought they were uniformly great, even when we don't get too much screentime for some of them like Croc, Katana and Boomerang. I fucking LOVED Robbie's Harley. She's easily the best part of the movie and exactly what I wanted. You completely buy her adoration for...ugh THAT fucker (I'll get to him in a minute) and Robbie just makes it work. She probably has the best lines out of everyone, I liked the Killer App joke -shrug-, and just made me fall in love with this crazy and messed up girl, my favourite scenes were her calling Floyd "just another cold sociopath" and her sitting on the cop car, both where you see the wacky facade crack and fall for a second. Will Smith's Deadshot DOES get by a lot on being Will Smith but it really is his best role in years. Just a cool, badass motherfucker, the alleyway scene with Batman was great and he's a great lead for this cast.  I thought everyone got at least SOME time to shine. Except for fucking Slipknot who's ignoble existence is just hilarious. I swear he's in and out of the movie in barely 5 minutes. I did feel that Boomerang was just tricking him to see if the bombs were real, he wasn't exactly into that fight. Still, that would have played a fucking LOT better if we had at least SOME affection for the character...or any emotion for him really.

 

I would have liked some more scenes of bonding between the squadmates. It pissed me off that the Bar scene was cut so short based on the trailer. And that's where I feel all my issues are stemming from. Between this and BvS it feels like WB are just intentionally fucking themselves over by messing with these movies. It makes no sense at all.

 

One issue an extended cut WON'T fix though is The Joker. He's basically a gangster with some make up and tats that just growls all his fucking dialogue. There were sparks of things I liked in his performance but overall he just fucking sucks.  My friend and I were just talking about how fucking great Ledger was in the car ride home.

 

Other than that though I thought it was pretty good. I'd definitely see it again.

post #85 of 1308
I was happy to see Harley actually analyze other members. Summing up Deadshot and working them all, then finally talking to El Diablo and telling him to "Own that shit." and giving him the big breakthrough he needed.

I also really loved Diablo's final fight form. It may have just been a CG smashfight, but his design was so cool! I chuckled with glee when he became that awesome God-thing.
post #86 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post
 

The first THOR is way, way better than SUICIDE SQUAD.


yeah, but Bore 2 also has a way better critical reception than this. excuse me, Thor 2, sorry.

post #87 of 1308

Oh yeah, Diablo was totally the surprise hit of the movie. His scene in the bar was legitimately moving. Hernandez played the fuck out of it. And that final form was cool as fuck.

post #88 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown1138 View Post
 

No. Absolutely not. There's barely a memorable shot to be honest.

 

that's weird because the trailers have AT LEAST a dozen memorable shots.

 

did Trailer Park decide to use that stuff just for the trailers and cut all the goods out of the movie itself? what insidious self-promotion that would be...

 

"Look, we can make the most forgettable, bad flick look freakin' amazing! HIRE US FOR EVERYTHING..."

post #89 of 1308

Between this and the BvS reviews I really can't take critics seriously anymore. And this isn't coming from some "boo hoo, other people don't like the thing I like" mindset. Not liking either movie I totally get. But the sheer fucking vitriol directed at both movies just completely takes me by surprise. 

 

Cause I can honestly see NOTHING worthy of such absolute hate in this. Just pure hyperbole in the reviews.

Oh, and there are quite a few shots I loved on the big screen. Enchantress in front of the portal always looks great and Harley falling into the chemical vat was really well done. 

post #90 of 1308

this is how crucial editing is. such a shame to hear that it sounds like what could have been a solid, fun, interesting enough supervillain-team flick got hacked up so bad. though it certainly sounds like there are some fundamental story and conceptual problems, too.

 

still looking forward to seeing it for myself.

post #91 of 1308

It's the second or third best movie in the RESIDENT EVIL series. 

 

And I'm not just saying that because they both have hordes of zombies. SQUAD has that specific EVIL vibe of "A little too good for DTV but not really good enough for Theatrical" mixed with "Supposed to be dangerous and dark but if you cut out the swears this is a PG flick" and "The most meaningless, weightless, stakesless action imaginable" plus "Early 2000's CGI quality, nonsensical villain." 

 

It's bad, but I'd rather watch this again than IRON MAN 2, certainly.

post #92 of 1308

I'll also say that the blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment that recreates this image... 

 

 

...DID put a giant smile on my face and got applause from some folks. 

post #93 of 1308
I liked that a lot. I was happy to see the classic jester costume used, if only for a moment.

Harley's big wish was cute, too. I almost expected everything to be normal except there would be dozens of babies, all the same infancy.
post #94 of 1308

The editing is bad and the antagonists are terrible, too many on-the-nose needle drops and 3! helicopter crashes. But with lowered expectations I had a fine time at the movies with this. I thought Leto was fine in the too-little screentime he was given, and I thought most of the performances were solid. It kept the vibe at a b-movie level that was fun and I enjoyed the characters and their interactions. I was disappointed that it didn't live up to the promise of the trailers but it was entertaining enough and not the black hole of ponderous sorrow of Batman v Superman. I think a lot of the reviews and reactions are harsher than the film deserves and are more a sign of superhero fatigue and lingering fallout from BVS.  

post #95 of 1308

I do loathe hyper, gimmicky editing so sounds like the first part of this movie is gonna be a barf-fest for me. Glad I'm prepared. I'll bring a doggy bag.

 

Hopefully I can enjoy it some after it settles in/down/whatever.

post #96 of 1308


SUicide Squad - drunk in 3D.

Let's have this.
post #97 of 1308

Hope you dig it, Elvis!

post #98 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post
 

Hope you dig it, Elvis!

 

*Deletes "Hope Bono likes it* post, stares glumly at the wall*

post #99 of 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp View Post
 

 

that's weird because the trailers have AT LEAST a dozen memorable shots.

 

did Trailer Park decide to use that stuff just for the trailers and cut all the goods out of the movie itself? what insidious self-promotion that would be...

 

"Look, we can make the most forgettable, bad flick look freakin' amazing! HIRE US FOR EVERYTHING..."

 

There was a good chunk of the bar scene we saw in the trailers that was just gone in the final film.

post #100 of 1308
Thread Starter 
It begins...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/05/suicide-squad-s-retrograde-misogyny-the-trials-of-margot-robbie-s-harley-quinn.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by " 
But at a certain point in watching Suicide Squad, something becomes painfully obvious: It really seems to hate its women.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › SUICIDE SQUAD (2016) - POST-RELEASE THREAD