CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › The Crown - Netflix
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Crown - Netflix

post #1 of 75
Thread Starter 

This dropped yesterday and I haven't seen too much buzz about it.  Which is a shame, because the first three episodes I've watched have been great.  I was expecting Downton Abbey meets The King's Speech and instead it's been a pretty absorbing, lavish production, with some great supporting performances by Jared Harris, John Lithgow and Matt Smith, and a really compelling lead performance by Claire Foy as Elizabeth.  What I found fascinating was the intricacies of the transition of the crown from George VI to Elizabeth; I've only ever known one British monarch in my lifetime, so to see that succession play out has proven very interesting.

post #2 of 75

It's Peter Morgan, who gave us great historical interpretations of Nixon, Blair, QEII, and Clinton, so I am 110 percent here for this. My wife's a big costume drama person, so we're just waiting to watch it together. 

post #3 of 75
Thread Starter 

I'm watching the fourth episode right now, centered on the Great Smog of 1952, and it's just fantastic.

post #4 of 75

Crikey. I just read how much this show cost Netflix to make.

 

Not really a Royalist but might give it a go because of Morgan as I've enjoyed his other work. (Plus John Lithgow as Churchill!)

post #5 of 75
I really liked the first two episodes. Harris is especially fantastic as George VI. He managed to break my heart twice, with his duet with Princess Margaret and receiving the gifts on Christmas. Lithgow has also been great so far as Churchill.
post #6 of 75
Thread Starter 

I'm loving what they're doing with the Duke of Windsor.  And with Philip; Matt Smith has been killing it.

post #7 of 75

Started watching the first episode on a whim. Jared Harris has his second Supporting Actor in a Drama Emmy nomination sewn up. 


Matt Smith is also great - I really like how they underplay the fact Philip knows first how sick the King is. I saw Ben Miles play Thomas Cromwell in the stage production of Wolf Hall and he was fantastic, so it's interesting to see him play another counselor to the king. 

 

Being born in the 80s, I've only ever known the British royal family as older, so it's very weird to see Philip in particular as a blonde, handsome dude. 

The plan is to continue this for six seasons, roughly a decade a piece. I'm curious to see if they recast - and I'm also really interested to see the season set in the 70s and 80s, particularly the assassination of Lord Mountbatten. 

post #8 of 75

Just finished the first episode and found myself enjoying this a lot more than I anticipated. You can really see where the money went here, and Rupert Gregson-Williams' score is absolutely wonderful. I've never taken much notice of his work before but I can see his profile seems to be rising, having acted as a composer for Wonder Woman and Hacksaw Ridge recently.

 

Full agree with the praise for Jared Harris. It's such a gentle, heartbreaking performance. 

 

John Lithgow is now my ideal Penguin for future Batman movies. I don't know why I didn't think of this before but if he just played him as the Churchill of crime in Gotham City, I'd be a very happy man indeed.

 

Going to watch the rest of the episodes slowly over the week. This doesn't seem like a show that would benefit a Daredevil-style binge-watch. 

post #9 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

Started watching the first episode on a whim. Jared Harris has his second Supporting Actor in a Drama Emmy nomination sewn up. 


Matt Smith is also great - I really like how they underplay the fact Philip knows first how sick the King is. I saw Ben Miles play Thomas Cromwell in the stage production of Wolf Hall and he was fantastic, so it's interesting to see him play another counselor to the king. 

Being born in the 80s, I've only ever known the British royal family as older, so it's very weird to see Philip in particular as a blonde, handsome dude. 


The plan is to continue this for six seasons, roughly a decade a piece. I'm curious to see if they recast - and I'm also really interested to see the season set in the 70s and 80s, particularly the assassination of Lord Mountbatten. 

If that's the plan, I wonder if we might get Helen Mirren for the final season or two (assuming they don't opt to simply age up the original actors with makeup). I would love to see her take on the role one last time.

I've only seen the first two episodes, but I'm loving this so far. Jared Harris is simply spectacular as King George, playful and heartbreaking in equal measure, but what impresses me the most so far is how the show captures the dynamic between Elizabeth and Philip. Their trip to Kenya as part of the royal tour is a great example of this.
post #10 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Senior View Post


If that's the plan, I wonder if we might get Helen Mirren for the final season or two (assuming they won't opt to simply age up the original actors with makeup).

 

I mean, it'll really depend, won't it? Doing six seasons sequentially would probably allow them to get Mirren, especially since they've already begun shooting season two. But I really do like Claire Foy - and I think that there's some things you can do to subtly allude to the passage of time without caking on the makeup. 

post #11 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

Just finished the first episode and found myself enjoying this a lot more than I anticipated. You can really see where the money went here, and Rupert Gregson-Williams' score is absolutely wonderful. I've never taken much notice of his work before but I can see his profile seems to be rising, having acted as a composer for Wonder Woman and Hacksaw Ridge recently.

 

With a main theme by Hans Zimm! 

 

I really love that music at the end with the duck hunt and the desk. 

post #12 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Senior View Post

If that's the plan, I wonder if we might get Helen Mirren for the final season or two (assuming they don't opt to simply age up the original actors with makeup). I would love to see her take on the role one last time.
 

 

I approve of this but only if we can also get cameos by Michael Sheen and Dennis Quaid as Blair and Bush.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post
 

I really love that music at the end with the duck hunt and the desk. 

 

Yes, that was absolutely beautiful.

post #13 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

 

I approve of this but only if we can also get cameos by Michael Sheen and Dennis Quaid as Blair and Bush.

 

 

Yes, that was absolutely beautiful.

 

Quaid was Clinton. Let's get Josh Brolin back as Bush. 

I also want them to cover this: 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/queen-elizabeth-II/10213335/Full-text-of-Queens-speech-for-outbreak-of-World-War-Three.html

post #14 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

I mean, it'll really depend, won't it? Doing six seasons sequentially would probably allow them to get Mirren, especially since they've already begun shooting season two. But I really do like Claire Foy - and I think that there's some things you can do to subtly allude to the passage of time without caking on the makeup. 

Perhaps, but thirtysomething Foy as Elizabeth in her seventies/eighties might be stretching credulity somewhat. I do love her mannered yet authentic performance so far, though, and I hope they can keep her in the role for as many seasons as possible.
post #15 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

 

Quaid was Clinton. 

 

Ah, yes. Of course he was. Not sure why I had Bush on the mind. (Insert innuendo here.)

post #16 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Senior View Post


Perhaps, but thirtysomething Foy as Elizabeth in her seventies/eighties might be stretching credulity somewhat. I do love her mannered yet authentic performance so far, though, and I hope they can keep her in the role for as many seasons as possible.

 

I mean, this is true, but Foy is 32, and would be 38 by the time they finished filming. That's both older than Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connelly were when they shot Beautiful Mind, and it's been nearly 20 years since that movie's makeup (which I thought was pretty great). So there's probably a lot they could do. 

 

The problem is that I don't think you want to recast Smith, and so it would be weird to go from Smith and Foy to Smith and Mirren. 

 

I also think if you do it very gradually throughout the seasons, it wouldn't be too noticiable until the final seasons. Kind of how they slowly padded out Vincent Karthiser and shaved back his hairline over the course of Mad Men. 

 

I am very curious to see who they get to play the other Prime Ministers, the older versions of Charles, and of course, Diana. 

post #17 of 75

The Mat Smif as Philip performance is so fascinating to watch with all that's going on in America currently. It really reminds me of that interview Tim Kaine did where he talked about wanting to show that a strong man supporting a woman could be masculine, too. 

post #18 of 75
Trying to persuade my staunch Royalist, kiwi wife to stick with it. "They wouldn't behave like that!!"

As an actual brit, who could give a shit about the Royals, I think it's great. Loving that Philt the Greeks gaffs are present!
post #19 of 75

I really like Matt Smith in this. I mean, I liked him before this, but it's a different kind of performance here with much more importance on subtle looks and things unsaid. I always kind of wondered what prim and proper Elizabeth II saw in the clownish Philip but Morgan does a really good job at presenting the idea that the two balance one another out. I also very much like the complexity of Philip here, in that he's painted as equally supportive and resentful due to the dichotomy of Elizabeth being the wife who vowed to obey him and the Queen he's supposed to serve. 

post #20 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I really like Matt Smith in this. I mean, I liked him before this, but it's a different kind of performance here with much more importance on subtle looks and things unsaid. I always kind of wondered what prim and proper Elizabeth II saw in the clownish Philip but Morgan does a really good job at presenting the idea that the two balance one another out. I also very much like the complexity of Philip here, in that he's painted as equally supportive and resentful due to the dichotomy of Elizabeth being the wife who vowed to obey him and the Queen he's supposed to serve. 

Yeah, the scene where he practically begs Elizabeth to exempt him from kneeling during the coronation is a great example of this. He encourages Elizabeth to exercise her power and be assertive, but he also wants their relationship to follow certain marital traditions and expectations so as to spare him from embarrassment. Morgan and Smith bring out Philip's commitment and immense pride really well.

I am also pleasantly surprised by how prominent the Duke of Windsor's role has been this season. The scene in his Paris home where he's describing the coronation process to his guests, and then that sad moment at the end where it's clear his own lack of a coronation (or any kind of prominent position in the family) does wound him despite his assurances to the contrary, is so well written and performed. Amusingly, the actor who plays the Duke played Charles in The Queen.
post #21 of 75
Thread Starter 

The theme for this first season really seems to have been Elizabeth's optimism and newness and even common sense slowly being ground down by the weight of tradition.  It seems like every time she has a progressive thought or decision, some stuffy man in a suit has to remind her that it's simply not done that way, and she inevitably has to bow to it.  Even Philip, who himself has the radical idea of televising the coronation, chafes under Elizabeth not conforming to traditonal ideas and man and wife.  It''s interesting that she chooses to stand up to Philip's outdated ideas, but seems powerless to stand up to the traditions of the monarchy.

post #22 of 75
There's that great scene at the end of Ep 2 that really rams that home. She's walking through the palace and comes across the dowager Queen grandmother, who's completely in black, like some negative coloured Miss Havisham, and slowly and painfully curtsies while keeping eye contact locked.

It's an insanely ominous moment.
post #23 of 75

Five episodes in and I'm definitely picking up this show's soundtrack. I love the portrait of the Duke of Windsor as a bitter little man with nicknames for his family members but an unwavering love for his wife. 

 

Lithgow's portrayal of Churhill continues to be my favorite thing about this series, in a cast of very strong performances.

post #24 of 75

John Lithgow is so good in this, his scene at the end of Episode 7 teared me up. 

post #25 of 75
Jared Harris brought tears to my eyes during that Christmas scene.

I have to agree that the soundtrack is fantastic. Really enjoying the series.
post #26 of 75
I've avoided this because it looks like DOWNTOWN ABBEY, which is as boring as a dog's arse. Am I wrong?
post #27 of 75

Yes. I couldn't stand Downton Abbey and love this show. It's nothing like that, and Morgan is a far superior writer to Fellowes.

 

I don't really have a good comparison for you. Every episode is kind of The West Wing meets The Remains Of The Day. Sort of. I dunno. Just watch the first episode and see what you think.

 

ETA: If you like any of Morgan's other work (Frost/Nixon, Rush, The Damned United), you'll like this.

post #28 of 75
I'll give it a shit. Loved all those movies. Didn't know Morgan wrote RUSH.
post #29 of 75
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

I don't really have a good comparison for you. Every episode is kind of The West Wing meets The Remains Of The Day.

 

That's a pretty apt comparison.  Imagine though if The West Wing was set in the 1950s where you had all these good people still steeped in the social norms of the day.  There's a lot of "Wow, you had some great ideas and were charismatic as hell, but wow your attitudes towards women and minorities..."  And to its credit, the show doesn't really shy away from that.  It doesn't go out of its way to condemn it, but it doesn't sand off the rough edges either.  It's all very matter of fact.

post #30 of 75

I haven't gone back to the show since the first two episodes, but I was surprised to learn just how super fucking racist Prince Philiip is. 

post #31 of 75
Google Prince Phillip inappropriate.
post #32 of 75

Yeah, Phillip is kind of notorious for it. 

post #33 of 75
post #34 of 75

I did all of those things after the second episode. Hence the "super fucking racist." ;)

post #35 of 75

Guys I was so disappointed when we got teased with a possible Eisenhower appearance. I was all like WHAT CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED AMERICAN ACTOR IS GONNA PLAY IKE? IS IT GONNA BE LIKE THE BUTLER BUT IN ENGLAND? And then nothing. 

I love this show. Pip Torrens as Tommy Lacelles is maybe my favorite supporting role - he's like mean British Leo McGarry and it's great. 

 

Also, Margaret's pajamas. 

post #36 of 75

We watched the entire series with my in-laws over Christmas, including the last three, which we hadn't seen. 

 

My father in law is a tough guy. Grew up dirt poor, put himself through school, worked for the federal government for 30 plus years, was at the Pentagon on 9/11...

 

...he's also a dyed in the wool Republican who hated Obama for seven and a three quarters of his eight years, and insisted he would vote for "whoever the Republicans nominated, even if it was Howdy Doody." 

 

I have only seen this man cry twice. 

 

Once was at my wedding.

 

The other was during the scene where Churchill and Stephen Dillane talk about their dead kids. 

post #37 of 75

Yeah, John Lithgow better be at least considered for an Emmy for his work here. Much like Vincent D'Onofrio, he's one of those exemplary American character actors who people are so used to seeing great performances from that they stop recognizing how much work goes into crafting those characters. He really deserves some recognition here.

post #38 of 75

Just finished this series tonight....I feel the need to see shows like this one or two episodes per evening...watching them all in one go means missing a lot. 

 

Going in I was wondering how they'd make a woman who's main job seemed (to me) to be smiling vacantly while doing an annoying hand twirl in lieu of a wave. 

 

Peter Morgan's writing and the all 'round great acting turned me right around. Especially moving and insightful was the description of what the Coronation of the Queen means from a spiritual aspect. 

 

In a great cast I'd single out Matt Smith for especial praise. I loved him as Dr Who, but while watching him in that role I kind of thought "really promising actor; good luck trying to escape that part, and in his first major outing too!". This performance assured me he will do quite well post Who. 

 

Lithgow is awesome...funnily enough I've never really liked him apart of course from his part in the classic Buckaroo Banzai. He's great at chewing scenery as the elder Churchill. His performance with the painter was quite moving, but I can't help but think it's a bit trite: Churchill has a deep rich life experience that imo provided lots of grist for melancholia, and yes that's true even with the death of a beloved child. 

 

And AW YEAH that Zimmer BATMAN WORKER BEE MUSIC!

 

Really looking forward to Season two. 

post #39 of 75
post #40 of 75
Still making my way through this, episode by episode, and savoring every minute. Great to hear all the acclaim it's getting, and really looking forward to the second season -- KENNEDYS! Speaking of which, it's interesting to see the young Elizabeth and Philip as Britain's own "Camelot," with much of the same youth and glamor but also the tensions and cracks hidden from the public.
post #41 of 75

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the first season, and so I'm glad to see we're getting some more in December.

 

post #42 of 75

That is a fine, fine beard Mat Smif. I'm actually hoping they see the error of their ways and let them stick around for one more season. 
 

cannot wait for drug addicted anthony eden fucking up in the suez! 

post #43 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post
 

That is a fine, fine beard Mat Smif. I'm actually hoping they see the error of their ways and let them stick around for one more season. 

 

Who should stick around for one more season? 

 

ETA: Oh, I see. I just read that they're going to recast the actors as the characters get older. That's a shame. 

post #44 of 75

Yeah, the plan has been to recast every two seasons - six decades, six seasons is what I've heard. 

post #45 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the first season, and so I'm glad to see we're getting some more in December.



What the heck is Matt Smith's last line there? His accent is impenetrable sometimes to my American ears.
post #46 of 75
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Mat Smif: "There are some of us who are there for you no matter what."

 

QEII: "If only." 

 

 

The line is behind the above tag. 

post #47 of 75

Finally finished this in time for the Emmys this weekend. Foy and Lithgow are terrific - Lithgow owns his final episode w/ Stephen Dillane, and I hope the two get to work together again in the future. It's a shame that Harris had to be in the same category as the much showier Lithgow, because he brought so much warmth to George. Also gonna echo Boone's praise for Pip Torrens' Tommy - a consistent, priggish, Machiavellian highlight without being showy at all, but simply being exceptionally competent and dedicated to his work. Anyways, a beautifully acted series and I'm looking forward to Season 2.

post #48 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post
 

Margaret's pajamas. 

 

If I ever put a band together, this will be its name.

post #49 of 75

Olivia Colman has been cast as Queen Elizabeth for S3 and 4.

 

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/olivia-colman-the-crown-queen-elizabeth-season-3-1202600405/

 

That's fantastic.

post #50 of 75

Hey, I was super skeptical about Foy leaving but I'm 100 percent here for that. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Television
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › The Crown - Netflix