CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › Trumpocalypse Now
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trumpocalypse Now

post #1 of 18824
Thread Starter 

A place to vent and to speculate about the New World Order. GO!

post #2 of 18824

We'll get through this.  Life will go on.  History shows that we usually have a few terms of Dem power followed by a few terms of Pub power.  I guess we were due.

 

We're all Americans.  He is our president for better or for worse.  Ensure you don't lose your freedoms or sell them cheaply, and ensure that government obeys the rule of law.  

 

We'll get through this.  We will survive.

post #3 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

We'll get through this.  Life will go on.  History shows that we usually have a few terms of Dem power followed by a few terms of Pub power.  I guess we were due.

 

We're all Americans.  He is our president for better or for worse.  Ensure you don't lose your freedoms or sell them cheaply, and ensure that government obeys the rule of law.  

 

We'll get through this.  We will survive.

I wish it was that simple.  But the last 8 years, yeah we had a Dem president, but he had to fight tooth and nail to get anything done due to the Repub House and Senate.  Now we get a Repub Pres with a fundamentalist VP, and a Repub controlled...well, everything.  Trump will get a conservative Justice in.  They are pretty much free to destroy the country as they see fit.

post #4 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
 

I wish it was that simple.  But the last 8 years, yeah we had a Dem president, but he had to fight tooth and nail to get anything done due to the Repub House and Senate.  Now we get a Repub Pres with a fundamentalist VP, and a Repub controlled...well, everything.  Trump will get a conservative Justice in.  They are pretty much free to destroy the country as they see fit.

 

Again, we will survive.  We must ensure that we don't roll over on our freedoms and our rights under the rule of law.  We must not cede our liberties for the sake of comfort.

 

I'm talking survival, not complacency.

post #5 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

 

Again, we will survive.  We must ensure that we don't roll over on our freedoms and our rights under the rule of law.  We must not cede our liberties for the sake of comfort.

 

I'm talking survival, not complacency.

Once I get that fallout shelter built, then I'll breathe a little easier about my survival.

post #6 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
 

Once I get that fallout shelter built, then I'll breathe a little easier about my survival.

 

Funnily enough, the local nuclear plant chose this morning as the ideal time to test the emergency sirens around town at full volume.A little head's up about the test would've been nice.  We moved here recently and I'd never experienced one before. 

 

It was a fun minute scrambling to find some mention of a test on the internet while simultaneously doing an inventory of what belongings to scoop up on the way to the car.  Practice for things to come!

post #7 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

 

Again, we will survive.  We must ensure that we don't roll over on our freedoms and our rights under the rule of law.  We must not cede our liberties for the sake of comfort.

 

I'm talking survival, not complacency.

 

Agreed.

 

And if we want fuel for change, the next 4 years should provide a massive reservoir of them.

post #8 of 18824
My solace is that in four years, when the jobs aren't back, the wall isn't built, young poor men and women are dying in foreign wars, and the economy is fully for the 1% of the 1%, there is the probability of a younger, more progressive coalition of Democrats waiting in the wings. Today is the day to lick our wounds..tomorrow we start to rebuild...and punch Jill Stein voters...
post #9 of 18824
If every Stein voter went for Clinton Trump would still have won. Presumably Johnson siphoned more from Trump than he did Clinton. We need a real working class party, but I fear it may be too late for that.
post #10 of 18824

I'm starting a Kickstarter to fund relocating half a million Democratic Californian/New Yorker voters to Florida and Ohio for one month during the next election.  Just however long is needed to establish residency and vote.

post #11 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.S. Randlett View Post

If every Stein voter went for Clinton Trump would still have won. Presumably Johnson siphoned more from Trump than he did Clinton. We need a real working class party, but I fear it may be too late for that.

Yeah but Stein voters were way more smug...see Al Khazzam there on the 2016 thread.
I hope, however misguided the hope may be, that when the white working class sees that their jobs aren't coming back..and that they've been had..the Progressives can come back.
post #12 of 18824

The latest count I'm looking at shows Hilary ahead by 190,000 in the popular vote. That's some salt in the wound, there.

 

Thanks for the help, Gary Johnson, Jill Stein, and Harambe.

post #13 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasteofTape View Post

My solace is that in four years, when the jobs aren't back, the wall isn't built, young poor men and women are dying in foreign wars, and the economy is fully for the 1% of the 1%, there is the probability of a younger, more progressive coalition of Democrats waiting in the wings. Today is the day to lick our wounds..tomorrow we start to rebuild...and punch Jill Stein voters...


Only eight years after a Republican administration caused the Great Recession, they put another Republican in The White House. Some people just don't care about facts. 

post #14 of 18824
Because most
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post


Only eight years after a Republican administration caused the Great Recession, they put another Republican in The White House. Some people just don't care about facts. 


Because most working class Whites are more interested in race, religion, and party than they are about how shitty their lives actually are.
post #15 of 18824

Prediction!:  Weekend at Bernie's type scenario in the Supreme Court to ride out Trumpocalypse. 

post #16 of 18824
Popping in from Australia to express my sympathies - hang in there guys.
post #17 of 18824
Can't tell if I have post election anxiety, or if I'm just very hungover.
post #18 of 18824
Thread Starter 

Not to get all Barry Woodward on you, but here are some questions, NOT rhetorical, that will be answered over the next 4 years

 

1) Trump has promised to spend on America's Infrastructure. That's something Clinton and the Democrats pledged to do as well. Is this an area where Trump and Congress can cooperate?

 

2) Elizabeth Warren campaigns against the Big Banks, something Trump has also been outspoken about. Possible area of President/Congressional cooperation?

 

3) ........that's all i got. 

post #19 of 18824

you people do know burnie would have won? to bad that the DMC fucked him over.

post #20 of 18824

Yeah, nice going Darryl McDaniels.

post #21 of 18824

Weird times.

 

Deep weird.

post #22 of 18824

The two-party system is a tragic farce. This isn't a democracy, it's a house of cards.

 

I hope out of the utter debacle that was this election cycle, people wake up and start moving in action towards a legitimate democracy, more support for diversity of political choice, against Washington, against the corrupt parties, and against power-hungry individuals alike. I hope we start seeing more candidates campaigning on real change and value systems that they will champion (like Bernie did) so that, whatever your political leaning, you will have an option that lets you feel more represented and that might actually have a shot at something, be it in the House or Senate or whatever.

 

It will probably take forever for significant change to occur (and that's if it ever does, before this country dies). But I hope this is an impetus. That's about the only silver lining I can take away. If the GOP doesn't get completely busted into pieces over Trump, then they're nothing but talk and they can F off. Good luck to McMullin and Mindy Finn on their new conservative party, I hope they tear a nice chunk out of the RNC.

 

And I hope this doesn't discourage women in politics. The more the better.

post #23 of 18824

Clearly there is a huge cultural problem here, too, for a guy like Trump to get elected...but this is also the country that just elected Obama for two terms in a row. Maybe misogyny runs deeper than racism right now (I'm gonna say no on that one, though), but the polls of how people voted doesn't give as clear-cut a picture, other than obviously not a lot of minorities are going to vote for a guy who used racism in his campaigning the way Trump did.

 

In sum, both our culture and our political system are equal parts confusing and fucked.

post #24 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp View Post
 

Clearly there is a huge cultural problem here, too, for a guy like Trump to get elected...but this is also the country that just elected Obama for two terms in a row. Maybe misogyny runs deeper than racism right now (I'm gonna say no on that one, though), but the polls of how people voted doesn't give as clear-cut a picture, other than obviously not a lot of minorities are going to vote for a guy who used racism in his campaigning the way Trump did.

 

In sum, both our culture and our political system are equal parts confusing and fucked.

 

I think its pretty clear what happened. 

People dont want to vote for establishment politicians because they have done nothing but fuck us over. And people can like this or not, but Hillary epitomizes establishment politicians as someone who has been screwing over American workers and our nation for 30 years.

Im sure Trump wont be much different and IMO he is just an establishment corporate republican, but he didnt run on that. He ran on attacking the establishment, while Hillary was talking about Pepe the Frog, he was addressing out of work construction workers and underpaid laborers, saying the reason they dont have anything is because of the establishment bullshit.

 

I live in FL, at least half of the people i know voted for Trump. But they didnt want Trump, not one of them i can think of wanted Trump, they wanted Sanders. 

Now i dont know how you go from Sanders to Trump, but i have as much of a hard time going from Sanders to Clinton. They simply wanted something different, a politician who cared more about them than corporations. 

post #25 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elahrairah View Post
 

 

I think its pretty clear what happened. 

People dont want to vote for establishment politicians because they have done nothing but fuck us over. And people can like this or not, but Hillary epitomizes establishment politicians as someone who has been screwing over American workers and our nation for 30 years.

Im sure Trump wont be much different and IMO he is just an establishment corporate republican, but he didnt run on that. He ran on attacking the establishment, while Hillary was talking about Pepe the Frog, he was addressing out of work construction workers and underpaid laborers, saying the reason they dont have anything is because of the establishment bullshit.

 

I live in FL, at least half of the people i know voted for Trump. But they didnt want Trump, not one of them i can think of wanted Trump, they wanted Sanders. 

Now i dont know how you go from Sanders to Trump, but i have as much of a hard time going from Sanders to Clinton. They simply wanted something different, a politician who cared more about them than corporations. 

 

If this is true, note if, fuck these people and their crippling cognitive dissonance.

post #26 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post
 

 

If this is true, note if, fuck these people and their crippling cognitive dissonance.

 

Lack of empathy for who?

60% of working Americans make less than 30k and are working 1.7 jobs, have a 1,000 dollars or less in their savings account. They are one emergency away from devastation. 60% of the population, not whites, not blacks, no mexicans, just 60% of Americans. And the only people speaking to them in any way, right or wrong, lie or not, was Sanders and Trump.

 

I dont believe for one second Trump is concerned abou these people, but Hillary avoided speaking to the working poor and lower middle class like they had the fucking plague. 

post #27 of 18824

Yes, a businessman who didn't give a shit about them until they could get him elected versus a woman who's spent thirty years in public service actively working to make lives better.  I totally get it.

post #28 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elahrairah View Post
 

 

I think its pretty clear what happened. 

People dont want to vote for establishment politicians because they have done nothing but fuck us over. And people can like this or not, but Hillary epitomizes establishment politicians as someone who has been screwing over American workers and our nation for 30 years.

Im sure Trump wont be much different and IMO he is just an establishment corporate republican, but he didnt run on that. He ran on attacking the establishment, while Hillary was talking about Pepe the Frog, he was addressing out of work construction workers and underpaid laborers, saying the reason they dont have anything is because of the establishment bullshit.

 

I live in FL, at least half of the people i know voted for Trump. But they didnt want Trump, not one of them i can think of wanted Trump, they wanted Sanders. 

Now i dont know how you go from Sanders to Trump, but i have as much of a hard time going from Sanders to Clinton. They simply wanted something different, a politician who cared more about them than corporations. 

 

I'm quoting this because I've been saying this to my friends (and some random online strangers) over the past day.

post #29 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post
 

Yes, a businessman who didn't give a shit about them until they could get him elected versus a woman who's spent thirty years in public service actively working to make lives better.  I totally get it.

 

Same as Hilary. The only difference being she didnt concern herself with them at all and even worse, people knew her history.

post #30 of 18824

  Many establishment politicians were voted into the House and Senate.  And Trump himself is establishment, but from the side of private industry rather than government.

post #31 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elahrairah View Post
 

 

Same as Hilary. The only difference being she didnt concern herself with them at all and even worse, people knew her history.

 

Did you just choose not to read "thirty years of public service" or do those words just not mean anything to you?

post #32 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post
 

 

Did you just choose not to read "thirty years of public service" or do those words just not mean anything to you?

That didn't mean anything to a lot of people. Plenty of dems don't like her, plenty of independents don't like her, a lot of republicans hate her, and the many apathetic non-voters who probably don't like Trump either weren't motivated by her.

 

So yes, her 30 years of public service clearly don't mean much.

post #33 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post
 

 

Did you just choose not to read "thirty years of public service" or do those words just not mean anything to you?

 

No i saw it, i just dont see it as "making lives better". You saw it as "making lives better" i saw it at "we know her history.....".

The support of private prisons, expanding the war on the drugs, expanding war every chance she got, removal of the GS, NAFTA, TPP, etc. this in no way has improved anyone life, in fact its hard to find a single economist youll find that will not tell you about the untold devastation on our country that many of these things have produced.

post #34 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeJota View Post
 

That didn't mean anything to a lot of people. Plenty of dems don't like her, plenty of independents don't like her, a lot of republicans hate her, and the many apathetic non-voters who probably don't like Trump either weren't motivated by her.

 

So yes, her 30 years of public service clearly don't mean much.

 

Except that she won the popular vote.  Ignorance is bliss.  Enjoy Trump as he dismantles everything you hold dear.  I hope it feels good to be so right.

post #35 of 18824

Here is my number 1 worry about how the new Dark American Regime will immediately effect my life.

 

My income is minimal, so I qualify for free health care under the ACA in Rhode Island. I'll most likely be able to qualify for one more year, right before Trump gets sworn in in January.

 

It seems like the stage is set to allow Trump to repeal the ACA in 2017, with the House and Senate both having Republican majorities. That means I'll be out on my ass in 2018.

 

So, basically I need to figure out a way to triple or quadruple my income by the end of 2017 if I want to be able to afford doctor visits and medication in 2018.

 

Special message to Republican voters who voted with this issue in mind: Fuck you, you ignorant fucking idiots. You're upset about your premiums going up this year? If the ACA gets repealed, your premiums WILL NOT GO DOWN by ONE FUCKING CENT. That's how private business works. The insurance companies will say "Thanks voters! By the way, FUCK YOU, GOT MINE." As far as I can tell, never in history has legislation benefitting big business led to one cent of benefits Trickling Down to the people.

post #36 of 18824
Thread Starter 

There IS a possibility that ACA will remain in some form. Trump and the GOP has been saying "repeal and REPLACE", not "repeal and forget about" Obamacare. 

post #37 of 18824

post #38 of 18824

Replace with.... ________.

 

During the 2nd debate, Trump's answer was "I'll get some guy to work on some plan, probably. The best plan, very good plan." I'm sure the GOP have top men on it.

post #39 of 18824

Its also worth mentioning that Colorado passed single payer and California passed some weird law that requires insurance companies to have the same practices as the VA.

 

While i feel for the people who are relying on expanded medicaid, fact is the majority of states still dont have it and even if they did it would not begin to address our health care issues.

post #40 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
 

Replace with.... ________.

 

During the 2nd debate, Trump's answer was "I'll get some guy to work on some plan, probably. The best plan, very good plan." I'm sure the GOP have top men on it.

 

Lets not forget it was the republicans who wrote the ACA that you are now defending.

 

Maybe we should give him a chance.

Maybe he will let states be more lenient with what they are doing and we will see single payer take hold in many states?

post #41 of 18824

To be more specific, I'm on Rhode Island's expansion of Medicaid coverage under the ACA.

post #42 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elahrairah View Post

Lack of empathy for who?
60% of working Americans make less than 30k and are working 1.7 jobs, have a 1,000 dollars or less in their savings account. They are one emergency away from devastation. 60% of the population, not whites, not blacks, no mexicans, just 60% of Americans. And the only people speaking to them in any way, right or wrong, lie or not, was Sanders and Trump.
The problem with this narrative is that the majority of people making $40,000 or less a year voted for Clinton. It was 50k+ who went to Trump, with the majority in the 75k range.
post #43 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post


The problem with this narrative is that the majority of people making $40,000 or less a year voted for Clinton. It was 50k+ who went to Trump, with the majority in the 75k range.

 

Id be very interested to see some actual data on that because its contrary to the data we have had in the past. It also opposes much of what else has been out there. 

 

Lets also not forget that he did what was nearly impossible because the working poor came out and voted. A segment that virtually gave up on voting. Which im sure by now has not been included in any statistics.

post #44 of 18824

Can't they at least drop a surprise Episode VIII teaser to make us feel better?

post #45 of 18824

The United States gives Mexico hundreds of millions of dollars in foreign aid every year. What if the Trump administration's way of making them "pay" for the wall is withholding those funds?


Edited by Barry Woodward - 11/10/16 at 10:00am
post #46 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieFerguson View Post
 

Can't they at least drop a surprise Episode VIII teaser to make us feel better?

 

Oh man that would be perfect right about now.

 

That and booze. Much booze.  All the booze.

post #47 of 18824
Oops. Someone really needs to update the summary for Full Frontal tonight.

post #48 of 18824

I really hope her opening monologue is just sixty seconds of her screaming.   Because that's basically what I feel like doing right now.

post #49 of 18824

Oh she is going to bring the fury tonight.

 

I can only imagine LWT willl be 40 minutes of anger and disgust.

post #50 of 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elahrairah View Post
 

 

Id be very interested to see some actual data on that because its contrary to the data we have had in the past. It also opposes much of what else has been out there. 

 

Lets also not forget that he did what was nearly impossible because the working poor came out and voted. A segment that virtually gave up on voting. Which im sure by now has not been included in any statistics.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Political Discourse
CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › Trumpocalypse Now