CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › Trumpocalypse Now
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trumpocalypse Now - Page 299

post #14901 of 40490
Ok, shut it down. See if I give a shit.
post #14902 of 40490
What's doubly hilarious is that the shutdown will coincide perfectly with that first-100-days mark he's so desperate to have accomplished anything by.
post #14903 of 40490

It's going to be interesting to see how far blaming the Democrats will get them if/when the govt shuts down.

 

Probably further than we'd like to think.

post #14904 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

What's doubly hilarious is that the shutdown will coincide perfectly with that first-100-days mark he's so desperate to have accomplished anything by.

Yeah, about that . . .

 

Trump now calls that whole 100 day thing a "ridiculous standard," even though that metric is motivating all of his current decisions. Ha, Don-Don, you dopey fuckstick.

post #14905 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy dunlop View Post

The great dealmaker is threatening to shut down the government if we don't agree to pay for the wall he promised Mexico would pay for.  

https://apnews.com/80b641d3546c4003b704443c1eab1585/Trump's-budget-chief-says-money-for-border-wall-a-must


My favorite part:

Quote:
The $1 trillion-plus legislation is leftover business from last year's election-season gridlock and would cover the operating budgets of every Cabinet department except for Veterans Affairs.


Because fuck us, right? Fuck us specifically.
post #14906 of 40490
"We control the three branches of the federal government, but we'll shut this down until we get what we want!"

Good luck selling that talking point.
post #14907 of 40490

People didn't blame the Republicans for the last shutdown (okay, they did a little). But it was spun as Obama's unwillingness to cooperate.

 

I have doubts, especially since they control all three branches, that that line will work another time. People's impulse is to blame the party in power. 

post #14908 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

First of all, it's not: 

http://www.snopes.com/donald-drumpf/

Second of all, it amuses you. That's great. Fine. You do you. 

Personally, I think continuing to use Drumpf, months after the election and months after motherfuckers like Jeff Sessions have begun the work of tearing apart the lives of our most vulnerable citizens, serves as nothing more than a reminder to the complete ineffectiveness of the cultural strategy towards him - if we just make fun of him enough, if we just humiliate him enough, if we laugh at him, then he'll cower, he'll lose, and we'll win. This man does not feel shame. The evil around him does not feel shame, in fact - it believes it is righteous. It's a deflect and a dodge, and it irritates me across the board - not just when you do it, but when I see it on social media. 

I have a tendency to believe we should name the forces we're fighting, to call these motherfuckers out by name and shame, rather than using a dumb joke invented by a talk show host. But if you're going to call him anything, might I suggest 45* or the President*? Both are just as lame as Drumpf, but I like them - the first because it reduces him to a number the way he reduces women and people, and the use of the asterisk in both delegitimizes him. 

This has been your daily edition of Boone Daniels, humorless scold.

Jeez Boone, don't be such a Drumpf.
post #14909 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
 

 

It boggles the fucking mind how that song can briefly sound like one song I'd like hear, then switch to another song I'd like to hear, then end up making me want to drive off a cliff.

 

 

It's amazing how it takes "Werewolves of London" and "Sweet Home Alabama" and makes them both horrible....and "Sweet Home Alabama" is already pretty awful! 

post #14910 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavez View Post
 

 

 

It's amazing how it takes "Werewolves of London" and "Sweet Home Alabama" and makes them both horrible....and "Sweet Home Alabama" is already pretty awful! 

 

I want to ensure that the words 'terrible' and 'awful' are not associated with 'Werewolves of London.'  I don't care about that overplayed Skynyrd song that I change the channel on, but leave Warren Zevon out of this.

post #14911 of 40490

What has always bugged me about that Skynyrd song is the band is from JACKSONVILLE, FL.

post #14912 of 40490
Democrats are going to be blamed for all of the Republicans' failures, so fuck it.
post #14913 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Democrats are going to be blamed for all of the Republicans' failures, so fuck it.

 

While that's true, I sincerely hope that rational Republicans (and they do exist) will go 'wait a minute...you had the majority everywhere.  That doesn't make sense.'

post #14914 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post
 

What has always bugged me about that Skynyrd song is the band is from JACKSONVILLE, FL.

 

Northern FL = (for all intents and purposes) Southern Alabama

post #14915 of 40490

Those "rational Republicans" voted for a known fraud and sexual predator. Can you be both "rational" and a fool/sucker?

post #14916 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRan View Post

Northern FL = (for all intents and purposes) Southern Alabama
As being from Jacksonville (not bragging, doesn't even feel like home anymore) lets give Alabama the panhandle (thats where the rednecks bathe), Jax is more southeast Georgia, at least that includes Savannah.

Alabama is shit.
post #14917 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post
 

Those "rational Republicans" voted for a known fraud and sexual predator. Can you be both "rational" and a fool/sucker?

 

The ones that I know who voted for him did so for economic reasons and held their noses while they cast their votes.

I'm not defending Trump here (God knows I despise him), but most voters have to compromise their vote somewhat...weighing the positives against the negatives.

post #14918 of 40490

How do these rational people think a person like Trump can put together a cogent tax policy (because that's all that matters to their cold hearts)?

 

They're fools, suckers, or both. Fuck em.

post #14919 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post
 

How do these rational people think a person like Trump can put together a cogent tax policy (because that's all that matters to their cold hearts)?

 

They're fools, suckers, or both. Fuck em.

 

My brothers voted for Trump and they have anything but cold hearts.  I understand why they voted for him, even though I disagree with their reasons.  They're both coming around on their mistake.

 

So kindly dial it the fuck back on making general statements like that.

post #14920 of 40490

if you vote for a racist sexual predator because you MIGHT like his non-existent tax policy, I don't know where to go with that outlook aside from "cold-hearted". Sorry.

post #14921 of 40490
My brother voted for Trump. I love him to death but he's a fucking idiot for doing it. No point in denying it.
post #14922 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

 

I want to ensure that the words 'terrible' and 'awful' are not associated with 'Werewolves of London.'  I don't care about that overplayed Skynyrd song that I change the channel on, but leave Warren Zevon out of this.

 

Oh, anyone besmirching Zevon's musical talent will be challenged to pistols at dawn. 

post #14923 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post
 

if you vote for a racist sexual predator because you MIGHT like his non-existent tax policy, I don't know where to go with that outlook aside from "cold-hearted". Sorry.

 

There's a spectrum of Trump voters.  On one side, you have people who voted for him grudgingly because:

- They felt abandoned by the Obama administration/Democrats

- They felt like the best way forward for the country was to adopt Republican economic principles and felt that that need outweighed everything else

- They absolutely could not cast a vote for Hilary out of principle.

These people need to be reached out to over the coming two years.  Don't belittle them...point out the flaws in their logic and appeal to their sense of responsibility to right the ship.

 

On the other side, you have the rabid supporters who attended every rally and fully bought into the bullshit.  THOSE people are irredeemable and can fuck right off.

post #14924 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post

How do these rational people think a person like Trump can put together a cogent tax policy (because that's all that matters to their cold hearts)?
Because people compartmentalize shit in their heads and tend not to accept information that doesn't fit with what they want to hear. This is well-known, long-established human behavior. They needed a candidate whose opinion wasn't "taxes are great, let's have some more of 'em, but don't worry, you'll get a bunch of social services you don't use in return," and Trump made vague noises in that direction, and their brains started working to sweep any other questions about him under the rug.
Quote:
They're fools, suckers, or both. Fuck em.
I'd say you're going to regret this attitude when the utter disregard of people like yourself for people like them gives us Trump Round 2, but by this point we've already established that you don't have the self-awareness to recognize that.
post #14925 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

 

The ones that I know who voted for him did so for economic reasons and held their noses while they cast their votes.

I'm not defending Trump here (God knows I despise him), but most voters have to compromise their vote somewhat...weighing the positives against the negatives.

 

I just don't understand how Hillary could be slandered as "being in bed with Wall Street" and "being bad for the economy" with one brush....I mean, I think someone in bed with Wall St is bad for the economy, sure, but the neocons who drive the GOP think unfettering Wall St is the KEY to unleashing the economy. 

post #14926 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post

What has always bugged me about that Skynyrd song is the band is from JACKSONVILLE, FL.

Those of us in Jacksonville prefer to say that they were from Orange Park....
post #14927 of 40490

A very strong values statement was made when they pulled the lever for Donald Trump, perhaps the strongest one they've ever made. I will never not hold people accountable for that - they REALLY fucked up.

 

Glossing over their inexcusable lapse in judgement by saying "Well they had their reasons" lets them off the hook, and that's not okay.

post #14928 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post
 

A very strong values statement was made when they pulled the lever for Donald Trump, perhaps the strongest one they've ever made. I will never not hold people accountable for that - they REALLY fucked up.

 

I agree, they really fucked up.

 

But dial it back on those who aren't rabid supporters and can be turned from the dark side.  Reach out to them and educate them so that we don't have to worry about 2018 or 2020.  Dismissing all of them only creates resentment on both sides, and we're going to need everyone that we can get in order to take back our country.

post #14929 of 40490
Judas is right...the only way this gets better is through pointing out Trump's shortcomings as facts and listening and understanding and helping people realize that he's not good for any of us. Getting just immediately pissy and confrontational, instead of helping them come to the right conclusion rationally, will only most likely entrench them on the wrong side of the fence even further if you put them in a position to get defensive about it..
post #14930 of 40490

When do they atone for their sins?

 

It feels morally wrong giving them a pass on this.

post #14931 of 40490

Let me ask this...does being called a 'libtard' piss you off?  How about a 'dummocrat' or 'Obummer supporter?'  How do you like the idea of getting casually dismissed out of hand?  It pisses you off, doesn't it?  It doesn't make you want to continue a dialog with the other person...it makes you get defensive.

 

It goes the other way too.

 

This shit ends when people communicate and talk, not when they belittle and dismiss.

post #14932 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post
 

When do they atone for their sins?

 

It feels morally wrong giving them a pass on this.

 

Oh fuck that arrogance.  

post #14933 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post

When do they atone for their sins?

It feels morally wrong giving them a pass on this.
It's not giving them a pass...it's realizing that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. You can show Trump supporters the facts...but they're not going to believe it until they're ready to. I'm sure we all have relatives and acquaintances that we feel like we might flip out on but to rise above that level of thinking you gotta understand how that approach won't solve anything..
post #14934 of 40490
It's been my personal experience that there's little interest in coming together to find common ground on this. I've left the door open for that, and made the effort to start a dialog. 
 
Their preferred option has been to forget this thing ever happened.
post #14935 of 40490
Judas, you must un-brother your brothers! They must pay for their sins!
post #14936 of 40490

Me while I wait for them to get on the right side of the fence:

 

post #14937 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post
 

 

Keep trying.

post #14938 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post

When do they atone for their sins?

It feels morally wrong giving them a pass on this.
And here we get to the heart of the matter: for you, it's not about getting the country out of this horrible fucking mess. It's about asserting your own moral superiority over others, and whether that actually improves matters or not is irrelevant so long as you can jerk yourself off to the sound of your own amazingness.
post #14939 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

 

Oh fuck that arrogance.  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post


And here we get to the heart of the matter: for you, it's not about getting the country out of this horrible fucking mess. It's about asserting your own moral superiority over others, and whether that actually improves matters or not is irrelevant so long as you can jerk yourself off to the sound of your own amazingness.

 

Stated more eloquently.

post #14940 of 40490
But seriously, un-brother everyone.
post #14941 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA View Post

Me while I wait for them to get on the right side of the fence:


I don't disagree. But NOT waiting isn't gonna get you the results you want either. And putting them on the defensive about their political views sure as HELL won't. That'll just cause em to bury their heads in the sand even deeper..
post #14942 of 40490
Quote:
 And here we get to the heart of the matter: for you, it's not about getting the country out of this horrible fucking mess. It's about asserting your own moral superiority over others, and whether that actually improves matters or not is irrelevant so long as you can jerk yourself off to the sound of your own amazingness.

 

There's truth there - I won't deny I can be bit of a smug prick. Nobody's perfect.

 

But at the same time I see a situation where my folks voted to systematically remove a healthcare safety net that could very well save my wife's life someday. I'm having a hard time coming around on it.

post #14943 of 40490

I also think a lot of it comes down to what we think our own personal responsibility is. 

 

For example, I'm a straight bearded white guy who grew up in Ohio, spent summers in Virginia, and a lot of years studying and reading about the Midwest and the South. I have friends who are trans, who are gay, who are people of color, who are the children of immigrants, who are immigrants themselves. It's not my place - it's not my responsibility - to tell them not to be angry towards Trump voters, regretful or no. 

 

But I do think, because I'm a straight white dude, I have a responsibility to temper my anger (except on here with you assholes) and reach out whenever I can and try to empathize with Trump voters (even though I may think they made an awful decision), to understand their concerns about this country, and to try and engage them in dialogue - because this is what my privilege as a straight white dude affords me. 

 

I've been trying to do this in my personal life and on social media among people I know since the election, and it's actually worked out pretty well. I know there are people that I'm never going to convince - and I know there are people who cannot be convinced. But if you approach them with empathy, and a commitment to your own principles, I've found you can get pretty far in getting them to agree with you. 

post #14944 of 40490
I didn't know Boone was bearded. This changes everything!

Un-brother.
post #14945 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post
 

There's truth there - I won't deny I can be bit of a smug prick. Nobody's perfect.

 

But at the same time I see a situation where my folks voted to systematically remove a healthcare safety net that could very well save my wife's life someday. I'm having a hard time coming around on it.

 

And that's fair to have an emotional response when you are directly affected by something.  I respect that.  Sometimes you need to step back and take an objective look at something before you can empathize with an opposing point of view.  That can be hard to do.

post #14946 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post


I don't disagree. But NOT waiting isn't gonna get you the results you want either. And putting them on the defensive about their political views sure as HELL won't. That'll just cause em to bury their heads in the sand even deeper..


Not many Trump supporters in Chicago (**takes deep breath** ahhh), but my wife's friend's husband's Mom(phew!) knows her son and his wife do not support Trump...at all... but sent them an anniversary card with Trump stickers all over it.  A person like that, they are never coming around.  Guy is, like, the nicest guy on Earth too.  Feel bad for him.

post #14947 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

I didn't know Boone was bearded. This changes everything!

Un-brother.

 

Bearded and fat. 

post #14948 of 40490
Big cans?
post #14949 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post
 

 

Bearded and fat. 

 

Have a sister?

 

Asking for a friend named Bradito.

post #14950 of 40490
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA View Post


Not many Trump supporters in Chicago (**takes deep breath** ahhh), but my wife's friend's husband's Mom(phew!) knows her son and his wife do not support Trump...at all... but sent them an anniversary card with Trump stickers all over it.  A person like that, they are never coming around.  Guy is, like, the nicest guy on Earth too.  Feel bad for him.
No...that is definitely someone who will more than likely never come around. Getting into arguments with those people won't do anybody any good..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Political Discourse
CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › Trumpocalypse Now