CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › Trumpocalypse Now
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trumpocalypse Now - Page 5

post #201 of 40928
Christ alone must know what Putin is genuinely thinking about all of this right now.

He's probably been drunk as a lord for the last 72 hours.
post #202 of 40928

Breaking that list of countries down...

 

Israel - this is the real special relationship the US has.

Egypt - See above.

Turkey - "I still want airspace access, thanks."

Japan, South Korea - If he is going to enter a pissing contest with China, he needs these guys on side.

Mexico - "Get building that wall hombre!"

Australia - Probably about the TPP, which he is openly hostile against.

India - huge trading power

Ireland - Every US tech company is based here, and they are holding onto a stack load of cash that they may be about to offload thanks to EU rulings against them.

 

We're small fry (and a known dependable ally), and it's kind of hard for the tabloid press to stomach that.


Edited by flint - 11/11/16 at 3:21am
post #203 of 40928

Day 3 begins here on the east coast. What wonders shall we see today?

post #204 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
 

 

Well, key provisions of the Voting Rights Act were gutted in several states between 2012 and this year...

Digging into the numbers, it seems as tough voter suppression may have had a slight impact in Wisconsin.  In NC, on the other hand, people just simply didnt bother to show.

 

Looking at exit polling, most folks who went Trump were single issue voters on the subject of immigration or terrorism.  People who's main concern was the economy or foreign policy overwhelmingly voted for Clinton.  Honestly given the very slim margin of victory I'd wager that if Clinton hadn't supported increasing the flow of Syrian refugees she'd have won.  Given the fact that the average Trump voter's income is north of $70k, I doubt they were worried as much about Mexican immigrants coming in and taking their jobs picking strawberries.

post #205 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

Christ alone must know what Putin is genuinely thinking about all of this right now.

He's probably been drunk as a lord for the last 72 hours.

The President-elect of the United States of fucking America is whining about protesters on Twitter. One day in and the Donald has already shown what an out of depth, easy to manipulate simpleton he is.

Right now, Putin is chomping at the fucking bit. He's making his wishlist. Five minutes alone in a room with Donald is all he needs. Five.
post #206 of 40928
If there's a silver lining to Trump being elected...it's that it prompted you to drop back in Art. Great to hear from you! Hope you'll stick around..
post #207 of 40928
Honestly, I'm more or less expecting W again. The specific fuck ups will be different, but it'll be a familiar tune. This bullshit about Un-American protesters (and flag burning, for fuck's sake!) was de rigeour 2002-2008.

And I'm sorry to say, but I think we need to take a page from the Right under Obama. I have no interest in unity or "coming together", because I think he's an evil man, who's plotting to make things worse for the weakest among us, apparently for no greater reason than to satisfy his own ego. So yeah, I get what they had to gain through bitter obstruction, now. I'm hoping he fails at everything. He's going to inherit a cushion of economic growth from Obama, which I'm sure they'll try to take credit for, but the rottenness will out, probably well before 2020.
post #208 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

Christ alone must know what Putin is genuinely thinking about all of this right now.

He's probably been drunk as a lord for the last 72 hours.



Trump owes Russia Region Development Bank a billion dollars. This is the result Putin wanted, and his involvement was probably not limited to random leaks.

 

Would be great if we could see the tax returns before December.

post #209 of 40928
Yeah, that's not gonna happen..
post #210 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
 

I just had a thought that maybe the Republican congress will just turn around and impeach him on day one. They just need him to get sworn in so that Pence can move up, instead of invalidating his candidacy before the Electoral College votes are in, which would give Clinton the presidency.

 

Not that Pence is an improvement. Trump is a dangerous sociopath, but Pence is actually evil. And I don't mean that hyperbolically. Gay conversion 'therapy' kills, and he clearly thinks that women are brood mares whose only purpose is to bear children, and that they need to be punished for failing to do so.

 

I loathe Pence's positions, but he pursues them rationally.  Trump in charge of the military and DOJ just chills me every time I think about it.

 

Horrible as both options are, I'd take Littlefinger in charge over Joffrey.  Better an evil fuck than an evil fuckwit.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Closer View Post
 

Digging into the numbers, it seems as tough voter suppression may have had a slight impact in Wisconsin.  In NC, on the other hand, people just simply didnt bother to show.

 

Looking at exit polling, most folks who went Trump were single issue voters on the subject of immigration or terrorism.  People who's main concern was the economy or foreign policy overwhelmingly voted for Clinton.  Honestly given the very slim margin of victory I'd wager that if Clinton hadn't supported increasing the flow of Syrian refugees she'd have won.  Given the fact that the average Trump voter's income is north of $70k, I doubt they were worried as much about Mexican immigrants coming in and taking their jobs picking strawberries.

 

But remember, we're not allowed say that racism was a factor.   These poor, disadvantaged white folks with 401k's and 2 cars in their garage just had their feelings hurt because liberals went all Mean Girls on them.

post #211 of 40928

All I know is that I've got pigpoopballs.jpeg ready for the POTUS twitter account on inauguration day.

 

Ugliness starting creep into my small FB feed. Seeing people I'm tangentially connected to telling my loved ones to go back to their safe space. Hope these ghouls keep that in mind when food prices rise astronomically thanks to climate change, and when it sinks in that they'll never retire or be able to afford health care for the rest of their lives.

post #212 of 40928

I'd like to touch a bit on the religious angle of this election ...

 

As a Catholic, I'm horribly disappointed in how many of us ended up voting for Trump 52 vs 45 (much better than the Evangelical vote though - 81 vs 16), even when Pope Francis took a few indirect digs at then candidate Trump. I think a lot of it had to do with the Supreme Court and abortion, but even in that sense, I was hoping people would see how much he was lying to the pro-life side ...

 

However, immigration is a very big issue in our Church, and I'm encouraged some of our leaders might step up, much like Archbishop Romero did in El Salvador, or how the Church stood up for us under the dictatorship of Manuel Noriega when I lived in Panama. I posted about this in facebook ...

 

Quote:
Powerful message from Archbishop Gomez.

"Tonight we promise our brothers and sisters who are undocumented — we will never leave you alone. !En las buenas y en las malas! In good times and in bad, we are with you. You are family. We are brothers and sisters."
 
As an immigrant to this great nation, I want to echo Archbishop Gomez' comments; "Estamos con ustedes, en las buenas y en las malas!". To the undocumented immigrants afraid of deportation, to the families in tears fearing to be broken apart, to the migrant farm-workers, to our young DREAMers, to you who join us during Mass ... you're not alone, you're not forgotten, we love you, and we stand with you.
 
Jesus, spoke of you, and we see Jesus in you.
http://www.usccb.org/bible/matthew/25
 
"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’" (Matt. 25:35-36)
post #213 of 40928

I can't believe the Halloween mask sales were the best indicator of where this was going.

 

My wife's family are all latino Catholic conservatives. I've had the pleasure of sitting in on the talk radio that segment apparently listens to. It is absolutely horrifying. 

post #214 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
 

I can't believe the Halloween mask sales were the best indicator of where this was going.

 

My wife's family are all latino Catholic conservatives. I've had the pleasure of sitting in on the talk radio that segment apparently listens to. It is absolutely horrifying. 

 

If you don't mind me asking, what nationality are they from?

post #215 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitanAmerica View Post
 

 

If you don't mind me asking, what nationality are they from?

 

Texas.

post #216 of 40928

I've avoided most news media over the last few days so I may not be the first one to make this assertion.

 

When it comes to the upcoming Republican socio-political tornado that will be unleashed upon this country...it's all on the GOP.  The GOP wants to gut much of what makes this country worth living in- all the programs they want to gut or privatize or altogether eliminate....IT'S ALL ON THEM.

 

They will attempt to put blame on Obama and the Dems if their nihilistic policies don't go the way they want...but fuck them. They are the only ones to blame when shit gets worse. 

 

I have no doubt that we'll see corruption on an unheard of scale with a Trump presidency if they are allowed to run free with the keys to government.

 

Now, despite all my pessimism, I do know that  we must not just give in to the GOP's 'bathtub politics'....we need to hold all these elected sociopaths feet to the fire and point out to the public at large that they DO NOT have the country's best interests at heart.

 

To end on a somewhat optimistic note....a Trump administration stands the possibility of being a modern day Hoover and we ended up getting the New Deal after he was gone. I can only hope we don't have to suffer though a modern era Depression....although that may be likely with the orange shitstain and his legion of alt-right Doom trying to fatten their wallets.

post #217 of 40928
When crazy becomes bad for business or threatens his ego, Trump will drawn the line.

That's my hope anyway.
post #218 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Decade View Post

When crazy becomes bad for business or threatens his ego, Trump will drawn the line.

That's my hope anyway.

 

Shit, 'crazy' IS his business.

post #219 of 40928

Three days into his President-elect status and there's already several volumes worth of future alternate-history and What If scenarios being written on message boards across the internet.

 

Trump has ushered in an era of creativity. Be grateful!

post #220 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeJota View Post
 

Three days into his President-elect status and there's already several volumes worth of future alternate-history and What If scenarios being written on message boards across the internet.

 

Trump has ushered in an era of creativity. Be grateful!

 

All one has to do is to look to Brownback and Kansas to see what a Trump admin. wants to/will do to the whole of the country.  It's science.    : ) 

post #221 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeJota View Post
 

Three days into his President-elect status and there's already several volumes worth of future alternate-history and What If scenarios being written on message boards across the internet.

 

Trump has ushered in an era of creativity. Be grateful!

 

Also, if nothing else, Laura Benanti's got a solid ongoing gig lined up for years, now.

post #222 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

I know @Andy Bain will be overjoyed at this news. Just when you think it couldn't get worse. The bug-eyed racist slug is back:


Nigel Farage to be Donald Trump's go-between amid claims Special Relationship with US is faltering

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/10/nigel-farage-to-be-donald-trumps-go-between-amid-claims-special/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_androidshare_Am3sTdbnR488

Unctuous toadying troutfaced twat.
post #223 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
 

 

 

 

 

But remember, we're not allowed say that racism was a factor.   These poor, disadvantaged white folks with 401k's and 2 cars in their garage just had their feelings hurt because liberals went all Mean Girls on them.

You realize both can be true, yes?

post #224 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post

4. New Zealand is where we're headed if my son's safety is in question.

You know we have a space program now right AO? Unfortunately it's only tiny unmanned CubeSats at this point, so no call for a doc yet, but surely a astrochampion like you can be accommodated somehow.

post #225 of 40928
post #226 of 40928
Interesting sidenote experience: I just overheard my neighbor & landlord chatting about the election.

Two older white guys in their 50s/60s complaining that the protesters were anarchists & crybabies upset that they weren't gonna get "free college".

"Did the Republicans riot when Obama won? NO!", one asked.

Trump didn't win a game show. This is a guy who brazenly talked about the possibility of using nuclear-fucking-weapons. That, among a long list of nightmare policies.

How are these guys not concerned about the real world implications? Where's the disconnect?
post #227 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post
 

I got a .22 rifle for Christmas when I was 13. I'm a good shot. Never hunted an animal in my life, but I like guns and shooting paper plate targets and expired light bulbs.

 

I may buy a shotgun now.


Out of curiosity, why?   Can't carry one in your pocket, after all. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
 

 

Shotguns are overrated.  People love to recommend shotguns.  There's a reason why military and police don't use them. 

 

I'm not a big fan of AR/5.56 platforms, either.  Get yourself a Saiga 7.62x39.  Looks like a hunting rifle, but basically an AK-47's guts.  

 

Rifles aren't great for personal protection.  Why get fancy?  The M1911 is tried and true. 

post #228 of 40928

post #229 of 40928

You know you're in trouble when it's the Germans who are saying the guy you picked for leader could end the world. 

post #230 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post

Unctuous toadying troutfaced twat.

Seconded.
post #231 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post

Trump owes Russia Region Development Bank a billion dollars.

I know Trump has ties with the Ruskies, but this is hyperbole, right?
post #232 of 40928
It's garbage. He's shady, but that's ridiculous.
post #233 of 40928
....and Trump 's first u-turn. No Obamacare repeal. Not all of it, anyway.
post #234 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

You know you're in trouble when it's the Germans who are saying the guy you picked for leader could end the world. 


And it's coming from Merkel, whose incompetence in the face of the Syrian crisis has made her own political influence very shaky, to say the least.

post #235 of 40928
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

I hope this murder wasn't inspired by Trump:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/11/01/saudi-student-assaulted-wisconsin-dies-his-injuries/93101338/

 

Let's not get crazy here. We know most murders in the US are the result of RPG video games. 

post #236 of 40928
I'm actually good with another pass at Health Care reform but my daughter is a cancer survivor and repealing the pre-existing conditions ban would screw her for life. Still, you have to wonder what his supporters are thinking right now.
post #237 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamotv View Post

I'm actually good with another pass at Health Care reform but my daughter is a cancer survivor and repealing the pre-existing conditions ban would screw her for life. Still, you have to wonder what his supporters are thinking right now.

 

Most likely blaming Obama for screwing with their hero's head.

post #238 of 40928
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Decade View Post

Interesting sidenote experience: I just overheard my neighbor & landlord chatting about the election.

Two older white guys in their 50s/60s complaining that the protesters were anarchists & crybabies upset that they weren't gonna get "free college".

"Did the Republicans riot when Obama won? NO!", one asked.

Trump didn't win a game show. This is a guy who brazenly talked about the possibility of using nuclear-fucking-weapons. That, among a long list of nightmare policies.

How are these guys not concerned about the real world implications? Where's the disconnect?

 

It's not a disconnect, they simply feel that Trump won, the protesters are whiny asshats, in some cases they're rioting and destroying people's homes and businesses, and generally playing into the Alt Right's worst stereotyping. 


The hypocrisy comes in when you remember that the GOP openly said they were going to block anything and everything Obama proposed from Day One of his Presidency. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

....and Trump 's first u-turn. No Obamacare repeal. Not all of it, anyway.

 

He said "Repeal and REPLACE". Not just "repeal". And he's going to replace it with something wonderful. You'll love it. 

post #239 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamotv View Post

I'm actually good with another pass at Health Care reform but my daughter is a cancer survivor and repealing the pre-existing conditions ban would screw her for life. Still, you have to wonder what his supporters are thinking right now.

I feel you. My son will need a pair of heart valve replacements every ten to fifteen years for the rest of his life and I'm terrified.
post #240 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turingmachine75 View Post


I feel you. My son will need a pair of heart valve replacements every ten to fifteen years for the rest of his life and I'm terrified.

 

Affordable Care Act has saved so many lives, but thanks to GOP propaganda, Obamacare is demonized for its high premium (which is unfounded), and it will be one of the programs that Trump and the new Congress destroy in the first 100 days. Unfortunately, innocent people like your son will be hurt by this process. However, for the Democrats who chose to stay home or vote for anybody other than Hillary, I feel no sympathy for them and their plight after the election; they should have seen it coming.  

post #241 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
 



Trump owes Russia Region Development Bank a billion dollars. This is the result Putin wanted, and his involvement was probably not limited to random leaks.

 

Would be great if we could see the tax returns before December.

 

This will be the end of NATO as we know it, because under Trump the U.S. will be siding with Putin against their Eastern European neighbors. 

post #242 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post


I know Trump has ties with the Ruskies, but this is hyperbole, right?

 
Well, I'd love to be able to tell you the exact amount. I'm sure that information could be deduced if we had the man's tax returns available. 

 

A couple points, since Blue thinks this claim is garbage:

 

American banks don't deal with Trump since his last bankruptcy. He is a credit risk.

 

How does a billionaire live like a billionaire when he doesn't have any money tho? Oh, right, banks.

 

Russian Development Bank is a government-controlled subsidiary of the Roseneft Oil Company. Putin is known to use both the bank and the oil company for political purposes.

 

Putin is the richest man on the planet, by some estimates.

 

Harry Reid, who has a habit of both being a bullshitter and knowing some shit, hinted that there is compelling evidence that Trump is banked through the Russians.

 

Donald Trump, for totally unknowable reasons, has insisted he has never met Putin, or banked with the Russians, and both of those claims are bullshit.

 


 

I don't know, maybe he's only in the hoc for a couple hundred million. I mean, he managed to blow through a billion dollars back in 1994. I would think the asking price was pretty high. Art of the deal.

post #243 of 40928

   While on a simply drive from point A to B today I saw two four door SUVs with flying Trump flags. If you can afford those trucks and the gas, you clearly weren't suffering under Obama. The second one had an American flag over the Trump one. A Russian flag would have been a more accurate.

 

  A year or two from now Kate Mckinnon will do a I bet wish you voted for me now and it be a classic.

post #244 of 40928

I was talking with a friend today about all this, and he's holding out hope that Trump in office will back away from his more extreme campaign rhetoric and promises, based on Trump's own ego and narcissism. He wants to keep getting the positive reinforcement he was getting from his supporters during the campaign, but going too far and angering too many people will jeopardize that for him. His desire to be liked may keep him from doing things that might provoke a backlash or tarnish his image. He doesn't have an ideology so much as he has a brand, and protecting that brand may outweigh pursuing an all-out far-right agenda.

 

Maybe? I don't know, but I'd like to think there's some little sliver of silver lining somewhere.

post #245 of 40928

Considering who he's surrounding himself with I wouldn't hold your breath on any of that.

post #246 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post
 

Considering who he's surrounding himself with I wouldn't hold your breath on any of that.

 

Yeah, my counterpoint to my friend was questioning how in-control of things Trump actually would be, or would even want to be. I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised where a Trump Administration actually ends up going, but yeah, I'm certainly not holding my breath either.

post #247 of 40928

Also let me clarify that's a fairly popular conspiracy theory going around Russia at the moment, I heard it first directly from an older expatriate couple (very ardent Putin supporters, btw). I've seen variations of it a couple other places.

 

And yes, Russians absolutely are the most conspiracy minded people on the planet. For good reason, I would think.

post #248 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Closer View Post
 

You realize both can be true, yes?

 

Certainly.  That's why it's a "factor".

post #249 of 40928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiosity Cosby View Post

I was talking with a friend today about all this, and he's holding out hope that Trump in office will back away from his more extreme campaign rhetoric and promises, based on Trump's own ego and narcissism. He wants to keep getting the positive reinforcement he was getting from his supporters during the campaign, but going too far and angering too many people will jeopardize that for him. His desire to be liked may keep him from doing things that might provoke a backlash or tarnish his image. He doesn't have an ideology so much as he has a brand, and protecting that brand may outweigh pursuing an all-out far-right agenda.

Maybe? I don't know, but I'd like to think there's some little sliver of silver lining somewhere.

This is my reading as well & with today's softening on Obamacare there's evidence to support that.

Trump is a media star. He wants the applause. He can't handle the jeers. The irony here is that he's now a public servant & there's no where to go.

He's ostensibly a child & you bet that Obama schooled him on what consequences on a national scale look like.

Trump is neither a politician or a Constitutional lawyer. His hand will be held every single second & his deciding factor (aside from profit) will be that which offends his ego the least.

Based on Trump's comments about Obama after their meeting, the silver lining I now see is that he probably discovered yesterday that the nutjobs around him cannot & will never hold a candle to the genuine character of someone like Obama. To the anger of extremists, Trump may have genuine potential for personal growth. One fucking hopes.
post #250 of 40928

Michael Moore on Chris Hayes right now basically saying that Trump is going to have to make the white working-class's life absolutely fucking miserable before they'll finally wake up to the electoral bomb they just detonated.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Political Discourse
CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › Trumpocalypse Now