CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › Trumpocalypse Now
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trumpocalypse Now - Page 484

post #24151 of 25326

Great interview at Slate with Joshua Yaffa.  He's a Russia expert and has been writing excellent longer-form articles for the New Yorker on the current environment in Russia under Putin and the Trump/Russia connection.  He's a really smart guy, plus a classmate and an acquaintance.

 

Quote:
 

So is your theory of this larger scandal that the Russian government was trying certain things to screw with the election and thought they would cause low level chaos and hopefully help Trump, and just lucked out beyond their wildest dreams?

 

Essentially, yes. I don’t think that Putin in his wildest dreams thought that the American people would actually inflict this upon themselves, which is ultimately what happened. These are American voters who put Trump in office, not Russian ones.

 

I also think that Putin and his cohort have a very genuine cynicism, and I think that’s important to understand. Their cynical read on how the world works is not just for show. I think they, deep down, are convinced that cynical self-interest is what drives the world. There is no such thing as genuine, earnest belief and motivation, and so that leads to all sorts of analytical conclusions, and one of them was that somehow, the American system, the American establishment, would never “allow” Trump to win. The media, the existing political parties, the lobbying machine in Washington, all of these forces that in a country, say, like Russia, really would keep a renegade candidate from becoming president would somehow constrain Trump. I think those assumptions drove his tactical decision-making throughout the campaign.

 

Fascinating stuff as we wait for the other shoe to drop, per the heads up by Judas.

post #24152 of 25326

My opinion before the election, and still to this day, is Trump is nobody's master stroke.  He's too much of a fucking clown.  This was Russia trying shit and hitting all sevens.  Which is why there has been so much stumbling and bumbling since Trump actually won.

post #24153 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

This week and next week will see the publishing of some of the bombshell stories that some papers have been sitting on.
This shit from the past week is the appetizer. Get ready for the main course.
At the end of the month, Mueller will strike. That timetable will move up if T forces the issue. August will be the endgame, regardless.

These are my predictions.

 

There's a total solar eclipse on Monday, August 21, and I have plans to be in its direct path of totality.

 

Please tell me Mueller is planning to synchronize with this.

post #24154 of 25326

How much can we really trust Judas? I mean, it's right there in the name...

post #24155 of 25326

Nothing suspicious at all about the State Department shuttering the War Crimes Investigation department:

 

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/07/17/tillerson-to-shutter-state-department-war-crimes-office/

post #24156 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

I can't hate these fucks more than I already do without it manifesting itself externally somehow..

If hatred worked the way belief or kid's wishes worked in movies...these fuckers would drop dead.*

Also, be careful about that hatred come manifest; next thing you know, you'll somehow find out that you have a new MAGA family member, past friend or coworker you have no idea existed before.

Hell, how can we be sure this is exactly what hapens in real life? we hate these fucks so much, our hatred manifest in new followers 

 

*I do not endorse nor support the killing of any political or public figure by use of hatred, belief or a kid's wish.

post #24157 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

Nothing suspicious at all about the State Department shuttering the War Crimes Investigation department:

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/07/17/tillerson-to-shutter-state-department-war-crimes-office/
Well, hey, we need to give Bannon's send-in-Blackwater plan room to work!
post #24158 of 25326
www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/06/donald-trump-enablers This is a fantastic piece; I hope the final paragraph, at least, finds its way to the subjects' desks.
post #24159 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBanner View Post

www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/06/donald-trump-enablers This is a fantastic piece; I hope the final paragraph, at least, finds its way to the subjects' desks.

Yeah, that's the one.

Ryan openly admitting he's dreamed of cutting Medicaid since his keg days is all confirmation I need to believe he is a fucking sociopath.

post #24160 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
 

How much can we really trust Judas? I mean, it's right there in the name...

 

Ya got me!

post #24161 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBanner View Post

www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/06/donald-trump-enablers This is a fantastic piece; I hope the final paragraph, at least, finds its way to the subjects' desks.

 

This deserves repeating:

 

VII. THE VERDICT

The Trump administration may last for months or it may last for years. There will be crises and catastrophes. A corrosion of values and spirit has already set in. The outside world pulls away. John Boehner, the Republican former Speaker of the House, now retired and fortified with tobacco and Merlot, has called Trump “a disaster.” Donald Trump will suffer his own grim fate in the eyes of historians, but it will come with an asterisk: he is a profoundly damaged human being with no true understanding of his capacities, his emotions, his ignorance, his job, or the fundamentals of human decency.

His enablers will get no asterisk. They will be treated with the special contempt reserved for those who acted knowingly and cravenly, with eyes wide open.

 

post #24162 of 25326

Huh.  Apparently Kislyak is at the state department having a meeting.

 

https://twitter.com/joshledermanap/status/887033755113844738

 

Huh.

post #24163 of 25326

Edit: I'm going to tone down my rhetoric slightly.

 

It's a good piece and it has a lot to say. But I honestly don't understand what constantly underlining this pessimism solves, or helps, or does anything. This is, in a lot of ways, the "lol nothing matters" of political analysis, it's pitch black nihilism, and this need to indulge in it is exhausting

 

Do you guys remember Karl Rove's "permanent Republican majority?" Remember when John Edwards was the future of the Democratic party? 

 

The history of this country is built on people looking at those saying "lol nothing matters" and, in turn, going "lol nope." 

 

Quote:
 “Cause-and-effect assumes history marches forward, but history is not an army. It is a crab scuttling sideways, a drip of soft water wearing away stone, an earthquake breaking centuries of tension. Sometimes one person inspires a movement, or her words do decades later, sometimes a few passionate people change the world; sometimes they start a mass movement and millions do; sometimes those millions are stirred by the same outrage or the same ideal, and change comes upon us like a change of weather. All that these transformations have in common is that they begin in the imagination, in hope.” 
-Rebecca Solnit
post #24164 of 25326

You're right, I shouldn't be so callused and reductivist.

 

If there's any point I'm trying to make, it is that political events today are unprecedented, and I'm not sure the existing mechanisms are even capable of addressing the wrongs. 

post #24165 of 25326

How I view all Russian liaisons to this administration:

 

post #24166 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

If there's any point I'm trying to make, it is that political events today are unprecedented, and I'm not sure the existing mechanisms are even capable of addressing the wrongs. 

 

I agree with the former and I fear the latter. But unprecdented and unexpected responses often come from unprecedented and unexpected times. That's what I need to get through the day.

post #24167 of 25326

idk, it seems like we're about to roll into the 2018 election using a completely compromised system with no appreciable response to new revelations of just how deeply the Russians penetrated.

 

The director of the census bureau resigning in disgust also paints a similarly ominous picture which makes me suspect this will still get worse before it gets better.

post #24168 of 25326

You're a relatively young person, aren't you Boone? (I'm not trying to imply anything by this, just curious)

post #24169 of 25326

I'm thirty three. I sent you that Bush's last day clock, Jacob. :D

 

Part of it is also the fact that I have a lot of younger friends from college - people in their teens and early twenties - and so I need to keep up this spirit of hope and open-mindedness, so that they, in turn, don't get discouraged. I think one of the big failings of the older Millennials - the one who remember the Bush years intimately - is that we didn't do enough, and we got discouraged too easily, too disappointed in our heroes and our chances. 

post #24170 of 25326
Things seemed hopeless as shit during the Bush years. But I was drunk for most of it.
post #24171 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post

idk, it seems like we're about to roll into the 2018 election using a completely compromised system with no appreciable response to new revelations of just how deeply the Russians penetrated.

The director of the census bureau resigning in disgust also paints a similarly ominous picture which makes me suspect this will still get worse before it gets better.
Not that these aren't totally valid causes for concern, but: we're still almost year out from the start of the 2018 campaign season, and almost sixteen months from the actual vote. And at the rate the Trump administration is imploding, I'd be shocked if they make it to the end of the year. The fat lady ain't sung just yet.

(Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but: administering elections is the province of the actual states, right? Is there anything stopping them from just going back to paper or paper-backed electronic voting?)
post #24172 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post


(Is there anything stopping them from just going back to paper or paper-backed electronic voting?)

 

Republicans.

 

And the hackable voting machines that ALLEGEDLY(!) give them an advantage.

post #24173 of 25326

I also keep trying to look away, but can't help myself.  It's maddening.

post #24174 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoken View Post
 

Yeah, that's the one.

Ryan openly admitting he's dreamed of cutting Medicaid since his keg days is all confirmation I need to believe he is a fucking sociopath.

 

It is such a weird passion to have. Who the hell makes cutting Medicaid their life's goal?

post #24175 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post
 

 

It is such a weird passion to have. Who the hell makes cutting Medicaid their life's goal?


Fucking asshole sociopaths.

post #24176 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoken View Post
 

Hell, how can we be sure this is exactly what hapens in real life? we hate these fucks so much, our hatred manifest in new followers 

 

 

It could be worse. I was afraid I might birth a smoke monster that looked like Obama. As a guy, I have to imagine that would be like passing 150 kidney stones in a row.

 

Also, I have to suspect that at this point the Secret Service are under orders to tell people who meet El Presidente to stop putting their fingers to their temples and making the Scanners sound.

post #24177 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

(Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but: administering elections is the province of the actual states, right? Is there anything stopping them from just going back to paper or paper-backed electronic voting?)

The same thing that prevented them from doing so over a decade ago, when word first got out about hackable they are: lobbying from the company that makes the voting machines. Our biggest problem, bigger than a fleeting kidney stone like Trump, is that corruption like this is tolerated.
post #24178 of 25326
True enough.
post #24179 of 25326

I saw this picture and just noticed something:

 

 

Putin is SUPER short. Drumpf is quite tall. Yet everyone in this photo looks to be about the same height (except second from the left guy, who looks like Lurch in comparison).

 

So...

 

Putin is using a booster seat.

 

and

 

Drumpf is soooo fat he's pancaking his cushion.

 

No political observations. I just couldn't help noting that the two most dangerous people on Earth are FUCKING RIDICULOUS.

post #24180 of 25326
That pic of Obama staring down Putin really shows what a fucking imp ol' pooty-poot is.
post #24181 of 25326
Lee and Moran just announced they won't support the current Senate healthcare bill, which means it's dead in its current form. McConnell will get his Frankenstein act on, of course.
post #24182 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post

Lee and Moran just announced they won't support the current Senate healthcare bill, which means it's dead in its current form. McConnell will get his Frankenstein act on, of course.

Don't get me wrong, that's great. But at be same time, Jesus Christ these fucking mooks.
post #24183 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post


Don't get me wrong, that's great. But at be same time, Jesus Christ these fucking mooks.

 

Yeah, great, so only 48 of 52 Republican Senators are among the worst human beings on the planet? And of the other 4, 2 were right on the edge, and 1 is too evil to vote yes?

 

That's not reassuring.

 

Also, one more thing about the picture I posted above (click it to zoom in)... which country elected General Zod?!?

 

Oh, two more things... how sad is it that even General Zod has a look on his face that screams, "What is wrong with these fuckin' guys?!?"

post #24184 of 25326
I was just marveling at their inability to actually get anything done when their only impediment is themselves. I don't want them to get this stuff done, but...isn't winning the seats supposed to the actually hard part?
post #24185 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

I was just marveling at their inability to actually get anything done when their only impediment is themselves. I don't want them to get this stuff done, but...isn't winning the seats supposed to the actually hard part?

 

I dunno. The brief time that the Dems held the majority weren't exactly filled with legislative victory after victory. Plus they continued some of the worse privacy violations of the Bush era.

post #24186 of 25326

Surprise. McConnell's going to allow the Senate to vote on a full repeal of the ACA this week, so long as there is also a vote for debate on the replacement bill. Without a concurrent replacement, there will be certain chaos throughout the markets. Republicans are going to own this shit if they think they can move forward with such a reckless idea.

 

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/342456-mcconnell-senate-will-try-to-repeal-obamacare-with-delayed-replacement

post #24187 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Senior View Post

Surprise. McConnell's going to allow the Senate to vote on a full repeal of the ACA this week, so long as there is also a vote for debate on the replacement bill. Without a concurrent replacement, there will be certain chaos throughout the markets. Republicans are going to own this shit if they think they can move forward with such a reckless idea.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/342456-mcconnell-senate-will-try-to-repeal-obamacare-with-delayed-replacement

If they can't get the votes for something that only fucks 70% of Americans, how do they think they'll have the votes for something that fucks 100% of Americans?
post #24188 of 25326

He's going to put the no-votes on record as being AGAINST Obamacare repeal, as punishment for their insolence.

post #24189 of 25326
Ai yi yi, this fucking guy.
post #24190 of 25326

Trump promised he would repeal the ACA. He also promised lower premiums and protections for pre-existing conditions. If the same people who bought those promises cheer a repeal without a concurrent replacement, which would cause insurers to scale back their offerings on the markets and hurt a significant number of people, they're truly lost.

post #24191 of 25326

The 2020 elections are going to be so stressful. There's so many people to pray go down in flames that I'm gonna feel like Arya Stark!

post #24192 of 25326

This stunt with full repeal is beyond disgusting. Absolutely monstrous and totally par for the course for a man who'd happily see American citizens die so he can get a win over Obama.

post #24193 of 25326
So what are the chances of it passing? And if it doesn't, will McConnell have any more political capital left to burn?
post #24194 of 25326
I dunno. Does McConnell have any political capital now, or does he just have a job that no one else wants?
post #24195 of 25326

Just to be clear, the "G" in GOP now stands for 'ghoul', right?

post #24196 of 25326
Goat
Orifice
Penetrator
post #24197 of 25326

Hey, they brought another trucky for Donny to play in....

 

post #24198 of 25326
This again?!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!
post #24199 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

I dunno. Does McConnell have any political capital now, or does he just have a job that no one else wants?
I can't fucking figure out McConnell's secret. I mean, he can't have photos of everybody screwing livestock, and if he did he wouldn't have to put this much effort into wrangling them. Only thing I can figure is he's offering sexual favors under the table, but I guess everybody's getting bored of it by now.
post #24200 of 25326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post
 

This stunt with full repeal is beyond disgusting. Absolutely monstrous and totally par for the course for a man who'd happily see American citizens die so he can get a win over Obama.

 

Remember....

Quote:

Christopher Hayes    Verified account @chrislhayes    4h4 hours ago

 

Incredible news tonight. But Remember what happened with the AHCA: Trumpcare isn't dead as long as GOP controls both houses.

 

 

The ghoul/zombie = GOP comparison is all too valid as long as the ACA exists...the GOP  will keep attacking it like the undead fucks they are.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Political Discourse
CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › Trumpocalypse Now