CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › Trumpocalypse Now
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trumpocalypse Now - Page 658

post #32851 of 40281

Side note: my lawyer cousin went on a thing tonight about the legality of kneeling during the National Anthem and First Amendment rights: the government protects public exhibition, but a stadium is considered private and therefore not subject to the same privileges.

 

My whole opinion on this NFL/NBA controversy is that it drives me nuts. I'm no sports fanatic, but it's a safe topic that's now become political and easy to start a heated debate over, and that's fucking stupid.

post #32852 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post

Side note: my lawyer cousin went on a thing tonight about the legality of kneeling during the National Anthem and First Amendment rights: the government protects public exhibition, but a stadium is considered private and therefore not subject to the same privileges.

My whole opinion on this NFL/NBA controversy is that it drives me nuts. I'm no sports fanatic, but it's a safe topic that's now become political and easy to start a heated debate over, and that's fucking stupid.

My $0.02:

If people cared 1/100000000th as much about civil rights and politics as they do about their fucking sports teams, this country would be unrecognizable.

I'm OK with the occasional social injustice making the masses uncomfortable during their favored passtime.
post #32853 of 40281

Triple points if they're Cowboys or Patriots fans.

 

Maybe 10x for the latter because Tom Brady.

post #32854 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post
 

Side note: my lawyer cousin went on a thing tonight about the legality of kneeling during the National Anthem and First Amendment rights: the government protects public exhibition, but a stadium is considered private and therefore not subject to the same privileges.

 

My whole opinion on this NFL/NBA controversy is that it drives me nuts. I'm no sports fanatic, but it's a safe topic that's now become political and easy to start a heated debate over, and that's fucking stupid.

 

Meanwhile, those people couldn't care less about police brutality or the social injustice that blacks are experiencing every day. But kneeling during anthem? That's criminal enough to burn jerseys and boycott a popular sport. 

 

Btw, the same people have no problem with White Supremacists waving Confederate and Nazi flags. 

post #32855 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post

 

My whole opinion on this NFL/NBA controversy is that it drives me nuts. I'm no sports fanatic, but it's a safe topic that's now become political and easy to start a heated debate over, and that's fucking stupid.

 

That's the whole point.

post #32856 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post


My $0.02:

If people cared 1/100000000th as much about civil rights and politics as they do about their fucking sports teams, this country would be unrecognizable.

I'm OK with the occasional social injustice making the masses uncomfortable during their favored passtime.

I guess but his point was to make people address police brutality but im really not seeing any kind conversation about police brutality. I mean there is a conversation but it's is he a dick or not? Should he be allowed or not? But I haven't really seen that spill over into any meaningful conversation about the topic. Personally I don't care if he lays on his back and sleeps through it. I never quite understood why we do the whole national anthem thing before games anyway. 

post #32857 of 40281
Thread Starter 

Yeah I've maybe watched 2 Super bowl games in the entirety in my life, but I do have some sympathy for fans who just want an escape from the 24/7 cacophony of news plus their dreary daily existences. 

 

And it's not like those people are gonna see players take a knew and go "ya know, imma gonna go protest march for Civil Rights!". No, their going to pop another Coor's Light and eat some more nachos/chicken wings/pizza rolls/Polish Sausage.

post #32858 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post
 

Yeah I've maybe watched 2 Super bowl games in the entirety in my life, but I do have some sympathy for fans who just want an escape from the 24/7 cacophony of news plus their dreary daily existences. 

 

And it's not like those people are gonna see players take a knew and go "ya know, imma gonna go protest march for Civil Rights!". No, their going to pop another Coor's Light and eat some more nachos/chicken wings/pizza rolls/Polish Sausage.

 

Football games reach millions of people. The controversy reaches even more.

 

Sure, most of those people will either ignore it or have an initially negative reaction. But some will not. And the point of protest isn't to end a discussion but to start and continue one. These protests and Drumpf's inadvertent help shining a light on them are having an impact.

 

A member of Congress took a knee the other day.

 

Making a few football fans uncomfortable is a -good- thing.

post #32859 of 40281
I'd have more respect for these guys if their complaint was "they don't want politics in mah sports games." I'd disagree with them, but at least its honest. Instead of this bullshit claim to patriotism.
post #32860 of 40281

The best part is watching dumbfucks burn stuff they paid for. Privilege-tacular.

post #32861 of 40281

If you don't like Jim Jeffries, don't watch, but I love him. This a nice little bit and has a perfect stinger at the end:

 

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/s5nz2g/trump-wages-war-against-protesting-athletes

 

Here's the embed, but I don't think it's working:

 

post #32862 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post

I guess but his point was to make people address police brutality but im really not seeing any kind conversation about police brutality. I mean there is a conversation but it's is he a dick or not? Should he be allowed or not? But I haven't really seen that spill over into any meaningful conversation about the topic. Personally I don't care if he lays on his back and sleeps through it. I never quite understood why we do the whole national anthem thing before games anyway. 

The conversation being about respect for the flag/anthem/troops instead of black men being gunned down by our civil protectors is because white people would rather have one of those conversations than the other. That's all.
post #32863 of 40281
And remember kids, free speech only counts when its towards white culture. Anything else is strictly un-American.
post #32864 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post



The conversation being about respect for the flag/anthem/troops instead of black men being gunned down by our civil protectors is because white people would rather have one of those conversations than the other. That's all.

 



In Ta-Nehisi Coates "Between The World And Me," Coates discusses the idea of "The Dream," which is short-hand for The American Dream: that a good life is the white-picket fence, house, wife and kids. That if you work hard enough you'll get everything you ever wanted, and that America is a country that stands alone in "Truth and Justice for all." Nicities that all but turn a blind eye to the many, many instances in American history where that wasn't case. The broken bodies of the weak and poor are evidence to that.

Acknowledging that there is a problem with police brutality and that there's an issue with cops using excessive force against Black Americans, means acknowledging that there is no Dream, or at the very least The Dream is severely compromised.

So there are plenty of Americans who are more willing to believe that Trayvon Martin, while he was out buying snacks and soda, was intent on killing a "Patriot," than believing that said Patriot targeted someone because of his own racism and caused a death that did not need to happen. Because it maintains that simple narrative and allows The Dream to thrive.
post #32865 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post


The conversation being about respect for the flag/anthem/troops instead of black men being gunned down by our civil protectors is because white people would rather have one of those conversations than the other. That's all.

 

But they don't even want to have the other conversation either.  That they are being drug, screaming and pouting, into having it is a sign that the protests are working, in however imprecise a fashion.

post #32866 of 40281
Try telling them that American soldiers died in wars so that an athlete can take a knee during the National anthem.

I truly believe the most American thing civilians can do is to protest and vote. That's democracy, right?

But no, like every fucking thing, it's been diluted and dumbed down into a brand you can get a tattoo for.


Because fuck people.
post #32867 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post
 

The best part is watching dumbfucks burn stuff they paid for. Privilege-tacular.

post #32868 of 40281

Courtesy of Tim Heidecker: 

 

post #32869 of 40281
Tinfoil hat: How much of the neglect of Puerto Rico is payback for Pence at Hamilton earlier this year?
post #32870 of 40281

If anyone you know says they like DJT/GOP tax reform, send them this link-

 

Why we have an inheritance tax

post #32871 of 40281
Mayb e. It's probably has more to do with it's mostly Brown and Black people
post #32872 of 40281

Opposition to the inheritance tax is such an absolute crock of shit.

 

The first $10 million is tax free, for most married couples.

 

Ask someone if they're against it. If they say it needs to go, call them a fucking idiot. To their stupid face. And that they need to stop voting because they are destroying the country.

 

Fucking morons.

post #32873 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
 

Opposition to the inheritance tax is such an absolute crock of shit.

 

The first $10 million is tax free, for most married couples.

 

Ask someone if they're against it. If they say it needs to go, call them a fucking idiot. To their stupid face. And that they need to stop voting because they are destroying the country.

 

Fucking morons.

 

Intellectually, I'm against doing away with it.

Emotionally, I get why people would want to get rid of it.  The idea of inheriting a ton of money as a financial windfall is very, very appealing, and the idea of further taxing money that has already been taxed up the wazoo can be insulting.

post #32874 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

Intellectually, I'm against doing away with it.

Emotionally, I get why people would want to get rid of it.  The idea of inheriting a ton of money as a financial windfall is very, very appealing, and the idea of further taxing money that has already been taxed up the wazoo can be insulting.

 

I dunno, I think the first $10 million that goes untaxed is probably sufficient, as far as windfalls go. Considering that social security stops being taxed at, what, $140k annual? That chunk of money is almost certainly going to be less taxed, when it gets transferred, than anything you and I are likely to ever encounter.

 

So there's that.

post #32875 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
 

 

I dunno, I think the first $10 million that goes untaxed is probably sufficient, as far as windfalls go. Considering that social security stops being taxed at, what, $140k annual? That chunk of money is almost certainly going to be less taxed, when it gets transferred, than anything you and I are likely to ever encounter.

 

So there's that.

 

If you have multiple children, the tax hit is more strongly felt.  Also, bear in mind that there are state estate taxes to be paid as well, and those are usually at a much lower threshold.  

note: I've been dealing with estate taxes over the past 6 months.  Again, I intellectually get why the taxes need to be maintained, but I'll be damned if I don't understand the desire to 'grab it all' if you can, especially if it's a lot of money.

post #32876 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

 

If you have multiple children, the tax hit is more strongly felt.  

 

The tax hit isn't felt, at all, until and unless you are transferring more than $10 million. At which point, only the money past that $10 million is taxed at the inheritance rate.

 

I think the vast majority of people, if they actually understood that point, might be a little hesitant to start throwing social services onto the pyre so that someone's multiple, multiple million dollar take can be taxed at a lower rate, after they already got multiple, multiple millions of dollars tax free.

post #32877 of 40281
Every time inheritance tax comes up in the news, I'm reminded that the British royal family are more popular here than they are in England, and have been for all of my life. Our soap operas are Americanized royal family fantasies. We have an entire subcategory among our celebrities, of men and women who are famous because their parents were accomplished. Some of our major political actors inherited their place in our politics, and we just accept it as normal. This isn't new; our nation's sixth President was the son of our second. I don't really think I have a point to make about it, beyond observing it.
post #32878 of 40281

I think the ever more exclusionary nature of the wealthiest Americans, combined with the ever increasing density of their share of national wealth, and the ever more exclusive places they are sending their ever more exclusive children to be educated, all kind of contribute to the ossification of a new aristocracy in this country that is already doing severe and lasting damage to democratic norms. See, also, Citizens United, Robert Mercer, the Kochs, et al.

 

Going to bat for eliminating the inheritance tax, when that is only felt by people operating on a scale of tens of millions of dollars - who the fuck are these people, anyway? Apparently the ones that get to call the shots, and so long as we ascribe moral status to the accumulation of wealth, they will vastly outrank us all.

post #32879 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
 

 

The tax hit isn't felt, at all, until and unless you are transferring more than $10 million. At which point, only the money past that $10 million is taxed at the inheritance rate.

 

I think the vast majority of people, if they actually understood that point, might be a little hesitant to start throwing social services onto the pyre so that someone's multiple, multiple million dollar take can be taxed at a lower rate, after they already got multiple, multiple millions of dollars tax free.

 

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you.  I'm just saying that I understand the issue firsthand, so I 'get' the emotional response that opponents to the inheritance tax are feeling.

post #32880 of 40281

I pay taxes. I feel like I understand it firsthand as well.

 

My household pulls in a decent amount, so its not like its all hypothetical. I don't have a problem paying most of this stuff, because it seems reasonable and we make use of government services on a daily basis.

 

I don't understand throwing a fit over X% at X million dollars. I feel like its a deeply selfish take on the issue. I don't understand even understanding it. I support its true, that the rich really are different from the rest of us. Mainly, they seem like terrible fucking people.

post #32881 of 40281
No, no, Judas, you can't go empathizing with people Zhukov disagrees with! Didn't you just hear him tell you to call people who want it abolished fucking idiots!? That would do so much good - why are you being such a stick-in-the-mud?
post #32882 of 40281

I dunno, are you a fucking idiot or not, commdorejohn? Jury is still out there, I guess.

 


Personal anecdote, my grandfather went through this when he inherited the family estate from my beloved great-grandmother, and it was pretty serious money. Everyone ended up suing each other, everyone hates each other, and the later generations - who were originally supposed to be beneficiaries of this whole thing - got jack squat out of it. I don't think I have a point there, other than maybe that too much money makes people act like debased savages, and we are well served by any and every effort to mitigate those forces.

post #32883 of 40281
I mean, it's just funny that you seriously think being an aggressive prick to people over their political views is going to make them agree with you.
post #32884 of 40281

I must have missed the part where I was trying to get anyone to agree with me.

Clearly I think defining the stakes a bit more clearly would help a lot of people better understand what is actually being discussed, because there seems to be a lot of misconception about it. And I also clearly think anyone wedded to the idea that this is some grave injustice that needs to be addressed is a fucking idiot, and I'm not trying to change their mind. I just want them to know how terrible I think they are, and how much damage is being done to the country in pursuit of this sort of single-minded greed. I'm not being constructive at that point, and I didn't intend to suggest that I was.

post #32885 of 40281
I agree with you, Zhukov!

Eat the rich!
post #32886 of 40281

I guess we can empathize with all the victims of fake news, who so willingly gobble up all manner of horrific bullshit, because they are too dumb to realize how dumb they are.

 

I dunno man, I think at a certain point you just gotta call this stuff for what it is. You cant dialog your way out of persistent, abhorrent behavior.

Rob the ruling class is more my speed, but either way. 

post #32887 of 40281

All I know is if I inherited 10 million bucks and the government kept 90% I'd be pretty fucking jazzed that I was now a millionaire. It'd be neat to be a millionsaire, but still -- a million bucks!

post #32888 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Eat the rich!



Too skinny, probably tastes like chlorine.

post #32889 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
 

All I know is if I inherited 10 million bucks and the government kept 90% I'd be pretty fucking jazzed that I was now a millionaire. It'd be neat to be a millionsaire, but still -- a million bucks!

 

And in our current system, if you inherit 10 million bucks, you get to keep ... 10 million bucks!

 

Unless you got, like, siblings. Or some lame shit. 


Or if you live in New Jersey. In which case, you have no one to blame but yourself.

post #32890 of 40281

I was just being a smart ass. I'm only going to inherit debt.

post #32891 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
 

I was just being a smart ass. I'm only going to inherit debt.

 

It doesn't even affect the one percent. It affects 0.5%. But the relative takeaway, if you eliminate it, is absolutely huge.

 

But good news, unless you are specifically signed to some sort of business arrangement, you won't inherit debt either. Its fucked up because a lot of banks and companies will lean on surviving members and try to heavily imply there is some legal obligation there, but there isn't. 

post #32892 of 40281

Good to know.

post #32893 of 40281

I APOLOGIZE FOR BEING EXCEPTIONALLY SALTY.

post #32894 of 40281

Don't worry, man. You'll get a new SNES!

post #32895 of 40281
I forgive you, Zhukov!

Eat the middle class!
post #32896 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
 

Don't worry, man. You'll get a new SNES!

 

Fucking one percent, hoarding all the health care and SNES classics.

post #32897 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

I agree with you, Zhukov!

Eat the rich!

NOW we're talking. I'll bring my fork.
post #32898 of 40281
Once all the middle class have been eaten, there'll be no one left to pay taxes but the rich. Everybody wins!

Actually nobody wins.
post #32899 of 40281

There's a middle class left?

 

According to an antiquated and arbitrary method for measuring my household is firmly in the upper middle class. We are blessed with some incredible success and happiness, but we are nowhere near the comfort that the middle class has experienced as its highest highs. It feels like we are hovering somewhere around lower middle class often.

post #32900 of 40281
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
 

There's a middle class left?

 

According to an antiquated and arbitrary method for measuring my household is firmly in the upper middle class. We are blessed with some incredible success and happiness, but we are nowhere near the comfort that the middle class has experienced as its highest highs. It feels like we are hovering somewhere around lower middle class often.

What you doing round here rich boy? GET HIM!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Political Discourse
CHUD.com Community › Forums › POLITICS & RELIGION › Political Discourse › Trumpocalypse Now