or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY - An Actual Post-Release Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY - An Actual Post-Release Thread - Page 62

post #3051 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA View Post

That was a pretty goofy line.  Almost Spaceballs-esque.  He should've dropped his lightsaber like it was a microphone.

One other thing I thought was odd was when Felicity Jones yells "I was 16!". I immediately wondered how she would determine this, as a year is measurement based on the Earth's rotation around the Sun.  I guess all planets in Star Wars have the same orbit speed and distance from their respective stars?

Do not try and make sense of ages etc in the SW universe - that way lies madness, as our laws of time, physics and relativity simply do not translate to a galaxy far, far away...
post #3052 of 3191
Yeah, that's a pretty standard hand-wave for sci-fi, though I'm sure there's some forty-page dissertation on how the calendar works in the EU somewhere.
post #3053 of 3191

Most sci-fi doesn't need 40 pages to throw out the term "galactic standard year" and move on. 

post #3054 of 3191

Sci-fi handwaving of terms, concepts, and science that are not plot-determinative really don't matter and are tedious to discuss.  

post #3055 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

Sci-fi handwaving of terms, concepts, and science that are not plot-determinative really don't matter and are tedious to discuss.  

Tell that to the guy who discovered Midichlorians.
post #3056 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post


Tell that to the guy who discovered Midichlorians.

post #3057 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA View Post

 

One other thing I thought was odd was when Felicity Jones yells "I was 16!". I immediately wondered how she would determine this, as a year is measurement based on the Earth's rotation around the Sun.  I guess all planets in Star Wars have the same orbit speed and distance from their respective stars?

 

Maybe she meant 16 parsecs.

post #3058 of 3191
I'm sure we can all at least agree the Star Wars films would've been improved significantly if George had just had the foresight and artistic integrity to use timestamps.
post #3059 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Another reason that rubber Tarkin's face bugged me is it moved too much. Cushing was stoic and cold in the original and even when telling his expression didn't change so much, or have so much color.

 

They gave him way too much dialogue and way too many scenes.  That kind of stuff works best when done sparingly.  Because it's not perfected yet.  God help us when you wont be able to tell the difference... because like it or not that time is coming.

 

One thing was they overdid the facial expressions.  There was just a little too much "extra" going on whenever he would talk.  And that last 5% of unreal-ness almost makes it worse than the abominations in Polar Express, because those had a distancing effect since they were so imperfect... almost like cartoons.  In the case of R1, the uncanny valley actually gets worse the more technology advances, because its like seeing a few dirty spots on a mostly clean floor... sticks out like a sore thumb... vs. a mostly dirty floor where nothing sticks out, so it's not that offensive or weird.

post #3060 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
 

 

They gave him way too much dialogue and way too many scenes.  That kind of stuff works best when done sparingly.  

 

And it was so unnecessary.  Much of his role could have been filled by Vader, who was not given enough to do.  Or, use a hologram to cut down on CGI wonkiness.

post #3061 of 3191
it was necessary to push the technology back onboard with the ambitions of the franchise for the upcoming SIGGRAPH
post #3062 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post


Do not try and make sense of ages etc in the SW universe - that way lies madness, as our laws of time, physics and relativity simply do not translate to a galaxy far, far away...

 

She should have said "youngling!"

post #3063 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

 

And it was so unnecessary.  Much of his role could have been filled by Vader, who was not given enough to do.  Or, use a hologram to cut down on CGI wonkiness.

 

Naw, even Vader had too much dialogue.  For some reason, he simply lacked the menace and gravitas he had in the OT films, so the more he talked, the more fan fiction-y it seemed.  You could literally feel the tension drain out the theater with every passing line of dialogue he spoke.  Giving him more to do wouldn't have been pretty.

 

It's funny because I haven't been able to pin down what it was about him that was so "off".  Maybe his eyes looked weird, maybe the actor who played him didn't move as hulkingly as Prowse, maybe James Earl Jones' voice didn't have the same deep threatening menace... maybe a combination of those things.

post #3064 of 3191

I think the problem with all of the Empire scenes is... what exactly do they do to push the story forward?  

post #3065 of 3191
Would have been a more interesting movie if it was to entirely from the Empire's point of view. Just a movie following Krennic, his internal struggle with the bureaucracy and red tape while he attempts to destroy the scrappy rebellion until it all falls apart in the final battle.

Hell, we're already at the point where we're fanfictioning and fixing like with the Prequels - What they should have done is...

Truth is the film was OK, nothing more. Some things worked, some didn't. To say we needed less Tarkin and less Vader only comes about because they were in the movie at all. If there was too little of them we'd complain we should have got more. Only way to win in that situation is to have not put either of them in at all as we'd have nothing to want more/less of. Tarkin being in there I can live with, but Vader was just pure fanboy/marketing bullshit. I hope Disney retire the character for a long, long time now (won't happen, obviously).
post #3066 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post
 

I think the problem with all of the Empire scenes is... what exactly do they do to push the story forward?  

They're meant to be a clunky bureaucratic ticking clock!

post #3067 of 3191

I really really feel bad for people who look at this film SOOOOOOO cynically.  They see an awesome Vader moment, where he's used sparingly and awesomely, and you see it as cynically as possible.  

post #3068 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

They're meant to be a clunky bureaucratic ticking clock!

Just like the Jedi Order.

Hey, that's like poetr ah fuck it.
post #3069 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

I really really feel bad for people who look at this film SOOOOOOO cynically.  They see an awesome Vader moment, where he's used sparingly and awesomely, and you see it as cynically as possible.  

Don't feel bad. Enjoy your empty, sugary treat.
post #3070 of 3191

I feel bad because I agree with Freeman so much about this movie.

post #3071 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 

I feel bad because I agree with Freeman so much about this movie.

You've said that many times now about many things.  

post #3072 of 3191

hey michaelC

 

don't you love ultrum?

post #3073 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

Don't feel bad. Enjoy your empty, sugary treat.

Magnanimous. Because everything you enjoy is purespun gold, obviously.
post #3074 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

Would have been a more interesting movie if it was to entirely from the Empire's point of view. Just a movie following Krennic, his internal struggle with the bureaucracy and red tape while he attempts to destroy the scrappy rebellion until it all falls apart in the final battle.

 

No, it really wouldn't.  What you're describing is a Robot Chicken short.

post #3075 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 

I feel bad because I agree with Freeman so much about this movie.

You've said that many times now about many things.  

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post
 

hey michaelC

 

don't you love ultrum?

 

post #3076 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post
 

They're meant to be a clunky bureaucratic ticking clock!

 

They're basically ANH Empire cut scenes 2.0.

 

They even use the Death Star to blowup a piece / whole planet.

post #3077 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
 

 

No, it really wouldn't.  What you're describing is a Robot Chicken short.

 

I would love it if all future spin offs were released in this format instead.

post #3078 of 3191
If fanservice is your thing, then Vader cutting up rebels delivers the goods (aside from that clumsy final shot of him looking out at the ship).

However, that conversation with Krennic was not very good at all. It felt amateurish and awkward through and through.
post #3079 of 3191
Oh, FFS. The scene with Vader chopping up jabrones was meant to convey that the Rebellion had people who bought in, who faced death and completed their missions. Like the Hammerhead crew who fucked that Destroyer at the cost of their lives. Like the main cast. Like real soldiers.
post #3080 of 3191
YEAH WE CARE SO MUCH ABOUT THE NOBODIES

Audiences care about Vader. They don't care about his lightsaber fodder.
post #3081 of 3191
all the Vader sequence conveyed to me is how BADASS and AWESOME Vader is and how it's everything I ever wanted out of life.

whoop
whoop!
post #3082 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
 

 

 

It's funny because I haven't been able to pin down what it was about him that was so "off".  Maybe his eyes looked weird, maybe the actor who played him didn't move as hulkingly as Prowse, maybe James Earl Jones' voice didn't have the same deep threatening menace... maybe a combination of those things.


All of the above..except, his eye lenses had the proper red tint just like in New Hope. FINALLY!

post #3083 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA View Post

It was nice to see, when the one ship hit the side of the mountain that it, y'know, fucking wrecked the engine, unlike the Millennium Falcon in TFA that bounced of multiple ship destroying surfaces and remained relatively unfazed.

Just one of the many reasons Rogue One plays as so much less cartoonish.
post #3084 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

YEAH WE CARE SO MUCH ABOUT THE NOBODIES

Audiences care about Vader. They don't care about his lightsaber fodder.

 

Yes, and god forbid an audience should like a movie.

post #3085 of 3191
people liked forwakens! very much!
post #3086 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Slim View Post

Magnanimous. Because everything you enjoy is purespun gold, obviously.

Hey, these Dean Cain movies ain't gonna watch themselves!
post #3087 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

Yes, and god forbid an audience should like a movie.
JUST OPEN YOURSELF TO THE WONDER

I'm just saying it's empty fanservice. I can understand why they did it. I can understand why people liked it. But fanservice it remains, not some great dramatic accent that flows naturally from the story up until that moment.
post #3088 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

I'm just saying it's empty fanservice.

 

Yeah, and I can see the Han Solo prequel being much worse in this regard.  There are so many fan service opportunities with that character and background.  Lord and Miller are good directors, but I refuse to see a movie with a different actor playing Solo, you just have to put your foot down at some point.  Same with Indy.  Do whatever you want with Star Wars, just leave the original cast alone.

post #3089 of 3191
I actually think Alden can pull it off.

I'm not confident the filmmakers will make it worth it.
post #3090 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

I actually think Alden can pull it off.

 

His ability to pull it off or not isn't really my concern.  It is just a bad idea in principle to me.

post #3091 of 3191

It is akin to recasting Marty McFly or Doc Brown or Ellen Ripley or Egon Spengler.  It's just a silly, stupid idea that shouldn't exist.

post #3092 of 3191
I'm actually pretty glad they recast Marty McFly.
post #3093 of 3191
"And Stoltz weeped"
post #3094 of 3191

A.J. LoCascio played Marty McFly in BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE GAME:

http://pressthebuttons.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83452033569e20133f54b1ecf970b-600wi

 

David Kaufman played Marty McFly in BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE ANIMATED SERIES:

 

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/24400000/Back-to-the-Future-Animated-Series-Production-Cel-back-to-the-future-24420690-500-386.jpg

 

Dan Castellaneta played Doctor Emmett Brown in BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE ANIMATED SERIES:

http://www.chud.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Back-to-the-Future-Animated-Series-Production-Cel-back-to-the-future-24420685-1203-852.jpg

 

Laurel Lefkow played Ellen Ripley in the audio drama ALIEN: OUT OF THE SHADOWS:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/avp/images/7/71/Out_of_the_Shadows_audiobook.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160407104538

 

Maurice LaMarche played Egon Spengler in THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS:

http://rubberslug.s3.amazonaws.com/user/c/5df493136e94a4781195e463e86064d/ktkiuyfbby_o.jpg

 

---------------------------------------

 

https://nitehawkcinema.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/starship-troopers-wyltkm.jpg 


Edited by Barry Woodward - 1/12/17 at 10:16am
post #3095 of 3191

(bashes "No" button below "WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?" prompt with increasing emphasis)

post #3096 of 3191

Any role can be recast, so long as they find the right story and the right actor to justify doing so.


Edited by Barry Woodward - 1/12/17 at 10:29am
post #3097 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Woodward View Post
 

A.J. LoCascio played Marty McFly in BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE GAME:

http://pressthebuttons.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83452033569e20133f54b1ecf970b-600wi

 

David Kaufman played Marty McFly in BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE ANIMATED SERIES:

 

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/24400000/Back-to-the-Future-Animated-Series-Production-Cel-back-to-the-future-24420690-500-386.jpg

 

Dan Castellaneta played Doctor Emmett Brown in BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE ANIMATED SERIES:

http://www.chud.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Back-to-the-Future-Animated-Series-Production-Cel-back-to-the-future-24420685-1203-852.jpg

 

Laurel Lefkow played Ellen Ripley in the audio drama ALIEN: OUT OF THE SHADOWS:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/avp/images/7/71/Out_of_the_Shadows_audiobook.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160407104538

 

Maurice LaMarche played Egon Spengler in THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS:

http://rubberslug.s3.amazonaws.com/user/c/5df493136e94a4781195e463e86064d/ktkiuyfbby_o.jpg

 

---------------------------------------

 

https://nitehawkcinema.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/starship-troopers-wyltkm.jpg 

 

I didn't watch any of these either, so your point is kind of lost on me... those spin offs were also unnecessary corporate decisions and even as a kid I instinctively avoided them because they felt like needless cash-ins.

 

I know Kasdan spearheaded the Solo remake, but it doesn't make it any more acceptable to me.  Don't let me discourage anyone from seeing it, but I'm not interested.

post #3098 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Woodward View Post
 

Any role can be recast, so long as they find the right story and the right actor to justify doing so.

 

I know!  So Tarkin...why?  

 

(again, I'm not as offended by this as some, just genuinely baffled at the decision to do things the much, much harder way)

post #3099 of 3191

I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of recasting Han, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. The fact that this takes place ten years before A NEW HOPE makes it a little easier to swallow.

post #3100 of 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
 

 

I know!  So Tarkin...why?  

 

(again, I'm not as offended by this as some, just genuinely baffled at the decision to do things the much, much harder way)

pushing the tech for the sake of pushing the tech!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY - An Actual Post-Release Thread