CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › SPLIT (2017) Post-Release Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SPLIT (2017) Post-Release Discussion - Page 9

post #401 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munson View Post

I really was disappointed with The Beast. I wanted something more then roid rage Professor X. The whole train transformation sequence basically amounted to Mcavoy taking off his shirt and showing off his sick gains.

Watching mopey Bruno wrestle around with some shirtless guy.. I dunno. Wacky twist though!

Ditto. After the build up and he question of "what can belief do to your body? How far can it be pushed?" And knowing we were in a Shyamalan film, I was really hoping that the Beast would look like the drawings of the Beast we were shown. That the Horde was truly something new, and the Beast personality didn't just make him walk differently or sound differently - it truly transformed him. They even set it up with the need for one personality to have insulin, saying it changed his body chemistry. Just push it to the next level and have him be a giant spikey rage monster.
post #402 of 427

Maybe now he's got a bigger budget they'll give us the more fantastical Beast they were hinting at this time.

post #403 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post

That the Horde was truly something new, and the Beast personality didn't just make him walk differently or sound differently 
 

 

I watched this a few nights ago, and was pretty underwhelmed with McAvoy. As one reviewer noted, he makes most of his personalities sound like their from Brooklyn.

 

Anyone else think it was a mistake having Kevin's psychiatrist be a significant part of the storyline? I think it would have been more interesting to have the psychiatrist be one his personalities. 

post #404 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post

Ditto. After the build up and he question of "what can belief do to your body? How far can it be pushed?" And knowing we were in a Shyamalan film, I was really hoping that the Beast would look like the drawings of the Beast we were shown. That the Horde was truly something new, and the Beast personality didn't just make him walk differently or sound differently - it truly transformed him. They even set it up with the need for one personality to have insulin, saying it changed his body chemistry. Just push it to the next level and have him be a giant spikey rage monster.

Camera tricks seemed to imply he'd gotten taller. Plus being able to crawl on walls and take a shotgun blast.

Seemed right in line with Shyamalan's understated approach. I suspect even a larger budget wouldn't alter that.
post #405 of 427

fwiw, I liked the fact that The Beast ended up being a real superpowered being, but not in any over the top kind of way. Just a little bit extranormal, can climb walls and bend steel and shrug off a shotgun blast, but with the addition of being super fucking crazy. Now that is a scary bad guy.

post #406 of 427
Night's Twitter:

Feel nervous and excited. Want to make a small intricate film with a big idea at its center. #Glass
post #407 of 427

Good, glad Shyamalan isn't going for some epic capper. Keep that Unbreakable intimacy!

post #408 of 427
Yeah, I love that he's going small with big ideas. It's perfect.
post #409 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceL View Post
 

fwiw, I liked the fact that The Beast ended up being a real superpowered being, but not in any over the top kind of way. Just a little bit extranormal, can climb walls and bend steel and shrug off a shotgun blast


Um, just curious but what would be an over the top superpower to you here though - especially compared to the shotgun-imperviousness?

post #410 of 427

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jones View Post
 


Um, just curious but what would be an over the top superpower to you here though - especially compared to the shotgun-imperviousness?

 

What he really wanted was a world destroying portal in the sky.  Only then would he be happy. 

post #411 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

Quote:

What he really wanted was a world destroying portal in the sky with di-i-amonds. 

Only then would he be happy.
post #412 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones View Post
 


Um, just curious but what would be an over the top superpower to you here though - especially compared to the shotgun-imperviousness?

well most superheros have flashier stuff like Superman's heat vision or whatever, but yeah I guess being able to shrug off a shotgun is pretty major now that I think about it.

post #413 of 427

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/glass-m-night-shyamalan-spoilers-details-unbreakable-split-1201883281/

 

Quote:
 

‘Glass’: Everything You Need to Know As M. Night Shyamalan Begins Filming His ‘Unbreakable’/’Split’ Sequel

17 years after being introduced to the world, David Dunn is finally back in front of the camera as production begins on "Glass."

post #414 of 427
I DON'T NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING INDIEWIRE! I DON'T EVEN WANT A TRAILER!
post #415 of 427
I... I.... do.
post #416 of 427

Wow, I had noted the hype around Split but stayed away due to Shamalyan fatigue. 

 

I was actually unspoiled for this, I avoided the thread initially when I figured I wanted to see it. I was expecting the twist to be that the female lead was Kevin or some version of that......then the Unbreakable theme hit and it became clear. I am more exited for Glass than I have been for any movie I can remember, that is a pretty cool feeling for an old fart like me. 

post #417 of 427
I honestly can't wait for Glass. Still don't why we have to wait until 2018. He's almost.done filming it now. Brutal.
post #418 of 427

I don't have time to find it at the moment, but I love Kevin Smith's account of talking to Bruce Willis briefly on the phone about Split. According to him, Willis' response was "Yeah, Shyamalan asked me to sit in a cafe for an hour or two, and now I've got a new movie. Which is pretty cool."

post #419 of 427
I love the vid of Night asking Jackson to watch a private screening of Split and during the whole movie didn't know why he asked him to watch it. Until the end.
post #420 of 427
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

I don't have time to find it at the moment, but I love Kevin Smith's account of talking to Bruce Willis briefly on the phone about Split. According to him, Willis' response was "Yeah, Shyamalan asked me to sit in a cafe for an hour or two, and now I've got a new movie. Which is pretty cool."


I'm surprised they're still on speaking terms.

post #421 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post
 


I'm surprised they're still on speaking terms.

 

So is Kevin Smith!

 

post #422 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccc View Post

I love the vid of Night asking Jackson to watch a private screening of Split and during the whole movie didn't know why he asked him to watch it. Until the end.

where is this video??
post #423 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

 

So is Kevin Smith!

 

I love Kevin Smith as a person (obligatory mention of how I interviewed him once and we talked for two hours), but his continuous insistence that he's just a regular guy that's still starstruck feels dishonest at this point.

 

I mean, even the bottom of the barrel for him, Tusk and Yoga Hosers, still has Johnny Depp in it. He knows A-listers, he's worked with them, he's been in this industry for 20+ years. Stop acting like you're an outsider! 

post #424 of 427
I love Bruce Willis's "sorta" way of apologizing. See Willis gets FOMO as well.
post #425 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

where is this video??

http://collider.com/split-2-samuel-l-jackson-interview/
post #426 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post

 

I mean, even the bottom of the barrel for him, Tusk and Yoga Hosers, still has Johnny Depp in it. He knows A-listers, he's worked with them, he's been in this industry for 20+ years. Stop acting like you're an outsider! 

In fairness to Smith, apparently, his daughter is good friends with Depp's daughter, as they go to the same school, so that is how he got Depp in his movies.  So yeah, he's not really an outsider, but I don't think he has other A-list talent clamoring to be in his movies.

post #427 of 427
Will Smith was in JERSEY GIRL! The biggest star in the world at that time!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › SPLIT (2017) Post-Release Discussion