CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › Stranger Things: Season Two (Netflix) discussion brought to you by Overlord
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stranger Things: Season Two (Netflix) discussion brought to you by Overlord - Page 13

post #601 of 612
Anyone think Will is probably Hopper's kid?
post #602 of 612

It would explain douche husband's treatment of him somewhat.  Didn't they imply her and Hop was in high school, if it happened at all?   So team Jonathan would make more sense... unless she went back to Hop, and then, well, why not both?

post #603 of 612

Yeah, I think Jonathan being a Hopper makes more sense chronologically.

post #604 of 612

They keep dropping subtle hints.

 

In the first episode, one of the deputies asks if Hop and Joyce used to get it on. And in season two, I think it's Reiser or some other medical person refers to Hopper as Will's dad and there's a weird beat.

post #605 of 612
I'm hoping Joyce got it on with a ghoul played by Michael Keaton.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Hopefully she didn't say his name three times.
post #606 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
 

They keep dropping subtle hints.

 

In the first episode, one of the deputies asks if Hop and Joyce used to get it on. And in season two, I think it's Reiser or some other medical person refers to Hopper as Will's dad and there's a weird beat.


I took that as more of a setup for an eventual rekindling of their relationship than a clue about Will/Jonathan's parentage.  I think they were trying for the world's most low-key love triangle with Hopper and Joyce having natural chemistry while Bob was a healthier option for her. 

post #607 of 612
Well you did it. You made me like Steve. Goddamn it Stranger Things.
post #608 of 612

Warning there are spoilery thoughts and rampant speculation within.

 

Watched it.  It's very good.  I think much of my fondness stems from it generally doing everything right where many a 'kids show gone primetime' went wrong (Lost, Heroes, you name it).

The sore thumb of episode 7 illustrates this to some extent.  The writing in that would be right at home in a lot of other worse shows under network time pressure.  What's interesting to me is that I think you could take every scene of it as written and spread out the Chicago adventure over two or three episodes and the whole thing would work fine.  Space everything out and we'll fill in the the blanks of some developing character and relationships and things would not be so rushed and cramped and convenient.

But they hit other timeline problems doing that as that means El has to be gone and Hop 'otherwise occupied' for longer in ways that you can't just humerously handwave away like you can with, oh, let's say,  useless self absorbed parents in 80s domestic malaise.  Either way it seems like something of an after thought. The episode count too.  This was an 8 episode series where El goes to find her mum and maybe finds out about other 'numbers' (her name does imply after all) and comes back again.  Seems like anyway.  The Janey goes to Hollywood should have been season 3, but anyway...

 

I get in trouble writing the show myself enough as it is.  The implications of season one seemed to me that El had to destroy herself to defeat the demogorgon.  That kind of thing produced a lot of speculation about their symmetry, which kinda didn't happen.  So she ends up just transported there?  Bit boring.  I was half expecting she had to reconstitute herself through pure will (yuk yuk) like Dr Manhattan.  Maybe she did and she doesn't know it.  At any rate they are doing a pretty good job addressing stuff people think are loose ends so far so hopefully there's more.  Either way, thanks to this kind of thing and how rapidly people comprehend and deal with the weirdness in the show the overall effect is not as spooky and mystical as I'd like.  But that's something I'll just have to deal with I suppose.

But who knows.  Later people might try to shoot her or something and she's caught off guard and it turns out she's actually shadow creature herself.  Or constituted of vine matter like Swamp Thing or something.  I don't know how that would go down with people if she wasn't a 'real girl' anymore.  hmmm...

 

I was also a bit surprised that Max becomes pretty converted to the cult of El without really seeing her do anything except look like she's a junior member of Human League or New Order or something.  I'm torn on that.  It was probably too early to have some scene where she lays waste to a strike force of demodogs, even though many fans would have loved it.  She is still a fragile kid on some level.  But in her comeback I was expecting at least something like the return of Gandalf where they shoot at her by mistake, bullets get deflected or some such.

Anyway, probably more waffle later.

post #609 of 612
I was surprised to see people complaining the storyline giving final rest to and justice for Barb as a reaction to some online movement.

If this show has shown us anything, it’s how it differs from other mainstream shows of this ilk by treating the audience with a degree of intelligence and respect by showing that things aren’t all neatly tied up in the end and the heroes aren’t alway (hardly ever) typically square-jawed and easy on the eye. Let’s face it, if this show was made by any other channel, those weird-looking (and completely ordinary for that) kids wouldn’t get a chance in hell of being front and center, neither would David Harbour as the overweight sweaty mess that he is. Isn’t one of the reasons we love this show so much because the depictions of the characters are people we can identify with? The heroes are no longer pretty hollywood types. The kids are awkward-looking and act scared, the adults are fat, sweaty, borderline-alcoholic, and single parents. This show is a hit, not because of some generic alternative dimension sci-fi bobbins, it’s a hit because the characters and their actions depicted in it are realistic and we can identify with them.

And so when there’s some sort of faux movement online for justice for Barb and then people say the storyline in S2 was a reaction to that - Really? Based on the way the characters and the story had been written in S1 it makes perfect sense that loose ends aren’t neatly tied up and a year later people are still dealing with the consequences and fallout. Nancy, Steve and Barb’s parents coming together each month makes perfect sense and I’m sure was written well before any cutesy Justice for Barb meme appeared on tumblr or wherever.
post #610 of 612

Stale Elvis?

 

Pretty fresh.

post #611 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

And so when there’s some sort of faux movement online for justice for Barb and then people say the storyline in S2 was a reaction to that - Really? Based on the way the characters and the story had been written in S1 it makes perfect sense that loose ends aren’t neatly tied up and a year later people are still dealing with the consequences and fallout. Nancy, Steve and Barb’s parents coming together each month makes perfect sense and I’m sure was written well before any cutesy Justice for Barb meme appeared on tumblr or wherever.

Yeah that drives me nuts.  It's online pundits making themselves simultaneously vital to the direction of the show, then saying the show should ignore all of it because they're tired of reading online punditry (except theirs one presumes).

 

"Your addressing of important, logical narrative matters pre-emptively bores me sir!  Because I am tired of reading other people flag up these matters as potential material for your production!

It concerns me that you would seemingly let such concerns influence the writing of your televisual production.  Attached is my helpful guide to avoiding this appearance of undue influence by the needlessly concerned!

 

Sincerely

Concerned

Maine"

 

I don't know where it's supposed to lead if productions have to avoid everything the audience flags up just because that's annoying or something.  For one thing, the audience is bigger than online fandom (or at least you'd hope so, and you should write so regardless) and for another, it isn't pandering just because the audience got what they wanted (even though the two look alike).

post #612 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

I was surprised to see people complaining the storyline giving final rest to and justice for Barb as a reaction to some online movement.



If this show has shown us anything, it’s how it differs from other mainstream shows of this ilk by treating the audience with a degree of intelligence and respect by showing that things aren’t all neatly tied up in the end and the heroes aren’t alway (hardly ever) typically square-jawed and easy on the eye. Let’s face it, if this show was made by any other channel, those weird-looking (and completely ordinary for that) kids wouldn’t get a chance in hell of being front and center, neither would David Harbour as the overweight sweaty mess that he is. Isn’t one of the reasons we love this show so much because the depictions of the characters are people we can identify with? The heroes are no longer pretty hollywood types. The kids are awkward-looking and act scared, the adults are fat, sweaty, borderline-alcoholic, and single parents. This show is a hit, not because of some generic alternative dimension sci-fi bobbins, it’s a hit because the characters and their actions depicted in it are realistic and we can identify with them.



And so when there’s some sort of faux movement online for justice for Barb and then people say the storyline in S2 was a reaction to that - Really? Based on the way the characters and the story had been written in S1 it makes perfect sense that loose ends aren’t neatly tied up and a year later people are still dealing with the consequences and fallout. Nancy, Steve and Barb’s parents coming together each month makes perfect sense and I’m sure was written well before any cutesy Justice for Barb meme appeared on tumblr or wherever.

 





Jeez, man, Finn Wolfhard isn't that ugly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Television
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › Stranger Things: Season Two (Netflix) discussion brought to you by Overlord