CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › HALLOWEEN 11: THE 3D OF MICHAEL MYERS - Pre-Release Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HALLOWEEN 11: THE 3D OF MICHAEL MYERS - Pre-Release Thread

post #1 of 310
Thread Starter 

Written by Danny McBride and David Gordon Green (!).  Directed by David Gordon Green.  Executive produced by John Carpenter. Possibly with music by John Carpenter.

 

I'm going to level with all of you.  I've waited years to open up a HALLOWEEN pre-release thread.

post #2 of 310
I'll probably see this.
post #3 of 310
Hey Dark, what does your name mean?? :P
post #4 of 310

Goggins for Loomis.

post #5 of 310
I already fan-cast Goggins for Loomis in the horror thread, Molt. Where were you?!
post #6 of 310

Eyebrow threading appointment.

post #7 of 310
I have a soft spot for this franchise.
post #8 of 310

Possible Dr. Loomises from DGG's back catalog: 
 

Al Pacino

Nicolas Cage 

Charles Dance (Your Highness)

Toby Jones (Your Highness)

Harmony Korine

Ed Begley Jr.

Don Johnson

post #9 of 310
Possible Laurie Strodes:

Natalie Portman
Katy Mixon
Danny McBride
post #10 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Possible Laurie Strodes:

Natalie Portman
Katy Mixon
Danny McBride

Walton Goggins:

 

 

post #11 of 310
I really hope the trailer says "From the team that brought you Your Highness..."
post #12 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomTastic View Post

Walton Goggins:

 

Walton Goggins is Melania Trump.
post #13 of 310

From the mouth of madness...well, Carpenter himself on Facebook:

 

Quote:
 

So you say you want a Revolution? 

You want to shake things up and bring back Halloween and make it rock again?

Well so do I.

So here’s the announcement you’ve all been waiting for:

David Gordon Green and Danny McBride are joining the project to complete the creative team. David and Danny will write the script together and David will direct. I will continue in my executive producer role to consult and offer my advice and feedback as needed.

David and Danny both came to my office recently with Jason Blum and shared their vision for the new movie and…WOW. They get it. I think you’re gonna dig it. They blew me away.

I might even do the music. Maybe. It could be kind of cool.

And you’ll get to see it in theaters on October 19th, 2018.

post #14 of 310
Paramount's not producing, are they?!
post #15 of 310
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

Hey Dark, what does your name mean?? :P

 

On my world it means hope.

post #16 of 310

Interesting.. A film script that even impressed 'The God of Horror' himself, John Carpenter.

A movie that takes place after H1 (1978) and H1 (1981)

 

This might actually work.

post #17 of 310
Jamie Lee Curtis confirmed to return.

And like that... The Dark Shape went into nerd-coma
post #18 of 310
Thread Starter 

^ is dead now, struck down by a heart attack because of this news.

post #19 of 310
So this is techinocally a remake of H20
post #20 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post
 

^ is dead now, struck down by a heart attack because of this news.

 


Edited by FilmNerdJamie - 9/15/17 at 12:20pm
post #21 of 310
I wonder if this leaves H20 as canon but gives Resurrection the boot.


I am not understand.

Just call it the Ghost of Michael Myers and be done with it. Whatever it ends up being, I'm at the very LEAST interested..
post #22 of 310

I love Jamie Lee Curtis, but I was hoping she wouldn't come back as the one thing I've grown not to be a fan of is the long lost brother/sister stuff. It doesn't really mean anything and Carpenter knew that when he came up with it.

post #23 of 310
It's good to see Carpenter giving a darn about his franchise again.

And also, is this photo new? Because it's great.

post #24 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post
 

I love Jamie Lee Curtis, but I was hoping she wouldn't come back as the one thing I've grown not to be a fan of is the long lost brother/sister stuff. It doesn't really mean anything and Carpenter knew that when he came up with it.

 

This is where I am at too.

 

I am happy for my dear pals like The Dark Shape who are freaking out over this. But... I mean... this will be Curtis' 5th turn in the role and now the 2nd retcon pertaining to her. This just doesn't hold the weight and "Holy S-H-I-T!" factor that it did 20 years ago when she agreed to return for Halloween: H20

 

I was under the impression this wasn't going to bog itself down in continuity. Just be a straight-up Halloween film. But you throw in Laurie Strode again and questions arise about what timeline they are choosing to adhere to. The kind of details that get in the way of the simple, Boogeyman freight-fest that made the original such a perfect film. But... it's all about the execution and truthfully, no, I don't know what they are going for. I give them the benefit of the doubt here. But again this honestly isn't the big deal we're making it out to be. 

post #25 of 310

Halloween is one of the greatest American films ever produced, and H20 is the first R-rated movie I ever saw in a theater. I have a soft spot for this series and Curtis as Laurie. 

 

Here for it. So here for it. 

post #26 of 310

I kind of hope they just kill Curtis off in the opening scenes, as a way of showing that the movie could go anywhere and do anything. 

post #27 of 310
Hell....they've already done THAT once.


Lol but I'd watch it again..*shrugs*
post #28 of 310

Which... they already did with Halloween: Resurrection

 

My guess... this ignores everything outside the original. Even Halloween II which Carpenter himself isn't a fan of. Thus no more family connection.

post #29 of 310

It's not so much Curtis's return, as she's shown a willingness to slum in the worst of this series before (Resurrection), but the fact that the David Gordon Green and Danny McBride version is apparently going ahead. That's exciting, because it's so, so out of left field.

 

But yeah, we're getting into Highlander territory with the amount of continuities bumping up against each other. 

post #30 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Hell....they've already done THAT once.
 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
 

Which... they already did with Halloween: Resurrection

 

 

Fair enough. I've only seen the first two, H20 and those god-awful Rob Zombie ones. 

post #31 of 310
Ugh. I had hoped this movie would finally wipe clean Halloween II from from canon status and build a new continuity where The Shape and Laurie were not brother and sister. I'm still interested of course, I love McBride and Green and am curious to see what they can do with a horror film, but I was looking forward to this being an entirely new direction for the franchise.
post #32 of 310
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post
 

It's not so much Curtis's return, as she's shown a willingness to slum in the worst of this series before (Resurrection)

 

She was obligated to appear in any sequel to H20 based on her contract for that film.

 

I went to a screening of HALLOWEEN a couple years ago with a John Carpenter/Jamie Lee Curtis Q&A.  She said she'd happily appear in another HALLOWEEN film so long as Malek Akkad backs a dump truck of money into her drive way.

 

Guess Malek got his class C license.

post #33 of 310
Part of me gets wanting to de-canonize Halloween II. I don't really like the sister thing either.

But then I remember how much I love that movie and how much it absolutely stomps on most every other slasher movie ever except for it's predecessor..
post #34 of 310

This franchise

 

 

I think they hire these out-of-left-field filmmakers to distract people from the fact that it's a horrible idea.

post #35 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post
 

 

She was obligated to appear in any sequel to H20 based on her contract for that film.

My bad.

 

Nevertheless, this isn't Ford/Hamill/Fisher returning to Star Wars. Curtis already did this 20 years ago, so we already know what her take on a middle-aged Laurie will be like. Except I'm confident Green and McBride will purposefully do something completely different. 

post #36 of 310
Thread Starter 

I'm absolutely in favor of ignoring HALLOWEEN II, because that movie is terrible and the sister twist is both stupid and retroactively damages the first film.

 

But it's too much a part of pop culture at this point.  Laurie Strode is Michael Myers' sister.  Joe Blow would be confused if it was otherwise going forward.

post #37 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post
 

But it's too much a part of pop culture at this point.  Laurie Strode is Michael Myers' sister.  Joe Blow would be confused if it was otherwise going forward.

 

This franchise has shown such disregard to continuity (retconning for the third time now). Joe Six Pack won't care as long as this is good.

post #38 of 310
Thread Starter 

They've never retconned that much.  There's a reason Rob Zombie made Laurie Strode Michael's sister even though he had a clean slate to work with.

post #39 of 310

I hope they go SUPER META and reveal only the first movie "happened," and all the sequels were novels written by Laurie and bad movies based on said novels. 

post #40 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post
 

They've never retconned that much.  There's a reason Rob Zombie made Laurie Strode Michael's sister even though he had a clean slate to work with.

 

Because he's a shitty filmmaker without ideas of his own besides turning The Shape into a White Trash Hobo in a Hoodie?

post #41 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post

They've never retconned that much.  There's a reason Rob Zombie made Laurie Strode Michael's sister even though he had a clean slate to work with.


 



Well, there was all that silly Cult of Thorn nonsense.
post #42 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post
 

 

She was obligated to appear in any sequel to H20 based on her contract for that film.

 

I went to a screening of HALLOWEEN a couple years ago with a John Carpenter/Jamie Lee Curtis Q&A.  She said she'd happily appear in another HALLOWEEN film so long as Malek Akkad backs a dump truck of money into her drive way.

 

Guess Malek got his class C license.

Actually, if he's driving a dump truck he should have a Class B.

post #43 of 310
Thread Starter 

post #44 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

I kind of hope they just kill Curtis off in the opening scenes, as a way of showing that the movie could go anywhere and do anything. 

Been done and honestly.....what a downer it was. H20 wasn't actually a terrible ending for her character. She finally faces her demon. To not only undo that but then to kill her in such a silly way is a pretty terrible way to have the greatest final girl go out.

post #45 of 310
Is it my imagination or just reading too much into it that some of the later movies (Curse of Michael Myers in particular) seemed like they were actually trying to force Halloween III into the continuity of the Halloween movies? Like...Season of the Witch had Druids as it's villains and then they started with the whole thorn thing?
post #46 of 310
I always thought of Halloween 6 as a too-literal interpretation of Loomis's speech in II about Samhain and the end of summer, etc.
post #47 of 310
Now if we could just get another Friday the 13th. I will continue to remain irritated over that bullshit. Didn't most everybody like that remake and wasn't it commercially successful as well? Or am I remembering wrong? Why would these assholes even other to get the rights to it if that's all they're gonna do with it? It's been so long now that whatever the next one is (if there is a next one) will most likely be ANOTHER reboot. Frustrates the shit outta me.

But anyways...now that I got that outta my system. I hope something doesn't happen to fuck shit up before it gets made. Any of these slasher properties is just a license to print money but the rights holders just sit on it. Be fucking greedy you assholes! I want you to take my money if you'll just keep making them!
post #48 of 310
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Didn't most everybody like that remake and wasn't it commercially successful as well? Or am I remembering wrong?

 

You're remembering wrong.  Audiences hated it, and it had the worst box office legs ever for a wide release at the time.

post #49 of 310

Saw Joe recently, didn't do anything to excite me about this. Wonder if they'll do Carpenter's old H4 concept, or if it'll be some meta bullshit.

post #50 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMcLargeHuge View Post
 

Saw Joe recently, didn't do anything to excite me about this. Wonder if they'll do Carpenter's old H4 concept, or if it'll be some meta bullshit.

 

Oooo, what was Carpenter's idea for 4?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › HALLOWEEN 11: THE 3D OF MICHAEL MYERS - Pre-Release Thread