CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › Spielberg's THE POST pre-release
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Spielberg's THE POST pre-release

post #1 of 260
Thread Starter 
Woah, the Beard is fast tracking this. shooting this May for release in the Autumn. Can't wait.

http://variety.com/2017/film/columns/steven-spielberg-the-post-pentagon-papers-1202006970/
post #2 of 260

Holy shit, I thought this wouldn't come until at least after Ready Player One.

post #3 of 260

Holy fucking motherfuck, the cast on this!

 

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/steven-spielberg-pentagon-papers-movie-sarah-paulson-bob-odenkirk-matthew-rhys-1202454085/

 

Sarah Paulson, Bob Odenkirk, Matthew Rhys, Bradley Whitford, Carrie Coon, Jesse Plemons, David Cross, Alison Brie, Bruce Greenwood, Tracy Letts, Michael Stuhlbarg, and Zach Woods have joined the ensemble of Steven Spielberg’s “The Papers,” which already stars Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep. The film centers on the Washington Post’s decision to publish the classified Pentagon Papers in 1971.

 

Was already looking forward to this, but GODDAMN.

 

Also, between Odenkirk and Cross, it's a stealth Mr. Show reunion, I guess?

post #4 of 260

sounds nice!

post #5 of 260
The fact that this is being shot and released this year while post is still on-going for Ready Player One is absurd. Obviously, Spielberg has pulled this trick several times, but I will never cease to be amazed at his ability to pull it off.
post #6 of 260

Bob and David directed by the Beard.  It's nice to know that the world still permits events like this to happen.

post #7 of 260
The cast makes it sound like "Netflix Binge: The Movie."
post #8 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by COULD432 View Post

The fact that this is being shot and released this year while post is still on-going for Ready Player One is absurd. Obviously, Spielberg has pulled this trick several times, but I will never cease to be amazed at his ability to pull it off.

Well when you have a good editor at your side, I'm sure placing your focus to the next film is much easier. Especially in this day and age when you can literally be sent a copy of the film via internet.
post #9 of 260

Nice to see Michael Stuhlbarg amongst the cast. The guy deserves more recognition. 

post #10 of 260

He's kicking incomprehensible amounts of butt on Fargo this season.

post #11 of 260

Great cast.  Still wish Spielberg was doing something else with his time, though.

post #12 of 260

Not going to lie, getting a TERMINAL MAN-vibe from this project. Haven't honestly loved a Spielberg since the MUNICH/WAR OF THE WORLDS two-fer in '05. Of course, I'll be there day one for RPO just to see his take on Ultraman. 

post #13 of 260

According to Variety, John Williams is scoring this film instead of READY PLAYER ONE (which will be scored by Alan Silvestri), as his schedule won't allow him to do both.

 

I'm disappointed.  I have absolutely no idea what Williams' READY PLAYER ONE might have sounded like, while I have an incredibly good idea what his THE PAPERS is going to sound like.  I'm really curious why he and Spielberg decided he should do THE PAPERS over RPO.

post #14 of 260

Strange. But then Alan Silvestri with Spielberg sounds pretty inspired. 

post #15 of 260

I'm sure Silvestri will do a fine job (and his hiring all but guarantees we'll get some BACK TO THE FUTURE thematic statements).  I was just excited about the prospect of Williams dealing with subject matter he hasn't tackled before.  Oh well. 

post #16 of 260

Maybe Williams will surprise us. Maybe The Papers isn't typical affair. Who can say?

 

i'm really hoping Williams is BEGGED back on Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. 

post #17 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post
 

Maybe Williams will surprise us. Maybe The Papers isn't typical affair. Who can say?

 

i'm really hoping Williams is BEGGED back on Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. 

I'm expecting THE PAPERS to sound like JFK, NIXON, and LINCOLN dropped into a blender.  Maybe the 1970s setting will inspire him to deliver something jazzier or funkier, but that will be dependent on the tone of the movie, which I'm expecting is going to be on the self-important, self-righteous side.  Maybe I'm wrong!

 

As for FALLEN KINGDOM, we're not that lucky!  I'd kill for one more JURASSIC PARK score from the maestro (and I say that as a big Giacchino defender).

post #18 of 260

I can give Giacchino a hummable theme in Jurassic World. But my god, there wasn't a single action cue I can even pinpoint, and those movies are supposed to exceed in that shit. 


Edited by Carnotaur3 - 7/7/17 at 8:49pm
post #19 of 260

a sequence from CLOM that would even allow a memorable action cue?

 

IMPOSSIBLE

post #20 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post
 

a sequence from CLOM that would even allow a memorable action cue?

 

IMPOSSIBLE


Get ready for Episode IX!

post #21 of 260
I'm ready!!!
post #22 of 260

This sounds potentially interesting:

 

"HBO will unveil the feature length documentary “Spielberg,” about legendary filmmaker Steven Spielberg, on October 7, the company announced Tuesday. Directed by “American Masters” creator Susan Lacy, the doc examines Spielberg’s filmography in depth and draws upon nearly 30 hours of exclusive interviews with the director, who opens up about his childhood and “lifelong obsession with moviemaking.”"

 

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/spielberg-documentary-hbo-career-behind-the-scenes-footage-1201853944/

post #23 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post
 

This sounds potentially interesting:

 

"HBO will unveil the feature length documentary “Spielberg,” about legendary filmmaker Steven Spielberg, on October 7, the company announced Tuesday. Directed by “American Masters” creator Susan Lacy, the doc examines Spielberg’s filmography in depth and draws upon nearly 30 hours of exclusive interviews with the director, who opens up about his childhood and “lifelong obsession with moviemaking.”"

 

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/spielberg-documentary-hbo-career-behind-the-scenes-footage-1201853944/


Unless they got him to talk about projects he rarely ever discusses (POLTERGEIST, TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE, ALWAYS, HOOK, AMISTAD, etc.), I can't imagine getting anything new out of this.  There have already been several feature length documentaries about him (with his participation) that walk through his (selected) filmography.

 

But the man's my favorite director, so of course I'll be watching.

post #24 of 260

I'd watch the shit out of that.

 

The best Spielberg interview is still the one he did with James Lipton, though. 

post #25 of 260

His quite frank extended interview/documentary with Mark Kermode is also excellent.

post #26 of 260

I missed this from July - first photo of Meryl in costume as Graham: 
 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/papers-movie-meryl-streep-as-katharine-graham-photo-1024171

post #27 of 260

May want to change the thread title, because the film has been retitled.

 

Quote:
Fox and Amblin Entertainment have re-named their Pentagon Papers movie “The Post,” directed by Steven Spielberg with Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep starring.

 

I assume it's because the story is more about the people at the Post than the Pentagon Papers, but I also wonder if this is a subtle nod of support to the current Post staff.

post #28 of 260

"The Post" was the original title of the script when it was on the blacklist. I have a draft around here.

post #29 of 260

I'm going to pretend this is now a prequel to Kevin Costner's masterpiece The Postman


Edited by MrSaxon - 8/27/17 at 8:41am
post #30 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post
I also wonder if this is a subtle nod of support to the current Post staff.

I don't think there's going to be anything subtle about the ways the movie will try to reference/comment on the current environment.  But maybe I'm wrong.

post #31 of 260

This film is now officially called The Posthttp://deadline.com/2017/08/steven-spielberg-pentagon-papers-the-post-maze-runner-death-cure-fox-1202156705/ 

 

Quite utilitarian, a bit like Munich and Lincoln in that regard.

 

If the film is even half as good as those, I'll be beaming. 

 

EDIT: Umm, this is embarrassing. Somehow I missed the above posts detailing the change in title. I have no idea how. I think I need to get some sleep. Apologies to everybody.


Edited by NoirHeaven - 8/29/17 at 3:38am
post #32 of 260

Update on that Spielberg documentary that we discussed a bit earlier in this thread...

 

http://deadline.com/2017/07/steven-spielberg-hbo-documentary-susan-lacy-kate-capshaw-tca-1202136649/

 

The article is a month old, but I find what the doc's director has to say to be pretty disappointing, but pretty much exactly what I was expecting.  She confirms that her cut focuses pretty exclusively on JAWS, RAIDERS, E.T., THE COLOR PURPLE, JURASSIC PARK, SCHINDLER'S LIST, and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN; with a 2-and-a-half hour running time, I wish she had decided to focus on movies that we haven't heard all the familiar stories about.  That's all ground that has been well-covered before.

 

You've got 150 minutes.  Let's hear about some of Spielberg's B-sides.

post #33 of 260

Surely one of the advantages of coming out with a documentary about Spielberg, his life and his films, in the autumn of 2017 would be that one could cover, at the very least, the highs of his filmography all the way through his incredible and prolific A.I.-Minority Report-Catch Me If You Can-The Terminal-War of the Worlds-Munich run in the first half of the 2000s, as well as, at the very least, War Horse, Lincoln and Bridge of Spies

 

That "Spielberg On Spielberg" from a decade ago even covered up to and through Munich.

 

But yeah I'd love to hear about Always and Hook and others that don't get much play in these things. 

post #34 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirHeaven View Post
 

Surely one of the advantages of coming out with a documentary about Spielberg, his life and his films, in the autumn of 2017 would be that one could cover, at the very least, the highs of his filmography all the way through his incredible and prolific A.I.-Minority Report-Catch Me If You Can-The Terminal-War of the Worlds-Munich run in the first half of the 2000s, as well as, at the very least, War Horse, Lincoln and Bridge of Spies

 

That "Spielberg On Spielberg" from a decade ago even covered up to and through Munich.

 

But yeah I'd love to hear about Always and Hook and others that don't get much play in these things. 


If I were putting together a documentary about Spielberg, I wouldn't put together one... I'd put together two.  One focusing on 1974 to 1993, and one focusing on 1997 to the present.

 

I just think that with the blessing of 150 minutes that HBO has given this director, we should be getting a lot more depth about his filmography than just the oft-told stories about his most noteworthy entries.  And I guess maybe we still might; maybe the report about the documentary's contents is somewhat inaccurate. 

post #35 of 260

That's a great idea, especially with the timing of now, since right at this moment Spielberg's filmography is kind of easily broken into two huge volumes, essentially building up to Schindler's List and then everything since Schindler's List. Especially now with the information from that one look at Spielberg when The BFG was set to come out where he's finally admitting that he wasn't sure he would ever return to directing for a little while after Schindler's List, as though making that film took something out of him forever.

post #36 of 260
If anything, she scored quite a few names of people!

J.J. Abrams, Christian Bale, Drew Barrymore, Cate Blanchett, Francis Ford Coppola, Daniel Craig, Daniel Day-Lewis, Brian de Palma, Laura Dern, Leonardo DiCaprio, Richard Dreyfuss, Ralph Fiennes, Harrison Ford, David Geffen, Tom Hanks, Dustin Hoffman, Holly Hunter, Jeffrey Katzenberg, Ben Kingsley, Kathleen Kennedy, George Lucas, Liam Neeson, Martin Scorsese, Oprah Winfrey and Robert Zemeckis.
post #37 of 260

I prefer to hear the stories he doesn't want people to know about.  Like sleeping with a prostitute when making Jaws as stress relief.  And being ushered off the set of Twilight Zone when that helicopter fell on his lead actors.  

post #38 of 260
I thought it was confirmed (and with investigation) Spielberg was not on set during the filming.

As for the prostitute, who knows and who cares.
post #39 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

I thought it was confirmed (and with investigation) Spielberg was not on set during the filming.

 

Depends on who you ask.

post #40 of 260

I've heard that rumor before, but have never seen anything that would even remotely come close to confirming it.

 

It usually comes from the people with axes to grind against Spielberg, or who just plain don't like him very much.

 

The JAWS prostitute story is a new one to me, though.  Given the hell that production was, that's a pretty mild way to cope for a few evenings.

post #41 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post
 

I've heard that rumor before, but have never seen anything that would even remotely come close to confirming it.

 

It's really not unusual for producers to be on the set of a movie they're actually producing, especially during complicated stunts..  But I'll leave it at that.

 

Back to the praise.

post #42 of 260

I read that Spielberg was not on set that day, but it's not like he was necessarily blameless for the two child actors who were hired illegally. The producers of that film definitely overlooked some obvious wrongdoing, although based on the investigation of the actual accident, no criminal culpability could be found against anyone and that seems legitimate.

post #43 of 260

He did completely kick the can down the road and away from blame during the trial, though. 

post #44 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post
 

He did completely kick the can down the road and away from blame during the trial, though. 

I see what you did there. :)

post #45 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

 

The JAWS prostitute story is a new one to me, though.  Given the hell that production was, that's a pretty mild way to cope for a few evenings.

 

That story's in Easy Riders, Raging Bulls if I remember. Though I think it just referred to it as having a 'friend' flown over for recreational sex. As you do.

 

Here's another one: apparently horses died in the production of War Horse but the film was given the No Animals Were Harmed tag anyway so as not to tarnish Spielberg's squeaky clean rep.

 

Rumours of the animal rights investigators finding those horses' heads in their beds as a warning are as yet unconfirmed.

post #46 of 260

I've got no axe to grind with the beard, he's probably my favorite director and is far less nefarious than other Hollywood scumbags.  I'm just fascinated by the lengths he goes to create this (mostly fabricated) mystique about himself and the lengths people go to deny anything to the contrary.  No dog in this fight.  

post #47 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
 

I've got no axe to grind with the beard, he's probably my favorite director and is far less nefarious than other Hollywood scumbags.  I'm just fascinated by the lengths he goes to create this (mostly fabricated) mystique about himself and the lengths people go to deny anything to the contrary.  No dog in this fight.  

 

It reminds me a lot of Norman Rockwell, honestly. Rockwell was a guy who was pretty shy, but also pretty conscious of his image - and it came out 50 years after his death when biographers got access to his archives and his papers that he was a miserable, chronically depressed man, distant from his kids and quite possibly a repressed gay man. I wonder what we'll find out about Spielberg in 60 years. 

post #48 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post

 

That story's in Easy Riders, Raging Bulls if I remember. Though I think it just referred to it as having a 'friend' flown over for recreational sex. As you do.

 

"Hey friend, would you mind flying out to Martha's Vineyard real quick to fuck Steven Spielberg?"

 

"Would I?!"

post #49 of 260
Single young guy in his late 20s directing his first big budget film for a big studio who are threatening to fire him for going over budget and over schedule while its lead mechanical shark keeps sinking to the bottom of the sea?

Get me some whores! Stat!
post #50 of 260

It should've been:

 

"Hey friend, would you mind flying out to Martha's Vineyard real quick to fuck Steven Spielberg?"

 

"Who?"

 

"Steven Spielberg... you know, the guy who directed, er.... well, The Sugarland Express."

 

" ..... "

 

"We'll pay you."

 

"Okay."
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › Spielberg's THE POST pre-release