CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › DETROIT Pre-Release
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DETROIT Pre-Release

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 

 

John Boyega starring in Kathryn Bigelow's next film? Here for it. The Algiers Motel killings make for a hell of a timely subject for the film too.

post #2 of 23

oooh that looks promising!

post #3 of 23

Loved THE HURT LOCKER and ZERO DARK 30, and this looks to be just as intense.  Yeah, I'm in.

post #4 of 23

Really happy to see Boyega continually being given the opportunity to push himself. I truly think he's capable of great things and I look forward to seeing how his career develops. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if he was at least an Oscar nominee in the next five years.

post #5 of 23

Looks good but it would be nice to see "From The Director of Blue Steel and Near Dark" in a Kathryn Bigelow trailer.

post #6 of 23

I'm in. 

post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J View Post
 

Looks good but it would be nice to see "From The Director of Blue Steel and Near Dark" in a Kathryn Bigelow trailer.


I miss that director.

post #8 of 23

So does Eric Red.

 

Bigelow has something of a symbiotic relationship with her screenwriters. It's probably why she's been in relationships with most of them. 



That's not a criticism by the way. It's just something I've noticed and find interesting. I doubt it's a conscious thing, but her long-standing writing partners tend to become lovers and one could argue that it makes for more interesting, cohesive, and personal art.
post #9 of 23

Damn that looks great. 

post #10 of 23

I'll definitely be seeing this. Bigelow is one of my favorite directors.

 

When the movie was announced I read up on the riots, what happened was insane.

post #11 of 23
Looks great. Good to finally see another bigelow movie. I had no idea they had even started filming. I thought it would be cancelled like TRIPLE FRONTIER.
post #12 of 23

I've got to say that Will Poulter has come a long way since Son Of Ranbow. It's been interesting watching him progress from "kid actor in a family film"" (Chronicles Of Narnia) to "funny teen in a mainstream comedy" (We're The Millers) to "supporting teen character in a YA franchise" (The Maze Runner) and now he's in the dramatic adult phase (The Revenant and now this).

post #13 of 23

He truly is an inspiration to people with weirdly shaped eyebrows everywhere. 

post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I've got to say that Will Poulter has come a long way since Son Of Ranbow. It's been interesting watching him progress from "kid actor in a family film"" (Chronicles Of Narnia) to "funny teen in a mainstream comedy" (We're The Millers) to "supporting teen character in a YA franchise" (The Maze Runner) and now he's in the dramatic adult phase (The Revenant and now this).

Hell, he was almost Pennywise.
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry D View Post

Hell, he was almost Pennywise.

 

He must have a pretty good agent!

post #16 of 23
post #17 of 23
Thread Starter 

Boyega looks great. Would be cool if he ends up being up for Oscar consideration.

post #18 of 23

 I just got back from this. Since this is pre-release, I'm just going to say its a great but unsettling film. You will leave the theater sad and pissed off. 

post #19 of 23

I saw it this afternoon. I've sung Kathryn Bigelow's gospel since before she became a prestige darling. She's an idiosyncratic talent incapable of a bad film.

 

Detroit is not bad. It's not a misfire. The film is exquisitely directed, with a sharp eye for historical realism and superb performances, notably John Boyega, who acquits himself beyond genre films, and Will Poulter as one of the most contemptible antagonists in recent memory, a sadistic police officer who could very well pull what he does in 2017, not just 1967. It's a sobering dichotomy of racial politics in an especially sensitive point in history.

 

The problem is that not only is it too intense, it is utterly devoid of catharsis. Not every story needs a happy ending, but the ones that skew cynical need a sense of closure and acceptance. I think the only other film in the past 15-20 years that left me aimless in the way this did was Alexandre Aja's similarly well-crafted but excessive Hills Have Eyes remake. Same goes for Iñarritu's last two films, but I disliked them.

 

In that regard, it is absolutely punishing and a mood killer.

post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post
 

I saw it this afternoon. I've sung Kathryn Bigelow's gospel since before she became a prestige darling. She's an idiosyncratic talent incapable of a bad film.

 

Detroit is not bad. It's not a misfire. The film is exquisitely directed, with a sharp eye for historical realism and superb performances, notably John Boyega, who acquits himself beyond genre films, and Will Poulter as one of the most contemptible antagonists in recent memory, a sadistic police officer who could very well pull what he does in 2017, not just 1967. It's a sobering dichotomy of racial politics in an especially sensitive point in history.

 

The problem is that not only is it too intense, it is utterly devoid of catharsis. Not every story needs a happy ending, but the ones that skew cynical need a sense of closure and acceptance. I think the only other film in the past 15-20 years that left me aimless in the way this did was Alexandre Aja's similarly well-crafted but excessive Hills Have Eyes remake. Same goes for Iñarritu's last two films, but I disliked them.

 

In that regard, it is absolutely punishing and a mood killer.


Course the witty response would be: sure when we get one in real life.

post #21 of 23
post #22 of 23

God damn this was a hard watch. It mostly plays out like a horror movie.

 

It seems necessary, though. There was nothing palatable or entertaining about these events. It should leave you feeling like shit. The movie succeeded 100% at doing what it needed to do.

post #23 of 23

I finished it last night.  Feeling like shit is an understatement.  Will Poulter must've had a hard time portraying a very human evil, and I don't think he'll get his just (Academy Award) desserts for this.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › DETROIT Pre-Release