CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › ALADDIN (Live Action) - A Guy Ritchie Joint - Pre Release Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ALADDIN (Live Action) - A Guy Ritchie Joint - Pre Release Thread - Page 2

post #51 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

I'd rather volunteer at the Republican National Convention than see this or the Lion King remake.

Lot of closeted young Republicans at those conventions so I honestly wouldn't mind going to one. I can pack light with a copy of Atlas Shrugged, some crystal and poppers and I'd be set.
post #52 of 117

I'd watch that!

post #53 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

oh god, if Disney were to actually go with making Aladdin a Chinese character to be 'authentic', I can already imagine the confused social media outrage of all these different factions sniping at each other for the scrap of representation opportunity by a major corporation

- those that are pissed because Disney is blatantly chasing the Chinese market
- those that are pissed because vague Asian representation overshadowed a vague Middle Eastern representation
- those that are pissed because this isn't the Disney Aladdin they grew up with
- those that are pissed because others are pissed
- and MORE

it would kinda be like a Dolezal of a casting controversy in terms of people not quite sure where to stand

Waaaaaaaaaaaalt would eat it up!
It would be a bloodbath worthy of Klingon opera.
post #54 of 117

I thought for sure I heard that Rami Malek was cast as Aladdin. Guess that was just a fancast or something. 

As for the remake itself...



Cause I'm not gonna watch it. 

post #55 of 117

They've already said they're doing an open casting call, across the board, for Middle Eastern actors to play the leads. Some of the casting sites have posted information about it.

 

Anyway, would take Malek or Oscar Isaac as Jafar. 

post #56 of 117
So, another magical negro role for Smith. Disappointing.
post #57 of 117

I honestly thought they should have gone in a completely different direction for Genie - pick someone who has the boundless energy of Williams but conveys it in a different way (i.e., other than impressions). Particularly since the role's going to be mocapped anyway, and you have a lot of freedom in that regard.

 

Which is why I was advocating for Melissa McCarthy.

post #58 of 117
The Genie's not black. He's blue.
post #59 of 117
/Tobias Funke gif
post #60 of 117
I think the magical negro trope is more specifically criticized when the character is serving the interests of the usual white lead character.

But yeah, the trope is still the trope.

I joked elsewhere that the movie should deconstruct the original film'a plot and have the Genie engineer his own pathway to freedom instead of relying on Aladdin... essentially playing all the sides to get what he wants... becoming the stealth lead hero of the movie.
post #61 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I joked elsewhere that the movie should deconstruct the original film'a plot and have the Genie engineer his own pathway to freedom instead of relying on Aladdin... essentially playing all the sides to get what he wants... becoming the stealth lead hero of the movie.

 

My joke has been they should just do a Jafar prequel where he begins the movie as this radical committed to bringing democracy or equality to Agrabah, and over the course of the movie, as he pursues power as means to an end, he becomes corrupted by that power. Like House of Cards but with a talking parrot.

post #62 of 117
"Welcome to Agrabah..."

(time lapse opening credits)
post #63 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

"Welcome to Agrabah..."

(time lapse opening credits)

 

SO MUCH TALKING TO THE CAMERA. 

post #64 of 117
Thread Starter 

 

I believe in Agrabah.

Agrabah has made my fortune.  And I raised Iago in the Agrabah fashion.

post #65 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post
 

 

SO MUCH TALKING TO THE CAMERA. 

that would be fun

 

have both Jafar and the Genie break the 4th wall in their own way...

 

and finally come to the climactic finale where they both realize that they have the ability to break the proscenium and thus BREAK THE MOVIE in a glorious GREMLINS 2/Last Action Hero free-for-all

 

because audiences LOOOOVE to be messed with, right???

 

 

genie-made-you-look-o.gif 

post #66 of 117

tumblr_nk4xatZWi81rozmfyo7_r3_500.gif

Jafar, you are probably going to be a very successful advisor to the king. But you're going to go through life thinking that girls don't like you because you're a street rat. And I want you to know, from the bottom of my heart, that that won't be true. It'll be because you're a wizard.

post #67 of 117

wrong mara!!!

 

tumblr_mz2ljlihY71qli8ufo1_500.gif 

post #68 of 117

mara jade? 

post #69 of 117
Thread Starter 

Mar-a-lago?

post #70 of 117

Mara Iago?

 

Iago-Not-The-Best-At-Villainy-Aladdin-.gif

post #71 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

My joke has been they should just do a Jafar prequel where he begins the movie as this radical committed to bringing democracy or equality to Agrabah, and over the course of the movie, as he pursues power as means to an end, he becomes corrupted by that power. Like House of Cards but with a talking parrot.
Oh man, Jafar's another fun potential minefield, if some mischievous little scamp writes a Twitter rant or Cracked article about how the movie villainizes the actual historical guy the character is at several degrees of fictional remove from.
post #72 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post


Oh man, Jafar's another fun potential minefield, if some mischievous little scamp writes a Twitter rant or Cracked article about how the movie villainizes the actual historical guy the character is at several degrees of fictional remove from.

 

Also the coded gay stuff and the "make him deliberately darker" stuff!

post #73 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

The Genie's not black. He's blue.

post #74 of 117

I totally thought this was a parody thread when I clicked on it

post #75 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I think the magical negro trope is more specifically criticized when the character is serving the interests of the usual white lead character.

But yeah, the trope is still the trope.

I joked elsewhere that the movie should deconstruct the original film'a plot and have the Genie engineer his own pathway to freedom instead of relying on Aladdin... essentially playing all the sides to get what he wants... becoming the stealth lead hero of the movie.


That would be awesome, and the genie should be played by this man.


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #76 of 117

Any chance this will have a complete Arab-American cast? That would be amaz-HAHAHAHA

 

This is going to be a trainwreck.

post #77 of 117

That's essentially what their live-action MULAN is going to do with a Chinese/Chinese-American cast.  I think?  Not sure if they're gonna open it to Asian actors in general.

 

 

Aside from Genie, I can see them attempting to do something that with the rest of ALADDIN's cast.

post #78 of 117
To be fair, would even a straight up Klan-lovin Nazi would probably have no problem with an Arabian cast for Aladdin. Or would they? I'd love to hear someone complain about it.
post #79 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post

To be fair, would even a straight up Klan-lovin Nazi would probably have no problem with an Arabian cast for Aladdin. Or would they?

I'd think a Klan-lovin Nazi would simply have a problem with an Arabian cast not portraying terrorists or something.  Nothing specific to Aladdin.

post #80 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post

To be fair, would even a straight up Klan-lovin Nazi would probably have no problem with an Arabian cast for Aladdin. Or would they? I'd love to hear someone complain about it.

 

 

Disney trying to brainwash our precious children with hidden Islamic propaghanda! Terrible!

post #81 of 117
I'm just saying I would expect the racism to take more the form of exoticism and jokes about barbarism, like in the original film.
post #82 of 117

Guys, they've straight up said they're going to cast Middle Eastern actors. The casting calls have been all over the casting sites for a while. 

post #83 of 117
Which means we should prepare for a barrage of "thinkpieces" with much hand-folding and very thoughtful hmm-ing as they dissect each individual casting choice in terms of how white they do or don't look for a Middle Easterner!
Edited by commodorejohn - 5/1/17 at 9:57am
post #84 of 117
The new Pink Ranger is Jasmine, and Will Smith is playing Genie.

I'm out.
post #85 of 117

Is it too late to get Tom Cruise in as Jaffar?

 

At this point, the most creatively astute move they could do with these remakes is just trace fancy CGI on top of the 2D originals.

 

I like Will Smith, but the downgrade from Robin Williams to Smith is like something Roger Corman would do just to hold on to the remake rights.

post #86 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

The new Pink Ranger is Jasmine, and Will Smith is playing Genie.

I'm out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

Is it too late to get Tom Cruise in as Jaffar?

At this point, the most creatively astute move they could do with these remakes is just trace fancy CGI on top of the 2D originals.

I like Will Smith, but the downgrade from Robin Williams to Smith is like something Roger Corman would do just to hold on to the remake rights.

The biggest headscratcher about this entire endeavor is why they aren't just using Williams' voice recordings for the Genie. They could even use some of his thousand alternate takes/cutting room floor material if they want to change it up a little. The character's going to be entirely CGI anyway, and given his passing it'd be a heck of a draw. They could dedicate the movie to him and win a ton of good will as well. There's literally no reason NOT to, and Smith is going to cost them a fortune and have an impossible task - NO ONE can do that role and not be unfavorably compared to Williams. No one.
post #87 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post



The biggest headscratcher about this entire endeavor is why they aren't just using Williams' voice recordings for the Genie. They could even use some of his thousand alternate takes/cutting room floor material if they want to change it up a little. The character's going to be entirely CGI anyway, and given his passing it'd be a heck of a draw. They could dedicate the movie to him and win a ton of good will as well. There's literally no reason NOT to, and Smith is going to cost them a fortune and have an impossible task - NO ONE can do that role and not be unfavorably compared to Williams. No one.

Supposedly Williams' contract on ALADDIN explicitly forbade Disney from ever using those outtakes.  Ever.  In perpetuity.

post #88 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post
 

Supposedly Williams' contract on ALADDIN explicitly forbade Disney from ever using those outtakes.  Ever.  In perpetuity.

SMART MAN!

 

THERE WILL BE NO NECROMANCY

post #89 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

Supposedly Williams' contract on ALADDIN explicitly forbade Disney from ever using those outtakes.  Ever.  In perpetuity.

Well that'd explain it.

Though I maintain even if they just used the exact lines from the animated film verbatim, it'd be a vast improvement over trying to recast such an iconic performance.

But I guess the mouse gotta eat. Not like Star Wars or Marvel's gonna pay the bills.
post #90 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post


Well that'd explain it.

Though I maintain even if they just used the exact lines from the animated film verbatim, it'd be a vast improvement over trying to recast such an iconic performance.

But I guess the mouse gotta eat. Not like Star Wars or Marvel's gonna pay the bills.

I can see why the impulse might be there, but at the same time you're then locking everything else into place to accommodate a performance that's already "in the can," so to speak.  The other actors wouldn't have much room to work.

 

But I certainly don't disagree that Smith - who may well turn in a fun performance - is an inevitable downgrade from peak-form Robin Williams.

post #91 of 117
'90s Will Smith back when he wasn't convinced he was a Serious Actor and trying to establish an entertainment-industry dynasty might've turned in a fun performance. These days, I'd be surprised if his contract doesn't stipulate that Jayden gets cast as Iago.
post #92 of 117

You know who I honestly think would have been a good Genie? RDJ. 

post #93 of 117

I maintain the smart play would have been to have gone a different direction entirely for Genie, which is, perhaps, what they're doing with Smith - perhaps Smith in the full-on charm-offensive/Hitch/Focus mode. But RDJ would have been great, as would have been my pick: Melissa McCarthy. 

post #94 of 117
This is another film that sadly fails the Johnson test:

1) Would the film be vastly improved by Dwayne Johnson's presence?
2) Is Dwayne Johnson in it?

Though 99% of films made after Dwayne Johnson's birth year fail the test.
post #95 of 117
But he just played the genie in Moana so it's too soon.
post #96 of 117

Which is why they should mix it up.

 

Rock as Jafar. 

post #97 of 117
We all know Hugh Jackman will end up playing Jafar.
post #98 of 117

I'm not sure if this was discussed here, but there's actually a really interesting route you can go with a white Jafar - make him be the representative or advisor from an Anglo nation, who's really gotten into the Orientalism, the fetishization, and the appropriation of the culture. 

post #99 of 117

They won't do that though. They're going to slap some makeup on Tom Hardy or whoever.

post #100 of 117
Jason Statham as Jafar.

Guy Ritchie is directing, after all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › ALADDIN (Live Action) - A Guy Ritchie Joint - Pre Release Thread