CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › LAST FLAG FLYING Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LAST FLAG FLYING Discussion

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Linklater wants an Oscar: 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/richard-linklaters-last-flag-flying-open-new-york-film-festival-1012535 

 

What this piece doesn't tell you - it's a sequel to THE LAST DETAIL with Cranston, Fishburne, and Carell taking on the Nicholson, Young, and Quaid parts. 

post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post
 

Linklater wants an Oscar: 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/richard-linklaters-last-flag-flying-open-new-york-film-festival-1012535 

 

What this piece doesn't tell you - it's a sequel to THE LAST DETAIL with Cranston, Fishburne, and Carell taking on the Nicholson, Young, and Quaid parts. 


I thought it started as that, but the names of the characters on IMDB are different from the names in The Last Detail.

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post
 


I thought it started as that, but the names of the characters on IMDB are different from the names in The Last Detail.

 

Wikipedia has the names as the same from the Last Detail. It's cowritten by the guy who wrote the book Last Detail, and based on the sequel he wrote to LD. I'm not sure if there's some weird IP mumbo jumbo they had to leap through, but maybe "spiritual sequel?" 

post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post
 

 

Wikipedia has the names as the same from the Last Detail. It's cowritten by the guy who wrote the book Last Detail, and based on the sequel he wrote to LD. I'm not sure if there's some weird IP mumbo jumbo they had to leap through, but maybe "spiritual sequel?" 


Gotcha.

 

Direct sequel, spiritual sequel, or otherwise, this is still one of the films I'm most looking forward to this fall.

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 

 

Here for it. Carell in this looks so much like my dad it's eerie. 

post #6 of 12

"Sequel to the Last Detail" as a  synopsis made me want to barf. That trailer won me over. And my God Cranston can channel Nicholson's character + Nicholson. 

post #7 of 12

All three of Cranston/Carell/Fishburne look like they're killing it.

post #8 of 12
This looks fantastic. Potential to be one of Linklater's best films. Just ordered that UK Blu-ray of The Last Detail too.

Cranston's Jack Nicholson game is off the charts. Not that I ever doubted he'd pull it off, but I didn't expect him to be that deep into it. Bravo.
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 

Poster: 

post #10 of 12
the poster does the impossible and makes Fischburne look WHITE
post #11 of 12

that trailer did absolutely nothing for me.

 

am I soulless?

post #12 of 12
So...did anyone actually see this? I just got back from it, and I can’t say I’m shocked it fell out of the Oscar race. It has some moments that work really well, but feels sort of clunky overall. I also don’t think it captures the time period very well, which feels odd for a filmmaker like Linklater who usually nails those details. There is some thudding commentary on Bush that, while I was in agreement with politically, feels like it comes more out of 2017 than 2003. Not a bad film, but probably Linklater’s weakest since Me and Orson Welles.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › LAST FLAG FLYING Discussion