CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › Star Wars IX: Untitled (2019)(J.J. Abrams) Pre-Release discussion brought to you by Overlord
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Star Wars IX: Untitled (2019)(J.J. Abrams) Pre-Release discussion brought to you by Overlord - Page 2

post #51 of 460
I'd be fine with self-contained non-trilogy adventures for those characters why not?
post #52 of 460
Honestly, I don't care what they do or how many of these things that they keep making as long as I keep enjoying them..
post #53 of 460

The tyranny of trilogies. The sequel trilogy wasn't mapped out in advance. It's a chain story. That's fine, but then why stick to the trilogy format? In this new cinematic universe paradigm, it makes sense to give the characters and story room to breathe.

post #54 of 460
Makes the box sets easier to put together?
post #55 of 460

I wouldn't mind if they did away with the episode numbering altogether and further blurred the lines between saga and standalone.


Edited by Barry Woodward - 9/15/17 at 1:01pm
post #56 of 460
A solo Finn or Rey adventure would be preferrable to the story of when the Death Star was a pimply teenager getting picked on in high school.
post #57 of 460

It would be weird to follow-up EPISODE IX with the further adventures of Rey, Finn, Poe and Rose and not have it be EPISODE X, and yet that's a more exciting prospect for me than getting them in another trilogy.


Edited by Barry Woodward - 9/15/17 at 2:41pm
post #58 of 460
Sooner or later....if they're wanting to keep this up indefinitely....which I'm sure they do, they're gonna have to leave the Skywalkers behind. Everything in this made up universe shouldn't keep revolving around these same people. Let it die with Luke and Leia (not like THAT) and Kylo. This isn't a necessity for me to keep watching and enjoying these things though. Once we see Luke back in action again there aren't gonna be too many things left to mine nostalgia from. And as someone who is absolutely ok with having their nostalgic feelings exploited....I would like it if there's a point where Star Wars moves past all that..
post #59 of 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

which I'm sure they do, they're gonna have to leave the Skywalkers behind. 

 

Terry Brooks never left his main family behind in the Shannara books. No reason for Disney to do so when people seem quite ready to keep eating the same reheated meal over and over again.

post #60 of 460

For those that say Abrams is better at setting things up than finishing them, maybe this time that can work to his advantage. We don't know much about Snoke, but we do know this, he's a vampire, feeding off the galaxy's youth. The First Order has filled their ranks by kidnapping and brainwashing children. He corrupted Ben Solo and it makes sense if he's after additional Force sensitive kids. The end game for EPISODE IX should be about more than just toppling the First Order, it should be about the legacy of the Jedi. Maybe the best ending for this sequel trilogy is a new beginning. Introduce a new cast of young actors that can carry a Harry Potter-esque Jedi Academy series of films. Have Luke and Rey fight to rescue them from the clutches of Snoke and end the film with Rey training them on Ahch-To.


Edited by Barry Woodward - 9/15/17 at 4:09pm
post #61 of 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Woodward View Post

Introduce a new cast of young actors that can carry a Harry Potter-esque Jedi Academy series of films.

I like it. Keep 'em comin' Baz.
post #62 of 460

If Jyn Erso, Cassian Andor, Chirrut Îmwe, Baze Malbus and K-2SO didn't perish in ROGUE ONE, I would have wanted new adventures with them. These standalone films can act as pilots that can spin off into their own film series.

post #63 of 460
With you 100% on that one. Make mine MarveLucasfilm.
post #64 of 460

In much the same way, EPISODE IX can act as a backdoor pilot for a Jedi Academy film series.

post #65 of 460

These cinematic universes are essentially TV done on a much larger scale. That's why I think former showrunners like J.J. Abrams, Matt Reeves and Joss Whedon are such good fits for these productions.


Edited by Barry Woodward - 9/15/17 at 7:52pm
post #66 of 460
post #67 of 460

Poor Gianopulos. 

post #68 of 460

J.J. Abrams was interviewed during Michael Giacchino's 50th birthday celebration / career retrospective:

 

BBC Radio: Both of these series that you're involved with – STAR TREK and STAR WARS – they change people's lives, don't they? Little boys, little girls end up saying "That's what I want to do. That's where I wanna be.

 

J.J. Abrams: Well, it's certainly something that I'm aware of now working on EPISODE IX – coming back into this world after having done EPISODE VII. I feel like we need to approach this with the same excitement that we had when we were kids, loving what these movies were. And at the same time, we have to take them places that they haven't gone, and that's sort of our responsibility. It’s a strange thing – Michael's worked on things like PLANET OF THE APES and STAR TREK and STAR WARS, and these are the things of dreams. Yet we can't just revel in that; we have to go elsewhere.

post #69 of 460
Is JJ trying to grow up or something?
post #70 of 460

J.J. Abrams gave a talk at the Oxford Union and a fan got to meet him and Chris Terrio afterwards and pick their brains.

 

"In the official talk JJ gave before I met him, he said it was exciting that Rian Johnson's perspective on Star Wars has given him ideas that he never would have had before, and he said that his idea for the ending of the trilogy has grown a lot compared to how he thought it would end when he was writing TFA. After speaking to him personally, I really feel like 9 is going to be different from TFA in so many way.

 

They said that they're going to be brave and there will be big surprises. I got the impression that JJ felt like he had to refresh previous Star Wars moments for a modern audience in TFA, and now it feels like they have free reign to do what they want. Apparently they've had no interference from Kathleen or Pablo or the Lucasfilm Story Group. 9 is also the film which unites all three trilogies and brings everything together. That's all they would tell me.

 

I was surprised at how much freedom they have over shaping the canon. Apparently Pablo Hidalgo has given lots of information when asked to clarify details, but they get to decide what is canon for everything before and after Episode 9 (well, anything after RotJ onwards, as long as it doesn't contradict TLJ). Chris did say no one has changed anything so far, so maybe it's just that there haven't been any clashes with the previous canon in what they've written.

 

I worry a little bit that the questions I was asking were too leading. I was speaking to Chris and he was talking about the OT. I said about how I grew up with the PT and the prequels were my entry point into Star Wars. I asked about elements of the PT coming into 9 and Chris said about how 9 unites all of it. He said 9 definitely makes it feel like they're all happening in the same universe, and there would be PT elements in 9. They could be visual or thematic - he didn't overtly say that there would be returning planets or characters from the PT or anything."

 

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/77adp3/i_got_to_meet_jj_abrams_and_chris_terrio_tonight/

post #71 of 460
Lies.
post #72 of 460
Eh, I'm ready to be hurt again.

Star Trek and Star Wars have given me enough joy in my 33 years that I can roll with a few disappointments. If it sucks, well... I've seen some truly rotten Star Wars and Star Trek stories. I've also seen some great ones. Hopefully someday we'll get great ones again.
post #73 of 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post

Eh, I'm ready to be hurt again.

249621
post #74 of 460

J.J. Abrams couldn't resist returning for Episode IX, out in 2019.

 

"I had no intention to return, but when the opportunity presented itself to finish a story that we had begun with these new characters, to tell the last chapter of their story, it felt like there was a chance to do it in a way where we could go beyond, and do better than we did in Seven. I learned so much in that movie and I saw that this was a chance to sort of realize something that we hadn't quite achieved – and part of that was it was simply the beginning of these new characters and their story. The opportunity to sort of take what we had learned, to take the feeling of who these characters are and what they are and give them a final chapter that felt in the spirit of what we begun? It was too delicious of an opportunity to pass up."

 

Ridley cried when she heard Abrams was coming back.

 

"Everyone was saying it was going to be Rian and everything, so I was genuinely quite surprised, and was like 'Oh my God!' and I started crying immediately with three people in the office. And they were like, 'What the fuck just happened?' So I emailed J.J. saying, 'Oh my God I am crying.' And he goes, 'Oh my God, me too.' And then we had a conversation a few days later and we stay in touch. But we stayed in touch the whole time anyway."

 

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/star-wars-the-last-jedi-14-things-we-learned-w513392

post #75 of 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Woodward View Post

J.J. Abrams couldn't resist returning for Episode IX, out in 2019.

"I had no intention to return, but when the opportunity presented itself to finish a story that we had begun with these new characters, to tell the last chapter of their story, it felt like there was a chance to do it in a way where we could go beyond, and do better than we did in Seven. I learned so much in that movie and I saw that this was a chance to sort of realize something that we hadn't quite achieved – and part of that was it was simply the beginning of these new characters and their story. The opportunity to sort of take what we had learned, to take the feeling of who these characters are and what they are and give them a final chapter that felt in the spirit of what we begun? It was too delicious of an opportunity to pass up."

Ridley cried when she heard Abrams was coming back.

"Everyone was saying it was going to be Rian and everything, so I was genuinely quite surprised, and was like 'Oh my God!' and I started crying immediately with three people in the office. And they were like, 'What the fuck just happened?' So I emailed J.J. saying, 'Oh my God I am crying.' And he goes, 'Oh my God, me too.' And then we had a conversation a few days later and we stay in touch. But we stayed in touch the whole time anyway."

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/star-wars-the-last-jedi-14-things-we-learned-w513392

Poor Rian frown.gif
post #76 of 460

Was she crying because she was happy to work with JJ again or sad to lose Rian?  We'll see in eight days.

post #77 of 460

She was crying with joy that the specter of Colin Trevorrow had been banished forever.

post #78 of 460

I dunno. Going from Trevorrow to Johnson to Abrams is like dodging a bullet only to discover that the drink you're celebrating with has been laced with a slow-acting poison.  

post #79 of 460

The only way JJ can make good on his threat to "tie all three trilogies together" is to make it about the Skywalkers. So Anakin is coming back (ugh) or Luke has a major role in the second the third movies. (eh).

 

OR.....it's a mystery box and the the new trilogy is about the new characters dealing with the fallout of the first two trilogies (what I want).

post #80 of 460

If the third movie in this trilogy has ANY mystery box Freeman's gonna pop a fucking gasket folks.

post #81 of 460
The death of Freeman would be based on his use of announcing himself in the third person first. The mystery box would just be beating the dead horse.
post #82 of 460

Freeman does not care for your tone, dinosaur scum!!

post #83 of 460

Super spoilers for THE LAST JEDI, but the film has been released outside the U.S. and I want to discuss what comes next.   Don't click the spoiler tag if you haven't seen TLJ or don't want all of its surprises ruined.

 

Like, really.  Super spoilers.  Even in the discussion below the spoiler text.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Luke is dead.

 

Leia will presumably be dead.

 

Kylo Ren murdered Snoke, rejected his chance at redemption, and is now Supreme Leader of the First Order.

 

I don't think JJ was fibbing when he said he's writing the end of the Skywalker story - if Kylo dies, the last Skywalker is gone.  Are we looking at something like the original ending of RETURN OF THE JEDI, where the ghosts of Obi-Wan and Yoda joined Luke to fight the Emperor?  Yoda calls down a lightning strike to burn down the tree, so clearly ghosts still have power.  I could see a weird pseudo-AVENGERS moment where Luke, Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin all unite with Rey to defeat Kylo.  You'd essentially have all of the major characters from every episode uniting to end the Skywalker bloodline.

post #84 of 460

Ummm hold up.  And don't click this if you didn't open the above spoiler and don't want to know all of it/don't care/already know all about The Last Jedi spoilers.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Luke dies, but it's weird. He goes out in a manner that would lead one to think they're not only bringing him back as a "Force Ghost" (which I think is pretty much for sure a given) but perhaps resurrecting the idea that Obi-Wan and Yoda would return as literal more powerful than you could possibly imagine entities from old drafts of ROTJ, I mean why would they have the scene with "force ghost" Yoda setting that physical tree on fire and then introduce this new amazing Jedi power only to have him die from using it and to be actually gone from the story? I'm personally not convinced Luke is so dead.

​I think there's more to this story and we haven't seen the end of Luke's story yet. I think he's gonna be Gandalf'd so to speak. And shit who knows, Snoke might be back in some form too.


Plus since Carrie is gone they have to bring someone in to carry the banner for her, and I'm pretty sure Hamill is contractually obligated to return.  

​Either way, my point is Rian Johnson totally opened the door wide open for Star Wars to get weird again. I don't want to know how Luke did what he did the mystery is what would in my mind make that work, but if it also saaaaay means he can just come back whenever he wants and physically haunt Kylo Ren in his throne room and shit? Fuck ya. I want to see that. Or if it means we're getting some kind of retelling (along with some retooling of elements in that story i.e. no Evil Luke) of Dark Empire so to speak also game for that. I think it would be brilliant if the Resistance somehow get's their hands on some First Order hardware (wtf else are they gonna use at this point anyhow?) and uses it to splinter the First Order and get them fighting eachother and such, and fuck it why not go bug shit crazy and bring back Luke and Snoke and throw them into the middle of that story?
 


 


Edited by Itsnotatumor - 12/14/17 at 6:32am
post #85 of 460
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post
Are we looking at something like the original ending of RETURN OF THE JEDI, where the ghosts of Obi-Wan and Yoda joined Luke to fight the Emperor?  Yoda calls down a lightning strike to burn down the tree, so clearly ghosts still have power.  I could see a weird pseudo-AVENGERS moment where Luke, Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin all unite with Rey to defeat Kylo.  You'd essentially have all of the major characters from every episode uniting to end the Skywalker bloodline.

 

The Dark Shape's speculation is the slurry of small fan-fiction sites made flesh. 

post #86 of 460
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Yeah, I'm not convinced Luke is dead.

 

Fully expect some twist where he returns from the other side in human form.

post #87 of 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Yeah, I'm not convinced Luke is dead.

 

Fully expect some twist where he returns from the other side in human form.


 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
At the very least, the Yoda/lightning bit may set up him being able to remain an active participant in events despite being a ghost.
post #88 of 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I don't think JJ was fibbing when he said he's writing the end of the Skywalker story - if Kylo dies, the last Skywalker is gone.  Are we looking at something like the original ending of RETURN OF THE JEDI, where the ghosts of Obi-Wan and Yoda joined Luke to fight the Emperor?  Yoda calls down a lightning strike to burn down the tree, so clearly ghosts still have power.  I could see a weird pseudo-AVENGERS moment where Luke, Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin all unite with Rey to defeat Kylo.  You'd essentially have all of the major characters from every episode uniting to end the Skywalker bloodline.

That would be a complete subversion/rejection of the “Let the past die” thematic thrust of THE LAST JEDI, but I’d be okay with that.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Yeah, I'm not convinced Luke is dead.

 

Fully expect some twist where he returns from the other side in human form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlaser View Post
 


 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
At the very least, the Yoda/lightning bit may set up him being able to remain an active participant in events despite being a ghost.

I don't know if they'll go fully human form with him, but I do completely expect...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
... Luke to be a powerful Force Ghost.  There's no way what Yoda does was inserted by Johnson in a careless way.  It's an expansion of what we thought we knew about the abilities of the ghosts, and I would hope we'll see Luke run with that.
post #89 of 460

Said this in the Last Jedi Post-Release thread. But it's better suited for here for obvious reasons.

 

Curious how much of Luke's role in Episode IX will now increase/change with Fisher gone.

 

Put aside all the bullshit debates over Trevorrow (or CLOM! to translate for Nooj - love ya, buddy!), the fact is the problems truly surfaced after her sudden passing. The dude was hired right before Jurassic World exploded. A good three years before cameras would ever roll and plenty of time to hammer out the swan-song for this trilogy while still working hand-in-hand with Kennedy, Johnson and Abrams to make sure it all gelled.

 

I honestly think if she hadn't died last Christmas (even with The Book of Henry - whose negative reaction was stupidly overblown), he'd still be directing IX.

post #90 of 460

I think Luke's role basically has to increase.  Clearly the original intention was to lean on Carrie Fisher for IX, but they obviously can't do that.

post #91 of 460

Just the The Last Jedi tonight and I have no fucking idea how Abrams is going to follow this up. Is Johnson penning the script? 

 

Considering that...

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
TLJ basically takes a sledgehammer to almost everything from TFA, especially Abrams' goddamned mystery boxes.....

 

...I'm especially interested in seeing what the result is.

 

Super glad CLOM is off the job, though. In no way would I want him following Johnson's work.

post #92 of 460
Thread Starter 
The idea of Johnson doing anything else in the Star Wars universe is nauseating.

Don't worry. The 15 Resistance fighters left are all they need.
post #93 of 460
I would be fine with him going back to making arthouse films that are beloved by everyone but me.
post #94 of 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

Just the The Last Jedi tonight and I have no fucking idea how Abrams is going to follow this up. Is Johnson penning the script? 

Considering that...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
TLJ basically takes a sledgehammer to almost everything from TFA, especially Abrams' goddamned mystery boxes.....

...I'm especially interested in seeing what the result is.

Super glad CLOM is off the job, though. In no way would I want him following Johnson's work.

So I'm approximately 1724% positive that JJ will retcon Rey's parentage reveal from this film.

My guess is we see a final showdown between Rey and Kylo in the context of the Resistance having built back up to some reasonable numbers... and that's about it. Poe will probably die. Rey will survive. Finn will probably make it. JJ might kill Chewie to do something "shocking," but there's really nowhere to go with this story now.

It's crazy to think how small they've made things. We poke fun at the EU, but Dark Empire had Luke trying to pull a Snape with a resurrected Emperor and resurgent Emperial remnant. A 3-film arc about that, with maybe Ben Solo taking Luke's place due to the time jump, would have been a vastly more satisfying experience.

I'm honestly thrilled the ending is landing in JJs lap. If he can make it anything other than paint by numbers I'll be shocked beyond belief. Honestly, how do you create any narrative or emotional tension when your main characters have already faced off twice, there are no more mysteries to be revealed, and no real stakes left?
post #95 of 460
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post

Honestly, how do you create any narrative or emotional tension when your main characters have already faced off twice, there are no more mysteries to be revealed, and no real stakes left?

 

You don't.  Johnson not only had no respect for the movies that came before, he had no respect for the fact that others would have to pick up these pieces.

post #96 of 460
You know what, I got an idea. How about Luke is just a regular old force ghost and have a couple scenes and that's it. Not crazy.

​Movie takes place a few years down the road, Leia has died of natural causes, but you know who is still alive? You know who is the one character in this series that has lived through every trilogy and every war? Chewbacca. And he is no longer some side kick gimmick, he's leader of the resistance and his lines are all subtitled. Who knows, maybe he was once a Jedi and put himself in exile and that's how he knew Yoda.

 

Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post


So I'm approximately 1724% positive that JJ will retcon Rey's parentage reveal from this film.

I joked about that in another thread but it could be easily done. Luke could have had a drinking problem...


Edited by Itsnotatumor - 12/16/17 at 10:43pm
post #97 of 460
She's revealed by Abrams to be the maternal granddaughter of Ben Kenobi so force ghost Luke can say "That's a name I haven't heard in a very long time."
post #98 of 460
I'd love to see them do something similar to Lucas' original plans for ROTJ, with an all-out rebel assault on the Imperial/First Order home planet, which was called Had Abbadon before being scrapped in early pre-production and then years later turning into Coruscant. The fact that there's about 13 members of the resistance left with a single ship probably means they're not going in this direction….But a time jump of a few years, with Kylo ruling from Coruscant would open up a lot of fun opportunities.
post #99 of 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Macken View Post

I'd love to see them do something similar to Lucas' original plans for ROTJ, with an all-out rebel assault on the Imperial/First Order home planet, which was called Had Abbadon before being scrapped in early pre-production and then years later turning into Coruscant. The fact that there's about 13 members of the resistance left with a single ship probably means they're not going in this direction….But a time jump of a few years, with Kylo ruling from Coruscant would open up a lot of fun opportunities.

The movie pretty much ends in sets up Luke coming out of hiding and the splintered resistance as the star of something bigger.
post #100 of 460

Word on the street is that J.J. just pitched his story for EPISODE IX to Bob Iger.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › Star Wars IX: Untitled (2019)(J.J. Abrams) Pre-Release discussion brought to you by Overlord