CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (2017) - Post Release Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (2017) - Post Release Thread - Page 3

post #101 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

I'm glad this worked for you guys, but I found it unforgivably corny, and man alive was that score confident in its own importance. The scene where Poirot is screaming his head off for somebody to kill him while the soundtrack swells devoutly had me wishing Michelle Pfeiffer would shoot me instead.

The visuals were sumptuous and the cast was good, but I didn't walk away thinking this was particularly successful as a whodunit or a drama. Who was I supposed to invest in? Poirot was amusing but certainly no source of pathos, and the motivation of the passengers lacked gravity because it was established in gimmick-like flashbacks. I can't think of one emotional beat that lands because they are all so ham-fisted. I felt oddly condescended to by the end.

That's a bummer, but fair enough!

post #102 of 146
I thought that Poirot’s repeated pining for his dead love seemed jammed in there for the sake of characterization, and stood out like a sore thumb. Kind of like the CGI.
post #103 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik myers View Post

I thought that Poirot’s repeated pining for his dead love seemed jammed in there for the sake of characterization, and stood out like a sore thumb. Kind of like the CGI.


I felt it was unnecessary.  The CGI didn't particularly bug me, though.

post #104 of 146
post #105 of 146

HERCULE POIROT - 1

DARK UNIVERSE - 0

post #106 of 146

MUSTACHE UNIVERSE

 

Count me in.

post #107 of 146

I'm totally game, though I do wish they weren't adapting a novel that's already been done on the big screen.  But oh well!  DEATH has one of the better murder plots, plus a decent body count, so that should be fun.

 

I'm mostly just pleased that MURDER has apparently done well enough in Fox's eyes to justify a sequel.

post #108 of 146

Ladies and gentlemen... start your celebrity fancasting!

post #109 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post
 

Ladies and gentlemen... start your celebrity fancasting!

Think Emily Blunt could reprise her role from the Poirot episode as Linnet Ridgeway?

post #110 of 146
How was the TV version compared to the movie?
post #111 of 146

Well some of speculated as to what would happen should Murder on the Orient Express become a hit.

 

Here goes:

 

Poirot = Kenneth Branagh, obviously.

 

Louise Bourget = Eva Green

 

Linnet Ridgeway = Emily Blunt

 

Mrs. Van Schuyler = Meryl Streep

 

Jacquelline De Bellefort = Carey Mulligan

 

Mr. Ferguson = Tom Hardy

 

Rosalie Otterbourne = Ana de Armas

 

Manager of the Karnak = Ben Kingsley

 

Andrew Pennington = Vince Vaughn with grayed hair 

 

Simon Doyle = Boyd Holbrook

 

Colonel Race = Ralph Fiennes

 

Mrs. Salome Otterbourne = Emma Thompson 

 

Mrs. Bowers = Kate Beckinsale 

 

Dr. Bessner = John C. Reilly 

 

Barnstaple = Michael Gambon 

post #112 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post
 

HERCULE POIROT - 1

DARK UNIVERSE - 0


Well, they did get one in with the logo.

 

HERCULE POIROT - 1

DARK UNIVERSE - 1

post #113 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirHeaven View Post

Colonel Race = Ralph Fiennes

 

Mrs. Salome Otterbourne = Emma Thompson

Thompson could be a riot in that role.  My pick for Race would be Colin Firth, but either would be worthy of following in the footsteps of the great David Niven!

post #114 of 146
There was a row of six old ladies sitting in front of me when I say this last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

Our Hercule Poirot franchise begins...

'Death on the Nile' will be the next Agatha Christie novel to be adapted for the big screen 



It's nice to see they're moving forward with this giving the ending of the movie.

Wonder if this will get PBS playing the David Suchet ones again? Seems like it's been a few years since they've ran those now.
post #115 of 146

Death on the Nile's a good one, I'm sure they'll have more freedom with the adaptation seeing as it doesn't revolve as heavily around the twist as Orient Express.

post #116 of 146

What are the odds that we'll have a cameo by an older British woman who'll turn out to be Miss Marple in the final scene?  It'll set up a Christie shared universe!

post #117 of 146

I think they should give David Suchet a cameo in the next movie. Admittedly I'm not as familiar with Death On The Nile as I am with Murder On The Orient Express, but there must be someone he can play. 

post #118 of 146

It'd be a nice nod to the fact that, for most of the world, Suchet IS Hercule Poirot.

post #119 of 146

I like Suchet's take, but he's by no means the definitive Poirot for me.  Perhaps that's because I had already seen Finney and Ustinov in the role before I found Suchet.

 

But yes, in the eyes of many, he's the top.

post #120 of 146
I've never watched the series but have seen the 1974 Murder on the Orient Express as well as the 1978 Death on the Nile. What I enjoyed about both is the big, wide locations they used before we got to the smaller setting of the train or boat. I also loved that everyone is played by some well known star at the time so every character stands out in their own way.

With all that said, how does the series compare to those films for those particular stories? Are they as "fun" as the movies?
post #121 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

I've never watched the series but have seen the 1974 Murder on the Orient Express as well as the 1978 Death on the Nile. What I enjoyed about both is the big, wide locations they used before we got to the smaller setting of the train or boat. I also loved that everyone is played by some well known star at the time so every character stands out in their own way.

With all that said, how does the series compare to those films for those particular stories? Are they as "fun" as the movies?


The series, obviously, feels like typical British TV.  Very good British TV, but still British TV.  It's moody and atmospheric in fits and starts, but I'd never call it particularly cinematic in the way the 1970s movies are.

 

Are the shows as "fun" as the movies?  Depends on what "fun" mean, I guess.  For me, I'd say no.  I prefer the bigger scope and bigger-name casts of the films, so that makes them more fun for me.  The show is absolutely quality, though.

post #122 of 146
I'll give it a watch then.

I'm curious what other Poirot stories would make a good cinematic experience. Have they already adapted the ones that best fit the big screen (hence why they're doing Death on the Nike again).
post #123 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

Death on the Nike

 

God, I'm sick of corporate sponsorship deals ruining things.

post #124 of 146

The thing about those British Poirot mysteries (with David Suchet) is that they aren't high budget affairs BUT there is more of a focus on the mysteries themselves.  My one complaint on the Branagh film was that it was blatantly easy to figure out 'who done it' if you're even remotely paying attention.  Those Suchet ones aren't so easily telegraphed.

post #125 of 146

I actually might give this a second watch later later tonight - like, the 10PM showing. Its either this or the 30th Anniversary Die Hard.

 

Decisions decisions.

post #126 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by smugbug View Post
 

I actually might give this a second watch later later tonight - like, the 10PM showing. Its either this or the 30th Anniversary Die Hard.

 

Decisions decisions.

 

DIE HARD.

post #127 of 146
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smugbug View Post
 

Its either this or the 30th Anniversary Die Hard.

 

There are very few permutations of this sentence where the answer is not "Die Hard".

post #128 of 146

Yeah, if I didn't have Die Hard (and I do have it), then this would be a definite. 

 

However....Die Hard is hard to deny; especially being able to see it on the big screen! 

post #129 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by smugbug View Post
 

Yeah, if I didn't have Die Hard (and I do have it), then this would be a definite. 

 

However....Die Hard is hard to deny; especially being able to see it on the big screen! 

 

I saw DIE HARD at least 4 times in the theater back during its original run, including 1 time where I dragged my parents to see it because they effing NEEDED to see it (and they loved it).

post #130 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

 

I saw DIE HARD at least 4 times in the theater back during its original run, including 1 time where I dragged my parents to see it because they effing NEEDED to see it (and they loved it).


Haha! I didn't even see it until it began showing at the Mission Theater in Portland after its initial run was over. The Mission Theater is a McMenamin joint. I lived within walking distance and was walking by and saw "Die Hard" on the marquee. Had pints and a burger as I watched it. 

post #131 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

 

DIE HARD.

 

DIE HARD.

post #132 of 146

DIE HARD + MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS = 

 

post #133 of 146

 Even my mom likes Die Hard and she isn't much of an action movie fan.

post #134 of 146

Was it Branagh's intention to make his Poirot the most interesting thing about this movie?  Because it worked.  I prefer the original Lumet version, but Branagh's Poirot definitely deserves his own franchise.  Everything else was boring.

post #135 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
 

Was it Branagh's intention to make his Poirot the most interesting thing about this movie?  Because it worked.  I prefer the original Lumet version, but Branagh's Poirot definitely deserves his own franchise.  Everything else was boring.


I disagree that everything else was boring, but I very much agree about Branagh's Poirot being the unequivocal highlight of the movie.  It's one of my favorite performances this year.

post #136 of 146

Looks like we might be getting the Agatha Christie Cinematic Universe after all.

 

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/12/27/kenneth-branagh-death-on-the-nile-christie-cinematic-universe

post #137 of 146

Ok why is that article clowning on Werther's Caramels? Those things are delicious.

post #138 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post
 

Ok why is that article clowning on Werther's Caramels? Those things are delicious.

 

damned straight.

 

When you're at EPCOT's world showcase, the Germany pavilion makes caramel corn using Werther's caramels.  Fucking CHOW.

post #139 of 146

Weird. I assumed that the author was probably European because, over here at least, Wethers have kind of been advertised toward the older lady and gentleman. It's pretty much "Keep your grandfolk happy and buy them some lovely Werthers!" 

post #140 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

Looks like we might be getting the Agatha Christie Cinematic Universe after all.

 

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/12/27/kenneth-branagh-death-on-the-nile-christie-cinematic-universe


I knew the movie had performed well enough in the states, but I had no idea it had crossed $300 million total worldwide.  For a film with a $55 million budget, that's a pretty fantastic return, and if they can make the follow-ups for a similar price, they've got no reason not to.  I'm irrationally excited by the prospect!

 

After DEATH ON THE NILE, let's have Branagh see if he can crack THE MURDER OF ROGER ACKROYD for the big screen.

post #141 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post
 


I knew the movie had performed well enough in the states, but I had no idea it had crossed $300 million total worldwide.  For a film with a $55 million budget, that's a pretty fantastic return, and if they can make the follow-ups for a similar price, they've got no reason not to.  I'm irrationally excited by the prospect!

 

After DEATH ON THE NILE, let's have Branagh see if he can crack THE MURDER OF ROGER ACKROYD for the big screen.


Yeah, this turned out to be a genuinely impressive sleeper hit of the fall.

 

I'll throw out ABC MURDERS and CARDS ON THE TABLE as good candidates for adaptation. The latter in particular has some really fun roles.

post #142 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

Looks like we might be getting the Agatha Christie Cinematic Universe after all.

 

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/12/27/kenneth-branagh-death-on-the-nile-christie-cinematic-universe


YES! This makes me happy!

post #143 of 146

This is a cinematic universe that actually makes sense. Unless you start over-developing it to shit, greenlight a grim'n gritty Poirot & Mrs Marple buddy cop film or something.

post #144 of 146
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtanen View Post
 

This is a cinematic universe that actually makes sense. Unless you start over-developing it to shit, greenlight a grim'n gritty Poirot & Mrs Marple buddy cop film or something.


The ChristieVerse! I'm sold!

post #145 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post
 


Yeah, this turned out to be a genuinely impressive sleeper hit of the fall.

 

I'll throw out ABC MURDERS and CARDS ON THE TABLE as good candidates for adaptation. The latter in particular has some really fun roles.


Col. Race comes back in CARDS ON THE TABLE, right?  Coming after DEATH ON THE NILE, that would be some nice continuity to see a character return.

post #146 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post
 


Col. Race comes back in CARDS ON THE TABLE, right?  Coming after DEATH ON THE NILE, that would be some nice continuity to see a character return.


Yeah, he's one of the four investigators. Mrs. Oliver and Superintendent Battle would also be potentially recurring characters, depending on how many films they end up doing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Focused Film Discussion
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › Focused Film Discussion › MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (2017) - Post Release Thread