CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE CHEWERS › The Chewers Catch-All › SWAG BRAG: Chud Holiday Gift Xchange 2017
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SWAG BRAG: Chud Holiday Gift Xchange 2017

post #1 of 117
Thread Starter 

Here's where we show off our various loot from the exchange this year.

 

I've already received my gift from the fabulous Judas Booth. It's on the personal side, so I don't want to go into too much detail, but suffice it to say it's an incredible gift and much appreciated. Raise your glasses high and join me in a toast to a great Santa, Judas Booth!

 

<clinky clinky>

post #2 of 117

My sincere pleasure.

post #3 of 117
Thread Starter 

Everybody needs to rep the livin' hell outta Judas.

post #4 of 117
Yeah, Judas was my gifter last year. He chooses his gifts well and they were much appreciated.

Thank you again, Judas! They get a lot of play!
post #5 of 117
I was bragging as well about Judas being my Santa 2 xmas’s ago. You’re a good man Judas!
post #6 of 117
Thread Starter 

This isn't technically part of the exchange, but it's from a fellow Chewer, MrBananaGrabber, who was getting rid of some of his older tabletop games and sent one to me absolutely free!

 

 

 

There are some great minis in the box, and it looks like it'll be a blast, as well as fitting in perfectly with our game night rotation. So hats off to MrBananaGrabber!

post #7 of 117

millennium1 got me this:

 

 

It's a working 20-minute timer you build yourself. Very cool!

post #8 of 117

Some lovely gifts from Boone. A couple of intriguing books to get my teeth into over the holidays, and lots of stationery to given me a kick up the arse to get back to writing next year. Top stuff, sir. Thank you.

 

post #9 of 117

Everyone should read SLAVERY BY ANOTHER NAME, particularly if you've read Michelle Alexander's THE NEW JIM CROW. And those notebooks are top-notch - big fan of Field Notes' aesthetic, but Muji makes a great, inexpensive notebook with high-quality paper. (And not to brag, but all of JHP's gifts were purchased from local suppliers here in NYC. :D)

post #10 of 117
Thread Starter 

SLAVERY BY ANOTHER NAME, such a jolly yuletide gift. 

 

I kid, I kid...

post #11 of 117

Is it a book about marriage?

 

I also kid...

post #12 of 117

It's about convict leasing, which emerged in the aftermath of the Civil War and in part formed the foundations for our modern system of prison labor. I know, very cheery! 

post #13 of 117
Thread Starter 

Well, it's no treatise on convict leasing, but imagine my delight when I opened a package from Subotai this morning containing these! :

 

 

That's a great D&D-themed tee shirt (it says "Be a hero, play D&D for extra life"), The PUGMIRE Core Rulebook, and a lovely hand-written note on a nice card to boot. Now I have to scour the net and see if I can find some Pugmire minis to paint and run my very first "Who's a Good Dog?" campaign.

 

Thanks, Subo! This is turning into a very Merry Christmas indeed.

post #14 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post
 

SLAVERY BY ANOTHER NAME, such a jolly yuletide gift. 

 

I kid, I kid...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

Is it a book about marriage?

 

I also kid...

 

In Boone's defence, not that he needs me to mount one, I specifically asked him to send me things he found interesting or enjoyable. I pretty much have every expression of my interests, so it seemed like a good opportunity to get to know someone else's. Both his books are next up after I finish Banks' "The Quarry" and I'm looking forward to reading them!

post #15 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

Well, it's no treatise on convict leasing, but imagine my delight when I opened a package from Subotai this morning containing these! :




That's a great D&D-themed tee shirt (it says "Be a hero, play D&D for extra life"), The PUGMIRE Core Rulebook, and a lovely hand-written note on a nice card to boot. Now I have to scour the net and see if I can find some Pugmire minis to paint and run my very first "Who's a Good Dog?" campaign.

Thanks, Subo! This is turning into a very Merry Christmas indeed.

My pleasure. Your generous gift from last year has been a big hit with my group. Haven't played it yet, but Pugmire was well-reviewed and looks like a lot of fun.
post #16 of 117
post #17 of 117
Thread Starter 

Weird, I can't see Graham's post from within the thread, but I can read the intro text from outside the thread. From in here it's just blank.

post #18 of 117

da fuq?

post #19 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

Weird, I can't see Graham's post from within the thread, but I can read the intro text from outside the thread. From in here it's just blank.
Same here. I've seen stuff like this before. But it's usually text that accompanies a picture or video..
post #20 of 117

I can see Graham's post if I quote it in the Reply field.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham View Post
 

 

(well...so much for natural lighting after the past few 'overcast and snowing like a bastard days...')

 

Anyway, my haul from the wonderful jhp1608...

 

Anything Chris Morris or Armando is ALWAYS greatly appreciated...was actually looking for a reason to update my 2004 copy that I could spin past the wife...problem solved!!

 

Deeply annoyed I missed the theatrical run of Lynch's 'The Art Life'...now with this and the Twin Peaks Blu, I have more Lynch than a sane person should be asked to handle...

 

and the 'piece de resistance'...the Lego 'Young Ones' is going to greet everyone in my entrance hall/ stairway!

 

 

...Thank you SO much!...(you utter, utter, utter, utter BRILLIANT BLOKE!!...)

 

 

...

 

 

 

post #21 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post
 

Some lovely gifts from Boone. A couple of intriguing books to get my teeth into over the holidays, and lots of stationery to given me a kick up the arse to get back to writing next year. Top stuff, sir. Thank you.

 

 

I rather enjoyed Stoner. It wasn't at all what I was expecting, but I am better off for it. It sparked a long, multi day conversation in a group chat.

post #22 of 117

Thanks for that, Hammerhead!!

post #23 of 117
Somebody gave you a shark??

#jealous


ETA: forgive me for that awful joke. I've had dosXquatro Dos Equis and I'm gettin up go get another one..
post #24 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
 

 

(well...so much for natural lighting after the past few 'overcast and snowing like a bastard days...')

 

Anyway, my haul from the wonderful jhp1608...

 

Anything Chris Morris or Armando is ALWAYS greatly appreciated...was actually looking for a reason to update my 2004 copy that I could spin past the wife...problem solved!!

 

Deeply annoyed I missed the theatrical run of Lynch's 'The Art Life'...now with this and the Twin Peaks Blu, I have more Lynch than a sane person should be asked to handle...

 

and the 'piece de resistance'...the Lego 'Young Ones' is going to greet everyone in my entrance hall/ stairway!

 

 

...Thank you SO much!...(you utter, utter, utter, utter BRILLIANT BLOKE!!...)

 

 

...

 

 

 

 

Really glad they have arrived safe, and relieved you like them.

 

I'm sorry I got you something you already had, though. I cottoned on to the fact you are a fan of Chris Morris, and I thought "The Day Today" was a sensible middle-ground between Brasseye which I think you said you'd watched recently, and deeper cuts that I couldn't testify to being any good. Hope you can find a use for it.

 

For the US Chewers who may know something of Morris through Four Lions or Brass Eye, and who know Armando Iannucci, The Day Today was basically their TV debutante moment, as well as the first sighting of Alan Partridge. As news satire from the early 90s, it's not directly topical any more, although nothing really ever changes and it still has the characteristic Morris and Iannucci wit. 

 

I'm also very happy you like the Lego Young Ones. It was bordering on juvenile, but it also seemed to represent things that are worth being nostalgic over. Once I saw it, I couldn't really not take the risk of getting it!

post #25 of 117

....again, THANKS!

post #26 of 117
Love those Lego Young Ones.
post #27 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTyres View Post

 

I rather enjoyed Stoner. It wasn't at all what I was expecting, but I am better off for it. It sparked a long, multi day conversation in a group chat.

 

This is probably the best description I've heard of it. It's one of my three favorite books of all time, and I came to it late, casually, unexpectedly. 

 

*grumbles about casey affleck in the movie*

post #28 of 117

Got my package from Neil Spurn yesterday:

 

 

I mentioned to him that we'd just splurged on a new TV setup (LG OLED w/4K blu ray player and all that) and needed some 4k blu rays.  I mentioned a few and he came through on those AND also threw in BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI, a film that I've never actually seen all the way through (I know...I know...) and didn't know was on 4k.  I have zero excuses not to see it now, especially when it's going to be in absolutely the best format possible.

 

Thanks Neil!

post #29 of 117
Boy....that's three rock solid movies to get.

Reminds me of the three I got last year wink.gif
post #30 of 117

SICARIO is, to my mind, one of the best films of the past 15 years.  I loved it the one time that I saw it and it's lingered in my brain ever since.  I'm really looking forward to revisiting it in 4k.

 

JOHN WICK?  Do I even need to say anything?

 

And then yeah, BRIDGE.  As I said, this is a gap in my personal filmography that I'm really looking forward to closing.

post #31 of 117
Thread Starter 

Turns out Bradito isn't just one of the funniest members of the boards, he can also surprise you with an Xmas gift out of left field. This arrived late yesterday:

 

 

Bradito (rightfully) rags on us folks in the Stand-Up Comedy thread for watching so many HBO/Netflix comedy specials instead of seeing the comedians in person. I love Stanhope, and can't wait to read this book. Thanks Bradito!

post #32 of 117
My original plan was to book a bunch of open micers to perform live in your living room. Maybe next year.
post #33 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

SICARIO is, to my mind, one of the best films of the past 15 years.  I loved it the one time that I saw it and it's lingered in my brain ever since.  I'm really looking forward to revisiting it in 4k.

 

JOHN WICK?  Do I even need to say anything?

 

And then yeah, BRIDGE.  As I said, this is a gap in my personal filmography that I'm really looking forward to closing.

 

Glad you like the choices!  Sicario was on your list, but I hit upon Wick after scouring your post history and seeing your reaction to it some time ago.  And yeah, Lean deserves to be watched on 4K.

post #34 of 117
Two of my three gifts made it to Boone’s mailbox yesterday according to the delivery confirmation, and Graham was nice enough to let me know that I should be receiving his gifts today.
post #35 of 117

Fraid's AWESOME gifts arrived, but I won't have the chance to post pics until the weekend.  Thanks Fraid!  For two years in a row you've been assigned me, and you killed it twice!

post #36 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim K View Post

Two of my three gifts made it to Boone’s mailbox yesterday according to the delivery confirmation, and Graham was nice enough to let me know that I should be receiving his gifts today.

 

I got one! I'll wait until all 3 come before posting pictures. :)

post #37 of 117
I was spoiled by Subotai! This arrived Tuesday, love all of it. I took a picture real quick before work so I only show off one of the set of four glasses. This all looks terrific! Thank you so much!


Bendrix should be receiving his gifts early next week.
post #38 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by McIrish View Post

I was spoiled by Subotai! This arrived Tuesday, love all of it. I took a picture real quick before work so I only show off one of the set of four glasses. This all looks terrific! Thank you so much!


Bendrix should be receiving his gifts early next week.

 

Gah...again, I wish that I could drink.  Nice haul!

post #39 of 117

To put it simply, McIrish is no milquetoast.  He's a man's man and those glasses, while not expensive, are nice and made for big mitts. 

 

The books and the blu-rays were mine...Going to be moving in the new year and I'd like to pass off as much stuff as I can to deserving folks.  The one writer there, Michael Van Rooy, was a terrific Canadian crime writer who sadly passed away about 5 years ago, far too young.  Only a couple of books to his name but they're very realistic.  He had some interesting ideas for his next books which we will sadly never see.  Mick Herron's books deal with a domestic UK spy agency, not 007 or Smiley but someplace where Alec Leamas would have wound up if he had made it over the wall.  Very well written.

post #40 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subotai View Post
 

The one writer there, Michael Van Rooy, was a terrific Canadian crime writer who sadly passed away about 5 years ago, far too young.  Only a couple of books to his name but they're very realistic.  He had some interesting ideas for his next books which we will sadly never see.  Mick Herron's books deal with a domestic UK spy agency, not 007 or Smiley but someplace where Alec Leamas would have wound up if he had made it over the wall.  Very well written.

 

Oh, nice.  Are they in the same vein as the Michael Slade books?

post #41 of 117
More like the anti-hero criminal genre, maybe more like Elmore Leonard or Walter Mosley. Rooy did time himself and he understands what life is truly like for a former inmate.

The Publishers Weekly review:

"Canadian author Van Rooy introduces an appealing antihero, Montgomery Haaviko, in his debut, a gritty, offbeat suspense novel. When three armed men break into Haaviko's Winnipeg house, Haaviko, who has a criminal record but is trying to make a fresh start, winds up killing them all in self-defense. The police don't believe his account and arrest him for murder. When Haaviko refuses to talk without a lawyer, the police beat him severely. Later, with the help of a lawyer, Haaviko succeeds in getting the charges against him dropped. Despite having nothing official hanging over him, Haaviko soon discovers that his attempts to find gainful employment are being undercut by an unknown foe, who begins a whispering campaign against him by spreading word of his shady past. While Van Rooy doesn't sustain the energy of the dramatic opening scene, he heightens interest with his lead's clever efforts to counter this campaign and tosses in enough dark humor to please Elmore Leonard fans. "
post #42 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subotai View Post

More like the anti-hero criminal genre, maybe more like Elmore Leonard or Walter Mosley. Rooy did time himself and he understands what life is truly like for a former inmate.

The Publishers Weekly review:

"Canadian author Van Rooy introduces an appealing antihero, Montgomery Haaviko, in his debut, a gritty, offbeat suspense novel. When three armed men break into Haaviko's Winnipeg house, Haaviko, who has a criminal record but is trying to make a fresh start, winds up killing them all in self-defense. The police don't believe his account and arrest him for murder. When Haaviko refuses to talk without a lawyer, the police beat him severely. Later, with the help of a lawyer, Haaviko succeeds in getting the charges against him dropped. Despite having nothing official hanging over him, Haaviko soon discovers that his attempts to find gainful employment are being undercut by an unknown foe, who begins a whispering campaign against him by spreading word of his shady past. While Van Rooy doesn't sustain the energy of the dramatic opening scene, he heightens interest with his lead's clever efforts to counter this campaign and tosses in enough dark humor to please Elmore Leonard fans. "

 

Sold.  I'm gonna look him up and give him a shot.  Michael Slade seems to be done writing anything new, so I need some new Canadian thrillers.

post #43 of 117
Yeah, I read all those Slade thrillers back in the day. Good, pulpy stuff.

One Canuck to check out is John McFetridge; he writes pretty solid urban crime thrillers set in Toronto and Montreal. Another is Giles Blunt, a former writer for Law and Order, has a series about a homicide detective in Northern Ontario; it was adapted into the TV mini-series Cardinal, which continues with a second season next year. Billy Campbell did a terrific job in the role, not sure where to find it in the States but if you dig around I'm sure you can find it.



https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/actor-billy-campbell-on-cardinal-the-frozen-wilds-and-the-roles-that-matter-most/article33673173/
post #44 of 117
I got Graham’s gift last night and I can’t wait to play it. I haven’t dug into the rules manual yet, but I’m definitely going to be taking this to game night with my friends this Sunday especially considering that we coincidentally were talking about Kurt Russel movies during last weekend’s game night and ended up having a long conversation about John Carpenter’s the Thing. Thanks Graham this looks amazing! (the fact that my game group’s conversation happened when your gift was already on it’s way is awesome and a little creepy)



post #45 of 117
I got a gift from thread legend and all-around great guy, Jacob Singer. Now it turns out that I already have a copy of "Filmmaking for Dummies," a terrific book that I read in grad school; it put me on the path to where I am, making my own shorts and descending into madness. But that being said, the copy that Jacob got me is red, and the one I have is green. So I'm going to stick them on the shelf together and see if they mate.

Thanks, Jacob!

post #46 of 117
Thread Starter 

Well, rats.

 

Say, by the way, and apropos of nothing at all, do you have Screenwriting for Dummies? 

post #47 of 117
Thread Starter 

And the hits keep comin'! Disciple_72 was kind enough to send me an Xbox gift card completely out of the blue, which, fortunately for me, also works for Windows games. So I wasted no time and picked up the Telltale Guardians of the Galaxy series, and ABZU, both of which I've wanted for a while now.

 

Thank you very much, Disciple_72, and Merry Xmas to you and yours!

post #48 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim K View Post

I got Graham’s gift last night and I can’t wait to play it. I haven’t dug into the rules manual yet, but I’m definitely going to be taking this to game night with my friends this Sunday especially considering that we coincidentally were talking about Kurt Russel movies during last weekend’s game night and ended up having a long conversation about John Carpenter’s the Thing. Thanks Graham this looks amazing! (the fact that my game group’s conversation happened when your gift was already on it’s way is awesome and a little creepy)



 

So glad I procrastinated a little bit, otherwise I would have been a copycat. Nice call, Graham.

post #49 of 117
Great game. GJ guys.
post #50 of 117
How great of a guy is Jacob? He gives so much more than he receives. Look what I received from him in the mail yesterday (with another on the way soon, I'm told):

...I love this cool old movie! Well...it ain't that old. But it's still awesome!

I hope I'm not like, treading on a subject that I shouldn't but, I think I speak for everyone when I say that presents are great but the best thing about this Christmas is that Jacob is still here with us, happy and doing so much better, to celebrate it with us. Thank you very much Mr. Singer and a Merry Merry Christmas to you and many more to come!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Chewers Catch-All
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE CHEWERS › The Chewers Catch-All › SWAG BRAG: Chud Holiday Gift Xchange 2017