CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › The Greatest American Hero (2018, ABC)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Greatest American Hero (2018, ABC)

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 

I was just thinking how ripe this show was for a reboot, when I see...

 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hannah-simone-star-abcs-greatest-american-hero-remake-1084158

 

Quote:
 ABC has found its Greatest American Hero in Hannah Simone.
 
The project, being shepherded by Fresh Off the Boat showrunner Nahnatchka Kahn, received a pilot order just two weeks ago. The half-hour comedy follows Meera (Simone), a 30-year-old Cleveland woman whose talents include drinking tequila, singing karaoke and not much else. All that changes when some aliens entrust her with a super suit to protect the planet.

 

Believe it or not, I'll probably watch all 13 episodes before ABC cancels it!

 

So, V is also coming back...

 

I'd say Quantum Leap is now easily the best candidate for a reboot that hasn't actually happened yet?

post #2 of 40
I can see Hannah Simone handling a role like this quite splendidly.

I can also see where you're coming from with Quantum Leap. What are they waiting for?
post #3 of 40

Just keep the damn theme tune. It's one of the greats.

 

post #4 of 40
I prefer the re-make of the theme song...

...bah. Link not working. It’s Costanzas answering machine from Seinfeld...

I failed...
post #5 of 40
Thread Starter 

I still have most of that theme memorized, as my first post hinted at.

 

Believe it or not

I'm walkin on air

I never thought I could feel so free-ee-ee

Flyin away

On a wing and prayer

Who could it beeeeee

Believe it or not it's just me

 

I can even whip out the second verse, but that takes a few beers and an audience I want to hurt.

post #6 of 40
I was at a fund-raiser quiz night for my nephew's football team a few months ago and one of the sections was identifying TV theme tunes and when this one came on the entire hall full of literal soccer mums (and dads and aunts and uncles) picked it up immediately began to sing it.

Then of course the 12-second clip of music dropped out (it's a quiz, you're not supposed to hear the whole thing) but the room just kept going. We sang the entire thing. This song none of us had heard for literal decades. At the top of our voices, in unison like we were on the terraces singing for Manchester United or Chelsea or Spurs or Celtic. But we were singing for The Greatest American Hero.

That's magic that is.


-
Edited by Bucho - 2/12/18 at 8:26pm
post #7 of 40

William Katt could not be reached for comment.

 

 

(God damn it, Barry!)

post #8 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post

I was at a fund-raiser quiz night for my nephew's football team a few months ago and one of the sections was identifying TV theme tunes and when this one came on the entire hall full of literal soccer mums (and dads and aunts and uncles) picked it up immediately began to sing it.

Then of course the 12-second clip of music dropped out (it's a quiz, you're not supposed to hear the whole thing) but the room just kept going. We sang the entire thing. This song none of us had heard for literal decades. At the top of our voices, in unison like we were on the terraces singing for Manchester United or Chelsea or Spurs or Celtic. But we were singing for The Greatest American Hero.

That's magic that is.


-

 

Clearly, I'm living in the wrong city, for THESE are my people.

post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
 

 

Clearly, I'm living in the wrong city, for THESE are my people.

 

So, Farsight didn't have the foresight to live in the right city?

 

Hmmmm ....

post #10 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
 

 

So, Farsight didn't have the foresight to live in the right city?

 

Hmmmm ....

 

I blame my parents.

 

And laziness.

 

But mostly my parents.

post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
 

I still have most of that theme memorized, as my first post hinted at.

 

Believe it or not

I'm walkin on air

I never thought I could feel so free-ee-ee

Flyin away

On a wing and prayer

Who could it beeeeee

Believe it or not it's just me

 

I can even whip out the second verse, but that takes a few beers and an audience I want to hurt.

 

It says a lot that I didn't think I knew the theme tune but, when I started reading the lyrics you'd posted, it came flooding back. 

post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workyticket View Post
 

Just keep the damn theme tune. It's one of the greats.

 

 

Only this time sung by Taylor Swift.

post #13 of 40
Despite not having seen a single episode of this show (i don't think it was ever aired in my country) even i know the theme song.
post #14 of 40

My wife is five years younger than me and is a normal, non-nerd person. She only knew the Seinfeld version of the song until I sang the original for her one day. I started explaining the concept of the show and got about as far as "but he didn't get the instruction book" when her eyes glassed over and I could tell she had stopped paying attention.

 

Anyhoo, I'd at least watch the pilot for this. And yeah, I'm really surprised we haven't gotten a Quantum Leap reboot by now. Wasn't there a rumor about a show featuring Sam's daughter a few years back?

post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post

Clearly, I'm living in the wrong city, for THESE are my people.

It was massively popular with 80s kids in NZ, right up there with Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazard and CHiPs.

Plus that theme tune is a stone cold megahit.
post #16 of 40

If we're talking theme music, let's not forget Airwolf and Streethawk!

 

 

post #17 of 40
Thread Starter 

To my great and undying shame, I now realize that what I wrote (while singing) above was not in fact the first verse, but rather the chorus.

 

Look at what's happened to me-ee

I can hardly believe it myself

Suddenly I'm up on top of the world

Shoulda' been somebody else

tatata ta ta tata ta ta

 

I now hang my head (while singing).

post #18 of 40
Oh, all of you are sooo my people.


I’d be furiously searching YouTube for the Automan intro to post right now if I wasn’t so damned lazy.
post #19 of 40
One of my favorite shows as a kid but by the last season it's started to really bother me that he could never get hold of the flying and kept crashing into billboards or sides of buildings to land. In the beginning it was funny but got old and stale pretty quick.
Does anyone think those Aaron Rodgers State Farm commercials got this reboot greenlit?
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post


It was massively popular with 80s kids in NZ, right up there with Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazard and CHiPs.

 

Can confirm.  I was surprised to hear it was actually not all that popular in the US, because that show was HYUGE back home!

post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil spurn View Post

Oh, all of you are sooo my people.


I’d be furiously searching YouTube for the Automan intro to post right now if I wasn’t so damned lazy.

 

Ah ha, man who couldn't even be bothered looking up spoilers for Fast and the Furious 8 and wanted us to tell him what happened, we meet again!

 

post #22 of 40

Holy crap. I've never even heard of Automan until right now but, having seen that intro, I know I would have loved it as a teen! Guess they didn't show it over here in the UK, or something. 

post #23 of 40
I watched it as a kid. You didn’t miss anything. The opening is easily the best part of the show.
post #24 of 40

There was a rash of sci-fi TV shows that came flashing through in the 80s--Automan, Manimal, Greatest American Hero, Misfits of Science, Knight Rider, The Phoenix, Q.E.D., Voyagers!, Street Hawk, Whiz Kids, Beyond Westworld, Logan's Run, Planet of the Apes, etc. Most of them were terrible, but when you were a kid anything that wasn't All In the Family or Eight is Enough was a feast for your eyes.

post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

If we're talking theme music, let's not forget Airwolf and Streethawk!

Airwolf was the series that i didn't wanted to miss back then but i didn't like it one bit that the cast of the original series was replaced by Barry van Dyke (as Stringfellow Hawke's long lost brother) & company. It felt like it was made on the cheap and that opening wasn't nearly as powerful as the original IMHO.
https://youtu.be/SpOMS3QZtiM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martianman View Post

There was a rash of sci-fi TV shows that came flashing through in the 80s--Automan, Manimal, Greatest American Hero, Misfits of Science, Knight Rider, The Phoenix, Q.E.D., Voyagers!, Street Hawk, Whiz Kids, Beyond Westworld, Logan's Run, Planet of the Apes, etc. Most of them were terrible, but when you were a kid anything that wasn't All In the Family or Eight is Enough was a feast for your eyes.

Yes, i had that also with cartoon theme songs like Jayce & Wheeled warriors, M.A.S.K., Galaxy Rangers, Thunder Cats etc. Singing along was half the fun and it got you pumped and you had something to looking forward to. It really feels like a lost art these days because i can't think of an intro song of a recent tv series that i actively sing along with.
Edited by Sprinky - 2/15/18 at 11:11am
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Guess they didn't show it over here in the UK, or something. 

Automan was definitely on UK TV in the 1980s. Actually I remember most of the shows mentioned here (Manimal, Street Hawk etc, basically all the embarrassingly-dated-now-but-so-cool-back-then shit that you couldn't wait to talk about at school the next day). Funnily enough The Greatest American Hero is probably the only one I don't remember seeing at all. First thing that comes to mind when someone mentions William Katt is House.
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinky View Post


Airwolf was the series that i didn't wanted to miss back then but i didn't like it one bit that the cast of the original series was replaced by Barry van Dyke (as Stringfellow Hawke's long lost brother) & company. It felt like it was made on the cheap and that opening wasn't nearly as powerful as the original IMHO.

Lol when I was little it was all about Barry van Dyke and Kent McCord with their cool flying motorbikes on Galactica. You can't buy that kind of chemistry.
post #28 of 40
Anyone else remember Bring 'Em Back Alive starring Bruce "Couldn't get Indy so this is the best we could do under the circumstances" Boxleitner?
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post

Anyone else remember Bring 'Em Back Alive starring Bruce "Couldn't get Indy so this is the best we could do under the circumstances" Boxleitner?

I do! Frank Buck (as the show was called here) was my childhood hero. [Checks Wikipedia] For 17 weeks, apparently. It's amazing to me that most of the shows that seem like such an integral part of my childhood were cancelled during the first season.
post #30 of 40
Yeah, I loved Q.E.D., but it's run was so short. I feel like I watched 25 episodes but it was probably more like 4. Very early version of Steampunk. So you don't have to run to Wikipedia:

Q.E.D. is a 1982 adventure television series set in Edwardian England, starring Sam Waterston as Professor Quentin Everett Deverill. The Professor was a scientific detective in the mold of Sherlock Holmes, and the series had a smattering of what would later be called steampunk. In the show, the lead character was known primarily by his initials, Q.E.D; the reference here is that Q.E.D. usually stands for quod erat demonstrandum, a statement signalling the end of a proof. The show aired on the CBS network in the United States, and by a variety of ITV companies in the United Kingdom.
post #31 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalpackage23 View Post

One of my favorite shows as a kid but by the last season it's started to really bother me that he could never get hold of the flying and kept crashing into billboards or sides of buildings to land. In the beginning it was funny but got old and stale pretty quick.

 

There was another reason for a young boy to watch the show...

 

 

I am referring of course to William Katt's glorious perm!

 

This made me think of childhood crushes, which led to Erin Gray, which led me to think Buck Rogers could really work as a reboot.

 

I could always use more of this guy in my life:

 

 

Beedee beedee beedee, wanna dance, Buck?

post #32 of 40

We never had Airwolf on NZ TV as far as I can remember, but a few two-parter episodes and the pilot did make their way onto VHS as "movies" so I'm well familiar with the show and it's awesome theme.  But I gotta say it's about the only US show like this that we didn't get.  I remember Knight Rider, Simon & Simon, Hardcastle & McCormack, Riptide, Crazy Like A Fox, Hart To Hart, Street Hawk, A-Team, Automan, Superforce (that was a bit later) and heaps more.

 

Side note - rewatched the Marvel one-shot "Hail To The King" last weekend and when they showed footage of Trevor Slattery's "Caged Heat" TV pilot, I damn near died when "Music by Mike Post" popped up in the credits.

post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by The NZ Natural View Post

We never had Airwolf on NZ TV as far as I can remember, but a few two-parter episodes and the pilot did make their way onto VHS as "movies" so I'm well familiar with the show and it's awesome theme.  But I gotta say it's about the only US show like this that we didn't get.  I remember Knight Rider, Simon & Simon, Hardcastle & McCormack, Riptide, Crazy Like A Fox, Hart To Hart, Street Hawk, A-Team, Automan, Superforce (that was a bit later) and heaps more.

Side note - rewatched the Marvel one-shot "Hail To The King" last weekend and when they showed footage of Trevor Slattery's "Caged Heat" TV pilot, I damn near died when "Music by Mike Post" popped up in the credits.

I don't remember ever seeing the Airwolf TV show in NZ either. Loved Crazy Like a Fox, A-Team and Riptide though.
post #34 of 40
Most of these shows were brought up in the 1980's thread, which I all loved, but there's one I don't think anyone has talked about. Wizards and Warriors with Jeff Conaway, didn't last too long but was like a Dungeons & Dragons/Dragons Liar type TV show that I remembered liking alot
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post

This made me think of childhood crushes, which led to Erin Gray

Heather Thomas from The Fall Guy
Stephanie Kramer from Hunter
Cindy Morgan from Bring 'Em Back Alive
post #36 of 40

 

 

post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

Holy crap. I've never even heard of Automan until right now but, having seen that intro, I know I would have loved it as a teen! Guess they didn't show it over here in the UK, or something. 

 

Yeah, I remember Automan in the 80s. It was blink and you'll miss it (they did one season) and it was kind of hard to find some of these things when they aired as they were on at all sorts of weird times. The Greatest American Hero was like that, on 3:00pm one Saturday, 4:00pm the next Sunday, etc.

 

With Cursor basically jumping down women's cleavages and finding soft cheesecake pictures of ladies in bikinis... Oh and that second Buck Rogers intro where they justify Erin Gray lounging around on a table in her smalls for 3 minutes by saying 'Buck Rogers had some weird dreams'. They just don't make television like that anymore.

 

Manimal was my jam I have to say. Frikkin odd premises all round. They're all variants of THEY FIGHT CRIME! but high concept as hell compared to what we get these days. Oh, shout out for Werewolf as well, which I don't think was mentioned.

 

 

post #38 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post
 

 

Oh and that second Buck Rogers intro where they justify Erin Gray lounging around on a table in her smalls for 3 minutes by saying 'Buck Rogers had some weird dreams'. They just don't make television like that anymore.

 

 

Buck Rogers even had a villainess whose royal outfit was Leia's slave bikini!

 

 

 

But hey, you can't call the show sexist when it also had...

 

 

Beefcake Rogers!

 

Oddly, both are getting checked out by old dudes DURING THE SCENE...

post #39 of 40

Did you know there was another MATRIX?

 

post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
 

Did you know there was another MATRIX?

 

 

Yes.

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Television
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Television › The Greatest American Hero (2018, ABC)