CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › The Franchises › The Chronicles of Riddick: Am I The Only One?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Chronicles of Riddick: Am I The Only One?

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
I screened TCOR last night. Before the screening I had heard good things about the film. I heard that the film was intelligent, well done etc.. Hearing this I was still skeptical because, after all, it's fucking Vin Diesel. So anyways, I saw the film. Drum roll...............................

It was terrible, a couple of interesting moments and/or visual ideas but for the most part it was terrible. I was cringing in my seat with two of my friends, groaning at how bad it was. It was like a bad episode of Star Trek, and that's an oxymoron.

I just don't understand what the hoopla was all about. The idea of the Necromongers was marginally interesting but that's it. I don't know what attracted demigoddess Judy Dench to her role [the most interesting role of the film]. Another dissapointment was the effects. They seemed rushed, unpolished and not at all believable.

Now, I love sci fi, it's one of my favorite genres. For some strange reason I believed that perhaps that TCOR would be a great addition to the genre.

Boy was I wrong.

Vin Diesel can't even pretend to act, he's horrible, every line, look, and scene. Twohy gives him one liners and that's it. I understand if he's superhuman and a badass but he isn't a terminator, not a robot, there is no basis even in a fictional reality that relates him to the audience.

The moment the film begins the audience is taken on a rollercoaster ride but the problems is there is no chance to become emotionally invested in any of the characters so nothing matter, no one matters, at least to me.

This seems to be a bitch session but I assure this is simply a reaction to a film that I had such hopes for. I have not seen a good science fiction [i.e. actual space ships, alien worlds, I don't include the Matrix films, they are cyber fiction]

I'm sad, I'm sad that no one can write a decent story without filling it with mindless action and one liners.

J.M. Prater
post #2 of 37
There's a thread about this in the main Forum.
post #3 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by devincf
There's a thread about this in the main Forum.
Devin, not that it really bothers me, because it really doesn't, but was that really necessary to post that? Is there really a problem with there also being a Riddick thread in this forum?

I don't really have anything to comment on the movie because I didn't get a chance to catch it yet, but consider my expectations lowered.
post #4 of 37
Well the guy wants to know if 'he's the only one'. Pointing out that there's already a discussion going on in the main forum makes sense.
post #5 of 37
In that sense, yes I'd have to agree, but there's alot of "This thread doesn't belong here" or "There's already a thread about this going on in another forum and/or 200 pages back in this forum" around the boards and that's really getting to be annoying and not always necessary, but I'll give Devin the benifit of the doubt and say that perhaps he was just trying to politely point the poster in the direction of others that didn't like the film.
post #6 of 37
I was politely pointing out that there are already people talking about the movie in another thread. If the guy just wants to have his own little soapbox to say what he wants to say, he should get a web site.
post #7 of 37
Devin's a prick.

Oops! I forgot there was already a thread for that discussion! Like, six of them!
post #8 of 37
Chronices of Riddick was the best Scifi/fantasy epic since Star Wars(all of them!!!) and I hope they continue to make more riddick films because this story can really go places.
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghostbuster626
Chronices of Riddick was the best Scifi/fantasy epic since Star Wars(all of them!!!) and I hope they continue to make more riddick films because this story can really go places.
Bullshit like this always makes me laugh.

It was better than the first, but still not all that great.

Some interesting ideas executed by people who have no idea what they are doing.

Vin Diesal is still a viable action star. I just wish he would stop picking forgetttable junk.

My friend nailed it when he said this was a thirty-minute story in a two hour film.

I actually agreed with Knowles' take on this one.

The ending was great though.
post #10 of 37
Why is it bullshit?

Cause he disagrees with your opinion?

Get over yourself.

RD
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by The Rain Dog
Why is it bullshit?

Cause he disagrees with your opinion?

Get over yourself.

RD
You are?
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by General Zod
You are?
Someone who reckons your opinion isn't fact and that someones allowed to enjoy a film without you sighting their reasons as "bullshit" perchance?

Im just saying we've all got opinions - labelling someone elses "bullshit" cause you disagree just makes you come off as a snobby prick.

Responding to films is by its very nature subjective.

RD
post #13 of 37
So I am the only one who saw various plot points during the second and third viewings of this movie? Like [[ is/was Vaako also a Furian? which is why the Purifier would ask him about his doubts? ]]

Okay, just me, then.
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by The Rain Dog


Responding to films is by its very nature subjective.

RD
I come off as a snobby prick because I am. Riddick is everything wrong with sci-fi today.

A good idea with no follow-through.
post #15 of 37
This film was better than I expected and had some decent moments, especially the first ten minutes. Diesel, who I generally don't like, is made for Riddick. Not a great movie, but it more than met my(mild) expectations Easily Vin Diesel's best turn since becoming a "star.". I actually wish it would have made enough dough to warrant a sequel. Oh well....
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by General Zod
I come off as a snobby prick because I am. Riddick is everything wrong with sci-fi today.

A good idea with no follow-through.
...in your opinion.

Which isnt fact mate - just your view.

That doesn't make it right or wrong.

I say again - get over yourself.

RD
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by The Rain Dog
I say again - get over yourself.

RD
Oh, lighten up. If it's not to spout off our opinions as fact and remain anonymous enough to say whatever we want with no consequences, then why do we even have the internet?
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by HildyJohnson
So I am the only one who saw various plot points during the second and third viewings of this movie? Like [[ is/was Vaako also a Furian? which is why the Purifier would ask him about his doubts? ]]

Okay, just me, then.
Yes, I was wondering that myself. It would be too much of a coincidence (not that that means much in movies like this) if the Purifier were the only Furyan in the Necromonger ranks.
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Zero
If it's not to spout off our opinions as fact and remain anonymous enough to say whatever we want with no consequences, then why do we even have the internet?
Porn?
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Zero
Oh, lighten up. If it's not to spout off our opinions as fact and remain anonymous enough to say whatever we want with no consequences, then why do we even have the internet?
Dunno.


Porn?



Seriously tho, if someone can be an opinion nazi around here surely I can call them on it?

Opinions aren't facts.

Responses to films is a subjective medium.

Whats wrong with expecting people to respect each others opinions?

RD
post #21 of 37
Damn you Showvillain - you got in first! ;D

Nice one.

RD
post #22 of 37
Great flick, really fun. The choppily shot hand-to-hand stuff is my only major gripe (though it is, I admit, a REALLY major one).

That and Necromonger is a stupid word. I don't have a problem with any other names in the film, but that one just slowly kept eating away at me every time someone said it "the Necromonger faith" "the Necromonger way" etc...etc..

Dug all the actors except Newton, who was terrible.

- Fate
post #23 of 37
Good Action, stupid story. It was ok, but I certainly am not waiting with bated breath for the dvd.
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by General Zod

My friend nailed it when he said this was a thirty-minute story in a two hour film.
Holy shit, good call.
post #25 of 37
I haven't seen it yet, but from the trailers it looks awfully Children of Dune in appearance.
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by The Rain Dog
Dunno.


Porn?



Seriously tho, if someone can be an opinion nazi around here surely I can call them on it?

Opinions aren't facts.

Responses to films is a subjective medium.

Whats wrong with expecting people to respect each others opinions?

RD

Remember this the next time you get ready to shit in a Star Wars thread.
post #27 of 37
Thread Starter 
General Zod,

It's nice to have someone that agrees with me [more or less].

I guess I'm scratching my head as to what I've missed with TCOR. Admittedly and as aforementioned I think the initial trailers were brilliant. I saw this glimmer of a universe, worlds, and species that seemed promising.

I am a HUGE fan of science fiction not just as a film genre but as something literary. There is however a large of gap of good sci-fi in the film world. There have been great promises with a large percentage of that promise only delivering sub-par films with milding interesting stories.

I am a fan of Dune and the legacy of that book series, Lynch's effort and the sci-fi channel's version of Frank Herbert's vision. I think that ALIEN [and yes, kill me ] ALIEN3 are visionary entries into the genre. 2001 : A Space Odyssey is about one of the most pleasing sci-fi films that I have seen. Terminator 2-3 are good attempts as well [but not great]. There are more of course, just wanted to name a few. I realize I'll be flamed.

Sadly it is evident that it's hard to get sci-fi right, really hard. As much as I enjoyed aspects of Spielberg's Minority Report it was still missing that special something that made it good sci-fi. With the exception of the brilliant Samantha Morton [when she was on screen the film became REAL sci-fi for me].

All that said I just didn't like much of what was offered when I saw The Chronicles of Riddick. Again as stated at the start of this thread if anything it was an expose on bad writing and a 'how to' on bad acting.

I guess I want someone to explain to me what was good and why it was good? What am I missing? Here's a good opportunity to change my mind.

J.M. Prater
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by General Zod
Remember this the next time you get ready to shit in a Star Wars thread.
Disagreeing with people isn't "shitting" in anything genius. If you look at my posts, you'll never see me say anything as ridiculous as "you're wrong" or" you're talking bullshit", cause the lovers are just as entitled to their opinions as the haters. The fact that I choose to disagree does not negate their position in any way. Nor should my stance threaten theirs.

Only those who don't have the strength of their own convictions are threatened by opposing viewpoints.

RD
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by J.M. PRATER
General Zod,

It's nice to have someone that agrees with me [more or less].

I guess I'm scratching my head as to what I've missed with TCOR. Admittedly and as aforementioned I think the initial trailers were brilliant. I saw this glimmer of a universe, worlds, and species that seemed promising.

I am a HUGE fan of science fiction not just as a film genre but as something literary. There is however a large of gap of good sci-fi in the film world. There have been great promises with a large percentage of that promise only delivering sub-par films with milding interesting stories.

I am a fan of Dune and the legacy of that book series, Lynch's effort and the sci-fi channel's version of Frank Herbert's vision. I think that ALIEN [and yes, kill me ] ALIEN3 are visionary entries into the genre. 2001 : A Space Odyssey is about one of the most pleasing sci-fi films that I have seen. Terminator 2-3 are good attempts as well [but not great]. There are more of course, just wanted to name a few. I realize I'll be flamed.

Sadly it is evident that it's hard to get sci-fi right, really hard. As much as I enjoyed aspects of Spielberg's Minority Report it was still missing that special something that made it good sci-fi. With the exception of the brilliant Samantha Morton [when she was on screen the film became REAL sci-fi for me].

All that said I just didn't like much of what was offered when I saw The Chronicles of Riddick. Again as stated at the start of this thread if anything it was an expose on bad writing and a 'how to' on bad acting.

I guess I want someone to explain to me what was good and why it was good? What am I missing? Here's a good opportunity to change my mind.

J.M. Prater
You nailed how I feel. It's not a terrible film, but it lacks so much dramatic weight that by the end I was bored. I like Deisel, I know he can be interesting, I hope one day he will be Arnold's successor, but this was just a mishmash of good and bad ideas.

It felt as though the good ideas where just dropped and never fully executed and the bad ideas where just too plentiful.

Plus, the story was too thin to be in such a long movie. Not the worst I've seen, but nothing I would ever watch again.

Ah well. Just me though.
post #30 of 37
Thread Starter 

More

The biggest issue is character. I could get used to the worlds and the underdeveloped plotlines if the characters were anyone I cared about.

Good sci-fi is good because we can relate to the character. ALIEN was brilliant because we could identify with the crew. Even in films of a lesser quality and puffier [i.e. Star Wars] worked because the characters were tangible and close enough to real people so as not to alienate the audience.

With TCOR there was no threadline. I'm sorry, visuals aren't enough, cool goggles, cool names and plot devices aren't enough to make a cool or good film.

Now, I loved the idea of the Elementals, a race of humanoids that are somehow connected to the elements of nature, brilliant. Brilliant but underused, poorly written and developed.

Development is also key with Science Fiction, good science fiction. TCOR began with a bang and never stopped until the end. That might have worked if the the universe we were thrusted into had been explained in a prior film. The prior film wasn't about the universe we were exposed to in TCOR, it was about several people, like Alien in a doubly intense situation. Twohy assumed far too much. This assumption only damaged the potential of the film. I think even Jerry Bruckheimer would've released a better sci-fi attempt then this.


I don't hate Vin Diesel, not at all, he's well built, attractive and has a great sexual vibe that manages to reach through to men and women, admittedly or not. The problem is that Riddick didn't have a life beyond his one liners, beyond this 6 inch exterior that only alienated potential friends and potential audiences.

J.M. Prater
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M. PRATER
That might have worked if the the universe we were thrusted into had been explained in a prior film. The prior film wasn't about the universe we were exposed to in TCOR, it was about several people, like Alien in a doubly intense situation. Twohy assumed far too much. This assumption only damaged the potential of the film.
I do think they set it up to be in various mediums. Those who have played the game mention the "eyeshine" as "metaphysical". The official site for this movie had a "game" that took you through and gave you a glimpse of what all these different races were. Cheesy, perhaps, but most scifi to me is.

More background was given with the additions made to the rerelease of the Pitch Black dvd (though it is really only 'Johns' chase log' that adds anything to the complete story) and the animation.

It might well be an assumption on the production that anyone would be interested in finding this stuff before hand.
post #32 of 37
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/527/527956p1.html

Maybe it'll live on in video game form?
post #33 of 37
This will be huge on video.

There will be a sequel.

The game will knock my pants off.

Necromonger is a dumb word.

Mullets will be back in style because of this film.
post #34 of 37
It will be interesting to see how this "franchise" plays out. Certain elements have been very successful (the PITCH BLACK re-release selling very well, the game both critically and commercially, DARK FURY at the very least well recieved critically) even while the actual film totally bombed. What does Universal do in a situation like this, where there is obvious interest despite the movie's performance? I'm sure it'd be a lot clearer if nothing sold. They could cut their losses and use the writeoff, but I'd also think it'd be worth at least entertaining the idea that maybe they could use a long-term approach to chipping away at their expenses by releasing more material of some sort. I suppose it'll be a 'wait and see' for each thing... the DVD, the PC version of the game, etc.
post #35 of 37

Well, we all know that they made another flick in this series, but I couldn't find a more current or busier thread (that I was allowed to resurrect). Just wanted to post my little tribute...

post #36 of 37
If you want to post something like this that will get eyes on it (maybe not in the rarely visited art forum), then you can get creative and start a specialized thread in the Movie Miscellany forum, something like "Personal Pop Art Thread."

See? Now you don't have to worry about resurrecting any threads in Focused Film for this kind of stuff. Create that thread and upload your entire portofolio if you like. Go meshuga.
post #37 of 37

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Franchises
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › The Franchises › The Chronicles of Riddick: Am I The Only One?