CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › CHUD.COM Main › The Dead Celebrity Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Dead Celebrity Thread - Page 235

post #11701 of 12930

For me it was Red Dawn. That was my first introduction to him and I loved how the 'adults' in that film (Boothe, Harry Dean Stanton, Judd Omen) really sold it. So good in so much over 40 years. RIP.

post #11702 of 12930
How could I have forgotten MacGruber!? I can't imagine what they'll do without him if they ever come around to doing the sequel. Wonderful straight man in that.

I want to say, 2016 was worse, at this point, in terms of legends passing, where I had no words. But this year's deaths have hit me harder on a personal level, especially Paxton, Demme, and now Michael Parks and Boothe within one week: guys I grew up admiring the work of gone WAY too soon.
post #11703 of 12930

You fuckers need to watch EXTREME PREJUDICE if you want to honor Powers Boothe in the right way.  Cash Bailiey all the way.

post #11704 of 12930

I've been reading the new Jim Jones book that came out last month, planning to watch the miniseries where Boothe played Jones afterwards. Definitely going to do that now. 

post #11705 of 12930
Yep. Cash Bailey is my reference point for the guy. And a manlier cast than any Expendables. Nolte! Boothe! Ironside! Brown! Forsythe! Torn! Uhhhhh... the black guy from Revenge of the Nerds!
post #11706 of 12930

EXTREME PREJUDICE is pretty good. Also might qualify for Sweatiest Movie EverTM

post #11707 of 12930
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post
 

I know this is probably an insult to the man's great and diverse career but my mind couldn't help but instantly go to Sudden Death when I heard he'd passed.

 

Why would that be an insult? He's fantastic in it.

post #11708 of 12930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post
 

I've been reading the new Jim Jones book that came out last month, planning to watch the miniseries where Boothe played Jones afterwards. Definitely going to do that now. 

 

He's amazing in that mini series.  I remember watching it when it first aired (yeeeesh, that was a lifetime ago) and then watching it again about 10 years ago on some retro channel.  It's a bit dated in terms of production values but holy shit is Boothe good in it.  Scary good.

post #11709 of 12930
Every time I hear someone's developing a movie about Jonestown, I wonder how anybody can top Boothe's performance in that miniseries. It is damn near perfect, and creepy as fuck. The guy was a master at playing sinister good ol' boys and authority figures, but he had a range beyond that too.

As much of a Chandler fan as I am, I somehow never saw the HBO series where he starred as Marlowe. I really need to rectify that, but copies seem very scarce if Amazon is anything to go by.

And yeah, "Extreme Prejudice" is great.
post #11710 of 12930
My favorite Powers Boothe movie and performance is always gonna be Red Dawn...with Southern Comfort nipping at it's heels.

Losing Paxton is one that's gonna continue to bother me for a long time to come, I'd imagine..
post #11711 of 12930
His Jim Jones film and that Marlowe TV series are both on a really long list of things involving cool actors that I always wanted to watch but never found the time.

Southern Comfort, Extreme Prejudice, Red Dawn, By Dawn's Early Light, Boorman's The Emerald Forest. That weird pro wildlife conservation action movie he did with Rutger Hauer and Donald Pleasence. I was definitely a fan. RIP
post #11712 of 12930

oh man, forgot about THE EMERALD FOREST.  Hell of a good movie, and a rare turn for him as a good guy.

post #11713 of 12930
Odd, Boothe's info is missing on all his films on imdb.
post #11714 of 12930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post

As much of a Chandler fan as I am, I somehow never saw the HBO series where he starred as Marlowe. I really need to rectify that, but copies seem very scarce if Amazon is anything to go by.

 

You'd think it would get put up on HBO Now, but there always seem to be rights issues with their early productions.

post #11715 of 12930

Both Boothe and Paxton are guys whose memoirs I very much would have liked to read.

 

RIP.

post #11716 of 12930
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

 

You'd think it would get put up on HBO Now, but there always seem to be rights issues with their early productions.

 

Most of HBO's output before the late 90's consisted of productions from other companies.

post #11717 of 12930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subotai View Post
 

Both Boothe and Paxton are guys whose memoirs I very much would have liked to read.

 

RIP.

 

Along those lines:

 

I highly recommend seeking out the easy-to-find Nerdist podcast episode with Michael Ironside. He's very much in DGAF mode (because he knows he'll never be an A-lister and has peace with his career) and tells some great stories.

 

Here it is:

 

http://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-michael-ironside/

post #11718 of 12930
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 

Haven't seen much mention of 1981's SOUTHERN COMFORT, in which Boothe shares the lead with Keith Carradine. Written and directed by Walter Hill, it's a sharp dramatic actioner set in the Louisiana Bayous in the early 70s. Worth your time to seek it out.

 

 

I believe a Pauline Kael review that compared it to DELIVERANCE compelled me to seek it out. 

Yeah, it's great shit. 

post #11719 of 12930
I finally watched Southern Comfort and Extreme Prejudice within the last year because of the fine folks in the B Movie Action Thread and was more than pleased.

Both excellent displays of all around badassery from Boothe and Co.
post #11720 of 12930
Extreme Prejudice needs to come out on Blu-ray before I walk into the ocean.
post #11721 of 12930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Extreme Prejudice needs to come out on Blu-ray before I walk into the ocean.

 

This along with Open Range, Joe vs the Volcano, and Soderbergh's Solaris are all inexplicably not available on blu. (And many other fine films, I'm sure.)

post #11722 of 12930
If I ever get you in another gift exchange Michael, I'll be sure to make Open Range on blu one of your gifts. There's a blu of it out there. Just not a US release. But region free so it's all good..
post #11723 of 12930
post #11724 of 12930
Chris Cornell. 52.

Fucking fuck.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/92754436/rocker-chris-cornell-has-died-at-age-52

In real world stuff every day has felt like 2016. But death seemed to have had a wee bit of a letup on last years kill fest.

His version of Billie Jean was gold. God damn.
post #11725 of 12930

What the fuck!? 

post #11726 of 12930

Damn. What an incredible voice. And You Know My Name is one of the best Bond songs.

post #11727 of 12930

Whuuuuut?

Saw Soundgarden live just a couple of years ago and he looked and sounded like a guy in his 30's.

post #11728 of 12930

Devastating.

 

Music lost one of its best and most unique voices.  R.I.P.

post #11729 of 12930

This is a complete shock. Who didn't listen to Soundgarden during the early 1990s? Wow.

 

R.I.P.

post #11730 of 12930
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Extreme Prejudice needs to come out on Blu-ray before I walk into the ocean.

 

This along with Open Range, Joe vs the Volcano, and Soderbergh's Solaris are all inexplicably not available on blu. (And many other fine films, I'm sure.)

 

Off-topic, but Warner Archive just announced Joe.

post #11731 of 12930

I'm not going to say I was a big Soundgarden fan in the 90's... back then music just wasn't very important to me. I was much more interested in film and books.  Still, that video for Black Hole Sun blew me away when it came out, and Cornell DOES have one of the all time classic rock 'n roll voices.

 

And in the aughts, he did my favorite Bond theme for my favorite Bond movie.

 

Fifty fucking two?  Christ, barely more than a decade older than me. That sucks, man :(

 

 

 

 

 

 

Having been big into Gaiman back then (and now), when Alice Cooper put out The Last Temptation, I found that my favorite song on that album was originally a unused Soundgarden track. Cornell did backup vocals on the song, and it's still tremendous:

 


Edited by Anjin - 5/18/17 at 3:06am
post #11732 of 12930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjin View Post

I'm not going to say I was a big Soundgarden fan in the 90's... back then music just wasn't very important to me. I was much more interested in film and books.  Still, that video for Black Hole Sun blew me away when it came out, and Cornell DOES have one of the all time classic rock 'n roll voices.

And in the aughts, he did my favorite Bond theme for my favorite Bond movie.

Fifty fucking two?  Christ, barely more than a decade older than me. That sucks, man frown.gif






It's the loss of the voice that makes me saddest.

I mean sure I was a big Soundgarden fan in the early 90s, catching up really rather than in the first wave, and Temple of the Dog became and remains one of my favourite albums. Even if you aren't massively into the music, though, his voice was just amazing.

It broke down for a while but the reinvented rasp had tons of soul even if it didn't have the fireworks.

Fuck - sober since 2002 as well.


Edited by jhp1608 - 5/18/17 at 3:03am
post #11733 of 12930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

If I ever get you in another gift exchange Michael, I'll be sure to make Open Range on blu one of your gifts. There's a blu of it out there. Just not a US release. But region free so it's all good..

 

Don't you need a region-free player to play region free discs?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
Off-topic, but Warner Archive just announced Joe.

 

SUH-WEET.

 

 

Was never a big Soundgarden or Audioslave fan (most post-Nirvana 90s hard rock leaves me cold) but I have to agree. His singing voice is unquestionably great.

post #11734 of 12930
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 

 

Don't you need a region-free player to play region free discs?

 

 

Nope. That's the point.

post #11735 of 12930
Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark no. I've listened to Badmotorfinger hundreds of times. It's still one of my sunshines. Easily one of the top 5 albums of the 90s and holds up better than any other album that came out of that Seattle explosion. Aside from QOTSA and The Mars Volta there hasn't been a hard rock band this millennium who's had what it took to match what Soundgarden made with that record.

Me and my brother watched Motorvision so many times the VHS ate itself.

post #11736 of 12930

Think I've got something in my eye...

 

 

post #11737 of 12930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark no. I've listened to Badmotorfinger hundreds of times. It's still one of my sunshines. Easily one of the top 5 albums of the 90s and holds up better than any other album that came out of that Seattle explosion. Aside from QOTSA and The Mars Volta there hasn't been a hard rock band this millennium who's had what it took to match what Soundgarden made with that record.

Me and my brother watched Motorvision so many times the VHS ate itself.

 

And to think that voice aged into this...

 

post #11738 of 12930

Ah, fuck.

 

I'll toss in my love for 'Badmotorfinger' and 'Superunknown'

post #11739 of 12930

I liked but was never into Nirvana that deeply. I loved, and still love, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam.  I was always more a Zep and blues guy than a punk guy. 

 

Then discovering Temple of the Dog just after I left university was like finding a missing piece of myself. Only ...And Justice for AllVan Halen IILed Zep IIKind of Blue and Brahms' Violin Concerto are as much desert island discs as that.

post #11740 of 12930
Magnificence.

Edited by Bucho - 5/18/17 at 4:27am
post #11741 of 12930

Also adding that I felt Audioslave was under rated.  (Their presence on the soundtrack for 'Collateral' may influence that)

post #11742 of 12930
A little less than two weeks before the twentieth anniversary of the passing of his good pal Jeff Buckley.
post #11743 of 12930
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondguy View Post
 

Also adding that I felt Audioslave was under rated.  (Their presence on the soundtrack for 'Collateral' may influence that)

 

And on Miami Vice - at least 'The Shape of Things to Come'. That's one of my favourite songs of this century.

 

I think Audioslave's debut album was exceptional, and although not as consistent, some of the stuff on the two other albums is a lot of fun. Apart from the song I mentioned above, I really like 'Doesn't Remind Me', 'Man or Animal', 'Original Fire' and 'Broken City'.

post #11744 of 12930
What in the fuck? Any word yet on why he died at 52?

We lost one hell of a great voice.
post #11745 of 12930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

What in the fuck? Any word yet on why he died at 52?

We lost one hell of a great voice.

 

A sudden and unexpected death sometime after a show. No word yet on why.

post #11746 of 12930

Fucking hell. I LOVED Soundgarden, Superunknown especially. RIP.

 

post #11747 of 12930
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post
 

 

A sudden and unexpected death sometime after a show. No word yet on why.

 

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/865179184079007745

 

Rolling Stone are reporting that police are apparently investigating it as a possible suicide. 

post #11748 of 12930

I wasn't a completist, but he was one of the great vocalists of our time. Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Audioslave all had solid stuff.

 

I've got nothing. Awful.

post #11749 of 12930

Early reports coming in that Roger Ailes of Fox News died - https://twitter.com/yashar/status/865184398748110848

 

RIP, Shitty Person.

post #11750 of 12930

The universe achieves balance pretty quickly these days.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: CHUD.COM Main
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › CHUD.COM Main › The Dead Celebrity Thread