CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › Films in Release or On Video › The B Action Movie Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The B Action Movie Thread - Page 2776

post #138751 of 153009

I was saving DEATH SENTENCE for grand finale of my recent run-through of the Kevin Bacon filmography, but I might skip ahead and rewatch next week.

 

Still the same Thread love for it? I know it has been awhile for me.

post #138752 of 153009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

I was saving DEATH SENTENCE for grand finale of my recent run-through of the Kevin Bacon filmography, but I might skip ahead and rewatch next week.

Still the same Thread love for it? I know it has been awhile for me.

I forgot all about that movie. Good then, yes? Never got around to seeing it. I read Death Wish around the same time it came out and wanted to read THAT book before the movie. I now have a mission.
post #138753 of 153009
I honestly haven't seen it since theaters but I loved it. Still very memorable. The parking garage comfrontation is terrific, but my favorite moment is Bacon in his backyard shed (ROLLING THUNDER?) reading the instructions for the shotgun, trying to figure it all out.
post #138754 of 153009

I've always been a fan, but a recent revisit has me now considering RAVENOUS a perfect film. Nothing else like it.

 

<Robert Carlyle is simply AMAZING in it. He has moments that remind me of Nosferatu>

post #138755 of 153009
RAVENOUS is terrific. I love the use of humor.

Speaking of Carlyle: Remember that super lame fantasy film ERAGON from about a decade ago? I was a pretty big fan of the source material (the novels are terrific). Carlyle was the big-bad of the film, and he was the only good thing in it. Spot-on with what that character should have been. Leagues better than anything else in the film.

post #138756 of 153009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynis View Post

I honestly haven't seen it since theaters but I loved it. Still very memorable. The parking garage comfrontation is terrific, but my favorite moment is Bacon in his backyard shed (ROLLING THUNDER?) reading the instructions for the shotgun, trying to figure it all out.

Rolling Thunder is thee tits
post #138757 of 153009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynis View Post


Speaking of Carlyle: Remember that super lame fantasy film ERAGON from about a decade ago? I was a pretty big fan of the source material (the novels are terrific). Carlyle was the big-bad of the film, and he was the only good thing in it. Spot-on with what that character should have been. Leagues better than anything else in the film.

 

I remember ERAGON. Felt it copied way too many Star Wars tropes. Slightly better than that Jeremy Irons D&D movie though.

post #138758 of 153009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post
 

 

Pretty sure I've seen American Samurai. That one has Michael Nouri in it too right? I remember liking that one.

 

That one is the great AMERICAN YAKUZA with Viggo Mortensen. AMERICAN SAMURAI is with Bradley and it's also one of Mark Dacascos' earlier films. It's from AMERICAN NINJA and AVENGING FORCE director Sam Firstenberg. It's nothing incredible but it goes down fairly smooth. Basically it's a BLOODSPORT retread in which the fighters can use edged-weapons.

post #138759 of 153009
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

I remember ERAGON. Felt it copied way too many Star Wars tropes. Slightly better than that Jeremy Irons D&D movie though.

The movie kind of has the base characters and world but almost everything else is different. The circumstances, the quest, the finale, all goes down different. The movie is awful!
post #138760 of 153009
JCVD walking off new interview. Probably the most gracious one I've seen:

http://uproxx.com/movies/jean-claude-van-damme-interview-australia/
post #138761 of 153009

You can tell he was flustered because he took his hat off.

post #138762 of 153009
I feel like he was trying really hard not to be that guy. I dig the dude.
post #138763 of 153009

Going on these junkets and morning show interviews has got to be the one drawback to being an international movie star. The constant dopey questions time and time again must be grating. Hard to believe more actors don't take the Tommy Lee Jones approach to that stuff.

post #138764 of 153009

He made a lot of "interesting" movies, so only getting STREET FIGHTER / Kylie questions must be terrible.

I'd like to get his thoughts on B movie masterpiece NO RETREAT NO SURRENDER, for example, and I mean it, no irony.

post #138765 of 153009

It remains as one of the more hard-hitting explorations of Seattle's martial arts scene.

post #138766 of 153009

Van Damme (Ivan) lost the fight but his adversary was helped by none other than Bruce Lee's ghost (who's resting in Seattle).

A Russian couldn't win anyway.

 

 

All I found is this:

 

Quote:
Combat Karate: your role in "No Retreat, No Surrender" was basically what type of character? What did you do?

Jean-Claude: I was a guy from Russia, a Champion, a bad guy with a mean looking face. That was about it. It was a low-budget film.

 

And he did the mean looking face very well, except once when he smiled awkwardly, doing the splits.

post #138767 of 153009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post
Didn't help that many of the "quiet" lines from the original were now SHOUTED IN ANGER.

 

To me at least that's another problem with modern movies; I'll avoid controversy by listing examples, but I think it happens too often nowadays; that and such things as there being EPIC PROCLAMATIONS in place of actual realistic dialogue.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call Me Roy View Post
Rolling Thunder is thee tits

 

Yes. That is thankfully a quality movie I've actually seen (and I've seen it a few times before) and am proud to own on Blu.

post #138768 of 153009
Speaking on the weight and dieting thing...I don't know how y'all do it. I'm gonna die from my eating habits. I'm 35 and I've never been over 185 lbs no matter what I eat or how much. I'm 165lbs right now and I simply DO NOT know how to eat healthy. My appetite is insatiable. My arteries are probably closing as we speak..
post #138769 of 153009

Here's Pupkin's review of the book Moltisanti mentioned the other day:

 

Good Books: THE GOOD, THE TOUGH & THE DEADLY: Action Movies & Stars 1960s to Present:

 

http://www.rupertpupkinspeaks.com/2016/07/books-good-tough-and-deadly-action.html

 

"David J. Moore has quick become one of my favorite movie book authors. On the off chance you didn't snag his previous tome: WORLD GONE WILD, you really should. It's a great-looking omnibus about post apocalyptic films and it deserves a spot on your shelf. That said, he may have even topped himself with THE GOOD, THE TOUGH & THE DEADLY as it is an even bigger and more epic magnum opus this time and it is a thing of beauty. Though there are certainly a lot of publishers still putting out nice hardcover coffee table books, it seems like they are not quite as prominent as they once were. With as much reading as we all do digitally nowadays (online, kindle etc), I wonder of some folks have forgotten (or maybe never known) the pleasure of holding a physical book - let alone a wonderfully assembled, heavy-duty, tactile reference guide such as this. "

post #138770 of 153009

Another aspect of the book I enjoy is that the reviews are written by folks who like low and mid-budget action films. It's not full of snotty and ironic poser speak. They certainly don't like all the movies that are reviewed, but they approach them with the hope they'll be entertaining.

post #138771 of 153009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post
 

 

That one is the great AMERICAN YAKUZA with Viggo Mortensen. AMERICAN SAMURAI is with Bradley and it's also one of Mark Dacascos' earlier films. It's from AMERICAN NINJA and AVENGING FORCE director Sam Firstenberg. It's nothing incredible but it goes down fairly smooth. Basically it's a BLOODSPORT retread in which the fighters can use edged-weapons.

 

 

Ah, yes! Thanks for the correction, Molt! I'm pretty sure I've got the dvd of American Yakuza too. Now I'm getting the urge to revisit it, because I remember it being really fun. I'll have to seek out American Samurai as well.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post
 

Going on these junkets and morning show interviews has got to be the one drawback to being an international movie star. The constant dopey questions time and time again must be grating. Hard to believe more actors don't take the Tommy Lee Jones approach to that stuff.

 

 

Yeah, that's not a meltdown at all. That's Van Damme simply getting tired of being asked the same old questions. Much like when RDJ left that interview where that douchebag kept asking about his drug past. It just goes to show how nice so many of these celebrities can be when asked the same stupid questions over and over. Like Ernie Hudson. I'm sure ever since he started the convention circuit that nearly every single person asked him about a Ghostbusters 3. Poor guy. At least he never got that from me when I had him sign my dvds of Leviathan and Congo and we talked at length about them.

 

Carpenter's another one, and he's an ornery old man who doesn't give a shit. Yet, I've never heard of him getting pissed off at constantly being asked about Halloween. Then again, he's got steady paychecks coming in, so that must help out. Speaking of that, I read over on IMDB's news section that Carpenter won $502,000 in court because he sued Besson for ripping off Escape From New York with Lockout.

 

So anyway, I don't fault Van Damme for having had enough of it with that interview. I just hope stuff like that doesn't lead him back to his old snow blower ways. If it was me interviewing him I'd be talking about all these interesting roles he's taken since he stopped doing theatrical stuff. His feral role in In Hell, his award worthy performance in Until Death, his fun villain in Enemies Closer.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Speaking on the weight and dieting thing...I don't know how y'all do it. I'm gonna die from my eating habits. I'm 35 and I've never been over 185 lbs no matter what I eat or how much. I'm 165lbs right now and I simply DO NOT know how to eat healthy. My appetite is insatiable. My arteries are probably closing as we speak..

 

 

That's just the way some people are, Fraid. I'm controlling what I'm eating, but I'm in no way going on a total health food kick. I live near the Mexican border where there's tons of delicious authentic Mexican food. Along with delicious Chinese and Italian food. I'm not forsaking that at all. That would be going too far! Still, at least for me, it was the amount of food I was eating daily. I was having what would probably amount to 3 or 4 large meals daily at one point.

 

Healthy eating to me is eating a salad whenever I go out if one's available in addition to my meal, and drinking more water now, but mostly because if I kept drinking 6 or 7 sodas a day, I'd never be losing weight. I'm limiting myself to 1 or 2 sodas either a day, or every couple of days for now.

 

So at least you're lucky, man. You do work out a lot don't you? That has to be the main reason for you being able to keep your weight down without having to go on a health food binge.

post #138772 of 153009
Naw if I didn't work out I would just look like a skinny weakling...I'd never get over weight. But that's not really a good thing. It means I've never had to have ANY discipline when it comes to my eating habits. Outwardly I probably look healthy but I'd be scared to death to find out what my health is really like lol..
post #138773 of 153009

I LOVED this one:

 

"CRIMINAL is a solid Kevin Costner b-movie with a little whiff of FACE/OFF's approach to emotional sci-fi gimmicks." - Vern

 

http://outlawvern.com/2016/07/28/criminal-2/

 

"CRIMINAL is way too generic a title for this distinctive Kevin Costner action thriller, another enjoyable under-the-radar, higher-minded-than-advertised b-movie to put on the shelf next to 3 DAYS TO KILL. Costner would be the criminal of the title, a gruff, uneducated death row inmate with the strong action movie name of Jericho Stewart. He’s said to have some kind of condition that leaves him no capacity for empathy, like that creepy kid in MALEVOLENCE and BEREAVEMENT, so he experiences what the internet calls “the feels” for the first time when he’s the subject of an experimental surgery that implants another man’s memories into his brain."

post #138774 of 153009

Luc Besson gets fined $500,000 for LOCKOUT

 

The film was a disappointment. But i kinda liked Guy Pierce's character. Would've watched more adventures with him.

post #138775 of 153009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

I LOVED this one:

 

"CRIMINAL is a solid Kevin Costner b-movie with a little whiff of FACE/OFF's approach to emotional sci-fi gimmicks." - Vern

 

http://outlawvern.com/2016/07/28/criminal-2/

 

"CRIMINAL is way too generic a title for this distinctive Kevin Costner action thriller, another enjoyable under-the-radar, higher-minded-than-advertised b-movie to put on the shelf next to 3 DAYS TO KILL. Costner would be the criminal of the title, a gruff, uneducated death row inmate with the strong action movie name of Jericho Stewart. He’s said to have some kind of condition that leaves him no capacity for empathy, like that creepy kid in MALEVOLENCE and BEREAVEMENT, so he experiences what the internet calls “the feels” for the first time when he’s the subject of an experimental surgery that implants another man’s memories into his brain."

 

I wasn't crazy over it, but Criminal felt like the sort of movie that would've been the hot spec script of 1995 that went through Ford, Stallone, and Bruno all getting attached, then eventually passing.

post #138776 of 153009

Had so much promise when they introduce Costner in prison. All downhill from there.

post #138777 of 153009

So i made the right decision giving this a miss, Molt?

post #138778 of 153009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynis View Post

JCVD walking off new interview. Probably the most gracious one I've seen:

http://uproxx.com/movies/jean-claude-van-damme-interview-australia/

 

Let's not forget he's bipolar; on another day he may have laughed his way through a stupid interview.

 

I'm sure it's frustrating for any actor to deal with people not interested in discussing something different.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post
 

Had so much promise when they introduce Costner in prison. All downhill from there.

 

I have to say I got a bit more enjoyment out of this.  In no way is it a good film, but it is an entertaining 90 minutes.

 

Under someone else's control, I think a better film could have been made. 

post #138779 of 153009
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
 

So i made the right decision giving this a miss, Molt?

 

Was a waste of a good cast for me. Costner was fun until he started "feeling" and all that hooey. Oldman just yells and screams a lot. Tommy Lee Jones did a nice job but he's not enough to turn the tide.

 

Definitely not up to the standard of quality I've come to expect from Millennium Films.

post #138780 of 153009

Gotcha.

 

post #138781 of 153009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post
 

 

Was a waste of a good cast for me. Costner was fun until he started "feeling" and all that hooey. Oldman just yells and screams a lot. Tommy Lee Jones did a nice job but he's not enough to turn the tide.

 

Definitely not up to the standard of quality I've come to expect from Millennium Films.

 

See also: Michael Pitt being the main villain and not secondary.

 

I still love that bit where Costner goes on a klepto-murder spree when he first gets to London though.

post #138782 of 153009
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post
 

I still love that bit where Costner goes on a klepto-murder spree when he first gets to London though.

 

Oh sure, that was fun. He just never quite hits the heights of...

 

post #138783 of 153009

Speaking of Costner...

 

 

Belated Anniversary Shout Out: On This Day [Yesterday] 21 Yrs. Ago ...

 

 

Previous
Next
 
 
post #138784 of 153009

Joblo.com/Arrow in the Head watched BLOOD FATHER and gave movie 9/10

 

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/reviews/blood-father

 

Bottom line is...

 

Quote:
To everybody thinking that this is some kind of TAKEN redux – It’s not. This is a layered picture– with genuine characters. Think a novel mix of drama meets Grindhouse meets Mel Gibson owning that shite! It was also poignant, pimped out solid action scenes, some tension, laughs, impeccable direction by Jean-François Richet and it showcased fantastic performances, specially by Erin Moriarty and Mel Gibson who hasn't been THIS f-ing good in a long time! Sure, more wam-bam would have been appreciated, but again, I never felt any lag and was ALWAYS invested. In short; BLOOD FATHER is a MUST SEE! A picture axed on characters, relationships, emotionally charged themes and ass kicking! My fav film of the year so far!
BULL'S EYE

 

 

Also...movie is getting steelbook release in Germany....I'm so getting this one...eventually hehe...

 

post #138785 of 153009

Can't wait. Most anticipated flick for August.

post #138786 of 153009

Hey, Molt: I'm about to revisit the French movie SLEEPLESS NIGHT. Have you seen it? It's my second fave Action movie of this decade (right behind GREEN ROOM). It's awesome.

post #138787 of 153009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrage View Post
 

Joblo.com/Arrow in the Head watched BLOOD FATHER and gave movie 9/10

 

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/reviews/blood-father

 

Bottom line is...

 

 

 

Also...movie is getting steelbook release in Germany....I'm so getting this one...eventually hehe...

 


Wait, was this always heading to home video? Or did I completely miss a theatrical release?

post #138788 of 153009

List Mania! My Decade In Action Power Rankings:

 

1. JOHN WICK

2. GREEN ROOM

3. DJANGO UNCHAINED

4. SLEEPLESS NIGHT

5. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

6. MACGRUBER

7. BLUE RUIN

8. SAFE

9. THE GREY

10. ONLY GOD FORGIVES

11.  ATTACK THE BLOCK

12. DRIVE

13. HAYWIRE

14. MAN OF TAI CHI

15. THE LAST STAND

16. KICK-ASS

17. HANNA

18. THE GUEST

19. EDGE OF TOMORROW

20. WHITE HOUSE DOWN

21.  THE A-TEAM/ THE EQUALIZER

22.  PACIFIC RIM

23. KILLING THEM SOFTLY

24. EVERLY

25. JACK REACHER

26. IRON-MAN 3/ ANT-MAN

27. BULLET TO THE HEAD

28. HOMEFRONT

29. CRIMINAL/ 3 DAYS TO KILL

30. 13 ASSASSINS

31. THE RAID

32. THE REVENANT

33. PREMIUM RUSH

34. LUCY

35. RUN ALL NIGHT

36. DRIVE ANGRY

37. THE ROVER/ THESE FINAL HOURS

38. THE BOOK OF ELI

39. TRUE GRIT

40. AMERICAN ULTRA


Edited by Fat Elvis - 7/29/16 at 6:11pm
post #138789 of 153009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

Hey, Molt: I'm about to revisit the French movie SLEEPLESS NIGHT. Have you seen it? It's my second fave Action movie of this decade (right behind GREEN ROOM). It's awesome.

 

Haven't seen that one. May have to rent it off Amazon.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post
 


Wait, was this always heading to home video? Or did I completely miss a theatrical release?

 

It's a Lionsgate "Premiere" release which means it'll get tossed in a couple theaters in major markets the same day it hits VOD on August 12th.

post #138790 of 153009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

List Mania! My Decade In Action Power Rankings:

 

1. JOHN WICK

2. GREEN ROOM

3. DJANGO UNCHAINED

4. SLEEPLESS NIGHT

5. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

6. MACGRUBER

7. BLUE RUIN

8. SAFE

9. THE GREY

10. ONLY GOD FORGIVES

11.  ATTACK THE BLOCK

12. DRIVE

13. HAYWIRE

14. MAN OF TAI CHI

15. THE LAST STAND

16. KICK-ASS

17. HANNA

18. THE GUEST

19. EDGE OF TOMORROW

20. WHITE HOUSE DOWN

21.  THE A-TEAM/ THE EQUALIZER

22.  PACIFIC RIM

23. KILLING THEM SOFTLY

24. EVERLY

25. JACK REACHER

26. IRON-MAN 3/ ANT-MAN

27. BULLET TO THE HEAD

28. HOMEFRONT

29. CRIMINAL/ 3 DAYS TO KILL

30. 13 ASSASSINS

31. THE RAID

32. THE REVENANT

33. PREMIUM RUSH

34. LUCY

35. RUN ALL NIGHT

36. DRIVE ANGRY

37. THE ROVER

38. THE BOOK OF ELI

39. LONE SURVIVOR

40. AMERICAN ULTRA

 

Factoring out superheroes (I don't count #10 as that):

 

1. Mad Max: Fury Road

2. Django Unchained

3. Drive

4. The Guest

5. Green Room

6. The Raid 2

7. John Wick

8. The Raid

9. Skyfall

10. Dredd

post #138791 of 153009
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post

 

It's a Lionsgate "Premiere" release which means it'll get tossed in a couple theaters in major markets the same day it hits VOD on August 12th.

Ah!

post #138792 of 153009
Previous
Next
 
 
post #138793 of 153009

Someone called this a Curtis Hanson thriller gone completely batshit.

 

post #138794 of 153009

Can't decide if I should go see FIGHT CLUB tonight on the midnight big-screen.  I'm torn between seeing it yet again (I watched it in theaters several times, just watched the blu-ray a few months ago) and staying home, dreadfully solitary but comfy.

 

I am Engineer's total lack of motivation.

post #138795 of 153009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post
 

Another aspect of the book I enjoy is that the reviews are written by folks who like low and mid-budget action films. It's not full of snotty and ironic poser speak. They certainly don't like all the movies that are reviewed, but they approach them with the hope they'll be entertaining.

 

To me, that definitely sounds like a huge positive.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

Luc Besson gets fined $500,000 for LOCKOUT

 

The film was a disappointment. But i kinda liked Guy Pierce's character. Would've watched more adventures with him.

 

I can't complain about Guy's performance; I'm sure it wasn't his idea to have every one of his lines be a joke.

 

I wasn't a fan of the movie either by any means and it certainly was "inspired" by EFNY, but I hope this decision doesn't set a dangerous precedent when it comes to similar cases in the future.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

Speaking of Costner...

 

Belated Anniversary Shout Out: On This Day [Yesterday] 21 Yrs. Ago ...

 

Previous

 

As I am me, I still have the Extended Version of the movie on DVD, waiting to be watched.

 

Today I did go out and about. I could have done some things but decided to be relatively low-key. I went to a Barnes & Noble and yes I looked at their Criterion section to see what was available as their sale is about over. Whether I would have gotten something there is irrelevant as I never saw any employees in that section of the store so even if I were to get something... I shouldn't have to track someone down to do it, you know. That did not start my journey on a good note.

 

However, I then went pretty much next door to a quick service place known as Noodles & Company; it was my virgin experience there. Even the regular meal I had was a large bowl full of macaroni & cheese so I brought the rest home. I then went to a nearby WORLD OF BEER, which I know will make some happy. I was only there a short time to have two porter beers; I can say from the past that Terrapin (from the land of Fat Elvis in Athens, Georgia) makes some good beer, and their Liquid Bliss is just that, as it's a chocolate peanut butter porter. So thankfully this day turned out fine overall.

post #138796 of 153009
I just saw FIGHT CLUB in 35mm about a week ago and didn't really care about it.
post #138797 of 153009

First time viewing?

post #138798 of 153009
It was my second on the big screen. Love the film! But the last was a midnight showing, I had been drinking all evening so I was pretty tired.
post #138799 of 153009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post



Previous


Next




 

 



I like to imagine this was without a hint of irony.
post #138800 of 153009

Seeing Fight Club on the big screen last week was something I've wanted to do for years. That was a big gap that was finally filled. I didn't even care that it was a digital projection and not 35mm. I got to see it on the big screen, and it wasn't a blu-ray or dvd version.

 

Did quite a bit last night and today. Last night I completed 3 assignments between the two classes I have in order to have the weekend to myself, barring one or two small things to do. Then today I cleaned out my car and vacuumed it. After that, I went to pick up Renata, and then we went by the comic shop and then to Chick-FIl-A to have some delicious food. We then went to Target to walk around, but we didn't get anything. Came back and put together another shelf I got from Amazon, and now all of my blu-rays are no longer in bins. Pretty sure tomorrow or sunday I'll start going through all of my dvds so I can see what I intend to get rid of. Don't know if I'll try to sell them to FYE, or just give them away, since this stuff usually doesn't get a whole lot of money anyway. Told Vanessa to ask co-workers if they wanted any. Some time back, I sold a whole box full of dvds to one of her co-workers for $50. Cleaned up the room that I have those shelves in too and moved some stuff around. Did my daily running, and then came back inside to revisit Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. It's still a great film.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Films in Release or On Video
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › Films in Release or On Video › The B Action Movie Thread