CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › Films in Release or On Video › The B Action Movie Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The B Action Movie Thread - Page 2779

post #138901 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post

I've been thinking about revisiting Elysium since I did like it when I blind bought the blu-ray. Especially since Damon has the best name never used for a Sylvester Stallone character. MAX DA COSTA.

 

I'll admit that was a funny name.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

A little disappointed by the negative reaction Suicide Squad is getting.

 

Oh man, that movie... all the outrage it's gotten already, either from people upset that it's apparently a pile of shit or those nerds that are actually angry at the critics who hate it, because they think that the movie IS great without having seen it for some irrational reason.

post #138902 of 148326

Whoa, would love to be a fly on the wall of this set:

 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mel-gibson-sean-penn-star-915878

 

Quote:
After nearly two decades, Mel Gibson is ready to bring the best-seller The Professor and the Madman to the big screen and has enlisted Sean Penn in the effort.

 

Gibson, who acquired the film rights to the Simon Winchester book back in 1998, is poised to star opposite Penn, who is in negotiations, in the true story of the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary — a tale that delves into madness, genius and two obsessive men who changed the course of literary history.

 

Though Gibson had long developed Professor and the Madman as a directing vehicle, he has handed the reins to his Apocalypto writer Farhad Safinia, who is set to direct the film. Gibson will play Professor James Murray, who in 1857 set about compiling the OED, one of the most ambitious projects ever undertaken. Penn will play Dr. W.C. Minor, who submitted more than 10,000 entries but also was an inmate at an asylum for the criminally insane. Safinia wrote the screenplay, while Todd Komarnicki and John Boorman penned an earlier draft.

post #138903 of 148326

Just wanted to chime in: I finally got to see THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (1974) last night.  Great, fun thriller with a really dark sense of humor to it that I really appreciated.  Loved the ending with Mathau giving 'the look' to Martin Balsam.  

 

I'm curious...how's the Travolta/Washington remake?  Worth the effort or skippable?

post #138904 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
 

 

Have you tried LibreOffice? It's versatile, free, and can save as Word.

 

 

Haven't tried that one before. I can save documents as Word files in Open Office. It's just this "Changes" feature that won't save the comments that I add. Thanks for recommending that though. I'll definitely give it a look.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

A Bit of Random: The Current State of the Top of My Queue:

 

1. AMERICAN STRAYS (Very Long Wait)

2,. MODERN VAMPIRES (Very Long Wait)

3. RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD II ( Very Long Wait)

4.  KICKED IN THE HEAD (Very Long Wait)

5. CRACK HOUSE (Very Long Wait)

6.  THE PRINCIPAL

7. ALMOST HUMAN (movie, not TV show)

8. BAD LIEUTENANT

9.  DEADFALL (Cage)

10. BORN TO KILL

11. GIANT (Blu)

12.  THE DARK BACKWARD (Short Wait)

13. HOMICIDE

14. SILKWOOD

15. HEAVEN ('98)

16. SURVIVAL QUEST

17.  HEART CONDITION

18. PERSONAL BEST

19. LOOKER

20. MEMOIRS OF AN INVISIBLE MAN

21. BREAKING POINT ('78)

22. YOUNGBLOOD

23. FOREVER YOUNG

24. BIRD ON A WIRE

25. BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW (Blu)

 

You guys still doing the Disc service: what are your flicks at the top?

 

 

5 movies I have on dvd there that I found while recently scrounging through my bins, and several are the (short/long) wait ones on there. I'm hearing Return Of The Living Dead Part II may have a blu release via Warner Archive.

 

 

I love the disc service. Wish I could upgrade from just getting one dvd at a time, but it's not in the home budget right now to do that. Here's to top of my list.

 

1. Final Stab

2. Twinky (Bronson!)

3. Berberian Sound Studio

4. Big Girls Don't Cry...They Get Even (the trailer for this movie was on EVERY Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II vhs tape)

5. Blood Feast

6. Two Thousand Maniacs

7. Wizard Of Gore

8. The Transporter Refueled

9. Emanuelle In Bangkok

10. Beowulf (Lambert version)

11. Top Secret!

12. Mahakaal: The Monster (short wait for CANTEEN)

13. The Big Hit

14. The Black Belly Of The Tarantula

15. A Kid In King Arthur's Court (very long wait)

16. Alien Raiders

17. Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun

18. The Hanoi Hilton

19. Firepower

20. Oh, God Book II

21. Affliction (very long wait)

22. Never Cry Wolf (very long wait)

23. Clonus

24. Footsteps (very long wait)

25. The Stickup (very long wait)

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
 

At long last!!

 

From thedigitalbits.com...  Speaking of Lionsgate, the company has announced the long-awaited Blu-Ray release of GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS on 10/11.

We believe this is the first time the title has been available on the format here in the States (it was previously available on BD in Italy, Germany, and elsewhere internationally).

 

Gorgeous film, outstanding performances, dialogue, direction, music.  I'd love to get all the DVD and LD commentaries on there.  Dare to dream.

 

 

 

I may be one of the only people who isn't a big fan of this movie. I saw it once when I blind bought the Artisan dvd, and wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be after hearing so much about the film.

 

 

 

Right now Amazon has the Olive blus of American Ninja 1,2, and 4 for $12.99. No idea why part 3 is still $19.99, but it will hopefully join the others soon at that same price.

 

Just checked Best Buy's site, and all 4 films are on there for $12.99!

post #138905 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

 

I'm curious...how's the Travolta/Washington remake?  Worth the effort or skippable?

 

Travolta is sorta fun and Gandolfini has a couple good scenes as NY's mayor but it's a pretty lackluster film. Not outright bad, mainly forgettable.

post #138906 of 148326
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

I'm curious...how's the Travolta/Washington remake?  Worth the effort or skippable?

 

As far as visually-loud modern-day remakes go, it's not bad.  I've certainly seen worse.  I liked Denzel's everyman rendition more than Travolta's showy mastermind.  It's a decent companion piece to the better-to-me INSIDE MAN by Spike Lee.  

 

 

Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post

I may be one of the only people who isn't a big fan of this movie. I saw it once when I blind bought the Artisan dvd, and wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be after hearing so much about the film.

 

No movie's for everyone, as we say.  I've seen it several times but have listened to it more online.  It makes a solid radio drama.  Check it out, closers...

  

http://www.listentoamovie.com/listen.php?title=Glengarry%20Glen%20Ross%20(1992)&file=/media/./1.%20Movies/G/Glengarry%20Glen%20Ross%20%281992%29.mp3

post #138907 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
 

 

As far as visually-loud modern-day remakes go, it's not bad.  I've certainly seen worse.  I liked Denzel's everyman rendition more than Travolta's showy mastermind.  It's a decent companion piece to the better-to-me INSIDE MAN by Spike Lee.  

 

 

Oooh, interesting.  I really liked INSIDE MAN.

post #138908 of 148326
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Oooh, interesting.  I really liked INSIDE MAN.

 

A compare/contrast of the two PELHAM films (not the TV version, it seems).  Best for people who have seen both already.  So, um...  "Spoilers follow."  :)

 

 

 

Travolta:  "Lick my bunghole, motherfucker!"

Matthau:  "Gezhundheit."

post #138909 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post

 

I may be one of the only people who isn't a big fan of this movie. I saw it once when I blind bought the Artisan dvd, and wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be after hearing so much about the film.

 

This is undoubtedly one of the films that gets better with each viewing.  Now you know what it is rather than what it's not, give it another shot.

 

It was love at first sight for me, but I was late to the party; I saw it 1999. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
 

Play this Martial Arts Movie Quiz.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/martial-arts/257530/how-well-do-you-know-martial-arts-movies

 

It was 15/20 for me.

 

Not to boast or anything, but I got 20/20.

 

The Tori Amos answer was a complete guess, mind you. 

post #138910 of 148326
post #138911 of 148326

When is Vern going to review SNIPER 6? When is anyone going to review SNIPER 6? So far the only reviews I found are on message boards for firearm-enthusiasts.

post #138912 of 148326

Manlymovie reviewed it recently,

post #138913 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

Just wanted to chime in: I finally got to see THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (1974) last night.  Great, fun thriller with a really dark sense of humor to it that I really appreciated.  Loved the ending with Mathau giving 'the look' to Martin Balsam.  

 

I'm curious...how's the Travolta/Washington remake?  Worth the effort or skippable?

 

The original PELHAM is a genre masterpiece, but the remake holds its own as a slick Thriller and modern New York snapshot. Travolta is a lot of fun, Denzel is in everyman mode, and its directed with Tony Scott's assured hand. I'm a fan.

 

Also worth a look: late 90's TV remake is available on double disc with RUNAWAY TRAIN. Pretty good cast: Edward James Olmos, Donnie Wahlberg, Lorraine Bracco, and Vincent D’Onofrio.


Edited by Fat Elvis - 8/3/16 at 4:29pm
post #138914 of 148326

Now Playing: FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH

 

Damone: "I mean don't just walk in. You move across the room. And you don't talk to her. You use your face. You use your body. You use everything. That's what I do. I mean I just send out this vibe and I have personally found that women do respond. I mean, something happens."

"Well, naturally something happens. I mean, you put the vibe out to 30 million chicks, something is gonna happen."

Damone: "That's the idea, Rat. That's the attitude."

"The attitude?"

Damone: "Yeah! The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude."

post #138915 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I love the disc service. Wish I could upgrade from just getting one dvd at a time, but it's not in the home budget right now to do that. Here's to top of my list.

 

1. Final Stab

2. Twinky (Bronson!)

3. Berberian Sound Studio

4. Big Girls Don't Cry...They Get Even (the trailer for this movie was on EVERY Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II vhs tape)

5. Blood Feast

6. Two Thousand Maniacs

7. Wizard Of Gore

8. The Transporter Refueled

9. Emanuelle In Bangkok

10. Beowulf (Lambert version)

11. Top Secret!

12. Mahakaal: The Monster (short wait for CANTEEN)

13. The Big Hit

14. The Black Belly Of The Tarantula

15. A Kid In King Arthur's Court (very long wait)

16. Alien Raiders

17. Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun

18. The Hanoi Hilton

19. Firepower

20. Oh, God Book II

21. Affliction (very long wait)

22. Never Cry Wolf (very long wait)

23. Clonus

24. Footsteps (very long wait)

25. The Stickup (very long wait)

 

 

 

 

 

 

CLONUS is something I haven't thought of since childhood. Added that one.

 

Video Store has NEVER CRY WOLF. I've been thinking of revisting. Another I haven't seen since childhood.  The same director did THE BLACK STALLION, which your daughter might find slow or she could get completely swept up in its mood. Might be worth taking a chance on.

 

Netflix says I watched THE STICK UP in 2012. It's Rowdy + Spader, but for some reason I can't remember my take.

 

Which FOOTSTEPS? The Candy Bergen flick? And what's the word on FIREPOWER?

post #138916 of 148326

Vern's enthusiasm for  THE TRUST has me wanting to give it another go when I have less drama in my life. And now that I know what to expect with regards to tonal shift.

 

Still, comparisons of the filmmakers to the Coens feels like a reach.

post #138917 of 148326

"DEATH WISH II BOASTS THE AWESOMEST INTRO THEME EVER RECORDED" - ZODIAC MOTHERFUCKER

post #138918 of 148326

Get these signed Drew Struzan BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA Posters.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/you-can-finally-own-the-ultimate-version-of-this-iconic-1784730604

 

post #138919 of 148326

"Kurt Russell made his film debut at age 10 by kicking Presley in the shin in 'It Happened at the World’s Fair', 1963"

 

post #138920 of 148326

The DVD Savant recounts THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKAROO BANZAI ACROSS THE 8th DIMENSION:

 

http://trailersfromhell.com/the-adventures-of-buckaroo-banzai-bt8thd/#.V6KbPtFTGM-

 

post #138921 of 148326

Birthday Shout Out: Happy Birthday to John Landis, who like someone else said, basically raised me with his movies. In Celebration/ Tribute My Top 10 Favorites!

 

1. THE BLUES BROTHERS

2.  AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON

3. ANIMAL HOUSE

4.. KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE

5. INTO THE NIGHT

6.  TRADING PLACES

7. SPIES LIKE US

8. ¡THREE AMIGOS!

9. COMING TO AMERICA

10. AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON

 

I've been meaning to re-watch OSCAR for a while now. As well as INNOCENT BLOOD. Have never seen BURKE & HARE.


Edited by Fat Elvis - 8/3/16 at 7:03pm
post #138922 of 148326
I watched the stallone classic nighthawks tonight gotta love that ending, I also watched gary daniels in bloodmoon which was a great film R.I.P. darren shahlavi the asskicking villain and american streetfighter which was a truly terrible film save for the fight scenes. Is there any good Ian Jacklin films as he was awful in this going to check out recoil and rage next in my Gary Daniels film marathon
post #138923 of 148326

1. Trading Places

2. Into the Night

3. An American Werewolf in London

4. The Blues Brothers

5. National Lampoon's Animal House

6. Spies Like Us

7. Innocent Blood

8. Amazon Women on the Moon

9. The Kentucky Fried Movie

10. Coming to America

 

I've amazingly never seen Three Amigos! all the way through, nor Oscar. I kind of like The StupidsBlues Brothers 2000 is a letdown. Beverly Hills Cop III is a near-unspeakable disaster that I'm pretty sure everyone involved will happily write off.

post #138924 of 148326

Elvis, you'll probably eat this up. Landis was supposed to make a vampire movie for WB and Joel Silver called Red Sleep starring Wayne Newton as a Vegas lounge singer who gets bitten and seduced by a vampire. Meanwhile, Jack Sholder was supposed to do Innocent Blood with Lara Flynn Boyle and Dennis Hopper. Oscar killed Landis' bid on Red Sleep and Hudson Hawk plus Boy Scout sent Silver for Lethal Weapon 3, I think. Landis came in and recast Parillaud and Loggia in Boyle and Hopper's places.

 

Hopper would've been SO good in that part, screaming about how calzones come out of microwaves like limp dicks. I think Murphy got attached to Red Sleep before Vampire in Brooklyn too.

post #138925 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post

Whoa, would love to be a fly on the wall of this set:

 

Indeed. I hope the movie turns out well as it's about a real life traffic I know nothing about, but those two explosive personalities on the set... I hope things don't go sour.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Just wanted to chime in: I finally got to see THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (1974) last night.

 

Nice. That is a memorable and entertaining film and I am glad I've seen it a few times.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

"DEATH WISH II BOASTS THE AWESOMEST INTRO THEME EVER RECORDED" - ZODIAC MOTHERFUCKER

 

I still don't quite get Zodiac Motherfucker in general or why he's popular, but Who's To Blame is definitely a memorable and catchy song.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

"Kurt Russell made his film debut at age 10 by kicking Presley in the shin in 'It Happened at the World’s Fair', 1963"

 

That is an Elvis movie I still need to see; Kurt shin kicking The King is a great reason right there to check it out.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

Birthday Shout Out: Happy Birthday to John Landis

 

He is now 66 years old. My list wouldn't be too different; mainly for nostalgia I'd probably have Coming to America higher. Then again, I haven't watched the non TV version of it in many years.

post #138926 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post
 

1. Trading Places

2. Into the Night

3. An American Werewolf in London

4. The Blues Brothers

5. National Lampoon's Animal House

6. Spies Like Us

7. Innocent Blood

8. Amazon Women on the Moon

9. The Kentucky Fried Movie

10. Coming to America

 

I've amazingly never seen Three Amigos! all the way through, nor Oscar. I kind of like The StupidsBlues Brothers 2000 is a letdown. Beverly Hills Cop III is a near-unspeakable disaster that I'm pretty sure everyone involved will happily write off.

 

AMIGOS has really grown on me. It was never my preferred Chevy, but now I love it.

post #138927 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post
 

Elvis, you'll probably eat this up. Landis was supposed to make a vampire movie for WB and Joel Silver called Red Sleep starring Wayne Newton as a Vegas lounge singer who gets bitten and seduced by a vampire. Meanwhile, Jack Sholder was supposed to do Innocent Blood with Lara Flynn Boyle and Dennis Hopper. Oscar killed Landis' bid on Red Sleep and Hudson Hawk plus Boy Scout sent Silver for Lethal Weapon 3, I think. Landis came in and recast Parillaud and Loggia in Boyle and Hopper's places.

 

Hopper would've been SO good in that part, screaming about how calzones come out of microwaves like limp dicks. I think Murphy got attached to Red Sleep before Vampire in Brooklyn too.

 

A Landis/ Silver joint would've been super cool!

post #138928 of 148326

On This Day 38 Years Ago ...

 

post #138929 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

 

A Landis/ Silver joint would've been super cool!

 

With Wayne Newton starring to boot!

post #138930 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macintosh Spice View Post
I watched the stallone classic nighthawks tonight gotta love that ending, I also watched gary daniels in bloodmoon which was a great film R.I.P. darren shahlavi the asskicking villain and american streetfighter which was a truly terrible film save for the fight scenes. Is there any good Ian Jacklin films as he was awful in this going to check out recoil and rage next in my Gary Daniels film marathon

 

Yeah, Nighthawks is pretty neat. I've never seen any Ian Jacklin films; I had to go on IMDb to look him up. I see he was another one of those who was a talented martial artist that someone tried to make the next action star and even in the direct to VHS world it did not happen. I should probably try to track down one or two of his flicks, as I imagine they'd be great for laughs if nothing else. I am sure you'll enjoy both Recoil and Rage a lot more.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post

Elvis, you'll probably eat this up. Landis was supposed to make a vampire movie for WB and Joel Silver called Red Sleep starring Wayne Newton as a Vegas lounge singer who gets bitten and seduced by a vampire. Meanwhile, Jack Sholder was supposed to do Innocent Blood with Lara Flynn Boyle and Dennis Hopper. 

 

Both of those films I'd love to see, especially one where Wayne Newton becomes a lounge singer vampire, as it sounds incredible.

 

Today, what I did was go into Orlando in order to visit a few places. The main one I'll mention is Total Wine & More. I got only darker beers, as that is a new world for me. Some of them are even stouts; Guinness isn't something I dig but hopefully the ones I got are more to my tastes. I also walked around a small mall for a bit, but I only got a random lemonade drink from a stand to drink on the way home.

post #138931 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Weapon View Post
 

 

 

 

He is now 66 years old. My list wouldn't be too different; mainly for nostalgia I'd probably have Coming to America higher. Then again, I haven't watched the non TV version of it in many years.

 

COMING TO AMERICA was a huge one for me in HS. But for whatever reason, maybe just wearing it out, doesn't play as quite awesomely as it did back in the day.

 

TRADING PLACES on the other hand still sings.

post #138932 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macintosh Spice View Post
 going to check out recoil and rage next in my Gary Daniels film marathon

 

Don't forget RIOT. Maybe not quite as good as RAGE and RECOIL but Patrick Kilpatrick's Irish accent has to be heard to be believed.

post #138933 of 148326

Wasn't Gary Daniel's character supposed to an Ex-Expendable in TE1? Always wondered why they changed it.

post #138934 of 148326

Current Mood:

 

Previous
Next
 
 
post #138935 of 148326

My Landis round-up:

 

Top Shelf:  KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE, ANIMAL HOUSE, THE BLUES BROTHERS, AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, TRADING PLACES, INTO THE NIGHT, TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE, AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON...  (That's a hell of a full top shelf!)

 

A Close Second:  SPIES LIKE US, INNOCENT BLOOD, THREE AMIGOS

 

Fair to Middlin':  COMING TO AMERICA, OSCAR, BLUES BROTHERS 2000, SUSAN'S PLAN

 

Still Haven't Seen:  SCHLOCK, THE STUPIDS, BURKE & HARE, SLASHER, MASTERS OF HORROR: FAMILY

 

Let Us Never Speak Of Them Again:  BEVERLY HILLS COP III, MASTERS OF HORROR: DEER WOMAN

 

Once at a movie fan convention I was lucky enough to have met John Landis.  After waiting in line for maybe ten minutes at a meet and greet, I was short a few bucks for an autograph but I just smiled, shook his hand and said, "I can't really afford an autograph or anything but I just wanted to shake your hand and thank you for all the decades of great work."  He was very cool about it and we briefly spoke about blues music and John Lee Hooker as I had just revisited the extended cut of THE BLUES BROTHERS with the extra Hooker material.  Very nice guy.  This was the same convention at which I met Gunnar "Leatherface" Hansen.  Also, this whole story reminds me that I still need to read the book about Landis that I picked up a couple of years back that's still gathering dust on the ol' shelf.

 

post #138936 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

Birthday Shout Out: Happy Birthday to John Landis, who like someone else said, basically raised me with his movies. In Celebration/ Tribute My Top 10 Favorites!

1. THE BLUES BROTHERS
2.  AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON
3. ANIMAL HOUSE
4.. KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE
5. INTO THE NIGHT
6.  TRADING PLACES
7. SPIES LIKE US
8. ¡THREE AMIGOS!
9. COMING TO AMERICA
10. AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON

I've been meaning to re-watch OSCAR for a while now. As well as INNOCENT BLOOD. Have never seen BURKE & HARE.

I like to think after the disasterous controversy that was his Twilight Zone segment, he opted to take on Spies Like Us since he could spend some time far, far away from the states.
post #138937 of 148326

Damone is a role model, but his advice of making out to Led Zeppelin IV is baffling wrongheaded.

post #138938 of 148326

Engineer: you like Landis' segment of THE TWILIGHT ZONE?

post #138939 of 148326

FAST TIMES: Sean Penn's stoned driving scene is brilliant.

post #138940 of 148326

One life lesson from FAST TIMES: you better always lock the door if you're going to jerk off. Nothing more humiliating than to pull a Judge Reinhold.

 

<THE CHOCOLATE WAR scared me off even more>

post #138941 of 148326

I'm not to crazy about Coming To America, but this is fried gold. Makes me want to take out my dvd of the movie.

 

post #138942 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

Damone is a role model, but his advice of making out to Led Zeppelin IV is baffling wrongheaded.

 

 

He's a prick, he drives a Gremlin, and he pretends to be a lothario when he's really a guy who can't even give a girl more than 30 seconds worth.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

One life lesson from FAST TIMES: you better always lock the door if you're going to jerk off. Nothing more humiliating than to pull a Judge Reinhold.

 

<THE CHOCOLATE WAR scared me off even more>

 

 

Now there's a role model. Talks shit to a bastard customer, gets fired, quits his other bullshit job, then becomes manager of the convenience store. Awesome! Totally awesome, Hamilton!

 

Besides, Phoebe Cates should be flattered he's jacking off to her. Lots of guys did in real life to that scene. 34 years later, and I bet Moving In Stereo playing on Sirius or Pandora brings back embarrassing memories for a lot of guys.

post #138943 of 148326

Oh Eddie. Why did you decide to stop being funny?

post #138944 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

On This Day 38 Years Ago ...

 

I haven't seen it since right before Piranha 3D came out but it's a movie I did enjoy seeing; it was a lot of fun in a low budget way.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

COMING TO AMERICA was a huge one for me in HS. But for whatever reason, maybe just wearing it out, doesn't play as quite awesomely as it did back in the day.

 

That sounds understandable. Seeing it now, I may not love it but I hope I can still find it entertaining aside from howling at moments like a topless woman telling Eddie Murphy, "The royal penis is clean."

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post

Don't forget RIOT. Maybe not quite as good as RAGE and RECOIL but Patrick Kilpatrick's Irish accent has to be heard to be believed.

 

I've never seen it but I have to laugh at the irony of someone named PATRICK KILPATRICK not being able to do an Irish accent that you can believe.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

Damone is a role model, but his advice of making out to Led Zeppelin IV is baffling wrongheaded.

 

That does sound odd; I can't imagine necking to Four Sticks, for example. Maybe one of those blues songs, sure... like Since I've Been Loving You or the strikingly similar Tea For One. I think there are more appropriate rock bands where you can passionately make out to their entire albums.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

One life lesson from FAST TIMES: you better always lock the door if you're going to jerk off. Nothing more humiliating than to pull a Judge Reinhold.

 

As another 80's movie told me (and man, 80's movies are great in general), you should lock the door then when someone asks why you spent so much time in there, say that you were COMBING YOUR HAIR.

 

Tonight I decided to relax instead of watching anything. I felt like having a few beers so that's what I did... and am currently still doing. I've heard many good things about Left Hand Milk Stout. I can say that Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro is quite good.

post #138945 of 148326
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

Engineer: you like Landis' segment of THE TWILIGHT ZONE?

 

Yep.  I always like a story when a bastard gets what's coming to him.  I thoroughly enjoy the Miller, Dante and Spielberg segments too.  I think Landis also directed the Aykroyd/Albert Brooks bookends too, didn't he?  'Cause I love those opening driving shots set against CCR's "Midnight Special."  They set the tone brilliantly.

 

From Wikipedia on the Morrow sequence:  Originally, this segment was supposed to end with Bill returning back to his own time after redeeming himself by saving the lives of two Vietnamese children during a helicopter raid on their village. 

 

Sounds interesting, but what we ended up with is so much more dark and even terrifying.  My friends and I saw the film in it's theatrical run, as it was playing at the same time as SUPERMAN III which we couldn't get into due to being sold out.  We were twelve or thirteen years old and didn't know anything about the business or the Morrow tragedy, so we just saw the movie as it played without any behind-the-scenes baggage and man, that Morrow sequence ending stayed with me a long while.

post #138946 of 148326

THE WILD LIFE: Chris Penn is pure charisma and slacker cool. Lea Thompson is crushworhy level 1000. Hart Bochner gives William Atherton a run for creep of the decade. And Eric Stoltz! With Ilan Mitchell-Smith, movie gets Gen X's looking for a connection with Boomer culture and turning backwards for heroes.

 

Also Edward Van Halen soundtrack!

post #138947 of 148326

Don't forget Moranis and the Quaid!

 

post #138948 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
 

 

Yep.  I always like a story when a bastard gets what's coming to him.  I thoroughly enjoy the Miller, Dante and Spielberg segments too.  I think Landis also directed the Aykroyd/Albert Brooks bookends too, didn't he?  'Cause I love those opening driving shots set against CCR's "Midnight Special."  They set the tone brilliantly.

 

From Wikipedia on the Morrow sequence:  Originally, this segment was supposed to end with Bill returning back to his own time after redeeming himself by saving the lives of two Vietnamese children during a helicopter raid on their village. 

 

Sounds interesting, but what we ended up with is so much more dark and even terrifying.  

 

 

After how he is during the opening part, it's also really hard to imagine him doing a 360 and not being an asshole racist. It's also the only segment that has a downbeat ending, as even the Miller segment has everyone realizing that Lithgow was right about the Gremlin on the plane.

 

 

I'm finally getting around to watching a movie from the Vincent Price Collection III. Master Of The World. Co-starring Charles Bronson! Bronson is one of the leads, and Price plays the bad guy. He's got a flying ship that he uses to destroy warships because he wants peace in the world. He's a lunatic, and Price plays the role well. I'd never heard of the movie before, but it's alright.

post #138949 of 148326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macready View Post

 

Not to boast or anything, but I got 20/20.

 

The Tori Amos answer was a complete guess, mind you. 

Nice work Mac.  I'm with Felix.  I got 15 out of 20 as well.  Missed a couple that I should have absolutely known.  

post #138950 of 148326

Director Fan Cast:  

What four/five modern filmmakers would you like to see make a new TWILIGHT ZONE film?

Mine would be...

 

1. David Robert Mitchell

2. Rian Johnson

3. Jennifer Kent

4. Edgar Wright

5. James Gunn

 

Alternates:  Jonathan Glazer, The Coen Brothers, David Fincher, Martin Scorsese, Quentin Tarantino (bookends)

Old-School Geek Choices:  John Carpenter, Steven Spielberg, Joe Dante, George Miller and John Landis (bookends)

 

(Related: Years ago, I conjectured "the great crime film."  It would've then been written in thirty minute segments by Elmore Leonard, Richard Price, Tarantino and David Mamet and directed by Scorsese.)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Films in Release or On Video
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › Films in Release or On Video › The B Action Movie Thread