CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › Films in Release or On Video › The B Action Movie Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The B Action Movie Thread - Page 2956

post #147751 of 152265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post

I'm very lucky to still have this FYE

 

Yeah, there's a company that I am amazed is still around, considering they closed many of their stores a long while ago and they somehow are still hanging on. I also know the feeling of some malls in the area doing poorly and having many vacant lots... and I also had a decent amount of rain last week, but it's needed as the area has experienced a drought until recently, not even getting 1/3 the usual amount of rain.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post
I saw a Gene Hackman movie called Extreme Measures in the theater when I was 15 that I haven't seen since. 

 

I think most people have forgotten about it, and it's a Michael Apted joint. It can be rented online; if I do that myself, it'd be my first-ever viewing.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post

the local midnight show on 35mm of Joel Schumacher's THE LOST BOYS (1987). 

 

It sounds like you had a great time with that movie, and a great Saturday night in general. It sure beat mine, watching random television and relaxing before seeing something on TCM Underground: The Muthers. This was Filipino sleaze from 1976 by the late director Cirio H. Santiago. I know people here and elsewhere have praised it. I hoped I would like it, but I was not a fan of the director's T.N.T. Jackson. Thankfully, while this was technically not a good movie, it was greatly entertaining and enjoyable. It managed to combine a pirate movie, martial arts, women in prison, blaxploitation, and a jungle exploitation flick. There was action, nudity, wacky dialogue, odd moments... while not something that I would say was "awesome", I am glad I finally saw this movie.

post #147752 of 152265
Perfect Weapon....Extreme Measures is dull dull dull. It'd only be worth watching to get another Hackman performance....which, I guess I couldn't begrudge anybody wanting to watch it for that reason alone. But seriously, it's dull story, shot and told in a dull way. That's how my 15 year old mind perceived it (and even then I liked me some Hackman because back in the day even us young 'uns knew what was up) and I'm just about certain I'd feel the same now..
post #147753 of 152265
Extreme Measures reminds me of Hugh Grant. And HE reminds me I saw Nine Months in the theatre and NEVER AGAIN.
post #147754 of 152265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call Me Roy View Post

Extreme Measures reminds me of Hugh Grant. And HE reminds me I saw Nine Months in the theatre and NEVER AGAIN.

 

I saw that theatrically too. I remember the bit with Hugh Grant and Tom Arnold fending off that aggressive Barney knockoff being funny, but I better remember the teaser for Strange Days playing beforehand.

 

I've been listening to the audiobook for The Friedkin Connection. Highly recommended. Billy's a fascinating guy whose storytelling is amplified by his amusing Chicago accent. Among other things, you'll learn:

 

He loves going on tangents about film history. They're delightful.

 

Owing to his documentary origins, he hates auditions and usually casts on looks and demeanor.

 

Friedkin has a strong connection to Jaws, having worked with Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, cinematographer Bill Butler, and Richard Zanuck in his early career.

 

Sonny Bono seemed like a decent guy back in the day. Cher was basically Bridget Fonda's character in Jackie Brown in the 60's.

 

Alfred Hitchcock is a genius, but a condescending jackass whose disdains Friedkin's casual work attire.

 

Robert Shaw caught Friedkin shooting hoops and derided basketball as "a sissy game." The next day, Shaw gets high on pride and challenges him to a free throw challenge, loses, then calls for a ping-pong showdown. He loses to Friedkin, a youth ping-pong champion, again. Basically, Shaw was just playing himself when he was Quint.

 

I'm on the rather epic French Connection chapter right now. It's small potatoes compared to some of his later shoots, but I hadn't realized how intense production was on this. One of the writers of Point Blank wrote an unused draft of the script.

 

Hackman was boorish even then and really had to be pushed by Friedkin to tap into Popeye's mentality. Friedkin also didn't see the character in him at first. We all know Peter Boyle turned it down, but JACKIE GLEASON was the first choice. Fox hated him over Gigot, the film that sank his career in the industry for over a decade after his success in The Hustler. Then writer Jimmy Breslin, not an actor, was close to casting, shot it down, and Hackman came on. Insane he turned out as iconic as he did.

 

The transportation head that got them the coverage they needed to do the train parts of the car chase asked for $40,000 and a one-way ticket to Jamaica because he would get fired for what he let them do.

 

At the time of casting, Roy Scheider was playing a chain-smoking nun in an off-Broadway play.

 

Fernando Rey was cast by accident.

 

Friedkin hated the gunshot effects Fox had in their library. With the sound mixers, they recorded new ones with a shotgun. The head of Fox flips out on him for disturbing the lot with the noise. Friedkin tells him the stock sounds suck. And then the guy flips...

 

God... DAMN YOU! I RECORDED THOSE GUNSHOTS MYSELF, FOR BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID! THEY'RE GOOD ENOUGH FOR BUTCH CASSIDY, BUT NOT BILL FRIEDKIN!?!?!??!

 

I can't wait to get further into this and revisit his work. I highly recommend going with the audio version as well.

 

I'm also reminded that The French Connection is one of less than a dozen Best Picture winners that actually was the best thing released that year.

post #147755 of 152265
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Weapon View Post

 

It sounds like you had a great time with that movie, and a great Saturday night in general. It sure beat mine, watching random television and relaxing before seeing something on TCM Underground: The Muthers. This was Filipino sleaze from 1976 by the late director Cirio H. Santiago. I know people here and elsewhere have praised it. I hoped I would like it, but I was not a fan of the director's T.N.T. Jackson. Thankfully, while this was technically not a good movie, it was greatly entertaining and enjoyable. It managed to combine a pirate movie, martial arts, women in prison, blaxploitation, and a jungle exploitation flick. There was action, nudity, wacky dialogue, odd moments... while not something that I would say was "awesome", I am glad I finally saw this movie.

 

 

This is so weird that this is twice in about two days I've seen someone somewhere post about The Muthers. The other was on a collectors trading and selling group I'm a member of on FB since people were showing off their Vinegar Syndrome orders, and they put the film out on dvd. I bought it last year, and I know I mentioned it on here that it's a solid and pretty fun Filipino action sleazefest. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post
 

I've been listening to the audiobook for The Friedkin Connection. Highly recommended. Billy's a fascinating guy whose storytelling is amplified by his amusing Chicago accent. Among other things, you'll learn:

 

 

Man, that is all great stuff. The only part that you mentioned that I knew of previously was about Fernando Rey. Friedkin wanted to cast Francisco Rabal since he'd seen him in a movie before, but the casting director got him Fernando Rey instead. Turned out well for him as Francisco Rabal didn't know English, and even though Fernando Rey didn't know French, they worked around that. At least we all know Friedkin eventually worked with Rabal on Sorcerer.

 

I can only imagine Shaw going up to Friedkin while he was playing basketball and saying "Stop playing with yourself, Friedkin."

 

 

 

Doing laundry right now and while I was going to continue playing Silent Hill, I decided to revisit one of the best zombie films of all time in the original Dawn Of The Dead. I've made it no secret that over the years I've become more a fan of Day Of The Dead, and that one has become my favorite film in that particular franchise. Still, Dawn Of The Dead is a classic, and a whole lot of gory fun with plenty of comedy in it.

post #147756 of 152265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post
Perfect Weapon....Extreme Measures is dull dull dull. 

 

Oh, that is unfortunate. I won't be in a rush to see it then.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post

I've been listening to the audiobook for The Friedkin Connection. Highly recommended. 

 

Those are great stories.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post

This is so weird that this is twice in about two days I've seen someone somewhere post about The Muthers.

 

Wacky. I seemed to remember that you had seen it before; as it's a women in prison film, I naturally presume that you've seen many of them.

 

Today I've done nothing, and I doubt I'll watch anything tonight. I'll do other things instead.

post #147757 of 152265

A BOY AND HIS DOG

 

http://thenewbev.com/blog/2017/05/a-boy-and-his-dog/

 

L.Q. on Don Johnson as Vic: " “we did over 600 tests with men for the part, before we found Don [Johnson]. It was a tough role – as an actor you don’t want to get into a scene with a child or a dog. He had to act with a dog that talked that was smarter than him. There’s no doubt in my mind that’s the best thing he ever did and he ever will do.”"

post #147758 of 152265

Ugly...

 

post #147759 of 152265

I really like the look of this.  Cruise needed his own AIR AMERICA or BLOW...

 

 

Plus, some amateur video editor could have fun combining this trailer with THE MUMMY to fashion a story of a pilot smuggling monsters into the country for the CIA.

post #147760 of 152265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

A BOY AND HIS DOG

 

http://thenewbev.com/blog/2017/05/a-boy-and-his-dog/

 

L.Q. on Don Johnson as Vic: " “we did over 600 tests with men for the part, before we found Don [Johnson]. It was a tough role – as an actor you don’t want to get into a scene with a child or a dog. He had to act with a dog that talked that was smarter than him. There’s no doubt in my mind that’s the best thing he ever did and he ever will do.”"

 

Not one sliver of admiration for Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man?

post #147761 of 152265
Holy shit, Shout Factory is doing a collector's edition of Dudes!
post #147762 of 152265

Great news! The Al Pacino as Joe Paterno movie is back on track at HBO (Not with DePalma though):

 

http://deadline.com/2017/06/hbos-joe-paterno-movie-al-pacino-barry-levinson-1202107579/

 

Quote:
Almost two years after HBO hit pause on its film about the Penn State football scandal starring Al Pacino, the project is moving forward with a green light and a new director. Barry Levinson is set to direct and executive produce the movie, reuniting with Pacino and HBO.
post #147763 of 152265
Originally Posted by felix View Post
 

Ugly...

 

 

"CHINA SALESMAN?"  Let me guess:  Seagal is the proprietor of a rare Chinese cookware antique shop and Tyson plays the local bully who will stop at nothing to break every little teacup Seagal has in stock.  Little does Tyson know, Seagal is a former black-ops specialist from Chechnya who imports anger... and exports PAIN!"

post #147764 of 152265

When I bring back the classic detective story, you can bet there'll be one trope I'll be super-glad to bring back with it...

 

post #147765 of 152265
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post

Holy shit, Shout Factory is doing a collector's edition of Dudes!

 

 

That's awesome. Funny I have this streak going of buying used VHS -sometimes at a high price - only to get the DVD/ Blu announcement shortly after. THE PARK IS MINE, THE RESURRECTED. I had just finally broke down and ordered DUDES in March.

post #147766 of 152265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

Saw a topic of discussion that I thought would be a good one for us: name a movie you saw in theatres in the 80's or 90's that you've never seen again.

 

EXPLORERS

 

I'm sure there are others but that's the only one that's popped into my head.

post #147767 of 152265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

Saw a topic of discussion that I thought would be a good one for us: name a movie you saw in theatres in the 80's or 90's that you've never seen again.

 

Dark Crystal.

 

Karate Kid 2.

 

Karate Kid 3.

 

Honey I Shrunk the Kids.

 

Harry and the Hendersons.

 

Teen Wolf 2.

post #147768 of 152265

DON JUAN DEMARCO

post #147769 of 152265

The first 2 that came to mind: WHO'S HARRY CRUMB? + FREEJACK

post #147770 of 152265

I hope to watch FREEJACK again in the near future.

post #147771 of 152265

A Head's Up: I stumbled on that the Blu of Ashby's 8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE is finally coming out on June 20th.

 

Available for pre-order now.

 



Special Features: Interview with Star Andy Garcia | Interview with Star Rosanna Arquette | Interview with Star Alexandra Paul | Interview with Writer Lawrence Block | Audio commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger and Nathaniel Thompson | Trailers

 

 

Bummer no Oliver Stone involvement.

post #147772 of 152265

Re: Movies you saw in theatres in the 80's or 90's that I've never seen again...

 

LIONHEART

CYBORG

FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VIII: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN

SECOND SIGHT

SPEED ZONE

DROP DEAD FRED

CURLY SUE

STAY TUNED

COOL WORLD

SUPER MARIO BROS

END OF DAYS

post #147773 of 152265
post #147774 of 152265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

A Head's Up: I stumbled on that the Blu of Ashby's 8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE is finally coming out on June 20th.

 

Available for pre-order now.

 



Special Features: Interview with Star Andy Garcia | Interview with Star Rosanna Arquette | Interview with Star Alexandra Paul | Interview with Writer Lawrence Block | Audio commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger and Nathaniel Thompson | Trailers

 

 

Bummer no Oliver Stone involvement.

 

I'm on the fence about getting this one. I'm not a huge fan of the movie, but I enjoy the sleazy private eye sub-genre in general and the cast makes me want to own it.

 

The Alexandra Paul interview could sway me toward ordering. Hopefully she's asked how it felt to recite the greatest line in cinema history.

post #147775 of 152265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post
 

DON JUAN DEMARCO

 

This is the last answer I expected from you.

 

One of my best friends and I have a game going where one tries to top the other with who saw the more useless movies in theaters. He has an advantage on age (his vivid memories of seeing King Ralph and Mom and Dad Save the World theatrically never fail to give me a laugh), but I have an advantage on quantity.

 

This list of things, per Elvis' question, is probably longer, but there's a lot I owned on tape that I never got to and/or probably rented when they hit video. These, I know, are the one and dones. Hang tight, there's some rough shit here. In red are the ones I really should go back and watch again.

 

Tom and Jerry: The Movie

The Secret Garden

Junior

Operation Dumbo Drop

The Pallbearer

Phenomenon

One Fine Day

Beverly Hills Ninja

The Beautician and the Beast (fell asleep)

The Pest

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion

The Rainmaker

Spice World

Primary Colors (fell asleep)

City of Angels

Deep Impact

Doctor Dolittle

The Avengers (yes, the Fiennes/Thurman one)

Wrongfully Accused

Ronin

Antz

Practical Magic

The Rugrats Movie

Home Fries

Patch Adams

Stepmom

A Civil Action

My Favorite Martian

Blast from the Past

The Deep End of the Ocean

Forces of Nature

True Crime

Edtv

The Out-of-Towners

Life

Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Wild Wild West

Inspector Gadget

Runaway Bride

The Muse

Superstar

House on Haunted Hill

The Insider

End of Days

Bicentennial Man

Girl, Interrupted

The Talented Mr. Ripley

Man on the Moon

post #147776 of 152265
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post
 

 

This is the last answer I expected from you.

 

It's my fault. I was so excited that Tiny Lister Jr. was in a film playing a character named "Rocco Compton" that I didn't bother to find out anything else about the movie.

post #147777 of 152265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
 

The first 2 that came to mind: WHO'S HARRY CRUMB? + FREEJACK


I haven't watched Freejack since the theater, either.

 

I saw Harry Crumb on home video as a kid a few times.  Since I had fond memories of it, I decided to pop it in for my own kids.  And promptly turned it off about halfway through as I had apparently forgotten about all the sexual innuendo/content.  

post #147778 of 152265
I kinda dig Freejack. It's a weird ass movie and imperfect to be sure but I just find it so oddly watchable. I'd definitely pick up a blu of it if they'd ever produce one..
post #147779 of 152265

I'm the resident Freejack apologist around here.

 

Emilio Estevez tells Mick Jagger that he "couldn't catch the clap in a whorehouse." The power of make-believe!

post #147780 of 152265
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post

I'm the resident Freejack apologist around here.

Emilio Estevez tells Mick Jagger that he "couldn't catch the clap in a whorehouse." The power of make-believe!
Good to meet another Freejack....er. I've always thought that movie was fun underrated pure sci-fi pulp. It's one of the first movies I remember watching and thinking..."this movie wouldn't look the way it does if it weren't for MTV."
post #147781 of 152265
post #147782 of 152265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post


Good to meet another Freejack....er. I've always thought that movie was fun underrated pure sci-fi pulp. It's one of the first movies I remember watching and thinking..."this movie wouldn't look the way it does if it weren't for MTV."

 

It's absurdly fun, although I think the MTV aesthetic had overtaken Hollywood in 1983-84. It was standard practice to have an MTV look in '92.

 

Gotta love that Anthony Hopkins was campaigning in Oscar season when this came out.

post #147783 of 152265
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post

It's absurdly fun, although I think the MTV aesthetic had overtaken Hollywood in 1983-84. It was standard practice to have an MTV look in '92.

Gotta love that Anthony Hopkins was campaigning in Oscar season when this came out.
I was only 11 when I first saw it in the theater. I just meant it was the first one I watched and went "damn...this looks like MTV or something."
post #147784 of 152265

My only memory of Freejack's existence is the usage of Jesus Jones on the soundtrack and that I'd see Reservoir Dogs for the first time in Providence, RI, two weeks later.

post #147785 of 152265

In terms of the soundtrack, best thing in FREEJACK is that song by Scorpions. Killer.

post #147786 of 152265

I wish I liked FREEJACK more.  At the time I was most interested as it was from Geoff Murphy, the director of YOUNG GUNS II, which had a really old-fashioned cinemascope aesthetic.

post #147787 of 152265
Jesus, I'm usually really good about the stuff I check out in theatres, even going back 25+ years but HunterTarantino just hit me upside the head with the nostalgia shovel:

Deep Impact AND Armageddon. (I've been told I should check out the second one again, just for the sheer zaniness)

Junior (saw it with my mom.. So, so, so awful)

The Out-of-Towners (literally remember nothing of this)

Patch Adams (remember thinking how it seemed [TO ME anyway] so obvious that Monica Potters character was introduced just to have her tragically taken away. Baaad movie. Even worse when you read about the real Patch.
post #147788 of 152265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call Me Roy View Post

Jesus, I'm usually really good about the stuff I check out in theatres, even going back 25+ years but HunterTarantino just hit me upside the head with the nostalgia shovel:

Deep Impact AND Armageddon. (I've been told I should check out the second one again, just for the sheer zaniness)

Junior (saw it with my mom.. So, so, so awful)

The Out-of-Towners (literally remember nothing of this)

Patch Adams (remember thinking how it seemed [TO ME anyway] so obvious that Monica Potters character was introduced just to have her tragically taken away. Baaad movie. Even worse when you read about the real Patch.

 

I haven't seen Armageddon since the late 90's. I did see it in the theater, but it's disqualified on the grounds that I saw it again on video and owned the DVD.

 

I have the Criterion DVD from a flea market, which I got for $1 a few years ago.

post #147789 of 152265

I've seen Armageddon over a dozen times since it was released (its always on Cable).

 

Dumb but so so watchable.

post #147790 of 152265
How in sweet crippled Christ does Armageddon get a Criterion release?
post #147791 of 152265

Like most situations in which two very similar movies are released: one's the dumb one and one's the smart one, one's the better directed and one's the lesser...

 

LEVIATHAN and DEEP STAR SIX

VAMP and FRIGHT NIGHT

LIKE FATHER LIKE SON and 18 AGAIN

DANTE'S PEAK and VOLCANO

UNDER SIEGE and PASSENGER 57

FIRESTORM and HARD RAIN

TURNER & HOOCH and K9

1492L CONQUEST OF PARADISE and CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS: THE DISCOVERY

DROP ZONE and TERMINAL VELOCITY

ANTZ and A BUG'S LIFE

MISSION TO MARS and RED PLANET

post #147792 of 152265
Originally Posted by Call Me Roy View Post
How in sweet crippled Christ does Armageddon get a Criterion release?

 

Criterion needs to stay financially afloat, too.  They knew it would sell and it did.  And Bay was probably totally into his work released by the same company that regularly released Bergman, Kurosawa and Hitchcock films for home viewing.  If the proceeds of their ARMAGEDDON set help get stuff like FISHING WITH JOHN and FOR ALL MANKIND released, I'm all for it.

post #147793 of 152265
Engineer! You just reminded me I watched Christopher Columbus: The Discovery in theatres! Peeeeeyew!!
post #147794 of 152265

You didn't enjoy Tom Selleck as King Ferdinand?

 

post #147795 of 152265
Poor Tom Selleck.

Oh snap, lemme also add Lost and Found and The World is not Enough to the list.
Man, I may have seen some shit movies, but at least I've only watched them once!
post #147796 of 152265

I caught both volcano movies, both asteroid movies, and both reality TV show about an average guy movies in the theater.

 

I win something, right?

post #147797 of 152265

Trailer for Discovery Channel's upcoming series Manhunt: Unabomber. Starring Paul Bettany as Ted Kaczynski and Sam Worthington as FBI profiler Jim "Fitz" Fitzgerald:

 

 

Also featuring Michael Nouri(!) and Jane Lynch as Janet Reno.

post #147798 of 152265

Too bad Will Ferrell wasn't available to play Reno.

post #147799 of 152265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

A BOY AND HIS DOG

 

Yep, yet another movie I've known about for years but haven't gotten around to seeing yet.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post

"CHINA SALESMAN?"  Let me guess:

 

If that was the actual plot of the movie, it'd be something I'd actually see.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post

This list of things, per Elvis' question, is probably longer

 

Wow, what a list of movies. Many of which I haven't seen but I certainly remember all of them; it was a blast from the past reading all those titles, as some of those films I hadn't thought about in many years.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

I saw Harry Crumb on home video as a kid a few times.  Since I had fond memories of it, I decided to pop it in for my own kids.  And promptly turned it off about halfway through as I had apparently forgotten about all the sexual innuendo/content.  

 

There's a film I only saw once, and that was at least 25 years ago; I certainly don't remember any sexual innuendo/content... yet I remember the ending. Still, as it can be rented online, maybe that's what I should do.

post #147800 of 152265
"A black belt in Aikido, and the boots to match." or some such nonsense.

Who's Harry Crumb was on HBO allll the time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Films in Release or On Video
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › Films in Release or On Video › The B Action Movie Thread