or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › Films in Release or On Video › The B Action Movie Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The B Action Movie Thread - Page 1824

post #91151 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Weapon View Post

To quote the old Sesame Street song, "One of these things is not like the other things; one of these things just doesn't belong." But, it'd be awesome if that ever did happen, that being Killer Crow, set in World War II about a group of African-American soldiers.

Are you kidding? Tyler Perry would be totally awesome as the Jean Vilain of the film.
post #91152 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post

Right now my friend Rolando and I are watching the Total Recall remake that I got yesterday at Wal-Mart. It's the steelbook edition. Surprise, surprise. I'M LIKING IT A LOT. So much, that I may have just gone into my top 10 of the year. I'm really not finding why I should hate it.

 

 

Wow. I mean, it's cool that you're your own man, Rene. With your own views and stuff. But... well, I wasn't expecting this at all.

post #91153 of 115340

I guess we all have own tastes, Mr Saxon. I have a few guilty pleasures myself (Knock Off and The Quest for example).

 

So my last new movie i watched in 2012 is Les Miserables. Anne Hathway's "I Dreamed A Dream" Song aside, this one is for die hard Musical fans. 158 mins of non-stop singing. The last 30mins were especially tiring.

 

On the whole 2012 has been a strong year for films. I deeply enjoyed TDKR and The Hunger Games. Some solid films (The Grey, The Raid, The Expendables 2). Some dissapointments (Prometheus and The Bourne Legacy). A few pieces of crap (Battleship).

 

Still i am hopeful for 2013. We have an interesting action lineup- Parker, The Last Stand, Bullet To The Head, Riddick, 47 Ronin, Red 2, G I Joe: Retaliation

 

P.S- I do wish Molt, Erix and some of our B-Thread regulars would come back though. I miss them a lot! wink.gif

post #91154 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

I guess we all have own tastes, Mr Saxon. I have a few guilty pleasures myself (Knock Off and The Quest for example).

 

 

Oh certainly. It's always better to not be part of the herd. I just couldn't imagine anyone putting Total Recall 2012 in their top ten. But that's Rene. His own guy!

post #91155 of 115340

I think Rene liked the FRIGHT NIGHT remake, too. Someone has a Colin Farrell man crush!

post #91156 of 115340

Any of you guys ever seen PRIMER? Brilliant, refreshing, pure science fiction.

 

This quote cracked me up, "anybody who claims he fully understands what's going on in Primer after seeing it just once is either a savant or a liar."

post #91157 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude hallenbeck View Post

Tarantino's next might be a black Expendables.
WASHINGTON - FOXX - ELBA - MACKIE - JAI WHITE - WILLIAMS also TYLER PERRY with JACKSON and SNIPES.

You had me until Tyler Perry was mentioned, then lost me until Samuel Jackson was mentioned.

post #91158 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Weapon View Post

 

Nope, I am not surprised at all you dig the Total Recall remake.

 

Not a bad point about using PSN cards... not that I am fully sure what those are, but then again I just presumed the gaming system would come up with an HDMI cable, but I found out what happens when you assume... the picture still looks real nice even at 480p but soon I'll have to find one to experience it in 1280p glory, which I am sure will be... well, glorious.

 

 

 

PSN Cards are basically vouchers that you pay either 20 or 50 bucks for and use the code they come with to deposit that same amount into your Playstation Network (PSN) account. It's a whole lot safer than putting your credit card info on there, AND it helps to monitor your spending. 20 bucks can go really fast on there, and you blow it all on buying games or renting movies? Just head out to Target/Best Buy/Wal-Mart, even a CVS Pharmacy, and buy another card to put money back on your account. That's why when the hacking happened I was "Eh, so what? I didn't putt my credit card info on there." and just went about playing games and watching Blu-rays.  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

 

 

Wow. I mean, it's cool that you're your own man, Rene. With your own views and stuff. But... well, I wasn't expecting this at all.

 

 

Now, I didn't say I like it more than the original or anything like that. That's madness. However, I greatly enjoyed the cool action sequences, and Farrell did a good job as the lead. Bryan Cranston is little more than an extended cameo, but most of his screen time is devoted to having a big fight with Farrell. Plus my top films list is always more than 10 entries anyway. I'm not limiting myself to only 10!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

 

Oh certainly. It's always better to not be part of the herd. I just couldn't imagine anyone putting Total Recall 2012 in their top ten. But that's Rene. His own guy!

 

 

That's me alright! I'm also putting Dark Shadows in there. Loved that hilarious movie a lot more than I was expecting to.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

I think Rene liked the FRIGHT NIGHT remake, too. Someone has a Colin Farrell man crush!

 

 

I did like it! Between that one and Total Recall, the Fright Night one is better, because it has the right balance of keeping old stuff, and bringing in new stuff, and making it all work really well. Had I seen it before I made my top films list last year, I would have put it high up on the list.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

Any of you guys ever seen PRIMER? Brilliant, refreshing, pure science fiction.

 

This quote cracked me up, "anybody who claims he fully understands what's going on in Primer after seeing it just once is either a savant or a liar."

 

 

I've seen it, and own the dvd. I still don't understand that confusing movie. It's still interesting though.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude hallenbeck View Post


Are you kidding? Tyler Perry would be totally awesome as the Jean Vilain of the film.

 

A totally awesome JEAN VILAIN would be Don Cheadle (have you seen him as Mouse in Devil In A Blue Dress? Guy is incredibly psychotic.), or even someone like LL Cool J, or dare I say it? ICE-T. These are all guys who I could see bringing the right amount of menace, while still understanding that their character is supposed to be over the top, and playing them as such.

 

 

 

Discovered that The Keep is expiring on Netflix on the 31st, so I'm watching it right now. I've got the tape, and that same tape I rented back in 2007, but finally being able to see it in its full widescreen aspect ratio is amazing.

post #91159 of 115340

Double feature of the night: WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP + PLAY IT TO THE BONE

post #91160 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
LOOPER is something that doesn't come down the pike too often - a legit, instant sci-fi classic. My favorite of the year so far.

 

That is definitely a film I need to see eventually.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude hallenbeck View Post
Are you kidding? Tyler Perry would be totally awesome as the Jean Vilain of the film.

 

You know, not a bad point. I'd certainly have no problem legit hating him as a villain!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post
PSN Cards are basically vouchers that you pay either 20 or 50 bucks for and use the code they come with to deposit that same amount into your Playstation Network (PSN) account.

 

OK. Sounds like a handy thing to use if you have a PS3. Me, I am definitely enjoying the XBox so far.

 

Tonight, there's a big UFC pay per view in Las Vegas with a Heavyweight title fight. I'll be back real late tonight to talk about the show, which celebrities are there, and that sort of thing.

post #91161 of 115340

A bit of random: Ron Shelton wrote the part of Crash Davis in BULL DURHAM with Kurt Russell in mind, but the studio insisted on the hot at the time Costner. Kurt was also Zemeckis' first choice for Eddie Valiant in WHO FRAMED ROGER RABIT, but was nixed by the studio after screen-testing. Man, the bombing of BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA really derailed Kurt's career. Studios even insisted on Seagal in EXECUTIVE DECISION because they didn't think Russell -coming off a hit STARGATE- could carry a film. Studios even nixed a third ESCAPE movie, sticking us with GHOSTS OF MARS instead. If only we ran Hollywood!

post #91162 of 115340

Is Seven Psychopaths worth a look?

post #91163 of 115340

Aren't you the guy who asked if anyone was going to see Texas Chainsaw 3D?  And you're wondering if Seven Psychopaths is worth a look?

 

Yes.  The answer is yes.

post #91164 of 115340

Yeah, its finally getting released in Jan here. I saw the trailer and seeing Collin Farrell, Christopher Walken, Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson together made me intrigued.

 

This looks interesting as well.

post #91165 of 115340

Got the Rocky Boxset in Blu Ray via an amazing offer from Amazon ($19.99 + Free Shipping!). Never got into the Rocky films as a kid: Saw III in a theater with my cousins and was entertained but it didn't make me eager to see any of the others. Got interested when Rocky Balboa came out (part 2 of the Stallone Renaissance!) and watched the first one, and now I'm hooked!

post #91166 of 115340

ROCKY III is amazing. One of the most purely entertaining movies ever made.

 

(Mr. T rules!)

post #91167 of 115340

Watching a little CHRISTINE on Sundance. i've always considered it a Carpenter misfire, but what it gets right - like Keith Gordon's deranged geek performance - really works, and is up with the best of my favorite Stephen King adaptations.

post #91168 of 115340

Don't really like Christine, but watch bits and pieces whenever it's on anyway. 

 

Kind of going crazy here, because I live in a rural area, and it will probably be a few weeks before I can get to DJANGO.  Not cool.

post #91169 of 115340

happy holidays gents.

 

just wanted to chime in with a few thoughts.

 

Haven't seen Jack Reacher yet, but looking forward to it.

 

I saw Resident Evil: Retribution...what a crock of shit.  And this is coming from a guy who liked the last one.  It was like a total rip off video game that just gives you zero story and a bunch of rooms to mess around with.

 

I saw Premium Rush...what a great flick.  Excellent camera work and stunt work.  I really really really enjoyed this.  Michael Shannon was a real asshole.  It is without a doubt the best bike messenger movie ever made, QUICKSILVER be damned.  YOUR MOVE BACON!

post #91170 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe T View Post

If I may pimp, I wrote about the ten best action movies of the year. Weigh in with your thoughts, maybe? Holiday cheer and all that shit.

 

Hope to catch UniSol, Thieves and Warriors of Seediq soon.  The rest of your list is a reminder of the good year we have had.  I wouldn't have put Haywire so high if I ever made a list myself.  I never have, but love to see others' for the sole reason of finding missed gems.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post

The absolute best player you can get is a PS3. If you have internet access at home, it can be constantly updated rather than having to put in a disc, or have it load slowly.

 

 

The PS3 may be the best, but not mine.  It apparently has a failing BD-drive, I get erratic playback despite using a lens cleaner.  

 

I'm looking for a stand alone player right now.  It will need to be multi-region as there are a serious number of great BDs coming out that I will want to buy.  I actually bought the THEY LIVE blu and found out that I couldn't find a work around to play it, but not before I got hit by customs who charged me 2/3 of the price I paid for the damn thing!!!!!!!

 

 vader.jpg

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

A random something that popped in my mind and i remembered today: Nic Cage dropped out of THE WRESTLER so that Mickey could star in it and get a much needed career boost. That was cool of him. Though part of me wonders what Cage would have been like in the role.

 

It has been a long time since he had the physicality to convince as a wrestler, but yes it would have been great.  The way Aronofsky tells it they wanted Rourke from the start but couldn't get the financing.  They got the financing with Cage and then asked if he would step aside and he did.  For all we know, Cage may have attached himself knowing they were going to do that.  He gets a thanks in the credits, I believe.  

 

Still, that translates as a 'you owe me one'.  Aronofsky needs to deliver Cage something substantial and soon.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude hallenbeck View Post

Tarantino's next might be a black Expendables.
WASHINGTON - FOXX - ELBA - MACKIE - JAI WHITE - WILLIAMS also TYLER PERRY with JACKSON and SNIPES.

 

I'll don't see that ever happening.  But you never know.....

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

LOOPER is something that doesn't come down the pike too often - a legit, instant sci-fi classic. My favorite of the year so far.

 

I was surprised at how small scale it was.  The trailer made it look like a huge sci-fi film.  Still, I thought it was great.

 

Crappy JGL to Willis transition, though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Woods' Career View Post

Enjoyed Johnny To's Vengeance on Amazon Prime. Gonna check out Exiled next.

 

You saw them the wrong way round.  Exiled came first and is better overall.  Vengeance is good, but it plays a little too much like Johnnie To catering to a western audience.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

 

So my last new movie i watched in 2012 is Les Miserables. Anne Hathway's "I Dreamed A Dream" Song aside, this one is for die hard Musical fans. 158 mins of non-stop singing. The last 30mins were especially tiring.

 

 

Still i am hopeful for 2013. .... 47 Ronin

 

P.S- I do wish Molt, Erix and some of our B-Thread regulars would come back though. I miss them a lot! wink.gif

 

You know what, I got that 'tiring' feeling from just the trailer.  I may still give it a chance for the respect I have for Jackman, Crowe and the 'special feelings' I have for Hathaway and Seyfried.

 

I'm not sure we'll get 47 Ronin in 2013; damn thing gets further away whenever a release is close.  

 

I do hope Molt and the others make a return soon.  They are the one of the many reasons I have stuck with the thread.  It would be time for Molt's upcoming list soon.  2013 would not be right if we didn't have that.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

Any of you guys ever seen PRIMER? Brilliant, refreshing, pure science fiction.

 

This quote cracked me up, "anybody who claims he fully understands what's going on in Primer after seeing it just once is either a savant or a liar."

 

Looking forward to Carruth's follow-up.  Proof you don't need money if you have a great idea.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

Is Seven Psychopaths worth a look?

 

Yes, it is.  I really enjoyed it was surprised but how easily it jumped back and forth between the humour and dead serious.  Normally, that only works in asian cinema, i was amazed that they pulled it off.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

Got the Rocky Boxset in Blu Ray via an amazing offer from Amazon ($19.99 + Free Shipping!). Never got into the Rocky films as a kid: Saw III in a theater with my cousins and was entertained but it didn't make me eager to see any of the others. Got interested when Rocky Balboa came out (part 2 of the Stallone Renaissance!) and watched the first one, and now I'm hooked!

 

All of them (bar V) are just so addictive.  I could watch them a hundred times and still be as hooked as I was the first time I saw them.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

Watching a little CHRISTINE on Sundance. i've always considered it a Carpenter misfire, but what it gets right - like Keith Gordon's deranged geek performance - really works, and is up with the best of my favorite Stephen King adaptations.

 

The Carpenter/Gordon commentary seems to acknowledge this.  They aren't afraid to point out the deficiencies in the film but know they made an entertaining one.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazer View Post

I saw Resident Evil: Retribution...what a crock of shit.  And this is coming from a guy who liked the last one.  It was like a total rip off video game that just gives you zero story and a bunch of rooms to mess around with.

 

I had the exact same problem as you.  There doesn't seem to be much difference between 4 and 5, but I found one to be entertaining and the other to be a bore.  I have no idea why.


Edited by Macready - 12/29/12 at 6:51pm
post #91171 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macready View Post

 

I do hope Molt and the others make a return soon.  They are the one of the many reasons I have stuck with the thread.  It would be time for Molt's upcoming list soon.  2013 would not be right if we didn't have that.

 

 

Well all we can do is hope for the best. I did an upcoming DTV List a few weeks back. Not as detailed as Molt's (of course). But hopefully it'll be a useful guide.

 

Upcoming 2013 Action List

 

Force of Execution (Steven Seagal)

Tomb Of The Dragon (Scott Adkins and Dolph Lundgren)

The Package (Dolph Lundgren)

Ninja 2 (Scott Adkins)

Enemies Closer (Van Damme)

Welcome To The Jungle (Van Damme)

The Eagle's Path (?)

12 Rounds: Reloaded

Tom Yum Goong 2

Death Race 3

 

The Last Stand

Parker

Bullet To The Head

A Good Day To Die Hard

Red 2

Fast 6

Riddick

Pain & Gain

Oblivion

Elysium

White House Down

The Tomb

post #91172 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Weapon View Post

Is he trying to deflect the controversy that has come from noted attention whore Spike Lee bemoaning the film for being "racist" because the N-word is used often... even though it's set in a time where the word was widely used? Seems ironic to stir up that when you have some people accusing you of being a racist yourself.

 

I don't believe Spike Lee is an attention whore; just a straight talker.  I genuinely believe people follow him and wait for him to say something that can be posted as news.  This seems to happen a lot.

 

This is not a criticism directed at you, but the media in general.  Spike made the point about the N-word when Jackie Brown came out.  I believe he was talking about the scene between Jackson and Chris Tucker, which I believe to be a fair point.  It is used a bit awkwardly and really stands out, but the scene was about Ordell manipulating Beaumont.

 

Spike's comments about Django were simply that he objected to a period of African-American holocaust being depicted as a Sergio Leone western.  He specifically stated that this was his opinion and his alone (no doubt because Sam Jackson is a personal friend and in the film also).  So how that comment, which I find to be non-controversial, turns into him calling a film racist is a bit of a mystery.  The exact same thing happened when he was doing press for Miracle at St Anna.  He used Flags of our Fathers as an example of WWII films that seem to ignore the existence of black soldiers in the military.  This was reported as 'Spike Lee calls Clint Eastwood a Racist!!!!'  They even started to trade insults and no one cared to state the point Spike was trying to make.  The fact that Miracle at St Anna was a collossal misfire is beside the point.  It would have been nice to have a good film about minority soldiers in WWII, though.  Wait a minute.......that was Adam Beach's part of the story in Flags of our Fathers!!!!!

 

In any case, Spike may be hearing talk of blind dismissals himself when Oldboy nears release.  He really has his work cut out to make that worth watching.  

 

Apologies for the long post, but I felt the need to point this out.

post #91173 of 115340

I pretty much dismissed the Rocky films as a kid, then around 2003, I rented the first 2 Rocky films on dvd, dug them well enough, but didn't see the rest. Then I saw Rocky Balboa in 2006, and loved it. That made me go back and see the rest, as I got that dvd boxset that has Rocky draped in the American flag when all the spines are lined up. Love the Rocky series now, and like many, Rocky IV is my preferred Rocky film.

 

Had a pretty good afternoon and evening. Just chilled out here at the house and ate some baked fish that was delicious. Saw My Fellow Americans on Netflix Instant since it's expiring on January 1st. It's a movie I hadn't seen, save for the ending on TBS or TNT several years ago, but I remembered all the trailers and tv spots for it. This is certainly a movie that needs to be seen by the denizens of this thread. Jack Lemmon and James Garner as Ex-Presidents (not like the Tv Funhouse sketch, but just as hilarious) who have to clear their names, and avoid a maniacal Everett McGill. They end up marching in a GAY PRIDE PARADE including a bunch of guys dressed up as DORTHY and they're playing SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW on their instruments, and James Garner tells Jack Lemmon "Decaf? YOU PUSSY!" Jack Lemmon also refuses to share his coffee with him since Garner's character is such a ladies man. He's such a ladies man that HE BEDS MARG HELGENBERGER.

 

Its also got John Heard as a character that is a not so thinly veiled jab at Gerald Ford. At one point Dan Aykroyd tosses a Lakers cap away, John Heard catches it and is elated and says "A hat!"

 

 

Now I'm watching Mother's Day on Blu-ray. Looks pretty good compared to that Media vhs I rented long ago. One of the demented brothers is played by FREDERICK COFFIN, known to us as Seagal's character's Lieutenant who is also taking care of his son in Hard To Kill. He was also in Shoot To Kill as one of the hikers.

post #91174 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
A bit of random: Ron Shelton wrote the part of Crash Davis in BULL DURHAM with Kurt Russell in mind, but the studio insisted on the hot at the time Costner. Kurt was also Zemeckis' first choice for Eddie Valiant in WHO FRAMED ROGER RABIT, but was nixed by the studio after screen-testing. Man, the bombing of BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA really derailed Kurt's career. Studios even insisted on Seagal in EXECUTIVE DECISION because they didn't think Russell -coming off a hit STARGATE- could carry a film. Studios even nixed a third ESCAPE movie, sticking us with GHOSTS OF MARS instead. If only we ran Hollywood!

 

Yes, if only. But I've said enough in the past about how Hollywood and that whole system is full of poppycock.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
This looks interesting as well.

 

 

Yep. It's amazing that WWE Studios is one of the producers involved. You just aren't used to them being a part of a movie that's actually good.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith F View Post
Kind of going crazy here, because I live in a rural area, and it will probably be a few weeks before I can get to DJANGO.  Not cool.

 

That is unfortunate. Still, welcome back.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazer View Post
happy holidays gents.

 

just wanted to chime in with a few thoughts.

 

I saw Premium Rush...what a great flick.  Excellent camera work and stunt work.  I really really really enjoyed this.  Michael Shannon was a real asshole.  It is without a doubt the best bike messenger movie ever made, QUICKSILVER be damned.  YOUR MOVE BACON!

 

And a "welcome back" to you too. Pretty soon I should rent Premium Rush as I thought it did look interesting from the previews.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macready View Post
Still, that translates as a 'you owe me one'.  Aronofsky needs to deliver Cage something substantial and soon.   

 

I do hope Molt and the others make a return soon.  They are the one of the many reasons I have stuck with the thread.  It would be time for Molt's upcoming list soon.  2013 would not be right if we didn't have that.

 

Oh yes I would not mind seeing Cage in a future Darren project where his talents can shine, and I don't mean just overacting to a tremendous degree.

 

I certainly am someone who also enjoyed Molt's entertaining previews of the upcoming year in film. I would be happy if he did have the time to do one for 2013.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macready View Post
I don't believe Spike Lee is an attention whore; just a straight talker.  I genuinely believe people follow him and wait for him to say something that can be posted as news.  This seems to happen a lot.

 

Well, I will be honest and say that my opinion of Mr. Lee soured after what happened years ago when The Nashville Network changed its name to Spike TV and he actually said that he wanted to sue the network "for using his name." Now THERE is an attention whore move, not to mention so incredibly stupid it's insulting to your intelligence. That is why I find it easy to believe that what he does is attention-seeking if you actually even threaten to file such a stupid lawsuit.

 

As I said before, tonight I went to the local Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the UFC pay per view. That restaurant did some stupid things that tried my patience, but maybe I'll rant about that in another post. After that and the problems I've had there in the past, I am starting to wonder how often I should go there in the future. It's a shame as there was a nice lady bartender there who also wasn't bad to look at. There were also some assclowns there; I tried to ignore them the best I could. The first part of the pay per view portion wasn't so bad, but the second half... real good stuff. Some real beatings happened in that second half. The prelim stuff was good so overall it was a fine experience of watching the show, even with the annoying aspects.

 

The celebrities they showed included some people that have been there before (Laura Prepon, Jaime Pressly, and hilariously MC Hammer) and others not there so much, like Anthony Kiedis, Everlast (yes he's still around) and the hot blonde known as Carrie Underwood. Also there was Iron Mike Tyson, who I remember was there once before.

post #91175 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Weapon View Post

 

Yep. It's amazing that WWE Studios is one of the producers involved. You just aren't used to them being a part of a movie that's actually good.

 

 

I thought The Marine was fairly good. But that's the only film in their lineup that can claim that.

post #91176 of 115340

Finished up Mother's Day, then went onto WHEN HARRY MET SALLY. A movie I saw last year on Netflix Instant after having heard of it for years. It's certainly a classic of the romantic comedy genre, and Billy Crystal is hilariously cynical.

 

 

Right now I'm watching the unrated director's cut of The Toxic Avenger Part II. I'd previously only seen parts of it back in the day when USA would show Troma movies (remember that?!), then rented the tape during the summer of 2002, and wasn't all that impressed. I'd heard that there is 2 different cuts of The Toxic Avenger Part II floating around on disc. One that says "Director's Cut" on the bottom, but is really the R-rated cut, and one that has a yellow Unrated tag in the upper left hand corner, that indicates it is the proper unrated director's cut. That's the one I got my hands on. Not bad so far. Its been pretty gruesome so far, and MICHAEL JAI WHITE FIGHTS WITH THE TOXIC AVENGER...AND LIVES! Yes, this was apparently his screen debut, and in the clip below, he's one of several thugs that fights with The Toxic Avenger, but he's the only one that actually lives. Then he shows up as one of the board members of the evil APOCALYPSE INC. so I'm assuming Lloyd Kaufman saw something in him that made him worth keeping around a bit longer rather than just having a quick gruesome death.

 

 

post #91177 of 115340

Speaking to a friend who'd just finished NIGHT WATCH and DAY WATCH, I was reminded of two recent big-budget flicks from Russia called THE VELVET REVOLUTION and PARAGRAPH 78.  Anyone around here seen them, by any chance?  And if so, how are they?

 

 

post #91178 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post

Speaking to a friend who'd just finished NIGHT WATCH and DAY WATCH, I was reminded of two recent big-budget flicks from Russia called THE VELVET REVOLUTION and PARAGRAPH 78.  Anyone around here seen them, by any chance?  And if so, how are they?

 

 

 

I dont think I was in the minority here but I was sorely disappointed by the NIGHT WATCH series when I finally got a hold of it.  I heard all these raves about Timur being the next big thing and saw both movies right around the time he first signed to direct WANTED.

 

The movies were hopelessly boring and actually pretty devoid of any real action scenes.  There were some interesting visual flairs here and there but not the sci fi action fests I was lead to believe they were!

post #91179 of 115340

Agree with you there, Fazer. Some nice visuals in the NIGHT WATCH films, but its mostly a muddled mess.

post #91180 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post

MICHAEL JAI WHITE FIGHTS WITH THE TOXIC AVENGER...AND LIVES! Yes, this was apparently his screen debut, and in the clip below, he's one of several thugs that fights with The Toxic Avenger, but he's the only one that actually lives. Then he shows up as one of the board members of the evil APOCALYPSE INC. so I'm assuming Lloyd Kaufman saw something in him that made him worth keeping around a bit longer rather than just having a quick gruesome death.

 

 

 

Holy Crap! I've not seen this movie for years and never realised Michael Jai White was in this. I'm going to be forwarding this clip to about four other people today seeing as I have several friends who share my love of Michael Jai White. We first caught sight of him in Exit Wounds (which we watched in the theatre - man, those were the best days to be a Seagal fanboy!) Love his introduction in that movie, where you see his huge arm first followed by the rest of him. 

post #91181 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Weapon View Post

Well, I will be honest and say that my opinion of Mr. Lee soured after what happened years ago when The Nashville Network changed its name to Spike TV and he actually said that he wanted to sue the network "for using his name." Now THERE is an attention whore move, not to mention so incredibly stupid it's insulting to your intelligence. That is why I find it easy to believe that what he does is attention-seeking if you actually even threaten to file such a stupid lawsuit.

 

Oh he's is definitely prone to being full of shit sometimes.  I didn't mention it in my original post but during an interview on British radio, he was dismissive of the french film, La Haine (with Vincent Cassell).  His reason?  He had been told it was a straight copy of Do The Right Thing.  Erm, really?!!  He said he hadn't seen it and based on what he had been told it was a copy.

 

I think both films are great and maybe La Haine was partly inspired by Spike's film, but the film reflected what was going on in France at the time.  A copy it is not.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post

 

Right now I'm watching the unrated director's cut of The Toxic Avenger Part II. I'd previously only seen parts of it back in the day when USA would show Troma movies (remember that?!), then rented the tape during the summer of 2002, and wasn't all that impressed. I'd heard that there is 2 different cuts of The Toxic Avenger Part II floating around on disc. One that says "Director's Cut" on the bottom, but is really the R-rated cut, and one that has a yellow Unrated tag in the upper left hand corner, that indicates it is the proper unrated director's cut. That's the one I got my hands on. Not bad so far. Its been pretty gruesome so far, and MICHAEL JAI WHITE FIGHTS WITH THE TOXIC AVENGER...AND LIVES! Yes, this was apparently his screen debut, and in the clip below, he's one of several thugs that fights with The Toxic Avenger, but he's the only one that actually lives. Then he shows up as one of the board members of the evil APOCALYPSE INC. so I'm assuming Lloyd Kaufman saw something in him that made him worth keeping around a bit longer rather than just having a quick gruesome death.

 

Yeah, MJW did the rounds before he became a name.  I remember seeing a bargain basement film called, Ballistic with Marjean Holden and Richard Roundtree.  He was just a fighter who had had a lot of screen time and no lines.  He looked pretty much the same as he does now, 17 years later.

post #91182 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post

Now, I didn't say I like it more than the original or anything like that. That's madness. However, I greatly enjoyed the cool action sequences, and Farrell did a good job as the lead. Bryan Cranston is little more than an extended cameo, but most of his screen time is devoted to having a big fight with Farrell. Plus my top films list is always more than 10 entries anyway. I'm not limiting myself to only 10!

 

I've got to agree with you Rene.  I really enjoyed the latest TOTAL RECALL.  It's in no way shape or form as good as the original but it is a very fun action movie.  The Extended Directors Cut is even better than the theatrical cut.  I'm not sure if it will make my top 10 but it's certainly going to get an honorable mention. 

 

By the way, I also like the FRIGHT NIGHT remake. 

post #91183 of 115340

Dre dissed and dissmissed the TOTAL RECALL remake as such on Twitter: "The remake plays like I would image the 1990 film would if directed by Paul Michael Glaser instead of Paul Verhoven."

post #91184 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

Dre dissed and dissmissed the TOTAL RECALL remake as such on Twitter: "The remake plays like I would image the 1990 film would if directed by Paul Michael Glaser instead of Paul Verhoven."

 

Nice!  A producer who can rap and control the maestro... and a film critic.  Is there nothing Dre can't do?

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

(I know you probably mean Dellamorte, but a fella can dream, can't he?)

post #91185 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post

 

By the way, I also liked the FRIGHT NIGHT remake. 

 

Same here. I was pleasantly surprised by it.

post #91186 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

 

Holy Crap! I've not seen this movie for years and never realised Michael Jai White was in this. I'm going to be forwarding this clip to about four other people today seeing as I have several friends who share my love of Michael Jai White. We first caught sight of him in Exit Wounds (which we watched in the theatre - man, those were the best days to be a Seagal fanboy!) Love his introduction in that movie, where you see his huge arm first followed by the rest of him. 

 

 

He actually comes out quite a bit in the movie, and does a lot of jumping spin kicks and cool stuff like that! I'm pretty sure that's what he showed off to Lloyd Kaufman, and that's why he decided to keep him on. He also comes out in Part III, though I don't recall if he does any martial arts in it or not. I did also purchase part III last week, so it should be on its way to me, and I should have it soon, and I'll report back on if he does anymore martial arts, as it has been 10 years since I've seen that one also!

 

 

I saw Exit Wounds about 3 times in the theater. So much ridiculous action in it. It's an action fan's dream. Too bad The Sensei didn't parlay this comeback vehicle into more.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macready View Post

 

Oh he's is definitely prone to being full of shit sometimes.  I didn't mention it in my original post but during an interview on British radio, he was dismissive of the french film, La Haine (with Vincent Cassell).  His reason?  He had been told it was a straight copy of Do The Right Thing.  Erm, really?!!  He said he hadn't seen it and based on what he had been told it was a copy.

 

I think both films are great and maybe La Haine was partly inspired by Spike's film, but the film reflected what was going on in France at the time.  A copy it is not.

 

 

Yeah, MJW did the rounds before he became a name.  I remember seeing a bargain basement film called, Ballistic with Marjean Holden and Richard Roundtree.  He was just a fighter who had had a lot of screen time and no lines.  He looked pretty much the same as he does now, 17 years later.

 

 

Michael Jai White really does look pretty much the same now as he did back in 1989. It's incredible. His friggin' arms are about the same size too. You figure maybe he'd be skinnier back then, but no, he was as ripped then as he is now.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post

I've got to agree with you Rene.  I really enjoyed the latest TOTAL RECALL.  It's in no way shape or form as good as the original but it is a very fun action movie.  The Extended Directors Cut is even better than the theatrical cut.  I'm not sure if it will make my top 10 but it's certainly going to get an honorable mention. 

 

By the way, I also like the FRIGHT NIGHT remake. 

 

 

Good to hear you enjoyed the film too, Gunner! I know there's a few other gents on here who have enjoyed it as well. I liked the Ethan Hawke scene in the Extended Director's Cut. I never saw the movie in the theater, but I knew about the scene, so it was cool to finally see it.

post #91187 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post

He actually comes out quite a bit in the movie, and does a lot of jumping spin kicks and cool stuff like that! I'm pretty sure that's what he showed off to Lloyd Kaufman, and that's why he decided to keep him on. He also comes out in Part III, though I don't recall if he does any martial arts in it or not. I did also purchase part III last week, so it should be on its way to me, and I should have it soon, and I'll report back on if he does anymore martial arts, as it has been 10 years since I've seen that one also!

 

I saw Exit Wounds about 3 times in the theater. So much ridiculous action in it. It's an action fan's dream. Too bad The Sensei didn't parlay this comeback vehicle into more.

 

 

I'm going to have to watch Part III now, just to see what MJW gets up to! Actually, it'll be a good excuse to increase my knowledge of Troma seeing as I've only ever watched two of their movies (Toxic Avenger and Poultrygeist).

 

You saw Exit Wounds three times in the theatre? That's pretty awesome, and surely secures your title as one of the ruling kings of this thread!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko)

 

Good to hear you enjoyed the film too, Gunner! I know there's a few other gents on here who have enjoyed it as well. I liked the Ethan Hawke scene in the Extended Director's Cut. I never saw the movie in the theater, but I knew about the scene, so it was cool to finally see it.

 

I too have a soft spot for the Fright Night remake which is odd because I kind of expected to hate it (seeing as the original was a favorite of mine during my teen years). I guess part of it has to do with my appreciation of David Tennant as i'd have to turn in my Doctor Who fan card if I didn't support his career. Colin Farrell was really great in that movie too, though. I think he's much more enjoyable to watch as a bad guy (see also his villainous turn in Daredevil) than when he's playing the straight lead in something like Total Recall 2012.

 

I didn't know about this Ethan Hawke scene!

post #91188 of 115340

MAGIC MIKE, LAWLESS, or BERNIE?

 

Think i'm gonna get my Channing Tatum on!

post #91189 of 115340

I liked Magic Mike the best... it's more of a seventies-style working-class comedy-drama. Close to something like "Shampoo" maybe. "Bernie" ok, but very low-key (actually, I thought it was a little boring... only somewhat amusing and insightful), and "Lawless" is a low-temperature macho man b-movie that Walter Hill would have knocked out of the park -- feels more like a double or triple instead, but that's still decent. Also, Tom Hardy's always fun, and you get a colorful villain turn by Guy Pearce.

post #91190 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I thought The Marine was fairly good. But that's the only film in their lineup that can claim that.

 

True. Not everything they've done is pure shit. Just most of it is. I did enjoy The Marine. What a goofy yet entertaining slice of something you'd expect from the 80's with some weirdness and massive explosions.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post
Right now I'm watching the unrated director's cut of The Toxic Avenger Part II. I'd previously only seen parts of it back in the day when USA would show Troma movies (remember that?!), then rented the tape during the summer of 2002, and wasn't all that impressed. I'd heard that there is 2 different cuts of The Toxic Avenger Part II floating around on disc. One that says "Director's Cut" on the bottom, but is really the R-rated cut, and one that has a yellow Unrated tag in the upper left hand corner, that indicates it is the proper unrated director's cut. That's the one I got my hands on. Not bad so far. Its been pretty gruesome so far, and MICHAEL JAI WHITE FIGHTS WITH THE TOXIC AVENGER...AND LIVES! Yes, this was apparently his screen debut, and in the clip below, he's one of several thugs that fights with The Toxic Avenger, but he's the only one that actually lives. Then he shows up as one of the board members of the evil APOCALYPSE INC. so I'm assuming Lloyd Kaufman saw something in him that made him worth keeping around a bit longer rather than just having a quick gruesome death.

 

That's quite the nice find. I had zero idea he was in that film. Then again I haven't seen too many Troma films in my lifetime. Believe it or not I don't think that too many of them are for my tastes.

 

Today, I've spent time watching football and fooling around with the XBox. Buying an HDMI connector last night and hooking that up to it... 1080p gaming is oh so glorious. I'll probably spend time with that tomorrow also; I won't be going out into all the craziness of New Years Eve (I almost never do, anyhow) and I'll either be on the 360 or I'll find something on TV to watch.

post #91191 of 115340

Thanks be to the CHUD B Movie Thread for alerting me to the existence of The Beast! One of the best 80's Action flicks that I had no idea even existed! After watching this film I was startled to learn that it was based on a stage play. Now I'm wondering how they translated all that Mujaheddin on Russian Tank action onto the stage. Even the obviously American (one guy sounds Texan!) accents couldn't ruin this movie.

 

Highly recommended.

post #91192 of 115340

THE BEAST is pretty awesome. My second favorite Reynolds after FANDANGO.

post #91193 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe T View Post

I liked Magic Mike the best... it's more of a seventies-style working-class comedy-drama. Close to something like "Shampoo" maybe. "Bernie" ok, but very low-key (actually, I thought it was a little boring... only somewhat amusing and insightful), and "Lawless" is a low-temperature macho man b-movie that Walter Hill would have knocked out of the park -- feels more like a double or triple instead, but that's still decent. Also, Tom Hardy's always fun, and you get a colorful villain turn by Guy Pearce.

 

 

Magic Mike would have been something Paul Schraeder would have made back then. Probably with Travolta or Gere in the lead. Perhaps Travolta would turn down the role and Gere would take it as has really happened in real life?

 

 

My friend Rolando surprised me with a text message this after noon asking if I wanted to see Jack Reacher, so of course I said yes, since I'd been looking forward to it for a while. It most certainly lived up to the high expectations I had for it. Cruise is amazing in the role, and it has the best car chase I've seen all year. It's a procedural with brutal fights in it! I really want a sequel now, and hope that it turns into a franchise for Cruise. I'm on board with this Jai Courtney guy for McClane 6. He played a menacing bad guy. Almost as menacing as WERNER HERZOG as THE ZEC. He's got one of the greatest voices EVER.

 

Afterward we headed to Buffalo Wild Wings and I ate a tasty burger. Hadn't been there since the last time he and I went there. Right now we're watching Wrath Of The Titans on Blu-ray. Still pretty good from when I saw it in the spring, and I'm the resident Worthington fan here, so it gets a thumbs up from me either way.

post #91194 of 115340

Ha, funny you should say that, Eko, because I put in GIGOLO after MIKE.

post #91195 of 115340

According to my Diary, its been exactly one year since i saw THE DARKEST HOUR in Theatres.

 

I actually liked this Alien Invasion flick set in Russia (despite its critics). It even stars Dredd star Olivia Thirlby.

post #91196 of 115340

Watched Out For Justice. I hate Sensai but he made a damn fine action film in the beginning of his career. I felt awful for William Forsythe. I know he's too much of a fatass to be a realistic combatant but he just got his ass beaten raw. Sensei was a damn bully.

 

I'm gonna watch Above The Law next. Is Marked For Death good or is more like Hard To Kill?

post #91197 of 115340

Watched LAWLESS. A big step down from the director's previous film THE ROAD, but still an intriguing misfire that's worth a look. I thought Tom Hardy made interesting choices in how he played the leader of the brothers - speaking with a mumbled hillbilly slur, yet projecting a commanding presence and cool dignity, completely believable as someone with the legend of being industructable. Best thing about the film though is probably its soundtrack.

post #91198 of 115340
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

According to my Diary, its been exactly one year since i saw THE DARKEST HOUR in Theatres.

 

 

 

Dear Diary: is my taste questionable? Yes.

post #91199 of 115340

My own taste is questionable as well because I'm about to watch the Rene recommended IN TIME.

post #91200 of 115340

I loved Lawless but I'll agree with you that it's a step down from The Road. Still, I can't remember another scene this year (other than possibly the entire end of Killer Joe) which made me squirm as much as when

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Hardy's character is restrained by one man whilst another cuts open his neck

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Films in Release or On Video
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › Films in Release or On Video › The B Action Movie Thread